Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Happy 70th Birthday to Hayley Mills

noah80

I love Hayley Mills.  My favorite film of hers has always been The Parent Trap, but I remember watching all of her films when I was little.  The video store that we always went to had every single Hayley Mills movie.  I think I rented them all:

The Parent Trap

Pollyanna

Summer Magic

The Moonspinners

In Search of the Castaways

That Darn Cat!

'Parent Trap' and Pollyanna were my favorites.

Of Hayley's non-Disney films, I really like Trouble With Angels with Rosalind Russell.  It was fun seeing Hayley as the bad girl for once.

Some of the younger people on the board may remember Hayley as Miss Bliss on the first season of Saved By the Bell (I bet Holden remembers this!). 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAYLEY!

• Like 3

I love Hayley Mills, too, and I can always watch and enjoy all of her films.

I have a special fondness for her and Peter McEnery in "The Moonspinners" (Peter gave Hayley her first screen kiss).

I also have a special fondness for her and her famous father, John Mills, in "Tiger Bay" and, later,

"The Chalk Garden".

Happy Birthday, Miss Mills, I cannot believe that you are actually 70 years old already.

• Like 2

A fun fact about Hayley Mills: at a presentation of Whistle Down the Wind at the TCM Film Festival (2011, I think), Hayley Mills said that she was offered the chance to play the title role in Lolita. The producers were so eager to sign her that they offered her parents a painting by Renoir. They declined. As Hayley Mills said, had her parents let her take the part, her career would have been very different--maybe better, maybe worse, but definitely different.

Around the time of her appearance at the festival, she was filming a series in South Africa, which she said she was enjoying very much. She seemed as friendly and full of spirit as her fans could wish.

Whistle Down the Wind is a superb film, but hard to find. The last time I checked, it was available only in a Portuguese version. Perhaps it is available online or in a Region 2 format. Based on a novel by Hayley's mother, Mary Hayley Bell, Whistle Down the Wind concerns an escaped convict (Alan Bates, in a career-establishing role) whom the children believe to be Jesus. Hayley commented that Alan Bates was "the most beautiful Jesus ever." She had nothing but praise for the director, Bryan Forbes.

• Like 3

A fun fact about Hayley Mills: at a presentation of Whistle Down the Wind at the TCM Film Festival (2011, I think), Hayley Mills said that she was offered the chance to play the title role in Lolita. The producers were so eager to sign her that they offered her parents a painting by Renoir. They declined. As Hayley Mills said, had her parents let her take the part, her career would have been very different--maybe better, maybe worse, but definitely different.

Around the time of her appearance at the festival, she was filming a series in South Africa, which she said she was enjoying very much. She seemed as friendly and full of spirit as her fans could wish.

Whistle Down the Wind is a superb film, but hard to find. The last time I checked, it was available only in a Portuguese version. Perhaps it is available online or in a Region 2 format. Based on a novel by Hayley's mother, Mary Hayley Bell, Whistle Down the Wind concerns an escaped convict (Alan Bates, in a career-establishing role) whom the children believe to be Jesus. Hayley commented that Alan Bates was "the most beautiful Jesus ever." She had nothing but praise for the director, Bryan Forbes.

Does this work?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y69qpz636q70dzv/WhistleDownTheWind.avi?dl=0

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings