Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your favorite person in drag

Only one fella in drag has ever been able to make me forget that he is, in fact, a fella in drag: Dustin Hoffman in Tootsie. There is a moment about midway through the production where Hoffman (as his female character Dorothy Michaels) is attempting to educate a woman who has been beaten by her lover and is currently hospitalized on the soap opera set.

For me, I become completely lost in his delivery of the dialogue in this scene and from here until the episode where Doctor Brewster tries to 'rape' Dorothy I have a tendancy to completely forget that I am watching a man trying to be a woman. For me, Hoffman is a great gal and that's the hallmark, not only of stellar acting, but a marvelous script. The gimmick of Tootsie isn't that it's about a man in drag. It's about a man attempting to find himself by understanding why it is he (and other men) treat women the way they do.

• 1 month later...

My favorite, incidentally, is William Powell in Love Crazy, I thought it was an absolute work of genuis. I fell off the couch, I was laughing so hard! When his "breast" unwound..CLASSIC, in every sense!! :D

I also like Garbo's turn in Queen Christina.