Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Angelx

"Kronos"

Wasn't there a sci-fi movie years ago called "Kronos"? It was a huge robot type object with destructive energy. I thought maybe someone would be mentioning this one on the many lists of old 50's movies? Anyone know about this movie? I don't think it was very popular. It was different that's for sure!

Thanks!

~Angel~

Hi Angel X!

There still is a movie tiltled "KRONOS" and I have it on VHS. It was about a robot that was sent from another planet, to drain the Earth of all its energy(the inhabitants of that planet had depleted all their energy.)

To Quiet Man

Thanks for letting me know this movie does exist. I asked about it a few days back and nobody was responding to my questions. I was starting to think maybe I had it confussed with another sci-fi movie? This was not a very popular movie in its time, but I though it was interesting just the same. Do you know the year it was put out? Was it in the 50's or early 60's? Was there any well known actors in this movie that you can recall? I do remember Kronos the giant robot being sent here by aliens from outer space and they were scouting our planet for a possible take over. Thanks Quiet Man!!!

~Angel~

Message was edited by:

Angelx

Hi, Angel. I've been trying to respond to your message for several days, but I've been having some computer problems. I'm glad there's someone else who remembers "Kronos." It wasn't a huge hit like some of the sci-fi films that Universal released. It was one of the last films of Barbara Lawrence. Although she didn't make a great number of movies, she was quite versatile, making comedies, dramas, musicals, Westerns, and mysteries. I understand that she is now involved in real estate in the San Fernando Valley. I miss her.

Terrence.

Terrence.

Well thank you so much! Now I have a name associated with the movie " Kronos." Barbara Lawrence. Now I wish Turner Classics would plan to show this old sci-fi movie sometime in the near future, so I can see it again just for the old times. Like we all agree it was never a big hit, but just the same I would enjoy seeing it once again. It's interesting how some of these old movies get shown over & over again and movies like "Kronos" seem to be forgotten completely? Thanks again for this information Terrence.

~Angel~

I found some added details on the web site "Rotten Tomatoes" about this movie entitled "Kronos." It is now available on DVD. The price range is $6.64 - $13.99. The movie was released in 1957 and did awful as we all can guess, huh? Jeff Morrow, Barbara Lawrence, John Emery and Morris Ankrum stared in this bad sci-fi flick. This movie was directed by Kurt Neumann. It is available on DVD in Dolby Digital Mono - English and in widescreen -2.5 The movie was considered a Futuristic, Science-Fiction, Thriller.

~Angel~

Angelx

It was one of my favorites as a child laying on the floor in front of the black and white TV. The movies that I laugh at today had me in nightmares when I was 8-10 yrs old but was I addicted to them. I still am.

I watched Kronos this morning.

It's funny, seeing early sci-fi stories many years later in a time when other movies have stripped them of their original ideas makes me wonder if there are any original writers providing screenplays and such to the film industry these days.

Even Gene Roddenberry, as great and original as he is perceived, has used themes, plots and specific scenes found in earlier filmed works by lesser known writers. Several of these instances are illustrated in his Star Trek TV series. There were body possessions, tractor beams, UFO's, electronic jamming and nuclear bombs that feed, not destroy the monster.

I'm not bashing Gene, just using him as an example of what many writers do. You read. You watch. You listen. You then create, building on other's.

Back to Kronos. I watched it all the way through without interruption and I liked it. As raw and unpolished as it came across to me I was able to grasp the intent and hung on until something happened. The first half made it seem as if nothing was going to happen, then the monster uprooted itself and went on about it's business of .. well, it's purpose..

Wow. Toally forgotten until I saw this thread. Like Xploit I watched it many times as a kid then it disappeared. Not a bad story line and if you can put up with the 50's special effects not a bad watch either. Anyone remember another lost SiFi called "Gog"? A real stinker as I recall.

What a surprise to find Gog was in color! That gives you an idea of how long ago I saw it on TV. We had a black & white set.