Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I Saw A Deadhead Sticker on a Cadillac-- Don't Look Back

Princess of Tap

Ten favorite songs from The White Album.

I'm so tired

Dear Prudence

Happiness is a Warm Gun

Cry Baby Cry

Mother Nature's Son

Sexy Sadie

The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill

Back in the U.S.S.R.

Savoy Truffle

Revolution 9

Paperback Writer did hit Number One in the

U.S. and UK.

Looking over all the songs from the White Album, the only one I really like is "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da".  Kind of an anomaly album for me, I guess, in that I prefer only the one song.  Sgt. Pepper, Revolver, and the other albums are different stories. :)

Are there people here who lean more toward the Beatles' poppier fare, like (for example) "All My Lovin'", or the "deeper", grittier stuff of their later work?  I can't say I lean more one way or the other; it depends what mood I'm in.

I'm not as much of a fan (at all) of Paul McCartney's solo work.  I love the Wings' song "Jet", but that's about it.

• Like 1

Looking over all the songs from the White Album, the only one I really like is "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da".  Kind of an anomaly album for me, I guess, in that I prefer only the one song.  Sgt. Pepper, Revolver, and the other albums are different stories. :)

Are there people here who lean more toward the Beatles' poppier fare, like (for example) "All My Lovin'", or the "deeper", grittier stuff of their later work?  I can't say I lean more one way or the other; it depends what mood I'm in.

I'm not as much of a fan (at all) of Paul McCartney's solo work.  I love the Wings' song "Jet", but that's about it.

One of the main complaints about the White Album was there

was too much material on it that wasn't up to standard. I think it

was George Martin who said it would have made a great single

album, but as a double album it missed. But it is one of my

favorite Beatles' albums. While I get the point of the criticism,

I still like many of the songs on it. Occasionally, the "kitchen

sink" idea works.

John was my favorite Beatle, but I have a couple of Paul's solo

albums from the early years. To me Jet is one of those records

where just about every cut is good. I'd say it's his best solo

album, but I haven't listened to that many to take that leap.

• Like 1

John was my favorite Beatle, but I have a couple of Paul's solo

albums from the early years. To me Jet is one of those records

where just about every cut is good. I'd say it's his best solo

album, but I haven't listened to that many to take that leap.

Brings to my mind another topic: Who do people here say did the best solo work (or, whose solo work do you prefer): John, Paul, George or Ringo?

Brings to my mind another topic: Who do people here say did the best solo work (or, whose solo work do you prefer): John, Paul, George or Ringo?

That's a difficult question to answer.

I think I have more favourite songs done by John as a soloist than the others.  But I also love George's work.

I never really cared for Wings.

• Like 1

Off-topic BTW, Lawrence, is your avatar from "The Lady Eve"?  Looks like Hopsie Pike to me, lol.

Well you would know.    What does that mirror in your avatar say?   ;)

(BTW,  that scene and how Sturges shot it,  the narration, etc.. is part of my top 5 most favorite comic moments in movie history). 

Well you would know. What does that mirror in your avatar say? ;)

(BTW, that scene and how Sturges shot it, the narration, etc.. is part of my top 5 most favorite comic moments in movie history).

I love that scene. And I love Stanwyck's body language showing how c0cky and confident Jean (aka Eugenia) Harrington is. That's why I like this avatar. :)

• Like 1

Fra--I was asking about The Mamas & the Papas and jug band music like the Lovin Spoonful. Do you like that kind of music?

I'm not "Fra" but I love The Mamas & the Papas.  Despite whatever John Phillips may or may not have done with his daughter does not affect how much I love their music.  Their four part harmonies were gorgeous and I loved Mama Cass' voice.

My favorite Mamas & Papas song is "I Saw Her Again" with of course, "California Dreamin'" and "Monday, Monday."  I also love "This is Dedicated to the One I Love," and their cover of "Dancing in the Street."  Mama Cass had such a beautiful voice, it's a shame she died so young.

Ten favorite songs from The White Album.

I'm so tired

Dear Prudence

Happiness is a Warm Gun

Cry Baby Cry

Mother Nature's Son

Sexy Sadie

The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill

Back in the U.S.S.R.

Savoy Truffle

Revolution 9

Paperback Writer did hit Number One in the

U.S. and UK.

My Top 10 favorite White Album songs, in no particular order:

1. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

2. While My Guitar Gently Weeps

3. Happiness is a Warm Gun

4. Blackbird

5. Rocky Raccoon

6. Why Don't We Do it in the Road?

7. Birthday

8. Sexy Sadie

9. Helter Skelter (I've got blisters on my fingers!) 

10. Revolution #1 

Solo work I prefer:

1. George

2. John

3. Ringo

4. Paul (I like "Band on the Run," "Jet," and "Live and Let Die." but most of his songs are too schmaltzy.  I absolutely loathe his "Wonderful Christmastime" song.  Though I love his duet with Michael Jackson, "The Girl is Mine," that song cracks me up) 

It wasn't until I heard John Lennon's album Double Fantasy that I realized who The Beatles really were--

Watching the Wheels - - the second song on the second side

I played it one time and I said to myself-- we always said John Lennon was the leader and brains behind The Beatles,

Now I can hear for myself that John Lennon was The Beatles.

He had it all, in that one song- - all by himself.

I'm glad I found that out before he died.

So Watching the Wheels is my favorite John Lennon song and I always say, also, it's the last Beatles song.

• Like 2

I'm not "Fra" but I love The Mamas & the Papas.  Despite whatever John Phillips may or may not have done with his daughter does not affect how much I love their music.  Their four part harmonies were gorgeous and I loved Mama Cass' voice.

My favorite Mamas & Papas song is "I Saw Her Again" with of course, "California Dreamin'" and "Monday, Monday."  I also love "This is Dedicated to the One I Love," and their cover of "Dancing in the Street."  Mama Cass had such a beautiful voice, it's a shame she died so young.

I  AM Fra, and you're not..........I love "Twelve Thirty" and "California Dreamin", but aside from them, there's not  much else I like by them. The Spoonful are better. Spanky and Our Gang are much better.

Sepia--

You know a lot about rock and roll and I want to hear what you got to say.

But God only knows I'm not conducting a graduate seminar here - - because God only knows I've been in enough graduate seminars to know how to conduct one-- in 2 different languages.

This Thread is really open-ended about classic rock and roll.

Whenever somebody wants to share, I want to hear it.

Some people get their thoughts together by making lists, while some people think more in a chronological manner.

Sepia, I've got to agree with you, I don't want a thread with just a bunch of lists or just a bunch of videos. But as long as life is, sometimes we need illustrations and sometimes we need organization in our lives.

You just may be a little more advanced than some of us in terms of how you are able to organize the music in a historical and a chronological manner.

That's why your contributions are so invaluable.

In life we are all at different stages. And some people may want to approach this in a different manner.

But I'm one of those Live and Let Live, play it as it lays, and go with the flow type of person. And I think that's what rock and roll is too.

Nobody has mentioned Lovin' Spoonful yet or The Mamas & the Papas.

I know every line in Creeque Ally. I wonder if anybody ever heard a recording of the Mugwumps?

Heh----

I was just going to cut out everything except your use of the phrase "God only knows" and crack wise about it being one of my favorite BEACH BOYS songs!

But I resisted. but it IS, but.........

I know I can go on and on about the topic.  And I  just reached ONE "pivotal point" in rock's history, and there've been several.  I was going to continue on into 1968 to about 1970, and also the radio "war" between AM and FM, and how AM tried in vain to survive, and how i didn't think ALL music on AM was plastic and cheezy, and there were some good tunes heard on AM in the early to mid '70's.  my favorite examples---

"DRIFT AWAY"--Dobie Gray

"ONE TOKE OVER THE LINE"--Brewer and Shipley

"STUCK IN THE MIDDLE"---Steeler's Wheel

"GOOD TIME CHARLIE'S GOT THE BLUES"--Danny O'Keefe

"AUBREY"--Bread

"NEVER BEEN ANY REASON"--Head East

Anything by a group mentioned by me before, but also sadly never got any FM airtime, though they certainly deserved it, was--

RATCHELL

They DID have a "top 40" AM single released called "JULIE MY WOMAN", not the BEST thing off their debut LP( sadly, they only released two) but a good song nonetheless.

I can't provide clips( not enough PC moxie) but I do think some of their stuff can be found on YouTube.  Worth a look....

And, iff'n you DO look, see if you can find "Out of Hand".  DAMN fine tune!

Gotta book now, so more later if and when  ;)

Sepiatone

I'm fine-tuning my acid rock playlist. The music has to play only a certain length of time. Which song do you people like better--------Count Five's "Psychotic Reaction" or the Electric Prunes' "I Had Too Much to Dream Last Night"?

Both good choices. I have them both on my mp3 player as well. I think I'd go with the latter.

Both good choices. I have them both on my mp3 player as well. I think I'd go with the latter.

Fi-- the electric prunes that was one of my songs I bought that record so it must be good. About that time also Time Won't Let Me by The Outsiders that song really moves too.

• Like 1

Heh----

I was just going to cut out everything except your use of the phrase "God only knows" and crack wise about it being one of my favorite BEACH BOYS songs!

But I resisted. but it IS, but.........

I know I can go on and on about the topic. And I just reached ONE "pivotal point" in rock's history, and there've been several. I was going to continue on into 1968 to about 1970, and also the radio "war" between AM and FM, and how AM tried in vain to survive, and how i didn't think ALL music on AM was plastic and cheezy, and there were some good tunes heard on AM in the early to mid '70's. my favorite examples---

"DRIFT AWAY"--Dobie Gray

"ONE TOKE OVER THE LINE"--Brewer and Shipley

"STUCK IN THE MIDDLE"---Steeler's Wheel

"GOOD TIME CHARLIE'S GOT THE BLUES"--Danny O'Keefe

"AUBREY"--Bread

"NEVER BEEN ANY REASON"--Head East

Anything by a group mentioned by me before, but also sadly never got any FM airtime, though they certainly deserved it, was--

RATCHELL

They DID have a "top 40" AM single released called "JULIE MY WOMAN", not the BEST thing off their debut LP( sadly, they only released two) but a good song nonetheless.

I can't provide clips( not enough PC moxie) but I do think some of their stuff can be found on YouTube. Worth a look....

And, iff'n you DO look, see if you can find "Out of Hand". DAMN fine tune!

Gotta book now, so more later if and when ;)

Sepiatone

I'd like to think I'm the biggest Brian Wilson fan on the planet but maybe I'm not. Of course I love that song and of course that's why I used that title and of course Carl Wilson's voice was just beautiful on that record.

But I just wasn't made for these times and wouldn't it be nice are my two favorites from Pet Sounds.

I think the reason it affects my ability is that he is the one who wrote the songs.  If he had not written the songs, I might not care.

I have also sung *every* song he ever wrote in choir and jam sessions so it is not like I did not have a long history of their music.

If it had been Mama Cass that wrote all the songs, I would still listen to them.

I feel I must point out that  I did not actually throw out anyone else's music of that group (I didn't go to my neighbours and throw out their music), and songs he wrote that were recorded by other people I still listen to.

It wasn't until I heard John Lennon's album Double Fantasy that I realized who The Beatles really were--

Watching the Wheels - - the second song on the second side

I played it one time and I said to myself-- we always said John Lennon was the leader and brains behind The Beatles,

Now I can hear for myself that John Lennon was The Beatles.

He had it all, in that one song- - all by himself.

I'm glad I found that out before he died.

So Watching the Wheels is my favorite John Lennon song and I always say, also, it's the last Beatles song.

I was 4 years old when he died. I am just happy I was alive when he was alive.

My 3 favourite post-Beatles songs by John Lennon, whether solo or with Yoko Ono or with choirs etc. are, in no order:

1. Imagine

2. Woman

3. War Is Over/So This is Christmas

Jefferson Airplane gave an unannounced performance of "House at Pooneil Corners" on a New York roof in 1968. Look at the youtube. Groovy.

Quite a while back, we mentioned that Dylan was the artist whose song titles often bore little relation to the lyrics of his songs. The Airplane can give him a run for his money in this regard.

I go with the original John, Paul, George, and Ringo. I like

Ringo and have no problem with him being in the Hall of

Fame as a solo artist, but I have never regarded his

musical talent to be on the same level as that of John

and Paul. Whatever superlative you want to apply to

them, it's hard to use it for Ringo.

YT uploaders are often careless in their use of song titles.

The actual title of the Lennon song is Happy Xmas (War

Is Over).

• Like 1

I go with the original John, Paul, George, and Ringo. I like

Ringo and have no problem with him being in the Hall of

Fame as a solo artist, but I have never regarded his

musical talent to be on the same level as that of John

and Paul. Whatever superlative you want to apply to

them, it's hard to use it for Ringo.

YT uploaders are often careless in their use of song titles.

The actual title of the Lennon song is Happy Xmas (War

Is Over).

Thanks for the correct title of Happy Xmas (War is Over).  Much appreciated.