Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Prince has Died!

Arturo

Prince and his music has been a large part of my life and his protégé Vanity just died and I am upset.

I love his music.

My favourite song of his is "When Doves Cry"

I love Purple Rain album.

I was hoping this was false as lots of people are reported dead who turn out not to be dead.

Thanks again, Arturo for starting the thread and to Barton for confirming it.

• Like 1

I just cant believe it. All my rock icons are dying. VERY upset.........

I am having a horrible time dealing with this.  Bowie, Prince, Fry, everyone in the music world not in their 80s or older.

My Mom is 68.  She and my father were never famous musicians, but they performed with them and saw them before they were famous perform live.   My Mom is very upset.

• Like 1

As with the recent death of David Bowie, Prince was part of the soundtrack of my life. I had all his albums (I have them all on cd), saw him in concert innumerable times, from the infamous support slot for the Rolling Stones at Coliseum (1981,.I believe), to an amazing show at the Forum some 2-3.years ago, for 25 bucks. He was one you could apply that overused term Musical Genius.

• Like 5

You know what is also serious?

Cancer

Heart disease

S.I.D.s

Old age in general

So is trying to live in a post 9/11 world without being paranoid.

I love Prince music.  Here is another favourite of mine;

It's been 7 hours and 15 days

Since you took your love away

I go out every night and sleep all day

Since you took your love away

Since you been gone and can do whatever I want

I can stay home whenever I choose

I can eat my dinner in an fancy restaurant

But nothing

I said nothing can take away these blues

Cause nothing compares

Nothing compare to you

Nothing compares

Nothing compares to you.

I know that living with ya baby was sometimes hard

But I willing to give it another try.............................................

Edited by ColumboFan

I wish I could stop them.

I wish I could you tell you that musicians don't lead a hard life in general, but I would be lying.

Even if you never have an addiction issue, musicians generally play overnight and therefore their sleep schedule is completely screwed up.

Mom and Dad would be playing at clubs until the wee hours of the morning and then go to bed at about 5 in the morning.

That is not a normal schedule.

Add to the mix people who take drugs or alcohol and sometimes mix them, and rock and roll musician lead a very hard life.

Other genres are not as at risk, but still being a musician is hard on the system.

For example, to sing opera music as a soloist - I know some people from my local Music academy who have gone on to bigger and better things -you have to *not talk* during the day so you can sing at night.  You sing with your entire body as your instrument.  If you are even remotely sick, you cannot sing properly.

Now someone who plays classical music won't be around the same types of people, but there is still a lot of pressure to keep up the quality of performance.

I have been around musicians all my life, and the only ones who have stood a chance to make a living at it and be healthy are the ones who teach music lessons.

As much as I love to sing, have been professionally trained and been in stage shows where professionals have trained me, I would never in my life try to be a famous musician.  I do it in my own city for fun.  Otherwise, it will be scary.

I know you don't mean this the way it's written, but it does appear that you're saying he was an addict. I think he was a workaholic that ignore his health. Flu is no joke when you're older.

• Like 5

Prince was a beautiful amazing musician.

Though I was not a particular fan because he was younger than my generation

of rock and roll artists I really have a lot of respect for him and I feel that he truly understood the relationship between rock and roll and rhythm and blues, equally with Michael Jackson.

Prince had the ability to capture the essence The Beatles, While at the same time maintaining a solid foundation in the funky soul of James Brown. And that was no easy feat.

He was much criticized when he started out for his theatrical appearance. He and David Bowie were much maligned and got a lot of bad feedback for their style of dressing and their look. The Beatles and Michael Jackson were treated the same way. I think that if you're a genius and you're blazing a trail that's just the way it's going to be.

It took a lot of Courage for him to continue and ignore the nasty comments.

What I loved about Prince was that he was a consummate professional.

The last time I saw him was the Super Bowl performance. He performed in the rain and he was perfection.

My two favorite Prince songs are Little Red Corvette and 1999.

• Like 4

So...I take it nobody's gonna be partyin' "like it's 1999" for a while, eh?!

WHAT?! "Too soon" ya say?!! Yeah, maybe you're right.

(....sorry, but while I like much of his music AND think it's a shame the guy as died at such a young age, he WAS just about the WEIRDEST freakin' celebrity I used to board on those flights out of LAX back in my airlines days...so sue me, 'cause THAT'S the memory I have of the guy...well, THAT and all those times I used to dance to his music at those discos back in the day, anyway!!!)

• Like 3

(....sorry, but while I like much of his music, he WAS  just about the WEIRDEST freakin' celebrity I used to board on those flights out of LAX back in my airlines days...so sue me!!!)

WIsh you'd start on that book................

• Like 2

(....sorry, but while I like much of his music, he WAS just about the WEIRDEST freakin' celebrity I used to board on those flights out of LAX back in my airlines days...so sue me, 'cause THAT'S the memory I have of the guy!!!)

Yes, Dargo it is too soon.

I just got a barrage of hate posts because I mentioned that some musicians - NOT PRINCE - actually have bad health for a variety of reasons.

Under no circumstances make fun of any person who dies unless that are at least 80 and were comedians.

I know you don't mean this the way it's written, but it does appear that you're saying he was an addict. I think he was a workaholic that ignore his health. Flu is no joke when you're older.

Only people who are too upset at the death of their idol would read my post that way.  Obviously he was a workaholic.  Lots of people are in a variety of professions.

Not only the arts, but all jobs.  Few people get enough sleep.

How long after Freddie Mercury's death was it before people started playing "Another One Bites the Dust" again?

As for Prince, I think my two favorite songs of his are "Thieves in the Temple" and "Money Don't Matter Tonight", although I've probably got the title wrong on the latter.

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings