Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bungle in the Jungle

CaveGirl

Apologies to Jethro Tull and Ian, but it seems appropriate when discussing jungle epics on film that such things might be occurring behind the scenes after all the pith helmets get taken off.

Now a great jungle film would be "Jungle Hell" from the mid-1950's since this is its IMDB synopsis:

MV5BMTM3ODQ1OTU0Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTY1
A tribe in the Indian jungle is threatened by flying saucers, mysterious rays and radioactive rocks.

Seriously what more could anyone ask for but Sabu, with UFO's and radioactivity in rocks, plus mysterious rays to boot?

I love almost all jungle epics, unless they might star June Allyson, who I would not use a pitchfork on but would ask the witch doctor to place a voodoo curse and then have her boiled alive.

But I digress. Name your most treasured jungle pictures so we can all see them if we've so far been deprived of the ordeal, oops I mean honor!

Two from Curt Siodmak:

"Curucu, Beast of the Amazon" (1956)--Fun Would-be chiller starring Beverly Garland.

"Love Slaves of the Amazon" (1957)--Lost city in the jungle and adventurers--no surprises, but an ok watch.

On a higher budget:

"White Witch Doctor" (1953)--Susan Hayward, Robert Mitchum, witch doctors and treasure.

• Like 2

I have not seen a lot of jungle pictures that aren't well known.

I do enjoy Five Came Back and Back from Eternity which are the same movie but different versions.

Anything with Sabu that that I have not yet seen I would like to see.

Of course, there are all the Tarzan films, but I have not seen many of them besides the ones starring Johnny W.

I try to see every version of The Jungle Book.

And then there are jungle scenes in movies such as Bridge on the River Kwai

• Like 1

Apologies to Jethro Tull and Ian, but it seems appropriate when discussing jungle epics on film that such things might be occurring behind the scenes after all the pith helmets get taken off.

Now a great jungle film would be "Jungle Hell" from the mid-1950's since this is its IMDB synopsis:

A tribe in the Indian jungle is threatened by flying saucers, mysterious rays and radioactive rocks.

Seriously what more could anyone ask for but Sabu, with UFO's and radioactivity in rocks, plus mysterious rays to boot?

I love almost all jungle epics, unless they might star June Allyson, who I would not use a pitchfork on but would ask the witch doctor to place a voodoo curse and then have her boiled alive.

But I digress. Name your most treasured jungle pictures so we can all see them if we've so far been deprived of the ordeal, oops I mean honor!

By the way....

I've never heard of the movie you have quoted.  Is it a well known movie?

• Like 1

You don't like June Allyson either? I wouldn't be surprised if she was found to have locomotive breath.. My apologies also to Jethro Tull..

Well, I used to do a lot of film photography, but never had the opportunity to shoot many jungle pictures  ;)

But knowing you're using movie studio vernacular, in which a "picture" is often meant to mean "movie", I'll try to behave....

Of course there's the whole Johnny Weissmuller TARZAN franchise series

But off hand I can't think of many more movies which are specifically "jungle oriented", but have several feet of jungle footage in them...like-----

APOCALYPSE NOW

PAPPILLON

PLATOON

MALAYA

STANLEY AND LIVINGSTONE

THE DEVIL AT 4 O'CLOCK

And just for fun( and because of course, I gotta be me, and I can't resist)---

THE ASPHALT JUNGLE  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Two from Curt Siodmak:

"Curucu, Beast of the Amazon" (1956)--Fun Would-be chiller starring Beverly Garland.

"Love Slaves of the Amazon" (1957)--Lost city in the jungle and adventurers--no surprises, but an ok watch.

On a higher budget:

"White Witch Doctor" (1953)--Susan Hayward, Robert Mitchum, witch doctors and treasure.

Wowza, I love witch doctor movies, thanks, FL!

• Like 1

I have not seen a lot of jungle pictures that aren't well known.

I do enjoy Five Came Back and Back from Eternity which are the same movie but different versions.

Anything with Sabu that that I have not yet seen I would like to see.

Of course, there are all the Tarzan films, but I have not seen many of them besides the ones starring Johnny W.

I try to see every version of The Jungle Book.

And then there are jungle scenes in movies such as Bridge on the River Kwai

You are so sweet, GPF! You mention very kind and most civil jungle pictures that have no voodoo curses, or curare on darts to poison victims, or headhunters or wild dancing in front of sacrificial victims at a bonfire, being such a nice person I think.

Now of course, the ones you mention are worthy as jungle flicks, but I must introduce you to the more junky jungle movies which I like the best. I'm sorry you have much better taste than I, who was hoping for movies like "The Leech Woman" or anything with Aquanetta.

Thanks for participating though and if you get into more B-film atrocities, please post them!

• Like 1

You don't like June Allyson either? I wouldn't be surprised if she was found to have locomotive breath.. My apologies also to Jethro Tull..

Other than maybe in "Good News" before she became terminally "cute", no, I cannot stand June Allyson, DGF.

She absolutely ruins "The Women" remake, because I would totally understand why any husband would prefer Joan Collins to June Allyson.

Well, I used to do a lot of film photography, but never had the opportunity to shoot many jungle pictures  ;)

But knowing you're using movie studio vernacular, in which a "picture" is often meant to mean "movie", I'll try to behave....

Of course there's the whole Johnny Weissmuller TARZAN franchise series

But off hand I can't think of many more movies which are specifically "jungle oriented", but have several feet of jungle footage in them...like-----

APOCALYPSE NOW

PAPPILLON

PLATOON

MALAYA

STANLEY AND LIVINGSTONE

THE DEVIL AT 4 O'CLOCK

And just for fun( and because of course, I gotta be me, and I can't resist)---

THE ASPHALT JUNGLE  ;)

Sepiatone

Those are good pictures, and they are set in the jungle, Sepia but I was hoping for more bottom of the barrel jungle epics, which were not first class flicks.

I'm sure if you reach deep down into your more B-film memory you could come up with a worthy film, with at least one voodoo scene or demented man in a pith helmet. Pulleeeze!

Another from Curt Siodmak:

"Bride of the Gorilla" (1951), with Barbara Payton and Raymond Burr.

"Daughter of the Jungle" (1949)--This was in  1978's "The Fifty Worst Films of All Time" book by the Medved Bros.  Starred Lois Hall ( a Monogram contractee) and Sheldon Leonard!?

On a higher budget:

"When Time Ran Out" (1980)--Set on a jungle-like Pacific island, natives and tourists are menaced by a volcano about to erupt.  Volcano erupts after the Perfect line  (I'm not about to give it away).  High body count, cheesy special effects, lousy performances (too many to list); A sample:

Jacqueline Bisset--"The volcano is erupting and the hotel must be evacuated immediately" is said with all the intensity and urgency of asking her hairdresser if her hair needs coloring.

WTRO is a must see; BotG is Close to the Bottom of the Barrel.  JMO. :)

• Like 2

Another from Curt Siodmak:

"Bride of the Gorilla" (1951), with Barbara Payton and Raymond Burr.

"Daughter of the Jungle" (1949)--This was in  1978's "The Fifty Worst Films of All Time" book by the Medved Bros.  Starred Lois Hall ( a Monogram contractee) and Sheldon Leonard!?

On a higher budget:

"When Time Ran Out" (1980)--Set on a jungle-like Pacific island, natives and tourists are menaced by a volcano about to erupt.  Volcano erupts after the Perfect line  (I'm not about to give it away).  High body count, cheesy special effects, lousy performances (too many to list); A sample:

Jacqueline Bisset--"The volcano is erupting and the hotel must be evacuated immediately" is said with all the intensity and urgency of asking her hairdresser if her hair needs coloring.

WTRO is a must see; BotG is Close to the Bottom of the Barrel.  JMO. :)

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

Now that's the kind of jungle movie I am talking about, FL. BOTG and DOTJ definitely qualify and since I've not seen the latter I shall look for it.

Thanks, and I think I've seen WTRO and approve your review.

• Like 1

This is my subject, LOL--I'd forgotten how many Jungle "classics" I'd seen!

"The Jungle" (1952?)--Marie Windsor and others go searching for elephants and treasure.

"Escape to Burma" (1955) Barbara Stanwyck and murder on a tea plantation.

"Hatari!" (1962)--Plotless ramble through Africa with John Wayne and Capucine.

"Tarzan and the Leopard Woman" (1946)--Tarzan takes on the Cult of Kali (death goddess)--one of the last Tarzan movies--women are scenery.

"Song of India" (1949)--Sabu sets free captured animals.

• Like 1

Other than maybe in "Good News" before she became terminally "cute", no, I cannot stand June Allyson, DGF.

She absolutely ruins "The Women" remake, because I would totally understand why any husband would prefer Joan Collins to June Allyson.

I would prefer a baboon to June Allyson.

This is my subject, LOL--I'd forgotten how many Jungle "classics" I'd seen!

"The Jungle" (1952?)--Marie Windsor and others go searching for elephants and treasure.

"Escape to Burma" (1955) Barbara Stanwyck and murder on a tea plantation.

"Hatari!" (1962)--Plotless ramble through Africa with John Wayne and Capucine.

"Tarzan and the Leopard Woman" (1946)--Tarzan takes on the Cult of Kali (death goddess)--one of the last Tarzan movies--women are scenery.

"Song of India" (1949)--Sabu sets free captured animals.

Great list, FL and I watch any movie with Marie Windsor!

• Like 1

Aguirre, the Wrath of God  (1972)

Man from the Deep River (1972)

Emanuelle and the Last Cannibals  (1977)

Jungle Holocaust  (1977)

Mountain of the Cannibal God  (1979)

Cannibal Holocaust (1980)

Eaten Alive! (1980)

Cannibal Ferox (1981)

Fitzcarraldo  (1982)

The Mission  (1986)

• Like 1

I would prefer a baboon to June Allyson.

A baboon date in place of June, eh?

I would suggest you take your date to see the revival of that old Liza Minnelli flick, "Tell Me That You Love Me, Junie Moon", DGF.

By the way, I agree a baboon is much more appealing than June Allyson.

Aguirre, the Wrath of God  (1972)

Man from the Deep River (1972)

Emanuelle and the Last Cannibals  (1977)

Jungle Holocaust  (1977)

Mountain of the Cannibal God  (1979)

Cannibal Holocaust (1980)

Eaten Alive! (1980)

Cannibal Ferox (1981)

Fitzcarraldo  (1982)

The Mission  (1986)

Now that is a really eclectic list, Lawrence or should I say Peter?

"Eaten Alive" with Emmanuelle and  Werner Herzog!

• Like 2

A baboon date in place of June, eh?

I would suggest you take your date to see the revival of that old Liza Minnelli flick, "Tell Me That You Love Me, Junie Moon", DGF.

By the way, I agree a baboon is much more appealing than June Allyson.

I'm still trying to decide whether a rhinoceros also is.

How about THE MOSQUITO COAST  (1986) with Harrison Ford?

I would imagine a rhinoceros IS more appealing to another Rhino than June Allyson might be.  It would be close!

BABBOONS?  I wouldn't go THAT far.  I have to agree however, that they would  have the more soothing voice!

OH!  Thought of another----

"THE GODS MUST BE CRAZY" (1980)

Of course, neither are the "B" level jungle "stinkers" you're aiming for, so I'll try to make up for it by listing-----

BOB HOPE'S  "CALL ME B'WANA"   S'ok?

Sepiatone

How about THE MOSQUITO COAST  (1986) with Harrison Ford?

I would imagine a rhinoceros IS more appealing to another Rhino than June Allyson might be.  It would be close!

BABBOONS?  I wouldn't go THAT far.  I have to agree however, that they would  have the more soothing voice!

Sepiatone

..and I imagine that either a baboon or a rhino would rather have each other than  have June Allyson.

• Like 1

More:

"Untamed" (1929)--Film starts out with Joan Crawford singing "Chant of the Jungle".  Is to be shown on TCM in July.

"Golden Dawn" (1930)--"The Most Offensive Movie Musical Ever Made" (a poster at Nitrateville)--There are three clips on YouTube--watch/listen at Your Own Risk; There's a good article about GD on TCM, Wikipedia, and a LLLLOOONNNGGG thread at Nitrateville.

• Like 2

More:

"Untamed" (1929)--Film starts out with Joan Crawford singing "Chant of the Jungle".  Is to be shown on TCM in July.

"Golden Dawn" (1930)--"The Most Offensive Movie Musical Ever Made" (a poster at Nitrateville)--There are three clips on YouTube--watch/listen at Your Own Risk; There's a good article about GD on TCM, Wikipedia, and a LLLLOOONNNGGG thread at Nitrateville.

I don't know Golden Dawn, and I try to watch all of the supposedly controversial or shocking films I can see. Thanks for the heads up on this one. Can you say anymore about it, or is it too outrageous? And how can it be seen?

LawrenceA--TCM says this is one of the worst films they have in their library.  There are three clips from it on YouTube: one is sound only; "The Whip Song" sung by Noah Beery (a "basso profundo"); the song's lyrics have been called "S+M like" by a YouTube commenter.

Another clip is a love song after Vivienne Segal sings "My Bwanna" (Film's misspellings, not mine) to her beloved.

The third clip is a song that ends the film--should be the first result when you search "Golden Dawn (1930)".

Read the articles and thread I mentioned.  

Richard Barrios, in "A Song In The Dark", calls GD "a bejeweled horror", "the great folly of the age, winning the Technicolor Booby Prize of the musical first wave" ( GD was shot in two-tone Technicolor, but only black and white prints survive).

To read about this: Google "Richard Barrios on "Golden Dawn" (1930)"; click on second result, which Should be "Dangerous Rhythm...".  Will lead to a "GoogleBooks" preview.  Read page 158, then go to next two previews, if you wish more information.  GD is Supposed to be on dvd--free online prints, I haven't come across.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings