Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DVDSNC

CaveGirl

Welcome to the bi-weekly meeting of the DVD Shopaholic Nonanonymous Club.

We have no 12-step program since we are not into curing our addiction.

The purpose of the club is to meet and discuss any new dvd purchases we have made in the last 3-4 days and you must post bi-weekly. I'll start since I have been very busy buying more dvd's to put into my giant Rubbermaid containers which need to be filled asap.

Last week I bought the boxed set of the complete tv series, "Science Fiction Theatre" hosted by Truman Bradley. Now I was not expecting much being that it is from like 1955-1957 and I assumed would be in black and white, not that there is anything wrong with that.

Imagine my surprise to start Disc One and see it appear in beautiful living color and very good prints. Plus oddly enough the first episode was called "Beyond" and curtailed wonderfully with a chapter of a book I am reading about UFO's from the tv show "Decoded". I can see now that SFT heavily influenced later tv sci-fi shows like "Outer Limits" and "Twilight Zone" even though it was a bit more based on tales from reality.

I also purchased a boxed set of "One Step Beyond" episodes hosted by John Newland which is marvy also and has many stars who later went on to Hollywood films.

Well, I must say I am very pleased with my shopping and highly recommend the above sets.

If you would like to join the club, first you must submit to a test detailing how often you shop for dvd's and then you must keep up your average monthly of at least two offerings or you might be kicked out of the club pronto for being a slacker.

If you are already in the club and were not blackballed, then please list your most recent dvd buys and your reviews.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Ha, ha, CaveGirl.

My current DVD player that bleeds colour has not been  replaced with the new DVD player that does not bleed colour but ther ehas been no time or tech help doing this yet.  That has not stopped me from having purchased the DVD of Hitchcock, the movie starring Anthony Hopkins as the director about the making of Psycho. 

I would like to wait until my new DVD player is installed to watch this new to-me movie.

GPF, I just spent like five hours reading all the literature on setting up my cable in a bedroom and programming all the channels. Whew! Who knew that if you take more than two minutes to replace the batteries in the new remote that came with the digital box, that you would lose all the programming already inset.

Don't you just have to put the red, white and yellow jacks into place on both units for hooking up your new dvd player? Or do you have your HDMI connection going through the dvd player and into the tv HDMI connection? 

I heard Dargo is good at mechanical things. I bet he would come over and do this for you, if you promised him some snacks and paid him with a dvd of "You Bet Your Life" episodes.

Or I can give you an old Marx Brothers poster I used to have up my basement as payment for him. Just ask!

• Like 1

GPF, I just spent like five hours reading all the literature on setting up my cable in a bedroom and programming all the channels. Whew! Who knew that if you take more than two minutes to replace the batteries in the new remote that came with the digital box, that you would lose all the programming already inset.

Don't you just have to put the red, white and yellow jacks into place on both units for hooking up your new dvd player? Or do you have your HDMI connection going through the dvd player and into the tv HDMI connection? 

I heard Dargo is good at mechanical things. I bet he would come over and do this for you, if you promised him some snacks and paid him with a dvd of "You Bet Your Life" episodes.

Or I can give you an old Marx Brothers poster I used to have up my basement as payment for him. Just ask!

Hmmm.  I might take you up on that poster offer...

Lol, you're singing my song...

Speaking of only very recently, I bought DVDs of Stepford Wives, In the Heat of the Night, and The Civil War by Ken Burns.

Whoa, was that the new "Stepford Wives" or the original, Eugenia?

Love ITHOTN!

That Ken Burns really does make the best documentaries. They are the sine qua non, of documentaries because I think he tries to unearth every bit of film, photos and other artifacts to delineate the stories without worrying about how long it will take of what it will cost. I will watch documentaries of his on topics that otherwise I would not even care about.

Thanks for your response and you are now a charter member of the DVDSNC!

Whoa, was that the new "Stepford Wives" or the original, Eugenia?

Love ITHOTN!

That Ken Burns really does make the best documentaries. They are the sine qua non, of documentaries because I think he tries to unearth every bit of film, photos and other artifacts to delineate the stories without worrying about how long it will take of what it will cost. I will watch documentaries of his on topics that otherwise I would not even care about.

Thanks for your response and you are now a charter member of the DVDSNC!

Yes, should have specified - the original!  It was so shocking the first time i watched it, and I can't wait to see it again.

I try to get movies that I've already seen and liked (so that I don't waste too much money), and I love ITHOTN too...  I just finished The Civil War and it was very emotional.  I think Ken Burns brought documentary filmmaking to a whole new level; it's "entertaining", not just "a learning experience".

I'll go on DVD "binges" and buy many over a short period of time.  Other DVDs I got recently were Cape Fear, The Omen, Our Gang Silents (3 volumes), Lazybones, "The Fugitive" series, and on and on.

Yes, should have specified - the original!  It was so shocking the first time i watched it, and I can't wait to see it again.

I try to get movies that I've already seen and liked (so that I don't waste too much money), and I love ITHOTN too...  I just finished The Civil War and it was very emotional.  I think Ken Burns brought documentary filmmaking to a whole new level; it's "entertaining", not just "a learning experience".

I'll go on DVD "binges" and buy many over a short period of time.  Other DVDs I got recently were Cape Fear, The Omen, Our Gang Silents (3 volumes), Lazybones, "The Fugitive" series, and on and on.

I so agree, about Burns I mean.

Yep, I think the old Stepford was the best. Wasn't it written by Ira Levin of "Rosemary's Baby" fame? You got some great stuff. I'm assuming "CF" is also the old one, and love that Fugitive series.

I think David Janssen always looked so sad in that show, but it was not because he was being pursued for killing his wife. It was because he came from an old show biz family, and had a horrid stage mother who was like an old chorine and almost forced him into the business, saying that there was "no other business than show business". Scary!

Update: Just found this article on Janssen's stage mother. Check out articles on Berniece Graf or the following:

http://www.ew.com/article/1993/08/13/david-janssens-stage-mother

• Like 1

I have entirely too many DVD's and Blu ray's. I'm going to have to rearrange my shelves soon and get a few new ones, as I've started to double up on some shelves and I hate to do that.

You started this thread during the slowest season of my DVD buying in the past few years. I've reached that point where I have most of the older films I want, and very few new ones are coming along that I'm interested in. It's been a few weeks, but the last new one I got was the Criterion Blu Ray of Bicycle Thieves. I don't think I have another one ordered until next month's release of In a Lonely Place, also from Criterion.

• Like 1

I have entirely too many DVD's and Blu ray's. I'm going to have to rearrange my shelves soon and get a few new ones, as I've started to double up on some shelves and I hate to do that.

You started this thread during the slowest season of my DVD buying in the past few years. I've reached that point where I have most of the older films I want, and very few new ones are coming along that I'm interested in. It's been a few weeks, but the last new one I got was the Criterion Blu Ray of Bicycle Thieves. I don't think I have another one ordered until next month's release of In a Lonely Place, also from Criterion.

I own both of those films, Lawrence!

To join this club you need to admit if you alphabetize your dvd's?

Also, a true addict has at least once bought the same title twice, because they have too many films on dvd. I had to start making a list of what I own since it was up in the 600 film stratosphere and I'd forget what I had already. Thanks!

Also, a true addict has at least once bought the same title twice, because they have too many films on dvd. I had to start making a list of what I own since it was up in the 600 film stratosphere and I'd forget what I had already. Thanks!

I alphabetize my DVDs and I still have VHS. I never did get into Blue ray.

As for multiple copies of movies.  Due to boxed sets and buying DVDs of old VHS films I have more than one copy of;

The 39 Steps

I routinely PVR movies I own on DVD or VHS when they air on TCM or Silver Screen Classics (Canadian channel) so I can watchthem multiple times.

I alphabetize my VHS tapes alphabetically by label.  If I didn't do that I'd never be able to find anything.  I've got 87+ boxes of VHS tapes.  Collected tapes here 'n' there over the past 27 years since I was 16. 

I only have some 120 DVD's.  No Blu-Rays. 

As far as 'double-dipping' somehow I've ended up with 6 copies of JEREMIAH JOHNSON (1972).  I never intended to get so many tapes of 'JJ', but here is the breakdown:

1 early-release VHS Warner big, cardboard box (from 1981)

3 Warner clamshell releases.  2 of them are minty with un-faded artwork and they were all cheap. 

1 Warner small-box VHS in 'Full Screen'

1 Warner small-box VHS of 'Jeremiah Johnson' in  W I D E S C R E E N  

I also have 5 copies of the 1982 UK PAL-format VHS release of THE CAREY TREATMENT (1972) on MGM Home Video.  I used to have 10.  All 5 of my remaining 'CAREY's are very tidy -and- have original Cast Cards inside the big, silver boxes.  (THE CAREY TREATMENT was never released on VHS in the U.S.; I bought all those PAL tapes before the U.S. DVD-R release, btw). 

I know I don't actually qualify for this thread cos I'm a tape collector first and foremost, but I just had to put my put 2¢ worth into the topic.  Please excuse me. 

Cheers.  (P.S.  I ♥ mylar).       

• Like 3

Cavegirl - I absolutely alphabetize my DVD's. You have to, or how would you find the one you wanted? As per your second part, I assume you mean accidentally, and not an "upgrade" to a blu ray or special edition DVD. If so, then yes, despite my efforts to be ever vigilant, I mistakenly bought the same movie twice, just this past year. It was Exterminators in the Year 3000 on Blu Ray. I bought it during the Halloween sale on the Shout Factory website, and then forgot that I had, and bought it again the next Halloween sale! I gave the extra as a gift to someone I obviously don't care for (if you've seen the movie, you know what I mean).

GPF - I still have about 50-75 VHS tapes, as well. Things I can't get on disc yet.

• Like 2

Cavegirl - I absolutely alphabetize my DVD's. You have to, or how would you find the one you wanted?

My DVDs are categorized first by favorite actors: all Cary Grant movies, Tracy/Hebpurn movies, Jean Arthur movies, etc.  

After that, they are organized by period of time - 1920s films, 1930s films, 1940s films, etc.  

When I think about what movie I want to watch, first I think about what time period I want to be transported to on that day.  Or I think to myself, "I want to watch a Clark Gable movie," and I can look in one place for them, rather than going through the whole shebang.

After the movies are the TV show DVDs, in chronological order, then the "extras" like documentaries, music video collections, etc. :)

• Like 2

As for multiple copies of movies.  Due to boxed sets and buying DVDs of old VHS films I have more than one copy of;

The 39 Steps

I routinely PVR movies I own on DVD or VHS when they air on TCM or Silver Screen Classics (Canadian channel) so I can watchthem multiple times.

Excellent, GPF!

You go to the front of the group for admitting you alphabetize. Some people are ashamed to admit it, but it shows true addiction to films.

• Like 1

I alphabetize my VHS tapes alphabetically by label.  If I didn't do that I'd never be able to find anything.  I've got 87+ boxes of VHS tapes.  Collected tapes here 'n' there over the past 27 years since I was 16. 

I only have some 120 DVD's.  No Blu-Rays. 

As far as 'double-dipping' somehow I've ended up with 6 copies of JEREMIAH JOHNSON (1972).  I never intended to get so many tapes of 'JJ', but here is the breakdown:

1 early-release VHS Warner big, cardboard box (from 1981)

3 Warner clamshell releases.  2 of them are minty with un-faded artwork and they were all cheap. 

1 Warner small-box VHS in 'Full Screen'

1 Warner small-box VHS of 'Jeremiah Johnson' in  W I D E S C R E E N  

I also have 5 copies of the 1982 UK PAL-format VHS release of THE CAREY TREATMENT (1972) on MGM Home Video.  I used to have 10.  All 5 of my remaining 'CAREY's are very tidy -and- have original Cast Cards inside the big, silver boxes.  (THE CAREY TREATMENT was never released on VHS in the U.S.; I bought all those PAL tapes before the U.S. DVD-R release, btw). 

I know I don't actually qualify for this thread cos I'm a tape collector first and foremost, but I just had to put my put 2¢ worth into the topic.  Please excuse me. 

Cheers.  (P.S.  I ♥ mylar).       

Only 120 dvd's, eh? Well I'm sure you will catch up quickly, Mr.G.!

That's hilarious about JJ. I think you may be a record setter on that one. My closest similar overpurchasing might be that many versions I have of "Vampyr" on all formats, and in many languages.

Anyone who loves "mylar" is a wonderful human being. I'm sure many current film collectors on dvd, also have VHS tapes in storage just in case their dvd player goes out.

I thought that you wouldn't get a true hi-def picture if you use the old red, white, and yellow cables. That, and it screws up the aspect ratio.

Or, at least, the latter is what I found with my old DVD player. 4:3 movies I could get to show up properly if I set the proper aspect ratio on the TV, but wide-screen movies like Mahogany didn't look right no matter what I tried. Thankfully, the old DVD player was also freezing quite a bit, so I had an impetus to get a new player. I got the Sony BDP-S1500 (I think; the instructions list three different models; I've got the bottom of the line model since I don't do 3D TV) Blu-Ray player. That, the HDMI cable, and the tax came to about $81. Setup was a breeze; the most difficult thing was getting through the mass of cables/plugs behind the entertainment unit. :) Now every DVD I've tried looks to have the correct aspect ratio, with one exception, and that one I think it's the DVD not being listed in the proper aspect ratio on the box.

I haven't bought any Blu-Rays yet, although I think I've got the Saboteur Blu-Ray in my Amazon cart waiting for me to make another order. (I've got an order of several DVD box sets on the way currently, so it'll be a while before I make another purchase.)

• Like 1

I thought that you wouldn't get a true hi-def picture if you use the old red, white, and yellow cables. That, and it screws up the aspect ratio.

Or, at least, the latter is what I found with my old DVD player. 4:3 movies I could get to show up properly if I set the proper aspect ratio on the TV, but wide-screen movies like Mahogany didn't look right no matter what I tried. Thankfully, the old DVD player was also freezing quite a bit, so I had an impetus to get a new player. I got the Sony BDP-S1500 (I think; the instructions list three different models; I've got the bottom of the line model since I don't do 3D TV) Blu-Ray player. That, the HDMI cable, and the tax came to about $81. Setup was a breeze; the most difficult thing was getting through the mass of cables/plugs behind the entertainment unit. :) Now every DVD I've tried looks to have the correct aspect ratio, with one exception, and that one I think it's the DVD not being listed in the proper aspect ratio on the box.

I haven't bought any Blu-Rays yet, although I think I've got the Saboteur Blu-Ray in my Amazon cart waiting for me to make another order. (I've got an order of several DVD box sets on the way currently, so it'll be a while before I make another purchase.)

Yeah, you are right, Fedya. I had to hook up my dvd player first from the outside cable HDMI thingie and then with another connection going up through the HDMI jack on my tv. If one still has an older model without blue-ray or HDMI, then they would still be using the red, white and yellow cables to the tv monitor.

"Saboteur" definitely would be great to own on dvd. Thanks for your post. It is interesting to me to see what different people here are purchasing on dvd or maybe I am just a very nosy person trying to pry into other's collections.

• Like 2

Cavegirl - I absolutely alphabetize my DVD's. You have to, or how would you find the one you wanted? As per your second part, I assume you mean accidentally, and not an "upgrade" to a blu ray or special edition DVD. If so, then yes, despite my efforts to be ever vigilant, I mistakenly bought the same movie twice, just this past year. It was Exterminators in the Year 3000 on Blu Ray. I bought it during the Halloween sale on the Shout Factory website, and then forgot that I had, and bought it again the next Halloween sale! I gave the extra as a gift to someone I obviously don't care for (if you've seen the movie, you know what I mean).

GPF - I still have about 50-75 VHS tapes, as well. Things I can't get on disc yet.

A true movie buff you are, Lawrence!

I happily have not seen "Exterminators in the Year 3000" but if I do see it on sale I will remember not to buy it for you as a gift.

Glad to hear you too alphabetize, as all good dvd addicts do!

• 3 weeks later...

I've purchased two discs this past week: the 2-disc DVD of Murnau's The Last Laugh from 1924, and a Blu-Ray of the Blood Trilogy: Blood Feast, Two Thousand Maniacs and  Color Me Blood Red.

Hey, Lawrence I own that "TLL" on dvd and it is wonderful.

I've never ordered a Hershell film, for fear of the blood running out of my monitor but if I did it would be "Gruesome Twosome".

• Like 1

I bought a tape very recently from an obscure lil' video label called 'NASHVILLE CINEMA PARTNERS' (NCP).  From what I can tell the label consists of 6 releases.  They are all RON ORMOND films.  His son, Tim Ormond, started the label circa 1996 and released six films directed by his dad. 

The movie I bought was PLEASE DON'T TOUCH ME (1959). 

The other 5 movies on the NCP label:

UNTAMED MISTRESS (1957)*

FORTY ACRE FEUD (1965)* (this was the 1st release)

GIRL FROM TOBACCO ROW, The (1966)*

WHITE LIGHTNIN' ROAD (1967)*

MONSTER AND THE STRIPPER, The (1968) (aka:  "The Exotic Ones").

I have 5 of the 6 'Nashville Cinema Partners' releases.  The only one I'm lacking is "Monster and the Stripper, The".  The sellers I've seen on eBay and Amazon with this title for sale are asking too much for my budget so it's a 'no-go' for now.  I'm confident one of these days I'll snag it, tho!    

-----------------------------------------------------------

It seems Ron Ormond started out directing "B"'-westerns in the '40s and after surviving a plane crash circa 1968/69 he converted to Christianity believing God had spared him and began making Christian exploitation movies (!) in the '70s like "If Footmen Tire You, What Will Horses Do?" (1971) and several others in connection with Rev. Estus W. Pirkle.   

• Like 2

The last time I checked Amazon and eBay was a couple weeks ago and the prices for 'MONSTER AND THE STRIPPER' were $200 bucks!  Ouch.  Some 8-ball even had it for sale on Amazon for $424.99.  I don't consider that a serious listing as there's very little chance of someone paying that much for it. 

When I bought FORTY-ACRE FEUD about 5 months ago there was only 1 listing for it on eBay and none on Amazon yet it was only $7.99 + $3 shipping.  My kind of price tag!  

None of the other four movies cost an arm and a leg, either.  They were priced a little higher than 'FEUD', but nothing close to the current prices of THE EXOTIC ONES. 

----------------------------------------------------------

Another recent pick-up from a couple months ago was SORRY, WRONG BEDROOM (1973) on the long-gone Imperial Video Corp. label.  It's a West German sex comedy dubbed into English.  From what I gathered the Imperial Video Corporation only existed from 1983-84.  Perhaps another company bought them up or bought them out?  I've determined there to be 12 releases from Imperial.  I have 5 of the twelve.  There could be more than just the 12 releases but I don't know where to look to find if any other titles were released?

IVC 102  PETS

IVC 105  FEMALE BUNCH, The

IVC 106  2069:  A SEX ODYSSEY

IVC 109  SORRY, WRONG BEDROOM

IVC 112  CONTRACT TO KILL

-----------------------------------------------------

If I were to try and collect all 12 releases from Imperial I'd need these:

IVC 101 BARBED WIRE DOLLS (sleaze from Jess Franco)

IVC 103 OFFICE GIRLS

IVC 104 CHIMPO'S WILD ANIMAL SAFARI (I'd only buy this if it were cheap)

IVC 107 CONFESSIONS OF A BLUE MOVIE STAR

IVC 108 AMOROUS ADVENTURES OF DON QUIXOTE AND SANCHO PANZA, The

IVC 110 DOWN-IN-THE-HOLE-GANG, The

IVC 111 THREE WILD RIDERS (aka:  "Cycles South") 

The chances of me finding the other 7 are slim to none, but if I can round up a couple more that would be quite all right.  All Imperials I've seen were released in clamshell cases with insert box art and only a spine label on the videocassette.  It is unusual for a video company to release their titles with no top label on the cassette, but that's what they did. 

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings