Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Another TCM Programming Challenge

Hi scarlett -

Yep. Guest Programmers are expected to pick films from the TCM library or films that have been shown on TCM in the past. Guest Programmers don't have luxury of choosing premieres. Are you thinking of joining in on programming a week of TCM? There is still a good amount of time to prepare a week. This Challenge is "open" until October 8th. We'd really love you to join in.

And welcome back to the boards. Sounds like you had a great trip.

Kyle In Hollywood

Hello Challengers -

A few of you who are much more forward thinking than I have been asking about programming for the "TCM Underground" showcase beginning on TCM this fall. It completely slipped my mind about how to approach that schedule option.

Though I am reluctant to do it at this point in the Challenge, I believe the correct decision for me to make is to allow anyone wishing to include a "TCM Underground" Showcase on their schedule to program it using any film they feel is appropriate to the genre. It has also been pointed out that it seems to be a "Double Feature" Showcase so one is free to choose any two films for that Showcase.

In that spirit, I have amended the guidelines in my previous postings about this Challenge to include "TCM Underground" in that "free premiere" zone along with "Silent Sunday Nights" and "TCM Imports". Challengers can choose any film of that genre to program for these Showcases. Of course, one need not include "TCM Underground" in their week of programming either.

I am kicking myself for over-looking this aspect of the TCM schedule. I guess I got caught with my biases hanging out. I am not looking forward to Rob Zombie so I wasn't being forward looking enough to plan for it.

As MattHelm and allieharding have already posted their schedules, of course they are free to make changes to them if they wish because of the late change to the guidelines. (allieharding did include "TCM Underground" on her schedule but is free to amend it if she wishes if this change will affect her schedule options.)

I sincerely hope I haven't thrown a wrench into the works of anyone's schedule with this amendment to "Another TCM Programming Challenge" at this point in the Challenge. But I think this is the most fair way to proceed.

Kyle In Hollywood

I forgot all about the Underground when making my schedule, but I guess a couple of my Friday night flicks like, The Ghost in the Invisible Bikini, and Hillbillys [sic] in a Haunted House, count. Although they're a little early. I have enough camp that night to make up for forgetting the Underground. Hell, I was camp when camp wasn't cool, when programming for the Challenge. Do the Imports have a new night, like in allie's Sunday Imports, since Zombie's picks takes it's place? It seems like a lot of staples in programming change in October.

MattHelm wrote -

"Hell, I was camp when camp wasn't cool..."

Dare I say truer words were never posted.

MattHelm-

I went back and looked at your schedule for Friday night and thought you might very well have been programming with Rob Zombie in mind.

I think there may be a shake-up in the weekly showcase schedule. It looks like TCM Imports is going to follow Silent Sunday Nights and the weekly western and musical showcases aren't in the usual weekend spots on the November schedule I looked at either.

Kyle In Hollywood

MattHelm wrote -

"Hell, I was camp when camp wasn't cool..."

Dare I say truer words were never posted.

I'll drink to that.

I don't mind them changing the staples around a bit to incorporate other genres. Film Noirs, Musicals and Westerns can be seen anytime, any day on TCM. I do wish they'd move Zombie to Saturdays and start his picks at midnight, because it's been a tradition to play these underground films in theaters at that time. There's a documentary about these films, shown recently on Encore called, Midnight Movies, and how theaters created a cult following for these films. Plus, I'm on the east coast and it's a chore to stay up to watch a movie at 2 AM, never mind a double feature.

MattHelm -

I think the single national satellite feed of TCM keeps "The Underground" from starting any earlier than scheduled. TCM is very consciencious about adult content (themes and images) being shown only after 11 pm west coast time. (I believe the one showing of The Exorcist on TCM began after midnight out here.) Guess you'll have to record "The Underground" and watch it with your Saturday morning coffee. But then that may conflict with you catching the serials Saturday morning. Maybe Saturday afternoon but there is that college football game....

Decisions. Decisions.

Kyle In Hollywood

hlywdkjk,

You asked about the WHY of my programming? Thank you very much for asking...

First, the fact that two "guests" chose "The Devil And Daniel Webster" indicates that TCM is required (as soon as possible) to lease and broadcast the movie. I bought the Criterion DVD and a very good digital version is now available. Actually, I wanted to watch "Devil's Cabaret" (I have never seen the film) and "The Devil and Daniel Webster" was a good introduction to my chosen short film.

"Turn Back The Clock", because this was not scheduled last Lee Tracy day and is required Lee Tracy viewing.

"The Match King", because I watched a few minutes of the movie several years ago (on TCM) and I consider "The Match King" to be the most important missing item in my classic movie education. Why most important? I don't know why...I just need to watch the thing.

"Skyscraper Souls", because it stars Warren Williams and seemed a nice fit with "The Match King".

"Forbidden Games", because it was the first sub-titled film I noticed and liked (my introduction to European films). I watched the movie in a high school film study class (the teacher stuffed the curriculum with foreign films) and "Forbidden Games", along with "400 Blows", were the two films from the class I remember as...uh, most memorable. For an introduction to foreign films, I would probably have chosen something by Clouzet...but I didn't.

Note, I did not write I thought "My Mother The Car" is the worst series ever...merely the opinion of some unnamed group. My opinion (worst tv series)...same time frame as "My Mother The Car"? Well, of course, "Green Acres". I am kidding....I AM KIDDING.

Rusty

jarhfive/Rusty -

I am pleased you enlightened us about your film choices as Guest Programmer for MattHelm. I knew there were some very good reasons for your choosing them.

As to any of the selections becoming a reality on the TCM schedule, From your keyboard to you-know-who's computer screen. He has already announced his presence and has been excited with the schedules posted so far. Hopefully he has made note of your evening's line-up. I suspect he makes more notes than he lets on.

If it is any consolation, I would like to see each of them also.

Kyle In Hollywood

ps - Hooterville didn't change for the better when Oliver and Lisa arrived. Ah, for the days of the Shady Rest and Billie Jo, Bobby Jo and Betty Jo. Someday I hope to skinny-dip in a water tower.

allieharding and timelessjoancrawford -

Thanks again for posting your film selections. "Great line-ups" to both of you.

And timelessjoancrawford, I and everyone else around here would love to know why you selected these films for your stint as Guest Programmer. Hope you enlighten all of us whe you have the chance.

Kyle In Hollywood

""Skyscraper Souls", because it stars Warren Williams and seemed a nice fit with "The Match King"."

These are very good movies! Skyscraper Souls is sort of a "Grand Hotel" in a big skyscraper that is much taller than the Empire State Building.

The Match King is basically a true story, about a man who became a billionaire making and selling matches in Europe. He made his money with shady financial deals and loans. He died in the early '30s.

Alas Kyle, I don't possess the technical means to record TCM. Which is good, since I've never acquired the taste for college football. But Sundays are another story ... gotta have my Patriots games. September is great, because I can watch the Patriots and the Red Sox on the same day.

And I've never even seen 'My Mother the Car.' Nor did I know that Ann Sothern was attached to it, until you mentioned it. I can only sadly guess that she did the voice for the car.

As a kid, I used to have fantasies about Billie Jo, Bobby Jo and Betty Jo, while watching Petticoat Junction ... then they'd show Uncle Joe, and it ruined everything.

MattHelm -

Your assumption on "Mother's" voice is correct. And her son was Jerry Van Dyke. I can only say I saw it as child but remember very little of it. ( Mother was a model T or a Flivver is about all I can say with any certainty. Some rickety jalopy Andy Hardy would have never sat down in.) Growing up in a area with only two television stations, one watched what was on and didn't know any better.

I am sure I had no idea who Ann Sothern was as a kid. I think the first television star that I connected to being a (former) film star was either "Miss" Barbara Stanwyck in "The Big Valley" or Joan Blondell in "Here Comes The Brides". (How's that for an obscure television show?) Srangely, it is probably the latter.

Kyle In Hollywood

Kyle:

I remember it also. "The bluest skies you ever saw are in Seattle....", Bobby Sherman. Looking back it seems a reduced version of "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" with no dancing.

Also, my schedule is about as done as it will be. I just need time to type it all in. Comparatively mainstream, it is not as clever or as wonderfully eccentric as the others but it's what I could do.

Chris

Hi movieman1957 -

Thanks for the lyric. Immediately the melody resurrected itself in my brain and will be bouncing through my head the rest of the day.

Glad you have announced your participation in "Another TCM Programming Challenge" here. Hope it has been an enjoyable experience so far and more fun that being a cheerleader for the participants from the sidelines.

I know there are many folks that are happy to learn you are involved this time out. We are all looking forward to seeing it when it is ready to be posted. And I bet it will be great week of TCM programming.

Happy to have you aboard, Chris.

Kyle In Hollywood

What These Challenges Mean to Me

I am pleased to see more entries to the challenge and I have added a little something to explain what these challenges mean to me.

When I start doing one of these weekly programming challenges I have to use the analogy of how it felt when I was a kid and I got the Sears Christmas Catalog (Wish Book) in the mail. I grabbed it as soon as it came in November and took it to my room to pick out all the stuff I wanted for Christmas. The same thing is true here because I am picking out all of the movies that I would like to see (A wish list).

So in other words, my weeks programming is condensed. I would never expect to see these movies in one weeks programming or even within three months on TCM. A more reasonable projection would be to see 40% of them show up stretched out over a 6 to 18 month period. It is a much better way of suggesting a movie to TCM then using any other method because you can be 100% shore that you do have the ear of TCMProgrammer because you are talking his language. There is no reason what so ever why anyone here cannot put together a week?s program if they are true movie lovers. You know what you like and you know how many 1 1/2 or 2 hours there are in a day.

It's with a great deal of nervousness that I present my schedule. I do have a few notes on it that I'm going to post afterwards. For now, here it is!

Sunday February 25th: A Day Devoted to Oscar

Forgotten Nominees

6:00 am - The Dark at the Top of The Stairs (1960) Dorothy McGuire, Angela Lansbury (ps/WB) 124 min. (Nominated: Shirley Knight, Best Supporting Actress, 1961)

8:15 am - Three Comrades (1938) Robert Taylor, Margaret Sullavan (MGM) 100 min. (Nominated: Margaret Sullavan, Best Actress, 1939)

10:00 am - The Guardsman (1931) (MGM) 82 min. (Nominated: Alfred Lunt, Best Actor; Lynn Fontanne, Best Actress, 1932)

Documentary Newsreel

11:30 am - Cavalcade of the Academy Awards (1939) (WB) 30 min.

An Oscar Afternoon of "Hollywood and the Stars"

12:00 - The African Queen (1951) Humphrey Bogart, Katharine Hepburn (ps/UA) 105 min. (Best Actor, Bogie)

2:00 - Hollywood and the Stars: 'The Man Called Bogart' (1963) (UA) 30 min. (TCM Premiere)

2:30 - Hollywood and the Stars: 'The Unsinkable Bette Davis' (1964) (UA) 30 min. (TCM Premiere)

3:00 - Jezebel (1938) Bette Davis, Henry Fonda (WB) 105 min. (Best Actress, Davis)

5:00 pm - Hollywood and the Stars: 'The Oscars - Moments of Greatness Pts. 1& 2' (1964) (UA) 60 min. (TCM premiere)

TCM Essential

6:00 pm - The Best Years of Our Lives (1946) Frederic March, Myrna Loy (ps/RKO/Goldwyn) 172 min.

Evening Theme: A Best Picture Selection

9:00 pm - All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) Louis Wolheim, Lew Ayres (ps/Universal) 131 min.

11:15 pm - Hollywood and the Stars: 'The Oscars - Moments of Greatness Pts. 1& 2' (1964) (UA) 60 min. (encore presentation)

Silent Sunday Nights

12:15 am- Wings (1927) Clara Bow, Charles Rogers (Paramount) 141 min. (TCM Premiere)

TCM Import

2:45 am - Lo Scopone Scientificio (The Scientific Cardplayer) (1972) Bette Davis, Joseph Cotten, Alberto Sordi (? - CIC) 113 min

Every year an elderly American millionairess and her chaffeur come to Rome to play a game of cards with a poor Italian husband and wife

4:40 am - Short: The Present With a Future (1943) Bette Davis/War Bonds trailer (WB) 3 min.

4:45 am - Documentary: Bette Davis: the Benevolent Volcano (1983) 60 min.

5:45 am - Short: Breakdowns of 1938 (WB) 10 min.

Monday February 26th

James A. FitzPatrick's birthday: Traveltalks shorts in between movies all morning long

Paula Prentiss mini-marathon

6:00 am - Where the Boys Are (1960) George Hamilton, Dolores Hart (MGM) 99 min

7:45 am - The Horizontal Lieutenant (1962) Jim Hutton, Paula Prentiss (MGM) 90 min.

9:15 am - The Honeymoon Machine (1961) Steve McQueen, Jim Hutton (MGM) 87 min.

10:45 am - Follow the Boys (1963) Connie Francis, Paula Prentiss (MGM) 95 min

12:20 pm (approx) - Traveltalk: Romantic Riviera (1953) (MGM) 9 min.

Location, Location, Location

12:30 pm - Light in the Piazza (1962) Olivia de Havilland, Yvette Mimieux (MGM) 102 min.

2:20 pm (approx) - Traveltalk: Visiting Italy (1951) 8 min. (MGM)

2:30 pm - The Subterraneans (1960) Leslie Caron, George Peppard. (MGM) 89 min

4:01 pm (approx) - Traveltalk: Cavalcade of San Francisco (1940) MGM 9 min.

4:15 pm - Flying Down to Rio (1933) Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers (RKO) 89 min.

5:50 pm (approx) - Traveltalk: Rio de Janerio: City of Splendour (1936) (MGM) 10 min.

6:00 pm - They Met in Bombay (1941) Clark Gable, Rosalind Russell (MGM) 92 min.

7:32 pm (approx) - Festival of Shorts: Traveltalks

-Colorful Bombay (1937) (MGM) 10 min.

-India on Parade (1937) 10 min. (MGM)

-Hong Kong: "The Hub of the Orient" (MGM) 8 min.

"Make It Work": A Salute to Fashion and Vintage Style in the Movies

8:00 pm - The Women (1939) Norma Shearer, Joan Crawford (MGM) 133 min.

10:15 pm (approx) - Hollywood Style Center of the World (1940) (MGM) 11 min

10:30 pm - Designing Woman (1957) Gregory Peck, Lauren Bacall (MGM) 118 min.

12:30 am - Roberta (1935) Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers (RKO) 106 min.

2:20 am (approx.) - "'Made in Paris' featurette" (MGM) - 7 min.

2:30 am - Made in Paris (1966) Ann-Margret, Louis Jourdan (MGM) 103 min

4:15 am - Fashions of 1934 (1934) William Powell, Bette Davis (WB/First National) 78 min.

5:40 am - Short: Ladies Last (1930) (MGM) 20 min.

Tuesday February 27th

The Subject is in the Movie: Actors that had songs written about them

6:00 am - Old Acquaintance (1943) Bette Davis, Miriam Hopkins (WB) 110 min. (Bette Davis)

8:00 am - Far From the Madding Crowd (1967) Julie Christie, Terence Stamp (MGM) 168 min. (Julie Christie)

11:00 am - The Toast of New York (1937) Cary Grant, Edward Arnold (RKO) 109 min. (Frances Farmer)

1:00 pm - The Search (1948) Montgomery Clift, Ivan Jandi (MGM) 105 min. (Montgomery Clift)

An Afternoon With Gig Young and the Ladies

3:00 pm - Ask Any Girl (1959) David Niven, Shirley Maclaine. (MGM) 98 min.

4:45 pm - The Gay Sisters (1942) Barbara Stanwyck, George Brent (WB) 110 min.

6:45 pm - The Girl Who Had Everything (MGM) Elizabeth Taylor, William Powell (1953) 69 min.

Guest Programmer Night: mrsl

Theme: Connecting Actors

8:00 pm - Interrupted Melody (1955) Glenn Ford, Eleanor Parker (MGM) 106 min.

9:50 pm - Short: Have Faith in Our Children (1955) 3 min. (Glenn Ford, Eleanor Parker)

10:00 pm - Home From the Hill (1960) Eleanor Parker, Robert Mitchum (MGM) 150 min.

12:45 am - Two For the Seesaw (1962) Robert Mitchum, Shirley Maclaine (ps/UA) 119 min.

3:00 am - Irma La Douce (1963) Shirley Maclaine, Jack Lemmon (ps/UA) 147 min.

5:35 am (approx) - Short: 1955 Motion Picture Theatre Celebration (1955) (MGM) 18 min.

Wednesday February 28

Fun with Numbers

6:00 am - Zero Hour! (1957) Dana Andrews, Linda Darnell (ps/Paramount) 81 min.

7:30 am - One is a Lonely Number (1972) Trish Van Devere, Janet Leigh, Melvyn Douglas (MGM) 97 min.

9:15 am - Two Against the World (1932) Constance Bennet. (WB) 70 min

10:30 am - The Story of Three Loves (1953) Kirk Douglas, James Mason (MGM) 122 min.

12:45 pm - Four's a Crowd (1938) Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland (WB) 92 min

2:30 pm - Five and Ten (1931) Marion Davies, Leslie Howard (MGM) 88 min

4:00 pm - The Secret Six (1931) Wallace Beery, Jean Harlow (MGM) 83 min

5:30 pm - Seven Women (1966) Anne Bancroft, Sue Lyon (MGM) 87 min

7:00 pm - Private Screeings: Patricial Neal (2004) 60 min.

Theme of the Month: Franchise Films

From the Radio to the Screen: Henry Aldrich night (all TCM premieres)

8:00 pm - Henry Aldrich for President (1941) Jimmy Lydon, Charles Smith (same for all five movies) (Paramount) 75 min

9:30 pm - Henry Aldrich, Editor (1942) (Paramount) 72 min

10:45 pm - Henry and Dizzy (1942) (Paramount) 71 min

12:00 am - Henry Aldrich Gets Glamour (1943) (Paramount) 72 min

1:15 am - Henry Aldrich Swings It (1943) (Paramount) 64 min

Same Characters, Different Actors: the Joel & Garda Sloane trilogy

2:30 am - Fast Company (1938) Melvyn Douglas & Florence Rice (MGM) 75 min.

3:45 am - Fast and Furious (1939) Franchot Tone & Ann Sothern (MGM) 73 min.

5:00 am - Fast and Loose (1939) Robert Montgomery & Rosalind Russell (MGM) 80 min.

Thursday March 1st

William A. Wellman's Invisible Birthday Bash (born Feb. 29)

6:30 am - Safe in Hell (1931) Dorothy Mackaill, Donald Cook (WB) 73 min.

7:45 am - Love is a Racket (1932) Douglas Fairbanks Jr., Ann Dvorak (WB) 72 min.

9:00 am - The Public Enemy (1931) James Cagney, Jean Harlow WB 83 min.

10:30 am - The Purchase Price (1932) Barbara Stanwyck, George Brent (WB) 68 min. (TCM print)

11:45 am - Stingaree (1934) Irene Dunne, Richard Dix (RKO) 73 min.

Actors Appearing as Themselves

1:00 pm - Dancing Lady (1933) (MGM) 92 min. (Fred Astaire, Nelson Eddy)

2:45 pm - Hollywood Canteen (1944) (WB) 124 min. (Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, plus others)

5:00 pm - Looking for Love (1964) (MGM) 85 min. (Johnny Carson, Paula Prentiss, plus others)

6:30 pm - It's a Great Feeling (1949) (WB) 85 min. (Jack Carson, Dennis Morgan, plus others)

Starring Alan Arkin

8:00 pm - The Heart is a Lonely Hunter (1968) Alan Arkin, Sondra Locke (ps/WB) 123 min.

10:15 pm - The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming! (1966) Alan Arkin, Carl Reiner (ps/UA) 126 min.

12:30 am - Wait Until Dark (1967) Audrey Hepburn, Alan Arkin (ps/WB) 107 min.

2:30 am - The In-Laws (1979) Alan Arkin, Peter Falk (ps/WB) 103 min.

4:15 am - Hearts of the West (1975) Jeff Bridges, Alan Arkin MGM 102 min.

Friday March 2nd

Felix Bressart Birthday Salute

6:00 am - Blossoms in the Dust (1941) Greer Garson, Walter Pidgeon (MGM) 99 min

7:45 am - Third Finger, Left Hand (1940) Myrna Loy, Melvyn Douglas (MGM) 96 min.

9:30 am - Three Hearts for Julia (1943) Melvyn Douglas, Ann Sothern (MGM) 90 min.

11:00 am - Without Love (1945) Spencer Tracy, Katharine Hepburn (MGM) 111 min.

1:00 pm - The Seventh Cross (1944) Spencer Tracy, Signe Hasso (MGM) 110 min.

3:00 pm - Ninotchka (1939) Melvyn Douglas, Greta Garbo (MGM) 111 min.

5:00 pm - Mr. and Mrs. North (1942) Gracie Allen, William Post Jr. (MGM) 67 min.

6:15 pm - The Shop Around the Corner (1940) James Stewart, Margaret Sullavan (MGM) 99 min

Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward: Together and Apart

8:00 pm - Paris Blues (1961) Paul Newman, Sidney Poitier, Joanne Woodward (ps/UA) 98 min

9:45 pm - Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams (1973) Joanne Woodward, Martin Balsam, Sylvia Sydney (Columbia) 93 min (TCM Premiere)

11:25 pm - (approx.) - Short: "Five Minutes From the Station" (1930) Sylvia Sydney (WB) 14 min.

11:45 pm - Harper (1966) Paul Newman, Lauren Bacall, Shelley Winters (ps/WB) 121 min.

TCM Underground: Compare & Contrast night

2:00 am - The Mad Room (1969) Shelley Winters, Stella Stevens (Columbia) 93 min. (remake) (TCM Premiere)

3:45 am - Ladies in Retirement (1941) Ida Lupino, Elsa Lanchester (Columbia) 91 min (original) (TCM Premiere)

5:20 am - Festival of Shorts - 40 min.

- La Fiesta de Santa Barbara (1935) (MGM) 19 min. (Ida Lupino)

- Starlit Days at the Lido (1935) (MGM) 20 min. (Robert Montgomery)

Saturday March 3

Money is the Root of all Evil

6:00 am - Faithless (1932) Tallulah Bankhead, Robert Montgomery (MGM) 77 min.

7:30 am - Smart Money (1931) Edward G. Robinson, James Cagney (WB) 81 min.

9:00 am - Baby Face (1933) Barbara Stanwyck, George Brent (WB) 71 min

10:15 am - Gambling Lady (1934) Barbara Stanwyck, Joel McCrea (WB) 66 min.

11:30 am - Cartoon Alley: Droopy Cartoons

- Deputy Droopy (1955) (MGM) 7 min.

- Dixieland Droopy (1954) (MGM) 8 min.

- Droopy's Double Trouble (1951) (MGM) 7 min.

Robert Morse to Doris Day

12:00 pm - Quick Before it Melts (1964) Robert Morse, Anjanette Comer (MGM) 97 min.

1:45 pm - (approx) "'Quick Before it Melts' featurette": Milton, Fox, Esq. (1964) (MGM) 6 min.

2:00 pm - Where Were You When the Lights Went Out? (1968) Doris Day, Robert Morse (MGM) 89 min.

3:30 pm - (approx) Featurette: Rowan & Martin at the Movies (1968) (MGM) 11 min.

3:45 pm - Calamity Jane (1953) Doris Day, Howard Keel (ps/WB) 101 min.

Star of the Month: Arthur Kennedy

5:30 pm - Air Force (1943) Arthur Kennedy, Gig Young (WB) 124 min.

8:00 pm - Elmer Gantry (1960) Burt Lancaster, Jean Simmons (ps/UA) 146 min. (TCM Essential)

10:30 pm - A Summer Place (1959) Dorothy McGuire, Arthur Kennedy (ps/WB) 130 min.

12:45 am - Rancho Notorious (1952) Marlene Dietrich, Arthur Kennedy (RKO) 90 min.

2:15 am - Bad Men of Missouri (1941) Jane Wyman, Arthur Kennedy (WB) 71 min

3:30 am - Highway West (1941) Arthur Kennedy, Brenda Marshall (WB) 64 min.

4:45 am - Strange Alibi (1941) Arthur Kennedy, Joan Perry (WB) 63 min.

A few notes on my choices:

My knowledge of classic movies isn't quite as extensive as some of those on the boards (I've been watching TCM for the past three years or so), so my schedule isn't as spectacular as the others I've seen. Nonetheless, it's the best I could do and I'm very pleased with the end result. I mainly chose movies that I've seen and loved, or I haven't seen and would like to see, but I know I'll love anyway. My favorite kind of movies are pre-codes, letterboxed melodramas and sex comedies from the 50's/60's (specifically from MGM, but I'll be happy with almost anything else!) and almost anything from the 40's. Where applicable, I inserted a short or a featurette that corresponds with the movie either shown before or after. The times for those are approximate. For time references, I used IMDB, my old Now Playing guides and TCM schedules that I found on the Wayback machine.

Sunday:

February 25th, 2007 is the day of the Oscar ceremony. And while TCM does the 31 Days of Oscar, I decided that it would be more fun to just devote an entire day of programming to it. All the movies I picked are either winners or were nominated. To further celebrate, I chose 4 episodes of the 1963-4 television series, "Hollywood and the Stars" that focus on Bogie, Bette Davis and a 2 part Oscar special as one of my premieres. It's narrated by my all time favorite actor, Joseph Cotten, and would seem perfectly at home on TCM, since it's a time capsule of the Golden Age of Hollywood.

For my Silent Sunday, I chose "Wings". I'm not sure if this would be a Premiere or if TCM has shown it before. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not really into silents. I'm slowly getting into them, so my knowledge on those is very sketchy.

For my Import, I chose an obscure Italian movie called "Lo Scopone Scientificio" that stars Bette Davis, Joseph Cotten, Alberto Sordi and Silvana Mangano. The latter two won the Best Actor/Actress David di Donatello awards, which are the equivalent to our Oscars.

Monday:

I really, really, really wanted to throw in a bunch of Paula Prentiss movies, so I did. I adore her. Plus the majority of her movies are those fluffy, glossy MGM 60's comedies that I love. February 26th is also James A. FitzPatrick's birthday, of FitzPatricks Traveltalks fame. So in between the latter half of the afternoon movies, I paired a movie with a Traveltalk short that would reflect on the location in the film that was just shown.

The nightly theme is basically my love of Project Runway taking over my brain. Plus, I love the old movies with the fashion shows and all the beautiful gowns! It's a great example of "they don't make 'em like that anymore!" I really wanted to do a night of cooking and food themed movies and group them under the theme "Flavor of Love" Ha ha ha.

Tuesday:

My first love (when I was in high school and college) was music, mostly indie stuff. Back then, I really wasn't into movies so whenever one of these songs would come on (except for the Bette Davis one), I'd always wonder who these actors were, especially the Julie Christie mention in "Tom Courtenay." And now, all these years later, I know. It's all come full circle for me!

The songs for each actor are:

"Bette Davis Eyes" by Kim Carnes

"Tom Courtenay" by Yo La Tengo

"Frances Farmer Will Get Her Revenge on Seattle" by Nirvana

"Monty Got a Raw Deal" by R.E.M.

I asked mrsl to be my guest programmer. I mainly read her posts in the Rob Zombie thread which concerned ideas about "young people" (I think I can still lump myself in that group) and I posted in response. We went back and forth with opinions and then I thought it would be a fun idea to see what kind of movies she'd program. Oddly enough, 3/4's of the movies she chose are ones I've seen and enjoyed. So much for the generation gap. Thanks, for your help, Anne! And if you want to jump in here and post to why you picked these specific movies, you're more than welcome to do so!

Wednesday:

The "Fun with Numbers" theme was inspired by the Beyonce song I was listening to at the time. Yes, I'm inspired by Beyonce and I like her music. Please don't stone me. Also, I added the Patricia Neal Private Screenings after "Seven Women" because she was originally slated to play the Anne Bancroft role. I like things to connect, if possible.

I picked a relatively unknown series for my Franchise Film theme. I mainly found out about the Henry Aldrich movies series by looking through the filmography of Charles Smith, who played Rudy in "The Shop Around the Corner." The Aldrich Family was an old time radio show that began as a summer replacement for The Jack Benny Show, but grew to be just as popular. Paramount ended up with the movie rights, which were an answer of sorts to MGM's Andy Hardy series.

Thursday:

I always said that if I ever participated in one of these challenges, I'd do a nightly theme of Alan Arkin movies. And since he's getting attention for his role in "Little Miss Sunshine", I thought the timing was perfect. He's one of my favorites and out of all my favorite "classic" actors, the only one that's still, uh, alive. (knocks on wood)

Friday:

My favorite character actor of the 40's is Felix Bressart. In fact, it was finding out that his birthday fell on March 2nd, that shaped my entire schedule. I don't think "The Shop Around the Corner" or "Ninotchka" would be the same without him. And I'm always surprised and pleased when he pops up in a movie because I find he adds charm and humor to a scene.

My second favorite real life/on screen couple is Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward (second to Tracy/Hepburn), so I decided on giving them a night of movies where they appear together and apart. I also "Premiered" a movie of Ms. Woodward's called "Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams" that also stars Martin Balsam (another one of my favorites) and Sylvia Sydney.

My idea of TCM Underground isn't horror/gore type stuff. I'm one of those people who sit through horror movies with their hands over their eyes. My favorite "cult" type movies are those late 60's/early 70's films with Shelley Winters, where she chews the scenery. My mother kept a scrapbook of the movies she and my father went to see while they were dating, and one of the movies she saw (much to my surprise and excitement) was "The Mad Room". It's a horror movie from 1969 that stars Shelley Winters and Stella Stevens. It's a remake of the 1941 movie, "Ladies in Retirement." For my TCM Underground selections, I've included them both as a "Compare and Contrast" feature.

Saturday:

I've saved the best for last, IMO. For my 'Star of the Month', I chose Arthur Kennedy. While he's not a leading man, he's definitely one of those under-appreciated character actors who always manages to turn out a good performance, no matter how poor the script. For my Weekly Essential, I chose "Elmer Gantry" which has my favorite Arthur Kennedy performance. I added a late 50's melodrama (I Love those!), Rancho Notorious (according to his biography, he loved working with Marlene Dietrich, but hated working with Fritz Lang) and three of the b-movies he starred in while while signed to Warners in the early 40's.

I really loved doing this! I don't know if I'll have the time if there's another challenge, but I would definitely do this again (despite the fact that I murdered my brain with the time scheduling and if there are any mistakes, please point them out. Math was never my strong suit.) I'm sorry this is so long winded, but I'm one of those people who like to talk and it spills over into my writing as well.

Also, thank you to Kyle for being so patient with my PM questions about the challenge and for putting up with me.

allieharding -

What a great analogy and a great post. I think it should become a part of all future Challenge announcements - a staple of sorts on the level of "Twas A Night Before Christmas", if I may continue the holiday analogy.

Over the next few months, I hope you find your TCM stocking is overflowing. But I bet you find many gifts on TCM even without filling out a wishlist.

But I am very glad you filled out "the wishlist" known as "Another TCM Programming Challenge". It is always a pleasure to have you as a Challenger.

Kyle In Hollywood

sugarpuss -

What a great maiden effort for a week of TCM programming. I am so pleased that you chose to participate and it was my pleasure to be of assistance to you while putting it all together. Your Private Messages were never a bother.

mrsl - Thanks to you, also, for being sugarpuss' Guest Programmer and I hope you find the time to share with us any insight to your choices for your evening of films on TCM. I'd love to hear from you what motivated these selections.

Thanks to both of you being a part of "Another TCM Programming Challenge". I hope the two of you enjoyed working on this schedule.

Kyle In Hollywood

Archived