Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Val Lewton Monday

Janet0312

Anybody know what the significance was of playing Val Lewton movies today? Not that I'm complaining, mind you. I had to leave for work in the middle of Ghost Ship and thankfully I have the DVD that I can pop in when I get home. But I was wondering if it was some special occasion. It isn't his birthday today.

• Like 1

Too bad it's always the same films shown.  Maybe because it's from Universal, TCM never plays Apache Drums (1951) starring Stephen McNally and Coleen Gray.  I caught this on Encore Westerns several years ago, and it's terrific.  Lots of striking visual images, unusual camera angles, all the things you'd expect from a Lewton production.  I just wish I had saved it to disc, because it seems they haven't replayed it in the years since.

• Like 2

They seem to have a Lewton marathon about 3 or 4 times a year. It was time. Good movies, on the whole, but a wee bit overplayed.

I would agree with that. I made a thread about these last October in the horror sub-forum, because a bunch of them aired. And they were overplayed back then. 

They never show any of the films Lewton produced after he left RKO. And that's because like James Whale, Lewton went on to work at Universal. So this is where the TCM/Turner library is limited.

I would agree with that. I made a thread about these last October in the horror sub-genre, because a bunch of them aired. And they were overplayed back then. 

They never show any of the films Lewton produced after he left RKO. And that's because like James Whale, Lewton went on to work at Universal. So this is where the TCM/Turner library is limited.

Clearly someone in the TCM programming department has a lot of love for Lewton.    TCM showed that documentary about him and I'm glad they did since I found it very interesting.    But now TCM is pushing the envelope by over playing the 'stock' films of his they have.  

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings