Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Black Magic

CaveGirl

I decided to set my alarm to watch this movie in real time on Sunday morning and I am so glad I did!

I thought I had seen all of the films with Welles as actor or director, but this one must have been less often shown. It was a masterful retelling of the legend of Cagliostro, who was born to poor gypsy parents who were hung, and this creates a vengeance to pay retribution to the Viscount who sent them to the gallows.

The film was in magnificent b&w and also starred Akim Tamiroff, Valentina Cortese, with Berry Kroeger I think as the author, Alexandre Dumas [Pere] and Raymond Burr as A.D., Fils!

The storyline about Cagliostro as a child meeting Doctor Mesmer, was well, mesmerizing. The court intrigues about Marie Antoinette and Madame Dubarry were fascinating, and Welles was young, slender and magnificent. This film was a perfect blend of romance, intrigue and spectacle.

Anyone else watch?

• Like 2

I saw Black Magic years ago and recall quite enjoying it.

If memory serves me correctly, it has terrific photography and great set design. I also recall enjoying Orson Welles's highly theatrical turn as Cagliostro. He must have been in melodramatic over-the-top form around then, for the same year as this film he was similarly commanding and baritone voiced dramatic as Cesare Borgia in Prince of Foxes.

• Like 1

I saw Black Magic years ago and recall quite enjoying it.

If memory serves me correctly, it has terrific photography and great set design. I also recall enjoying Orson Welles's highly theatrical turn as Cagliostro. He must have been in melodramatic over-the-top form around then, for the same year as this film he was similarly commanding and baritone voiced dramatic as Cesare Borgia in Prince of Foxes.

It is a fabulous film and really deserves a much wider reputation. I think the credits said it was directed by Gregory Ratoff but IMDB says Orson was uncredited as co-director. It certainly seems to be his style. Thanks for your thoughts, Tom!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings