Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anne Blythe anyone know why she stopped making movies?

Debra Johnson

Untill yesterday, I only knew her as "Veda" in the movie "Mildred Pierce" w/Joan Crawford and from the girl in the movie "Our Very Own".  Yesterday, I watched the movie "The Helen Morgan Story"  (release in 1957) in which she played the title character. She's all grown up in this one, an adult (she was young in the previous 2 movies).

I began to research her and found that this appears to be the last movie she starred in.......she did some tv shows after but never another movie.  She was only 29 yrs old in 1957.  Why did she stop making movies?

• Like 1

I believe Ann Blyth stopped making films because she wanted to switch gears to focus on work in the theater and also her family life.

Also she's apparently still alive.  She's 88 yrs old and looked fab as of 2013.  Don't know where she lives or how her health is just saw the pic on IMDb.

• Like 1

Also she's apparently still alive.  She's 88 yrs old and looked fab as of 2013.  Don't know where she lives or how her health is just saw the pic on IMDb.

Yes.

I believe she's been interviewed on TCM before. Reading her Wikipedia page, no wonder she took time off for her family, she had five children. 

• Like 1

Anne Blythe had a second movie career -MGM re-modeled her as a musical star.

She did have a lovely voice.

At MGM, my favorite film of hers in "The Student Prince" with Edmund Purdom.

They made a lovely couple.

11.JPG

• Like 1

Untill yesterday, I only knew her as "Veda" in the movie "Mildred Pierce" w/Joan Crawford and from the girl in the movie "Our Very Own".  Yesterday, I watched the movie "The Helen Morgan Story"  (release in 1957) in which she played the title character. She's all grown up in this one, an adult (she was young in the previous 2 movies).

I began to research her and found that this appears to be the last movie she starred in.......she did some tv shows after but never another movie.  She was only 29 yrs old in 1957.  Why did she stop making movies?

Maybe she wasn't being offered decent roles.

• Like 3

i think the HUGE success of THE GREAT CARUSO was both a blessing and a curse for Ann Blyth. I think she got forced into a lot of biopics afterwards....but at least they were leads.

Is that the only time she worked with Mario Lanza?

I've heard he was about as much of a charmer as Wally Beery in real life, so maybe she also got sick of HOLLYWOOD.

i think the HUGE success of THE GREAT CARUSO was both a blessing and a curse for Ann Blyth. I think she got forced into a lot of biopics afterwards....but at least they were leads.

Is that the only time she worked with Mario Lanza?

I've heard he was about as much of a charmer as Wally Beery in real life, so maybe she also got sick of HOLLYWOOD.

She worked with "the voice" of Mario Lanza in "The Student Prince" - before he was taken off the film, he had already recorded the songs with her and others. 

Edmund Purdom was given the role of the student prince.

MGM paired them together again in "The King's Thief", which was an exciting swashbuckler.

• Like 2

She worked with "the voice" of Mario Lanza in "The Student Prince" - before he was taken off the film, he had already recorded the songs with her and others. 

Edmund Purdom was given the role of the student prince.

MGM paired them together again in "The King's Thief", which was an exciting swashbuckler.

she ever go on the record with how she felt about Lanza?

• Like 1

Did anybody have a good opinion of Mario Lanza - as a person?

He only made four movies at MGM.

The others were made elsewhere.

Here's a funny thing----

My wife's older sister had a friend who, when they were all about "pre-teen" age, used to call my wife "Mario Lanza legs".  Neither my wife, OR her sister could ever figure out the reason.

I told her.....

"It must mean that Mario Lanza must have had FANTASTIC legs, or the girl thought you had masculine legs.  I don't know...I never NOTICED Lanza's legs in any of his movies.  Nor did I ever LOOK!"

Sepiatone

• Like 2

The word on the street was that Ann Blyth ate too much peanut butter from doing so many tv ads and got a chronic glottal stop condition in the roof of her mouth, which prevented her from being in any more talkies.

I think you might be confusing Ann's Hostess Cupcakes/Twinkies commercials with Annette Funicello's Skippy peanut butter commercials of around the same time, CG.

(...funny thought, though)

• Like 1

I believe Miss Blyth discontinued films in 1957 to concentrate on family life (she had 5 children altogether, 2 of whom were born before she stopped movies, 1 was born the year she stopped, and then 2 more in her post-film life) as well as work in musical theatre.  After leaving movies, she did make some periodic TV appearances, and acted as spokesperson in TV commercials for Hostess products.  I think she retired totally in 1985, after making an appearance in "Murder, She Wrote."

The others were made elsewhere.

I have read the biography of Mario Lanza, and I have a good opinion of him. Mario grew up a only child in Philadelphia. He loved listening to the classic recordings especially Enrico Caruso. Mario loved to sing, and he was a wonderful tenor. He worked with a voice coach and performed at the Tanglewood Berkshire Music center in Tanglewood, MA. Shortly afterwards he was drafted He was drafted into the Army in January 1943. Mario was never slim, but in the Army he ballooned to 300 pounds.

Mario sang in WINGED VICTORY on Broadway, and he was released from the Army after serving two years. While serving in the Army, Mario became friends with Bert Hicks the father of actress Delores Hart. Bert introduced Mario to his sister Betty, and they were married in April 1945. Mario continued with his singing studies, and he sang MADAME BUTTERFLY in New Orleansand a invitation came to sing at the Hollywood Bowl. Louis B. Mayer was in the audience, and he signed Mario to a MGM contract.Mario lost weight, and his first film was THAT MIDNIGHT KISS 1949 with Kathryn Grayson

THE TOAST OF NEW ORLEANS 1950,THE GREAT CARUSO 1951 costarring Ann Blyth, and BECAUSE YOUR MINE 1952 followed. L.B. hired a trainer Terry Robinson to help Mario keep in shape. He was looking forward to filming THE STUDENT PRINCE, and he recorded the soundtrack before filming began. Mario could take suggestions about his acting, but not concerning his singing. Director Curtis Bernhardt  told him to hold back on his approach to the role. Mario blew up, and new studio head Dore Schary backed up his director. Mario walked off the set to be replaced by Edmund Purdom. Mario`s singing was left in the film.

The result was Mario was devasted, and he ate and drank to excess. Finally Mario was asked to sing on CBS Shower Of Stars. He proved his detractors wrong singing wonderfully. Warner Brothers signed Mario to make SERENADE 1956 directed by Anthony Mann. His costars were Joan Fontaine, Vincent Price, and Joseph Callelia. I enjoy this musical very much, but the box office returns were low.

Mario always had a conflict with himself to sing on the opera stage or continue making movies. Now with four children to support, Mario made two films in Europe. THE SEVEN HILLS OF ROME 1957, and FOR THE FIRST TIME 1959. Mario`s health was going down, and he was having trouble with his weight again. Mario was also suffering from a embolism, and he died in a clinic in 1959 of a heart attack at 38. His widow Betty never recovered from Mario`s death, and she died less than two years later.

I do not care for opera, but I enjoyed Mario`s beautiful voice and all of his movies.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings