Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I Saw A Deadhead Sticker on a Cadillac-- Don't Look Back

Princess of Tap

"Nature's Way" is the only Spirit song I've heard, and I've only heard that one a few times. 

As for the Guess Who, I've never heard of the one you mentioned above. The only ones that got airplay on our stations were "No Time" , "These Eyes" and of course "American Woman", which was one of the most overplayed songs in classic rock radio history, and a big reason I never delved deeper into the Guess Who catalog.

American Woman is a song that I don't know if American audiences really understood.

I would have to check when that song was recorded, but it is not about a human woman who is American.

It is a song about The Statue of Liberty.

There was something going on in US when the Guess Who recorded that song, but I don't know what year it was.

According to wiki, Randy Bachman, the guitarist, says "American Woman" is an anti-war song, with the woman being the statue of liberty.

However, singer Burton Cummings, who wrote the lyrics, said it was about American women being more sexually aggressive, more worldly, than Canadian women.

Either way, I always thought the song was terrible, and I never cared about any anti-American or anti-woman sentiments that bothered other people. I just thought it sounded like garbage.

• Like 1

Yeah, we were all clueless.

I word it that way, because I noticed in the movie American Beauty, this song is a major part of the soundtrack.  Kevin Spacey's character loved that song.

I really don't know when the song was recorded.  I will have to look that up.

Though he was the leader of the Airplane,he never got as much focus as Slick, Balin, and even Kaukonen (because of his looks and great guitar.)

I was thinking of the Eagles and Glenn Frey.

The Eagles certainly sold more records than Jefferson Airplane. But the response that Glenn Frey's death received had a lot to do with his solo career.

In some ways Don Henley's solo career was really bigger than his Eagles career.

You have to take that into account when you look at the mainstream interest in a particular rock and roll artist.

Both Henley and Frey were very big with the MTV videos. I think Frey was singing songs for the Beverly Hills Cop movie-- which came in for really wide exposure.

Grace Slick and the Starship were also big with the videos on MTV and associated with movies. That's given her a wider audience then some of the original artists in Jefferson Airplane.

According to wiki, Randy Bachman, the guitarist, says "American Woman" is an anti-war song, with the woman being the statue of liberty.

However, singer Burton Cummings, who wrote the lyrics, said it was about American women being more sexually aggressive, more worldly, than Canadian women.

Either way, I always thought the song was terrible, and I never cared about any anti-American or anti-woman sentiments that bothered other people. I just thought it sounded like garbage.

They play it a lot now on the baby boomer radio station--

" I don't want your war machines--I don't want your ghetto scenes"

I bought Shakin' All Over - - but American Woman was a decent enough song to listen to,

However, I don't think I would have a hissy and a cow over it. There must be hundreds of songs better than that one.

• Like 2

Ah, The Eagles - one of my favourite bands of all time.

Here are ten of my favourites in order: it is no coincidence that many are from a specific album

1. Peaceful Easy Feeling

2. Desperado

3. Drive

4. Tequila Sunrise

5. Hotel California

6. Lyin' Eyes

7. The Best of My Love

8. I Can't tell You Why

9. Take It Easy

10. Please Come Home For Christmas

They mean too much to me to share with everyone - sorry!

My top 5 acid rock songs: (as of today---this is really tough)

Jefferson Airplane---House at Pooneil Corners

13th Floor Elevators---Slip Inside This House

Jefferson Airplane--Watch Her Ride

Cream---Deserted Cities of the Heart

Doors--My Eyes Have Seen You

• Like 2

My top 5 acid rock songs: (as of today---this is really tough)

Jefferson Airplane---House at Pooneil Corners

13th Floor Elevators---Slip Inside This House

Jefferson Airplane--Watch Her Ride

Cream---Deserted Cities of the Heart

Doors--My Eyes Have Seen You

My top 5 '80s alternative rock: (this is even tougher)

David Bowie--Scary Monsters

Violent Femmes--Kiss Off

The The--I've Been Waiting for Tomorrow

Romeo Void--Never Say Never

New Order---Bizarre Love Triangle

• Like 1

The one thing for me about Don Henley was how most of his songs seem to follow the same metre in construction.  Some may be a faster tempo than the others, but if you slowed them down(or sped up, considering...) all to the same speed, they'd match beat for beat witth no variation. But there's a few I don't mind listening to. 

BUT TO THROW IN ANOTHER WRENCH------

I was watching an episode of "American Pickers" in which their "Gal Friday" DANNIELLE was looking over a pile of movie posters and one for  the '66 biker flick WILD ANGELS hit the creen, and it reminded me of how big a deal the instrumental tune BLUE'S THEME by DAVY ALLEN and THE ARROWS was at the time.

Up until then, not too much use was made of the FUZZ TONE for guitars, but as this tune landed smack dab in the middle of the "Psychedelic" period of popular music( when the fuzz box finally came into it's own), it was well recieved.

Forget entirely that Allen's guitar work in it is totally forgettable( nothing a five year old novice couldn't handle) it seems to me now, in retrospect, that this tune could be considered "Psychedelic Surf". Based mostly on Allen's original claim to fame was as a "surf music" guitarist.

Not exactly "classic" rock, but a blast to the past for sure.  And speaking of such....

Nobody's seemed to redeem the fact that, in the middle of all this "acid rock" discussion, that NObody's mentioned the one guy who's probably responsible for it to be CALLED "acid rock" ---JIMI HENDRIX.

But then, as there seems to be a propensity for limiting favorites to a choice of only THREE, it would be impossible for me to limit it that severely as far as Hendrix tunes go.  But I'm willing to bet-----

Many in here who try will undoubtedly choose  those that even made AM airtime! ("Purple Haze", "Hey, Joe" and "Foxy Lady" ) and overlook (and possibly are unfamiliar with) the catalog of many MUCH finer examples of his talent that exist.

Sepiatone

The one thing for me about Don Henley was how most of his songs seem to follow the same metre in construction.  Some may be a faster tempo than the others, but if you slowed them down(or sped up, considering...) all to the same speed, they'd match beat for beat witth no variation. But there's a few I don't mind listening to. 

BUT TO THROW IN ANOTHER WRENCH------

I was watching an episode of "American Pickers" in which their "Gal Friday" DANNIELLE was looking over a pile of movie posters and one for  the '66 biker flick WILD ANGELS hit the creen, and it reminded me of how big a deal the instrumental tune BLUE'S THEME by DAVY ALLEN and THE ARROWS was at the time.

Up until then, not too much use was made of the FUZZ TONE for guitars, but as this tune landed smack dab in the middle of the "Psychedelic" period of popular music( when the fuzz box finally came into it's own), it was well recieved.

Forget entirely that Allen's guitar work in it is totally forgettable( nothing a five year old novice couldn't handle) it seems to me now, in retrospect, that this tune could be considered "Psychedelic Surf". Based mostly on Allen's original claim to fame was as a "surf music" guitarist.

Not exactly "classic" rock, but a blast to the past for sure.  And speaking of such....

Nobody's seemed to redeem the fact that, in the middle of all this "acid rock" discussion, that NObody's mentioned the one guy who's probably responsible for it to be CALLED "acid rock" ---JIMI HENDRIX.

But then, as there seems to be a propensity for limiting favorites to a choice of only THREE, it would be impossible for me to limit it that severely as far as Hendrix tunes go.  But I'm willing to bet-----

Many in here who try will undoubtedly choose  those that even made AM airtime! ("Purple Haze", "Hey, Joe" and "Foxy Lady" ) and overlook (and possibly are unfamiliar with) the catalog of many MUCH finer examples of his talent that exist.

Sepiatone

Top 3 Hendrix songs:

Are You Experienced

All Along the Watchtower

Stone Free

I am late to answering this thread again.:

I don't have favourites artists of acid rock, so listing favourites would be very hard.

My favourite Hendrix song period is "Purple Haze."

My 3 Favourites of Don Henley as a soloist:

1.The Boys of Summer

2. All She Wants to Do Is Dance

3. End of the Innocence

Have you ever had a rock song with you just can't stop playing you play it over and over and over again.

Well I was moderately that way with two numbers - -

Keep an eye on summer by Brian Wilson's Beach Boys and I tried I tried but I can't say goodbye by The Hollies.

But there was one song that got me in real trouble.

Hall & Oates' song called Say It Isn't So.

I was living in a three plus one on Chicago's near north side. There was a little Courtyard in the back. We were actually not far from Belmont Harbor. Nice Breezy location.

Well, I could never play this song, Say It Isn't So, one time and usually it was 25 to 50x. To be honest with you.

I started getting Anonymous letters, Anonymous phone calls, really threatening things. People said homophobic things about Hall & Oates and they said homophobic things about me.

Eventually I did move, but I have to say that I may have turned down--God only knows I could never do that-- the stereo but I never stopped playing that record.

In private now I've got it in the car and the tape is worn out.

Not to worry I've got 2 Hall and Oates CDs.

I'm just wondering if that's ever happened to anybody else?

Have you ever had a rock song with you just can't stop playing you play it over and over and over again.

Well I was moderately that way with two numbers - -

Keep an eye on summer by Brian Wilson's Beach Boys and I tried I tried but I can't say goodbye by The Hollies.

But there was one song that got me in real trouble.

Hall & Oates' song called Say It Isn't So.

I was living in a three plus one on Chicago's near north side. There was a little Courtyard in the back. We were actually not far from Belmont Harbor. Nice Breezy location.

Well, I could never play this song, Say It Isn't So, one time and usually it was 25 to 50x. To be honest with you.

I started getting Anonymous letters, Anonymous phone calls, really threatening things. People said homophobic things about Hall & Oates and they said homophobic things about me.

Eventually I did move, but I have to say that I may have turned down--God only knows I could never do that-- the stereo but I never stopped playing that record.

In private now I've got it in the car and the tape is worn out.

Not to worry I've got 2 Hall and Oates CDs.

I'm just wondering if that's ever happened to anybody else?

Well, you know it is ironic you should mention this.

I am glad that you moved although it angers and saddens me that you were the one that had to move instead of the other people.

Regarding songs that you play over and over and love so much and then something happens that alters your ability to enjoy the song.

I have a similar relationship with the song "Peaceful Easy Feeling."

The Eagles was my late father's favourite band. Peaceful Easy Feeling was considered to be my family's song.

Every member of my family  sings this song and knows it by heart - whether singing the melody or the harmony.

Then my father died.  I was totally unable to listen to the song for over a year. and yet it kept playing in my head.

I finally broke this not playing this song a year after he died when Mom and I had a year after memorial.

While it played, I sang it and Mom cried.

But now, I sing it all the time.

I was obsessed with The Beach Boys' "Surfer Girl" for awhile.  I also couldn't get enough of Foo Fighters' "Big Me" for quite some time.  Not rock, but I was also obsessed with Sinatra's rendition of "One For My Baby (And One More For the Road)."  There are a lot of songs on my iPod that no matter how many times I hear them, I never tire of them.  

• Like 1

Re the other "Favorites" that have been discussed:

Favorite Eagles songs:

1. Witchy Woman

2. James Dean

3. New Kid in Town

4. One of These Nights

5. Heartache Tonight

6. Hotel California

7. Already Gone

8. Best of My Love

9. Lyin' Eyes

10. Tequila Sunrise

Favorite Don Henley Songs:

1. All She Wants to Do is Dance

2. Leather and Lace w/ Stevie Nicks

3. Dirty Laundry

4. The Boys of Summer

5. The End of the Innocence

Favorite Jimi Hendrix Songs:

1. All Along the Watchtower (much better than Dylan's original version)

2. The Star Spangled Banner (That counts right?)

3. Little Wing

4. Hey Joe

5. Foxy Lady (Every time I hear this song I think of Garth from Wayne's World)

6. Purple Haze

7. Castles Made of Sand

8. Fire

9. Bold As Love

10. Are You Experienced?

• Like 1

Since I don't think anyone else has mentioned it, i have to say one of my favorite Hendrix songs is "Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)".

This is a song that I do not know. as I said, I'm not too familiar with Hendrix songs except the most famous ones.