Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

*Streisand to re-do "Gypsy"

spence

I saw this last week, but couldn't post it & *Oscar winner: *Barbra Streisand-(l942-)

now getting the rights to rehash 1962's "Gypsy"  Don't know if she's also directing?

Those that know me, are aware I'm more then a fan of: NATALIE WOOD-(l938-l98l)

& always wanted a movie from Gypsy Rose Lee's-(l9l4-70) point of view & not her mum's though-(I got to once see her fmr house, located up a steep hill  from "Greystone Park/Mansion" back in 1999, at that time: Suzanne Sommers owned-it)

(TRIVIA: Director Mervyn Leroy was said to be the first to let her do her own singing in that Musical & this was already remade, but for tv & w/Bette Midler)

THANK YOU :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I saw this last week, but couldn't post it & *Oscar winner: *Barbra Streisand-(l942-)

now getting the rights to rehash 1962's "Gypsy"  Don't know if she's also directing?

Those that know me, are aware I'm more then a fan of: NATALIE WOOD-(l938-l98l)

& always wanted a movie from Gypsy Rose Lee's-(l9l4-70) point of view & not her mum's though-(I got to once see her fmr house, located up a steep hill  from "Greystone Park/Mansion" back in 1999, at that time: Suzanne Sommers owned-it)

(TRIVIA: Director Mervyn Leroy was said to be the first to let her do her own singing in that Musical & this was already remade, but for tv & w/Bette Midler)

THANK YOU :rolleyes:

A favorite actress of mine Tyne Daly won a Tony for her portrayal of Mama June on Broadway.If Barbra directs fine, but she will turn 74 on April 24 much too old for the part. Ethel Merman was almost 50 when she originated the role.

• Like 1

Is Barbra planning to play the mother?  This is interesting, because often in stage versions there are different actresses playing Gypsy from different ages  that all look related, but Natalie Wood plays her at different stages.  I hope Barbra  does not think she will be playing Gypsy Rose Lee?

• Like 1

I hardly think Barbra Streisand ever wanted to play Gypsy Rose Lee at any age.

Barbra grew up going to Broadway shows watching Ethel Merman. Barbra's long expressed a desire was to record Rose's Turn. She was scheduled to record Rose's Turn for the Broadway album. But for reasons best known to her she decided not to.

I have no idea if she wants to play Mama Rose or not now but she would be wonderful in the part; and/or the show would be wonderful if she directed it.

There's probably no one alive who understands the musical better than Barbra.

• Like 2

Since Ethel Merman was not in the movie Gypsy, I don't believe it's ever been done properly. So this wouldn't be so much of a redo,as maybe finally getting it right.Rosalind Russell was a joke in that part.

Of course, Natalie Wood was wonderful! I think it's her most beautiful role. Stripper Gypsy Rose Lee cried after watching her.

Second thing is they didn't use Jack Klugman. He's such a great actor and he was in the Broadway show. He showed how great he is with the musical star when he co-starred with Judy Garland and supported her in I Could Go On Singing.

Edited by Princess of Tap
  • Like 1

I hardly think Barbra Streisand ever wanted to play Gypsy Rose Lee at any age.

Barbara grew up going to Broadway shows watching Ethel Merman. Barbara's long expressed a desire was to record Rose's Turn. She was scheduled to record Rose's Turn for the Broadway album. But for reasons best known to her she decided not to.

I have no idea if she wants to play Mama Rose or not now but she would be wonderful in the part; and/or the show would be wonderful if she directed it.

There's probably no one alive who understands the musical better than Barbra.

I hope to be able to attend a stage version of this musical nearby.  It is coming up very soon. I've yet to see a live stage version of this.

Somebody mentioned the TV version Gypsy with Bette Midler. My best tap dance student was in that show. I think he was one of the boys in the Vaudeville Act.

I would have liked to have helped out backstage at this show, but time constraints made it impossible.   I still would like to see the show. 

I was wondering what Streisand's next project might be. She made an off-camera cameo appearance -- all you could hear was her voice -- in a January episode of the ABC sitcom "Modern Family."  She chatted briefly via a gate speakerphone outside her residence with actor Ray Liotta (as himself) and the Dunphy kids and their Uncle Mitchell. But she declined to sing "Happy Birthday" to Mitchell.

babs-mf.jpg

I hope to be able to attend a stage version of this musical nearby.  It is coming up very soon. I've yet to see a live stage version of this.

It's a completely wonderful stage show.  I saw it with Angela Lansbury and Betty Buckley, both of whom were spectacular.  Nobody sang it better than Buckley, imo.  I like the theatrical film version, a lot, and dislike the tv movie version with Bette Midler.  Although, I did like Cynthia Gibb as Louise.

• Like 2

Maybe La Streisand will add a prologue where Rose dies and the girls are forced to live with Grandma (also named Rose) and she's an even worse stage mother than Mama was! I could see it happening (LOL)

• Like 1

Maybe La Streisand will add a prologue where Rose dies and the girls are forced to live with Grandma (also named Rose) and she's an even worse stage mother than Mama was! I could see it happening (LOL)

If Ethel Merman was alive today and she looked the way she did in 1960; people would say she was 65 years old.

But after all in the theater, you do know that women play men and men play women, the young play the old and the old play the young--again. It's called theatrical conventions - -

So I don't think it would be a stretch for Barbra to play Mama Rose in Gypsy.

After all, when somebody is as gifted and talented as Barbra Streisand, you more or less have the sense to let her do what she wants to do.

Oh, I remember the big stink when Yentl came out-- a woman like her cannot star in the show and direct too. Oh my God she's going to play a man.No woman has ever done all that before--yada, yada, yada. LOL

But Yentl did all right and Gypsy will too, if Barbra chooses to do it.

Hey, this sounds like 1963 all over again. Oh my God, Barbra Streisand's too ugly to be a famous singer. Oh my God, she's actually recording Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf. Oh my God, she's going to star in a Musical on Broadway about the life of Fanny Brice. She's too young to play Fanny Brice. LOL

History does sometimes repeat itself.

• Like 1

If Ethel Merman was alive today and she looked the way she did in 1960; people would say she was 65 years old.

But after all in the theater, you do know that women play men and men play women, the young play the old and the old play the young--again. It's called theatrical conventions - -

After all, when somebody is as gifted and talented as Barbra Streisand, you more or less have the sense to let her do what she wants to do.

Oh, I remember the big stink when Yentl came out-- a woman like her cannot star in the show and direct too. Oh my God she's going to play a man.No woman has ever done all that before--yada, yada, yada. LOL

Hey, this sounds like 1963 all over again. Oh my God, Barbra Streisand's too ugly to be a famous singer. Oh my God, she's actually recording Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf. Oh my God, she's going to star in a Musical on Broadway about the life of Fanny Brice. She's too young to play Fanny Brice. LOL

Theater is theater. Movies are movies. There are no close-ups in theater. There's no doubt she'd be great in the role, but believeable agewise? That jury is out. Frankly I'd be surprised this ever gets greenlighted anywhere, but it's interesting to speculate........

• Like 1

I played all sorts of ages of characters on stage, especially characters decades older than myself like Mrs. Bedwin in Oliver! when I was in my 20s.

Stage and movies are quite different.  The most obvious is that it is live and done chronologically and there is always a chance that the audience could change the way a performance is going like the person who interrupted Joan Rivers when she made a joke about Helen Keller in a personal appearance that was put in a documentary.

But a movie and TV shows are filmed out of sequence much of the time.  The editing process is long.

Stalag 17 was filmed in sequence because some of the cast and crew had not seen the play so they did not know who the spy was and they wanted to make sure that the reactions were as realistic as possible.

Cowboy was filmed in sequence for a completely separate reason: time saving.  Both Jack Lemmon and the character he was playing had never ridden a horse and so Jack was taught as his character was taught.

Theater is theater. Movies are movies. There are no close-ups in theater. There's no doubt she'd be great in the role, but believeable agewise? That jury is out. Frankly I'd be surprised this ever gets greenlighted anywhere, but it's interesting to speculate........

As for 'this ever gets green lighted anywhere';   I wonder who is putting up the money for the production.  If Streisand is putting up the majority of the money then I can see it moving forward.    If not,  yea I don't see why any production company would wish to take such a risk.

You get appointed Script Doctor.

You also get to be the one to tell Babs she's going to be playing GRANDMAMA Rose.

Don't worry, there's plenty of money in the budget for your stay in intensive care.

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings