Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If You Like AMADEUS, ...

Palmerin

... which other composers would you like to see depicted in bios?--bios that obviously would be more accurate than Shaffer's play and Forman's movie, whose treatment of Salieri is downright libelous.

My choice is Franz Joseph Haydn, with his brother Johann Michael as the main supporting character.

... which other composers would you like to see depicted in bios?--bios that obviously would be more accurate than Shaffer's play and Forman's movie, whose treatment of Salieri is downright libelous.

My choice is Franz Joseph Haydn, with his brother Johann Michael as the main supporting character.

I was just thinking about this film the other day. Though Salieri was depicted as a horrid little narcissistic snit, the film in general was enjoyable.

For me, I'd like to see a film about the real life of Edvard Grieg and not that totally concocted mishmash called "Song of Norway" which gave fake romances and a bunch of blather. Okay, maybe the guy was a bit boring, but like Truman Capote once said, when he met someone who at first seemed boring he started interrogating them to find out why and often they then became quite interesting to him.

Great post, Palmerin!

THE MUSIC LOVERS is pure MUSOR=GARBAGE.

Haven't seen The Music Lovers in about 40 years, but I can't help finding Ken Russell's surreal or fantastic versions of composers' lives more intriguing than the traditional or straightforward  biopics.  At least three cheers to him for making five or so movies about classical composers!

I'd like to see movies about Satie, Ravel or Debussy.  

• Like 1

TheGayDivorcee--Russell made a series of composers' biographies for British television before his 1970 film "Women in Love"--I believe Debussy was among the composers.  Would it be on YouTube or one of the other websites?

Edit--I found the reference in Pauline Kaels' "Deeper Into Movies" (paperback, 1973); the artists Kael listed are Delius, Dante Gabriel Rossetti, and Richard Strauss.

Edit #2--Russell also made films about "Mahler" (1974), which I don't remember, and 1976's "Lisztomania", which was critically trashed, and also haven't seen.  View at your own risk, LOL.

TheGayDivorcee--Russell made a series of composers' biographies for British television before his 1970 film "Women in Love"--I believe Debussy was among the composers.  Would it be on YouTube or one of the other websites?

Edit--I found the reference in Pauline Kaels' "Deeper Into Movies" (paperback, 1973); the artists Kael listed are Delius, Dante Gabriel Rossetti, and Richard Strauss.

Edit #2--Russell also made films about "Mahler" (1974), which I don't remember, and 1976's "Lisztomania", which was critically trashed, and also haven't seen.  View at your own risk, LOL.

Thanks, I'll have a look for them.

I know he's not everyone's cup of tea, but his over the top, sort of fever dream-ish style appeals to me.  I did see Lisztomania and Mahler, but decades ago, so those I'd like to see again.  Maybe time will change my opinion! 

• Like 1

As far as classical composers go...

GUSTAV MAHLER had an interesting life.

And although the movie IMMORTAL BELOVED is a good one, it, like AMADEUS, is also based on an "urban legend" .  In this case, Beethoven's life.  In fact, I imagine a true "Biopic" would include much of the composer's childhood as well as adult life examination.

CHOPIN too, had an interesting life, and the 2002 Polish release CHOPIN: DESIRE FOR LOVE corrects all the schmaltz found in A SONG TO REMEMBER, and gives a truer account of that genius' life.

but as there WAS no specific genre limitations to the topic....

Let's get a good, FACTUAL biopic about BOB DYLAN, who was, there's no denying, also an outstanding composer!

Sepiatone

• Like 2

The genre of musical biography is not a promising one.  Amadeus isn't a bad movie, but it wouldn't make my top 10 for 1984.  The Chronicle of Anna Magdelana Bach is a much better movie.  The Eddy Duchin Story is oddly affecting, and I suspect that if I saw I'm Not There I'd like it more the first time when I very ill.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings