I Saw A Deadhead Sticker on a Cadillac-- Don't Look Back

Princess of Tap

Favorite Don Henley Songs:

1. All She Wants to Do is Dance

2. Leather and Lace w/ Stevie Nicks

3. Dirty Laundry

4. The Boys of Summer

5. The End of the Innocence

What I love about Don Henley's songs are the lyrics and the way he sings them in that rhythmic away. Drummers are percussionists like tap dancers and they have a special facility with singing the way they play the instrument.

That's why all the great composers preferred Fred Astaire to any of those famous singers and Fred Astaire was really just a tap dancer-- but they liked the way he could rhythmically handle their songs, he put his taps in his voice.

Sunset Grill is an example of good storytelling ability Plus local color cultural viewpoints that are easily Universal viewpoints. How it all fits together with the mood and tone of the song!

I tell people that All She Wants To Do Is Dance was My autobiography - - but my life was never that exciting-- all I could just say if I had ever written a song, I wish it would have been that one.

The political aspects of that song are just unbelievable. I'd say the same thing about Dirty Laundry.

Which brings us to a guy named Danny Kortchmar-- Henley's collaborator, record producer and my ghost writer for All She Wants To Do Is Dance. His nickname is ****, I hope you get it but for some reason the automatic censor doesn't like it.

It took Don Henley and Kortchmar two years to build the perfect Beast.

For me the lyrics are just as important as the music.

And obviously I've dedicated this thread to those two great rock and roll artists: Henley & Kortchmar--

Kick em when they're up

Kick em when they're down

Kick em when they're stiff

Kick em all around

• Like 2

Princess - Re: Astaire singing:

The thing that composers really loved about him is that he simply *sang*-

I know that Michael Bolton has a great voice and everything, but I can't listen to him because he is so in love with his own voice.

He ruined Percy Sledge's "When a Man loves a Woman" with the ending.

This version was popular when I was in high school  but during our prom. Percy's version was the one that was played.

Bolton's version skipped that important, tender, emotional ending;

"cause Baby, baby, Baby - 'You're My world."

Those three words say everything you need to know.

Fred Astaire was the kind of singer who knew that.

Re the other "Favorites" that have been discussed:

Favorite Jimi Hendrix Songs:

1. All Along the Watchtower (much better than Dylan's original version)

2. The Star Spangled Banner (That counts right?)

3. Little Wing

4. Hey Joe

5. Foxy Lady (Every time I hear this song I think of Garth from Wayne's World)

6. Purple Haze

7. Castles Made of Sand

8. Fire

9. Bold As Love

10. Are You Experienced?

Finally!  I get a turn at Hendrix...and glad to see the limit is off-----my favorites are...

MANIC DEPRESSION

THIRD STONE FROM THE SUN

I DON'T LIVE TODAY 

and now on to Axis

UP FROM THE SKIES

WAIT UNTIL TOMORROW

YOU GOT ME FLOATING

ONE RANY WISH

and of course--

BOLD AS LOVE

now for electric Ladyland

CROSSTOWN TRAFFIC

RAINY DAY, DREAM AWAY/STILL RAINING,  STILL DREAMING

HOUSE BURNING DOWN

VOODOO CHILE

1983(a merman I should turn to be)

LONG, HOT SUMMER NIGHT

VOODOO CHILD( slight return)

EAGLES SONGS?

TAKE IT EASY

WITCHY WOMAN

DESPERADO

PEACEFUL EASY FEELING

LIFE IN THE FAST LANE

Sepiatone

• Like 2

I was obsessed with The Beach Boys' "Surfer Girl" for awhile.  I also couldn't get enough of Foo Fighters' "Big Me" for quite some time.  Not rock, but I was also obsessed with Sinatra's rendition of "One For My Baby (And One More For the Road)."  There are a lot of songs on my iPod that no matter how many times I hear them, I never tire of them.  

I have listened to the Airplane's "House at Pooneil Corners" about 50 times in the past week, and I'm coming back for more.

• Like 1

May This Be Love

Red House

Manic Depression

Burning of the Midnight Lamp

Angel

Not me, but somebody down at the

radio station keeps playing Free Bird.

Y'know, It may have been much easier for me to list the Hendrix tunes I DIDN'T like, as those choices are fewer!

and THOSE would be

BURNING OF THE MIDNIGHT LAMP( sorry, Vautrin)

STONE FREE  (I think most of the "psuedo hip" liked it because they thought it had something to do with getting stoned)

And...............that's IT!      So....

SEE WHAT  MEAN?  B)

But Vautrin's other choices are excellent as well.  As a couple were oversights in my case.  I may also add to MY list of likes----

ROOMFUL OF MIRRORS

WHO KNOWS (from the overlooked Band Of Gypsys  as are the next two)

MACHINE GUN

POWER TO LOVE

Now, get y'selves a cup of coffee, 'cause there's a long list coming....

As we SEEM to be moving chronologically through what might be considered the "classic rock era", we're coming up on a period of music in which the FM rock stations sort of created a format of radio known as AOR (album oriented rock). Also known (and I'm just being "cute" here) the 70's! The stations would not only play any songs the LABELS wantd treated as SINGLES( as throughout the '70's they were STILL pressing 45s and selling them) but then also, at their discretions, play any other tracks off the LP. 

This is probably almost as rich in change and diversity of genre as the '60's, as many who climbed and JUMPED to fame and glory featured music that covered a WIDE breadth of genres, and in fact, some of the most famous were actually personel "tweakings"  of bands that had some good success in the late '60's( like FLEETWOOD MAC) and found great fame and favor in the '70's.

Among the LONG list of well known '70's AOR bands and artists are:

AEROSMITH

STEELY DAN

THE DOOBIE BROTHERS

FOGHAT

ELO(electric light orchestra)

ELP( Emerson Lak and Palmer)

RUSH

TRIUMPH

BAD COMPANY

URIAH HEEP

YES

FOCUS

GRAND FUNK RAILROAD (another of those '60's bands whose fame really took off in the '70's)

FOREIGNER

HUMBLE PIE

10 C.C.

BLACK SABBATH

KANSAS

SUPERTRAMP

JETHRO TULL (ALSO a '60's holdover)

Z Z TOP

BOSTON

The STEVE MILLER BAND

J. GEILS BAND

ROXY MUSIC

THIN LIZZIE

Some of the solo artists, some who hark to the late '60's, but really grew in the '70's

JOE WALSH( who jumped out of the late '60's JAMS GANG)

BILLY JOEL

CAT STEVENS

JIM CROCE

ROBERT PALMER

PETER FRAMPTON

ELTON JOHN

DAVID BOWIE( yeah, started in '60's, but the '70's were HIS "golden days")

GARY WRIGHT

I'm outa time, and I know there's many I've overlooked.

AND it looks like we'll be at this until CHRISTMAS!!  B)

Sepiatone

FLEETWOOD MAC

Fleetwood Mac!  Now there's a great band.  I don't have time to post all the songs I like by them, but off the top of my head I would have to say that my favorite would be "The Chain".

The best part of the song falls toward the end, with the building base line and percussion, then the jangling guitar, then the harmonizing line over and over, "Chaaaaain, keep us together (running in the shadows)"...

Y'know, It may have been much easier for me to list the Hendrix tunes I DIDN'T like, as those choices are fewer!

and THOSE would be

BURNING OF THE MIDNIGHT LAMP( sorry, Vautrin)

STONE FREE  (I think most of the "psuedo hip" liked it because they thought it had something to do with getting stoned)

And...............that's IT!      So....

SEE WHAT  MEAN?  B)

But Vautrin's other choices are excellent as well.  As a couple were oversights in my case.  I may also add to MY list of likes----

ROOMFUL OF MIRRORS

WHO KNOWS (from the overlooked Band Of Gypsys  as are the next two)

MACHINE GUN

POWER TO LOVE

Now, get y'selves a cup of coffee, 'cause there's a long list coming....

As we SEEM to be moving chronologically through what might be considered the "classic rock era", we're coming up on a period of music in which the FM rock stations sort of created a format of radio known as AOR (album oriented rock). Also known (and I'm just being "cute" here) the 70's! The stations would not only play any songs the LABELS wantd treated as SINGLES( as throughout the '70's they were STILL pressing 45s and selling them) but then also, at their discretions, play any other tracks off the LP. 

This is probably almost as rich in change and diversity of genre as the '60's, as many who climbed and JUMPED to fame and glory featured music that covered a WIDE breadth of genres, and in fact, some of the most famous were actually personel "tweakings"  of bands that had some good success in the late '60's( like FLEETWOOD MAC) and found great fame and favor in the '70's.

Sepiatone

To each their own. Most of the obvious choices were already taken.

I like that guitar intro to Burning, wah-wah or whatever the technical

name is, and the rest of the song is pretty good too. I remember

that WNEW-FM in New York was likely the hip station to listen to

in that area in the early and mid 1970s. They played album tracks

from even the very obscure bands.

To each their own. Most of the obvious choices were already taken.

I like that guitar intro to Burning, wah-wah or whatever the technical

name is, and the rest of the song is pretty good too. I remember

that WNEW-FM in New York was likely the hip station to listen to

in that area in the early and mid 1970s. They played album tracks

from even the very obscure bands.

Do you remember DJ Carol Miller? I knew her in college. She might have been on WPLJ-FM.

"Fleetwood Mac!  Now there's a great band.  I don't have time to post all the songs I like by them, but off the top of my head I would have to say that my favorite would be "The Chain". "

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

And THERE'S that word "great" again!  WAY overused here, but if that's your opinion, then so be it.

I liked the FIRST incarnation of FLEETWOOD MAC than after they rebooted with new personel( I think drummer MICK FLETWOOD was the only remainer from their first go 'round.)  It pains me to realize that TOO MANY "weekend warriors" only know of the band AFTER 1974, and NEVEr had ANY idea that the band's been around in one form or another since '68  when PETER GREEN and JEREMY SPENCER were in the band.  Oh, and JOHN McVIE, who, like Mick Fleetwood, was ALSO a JOHN MAYALL'S BLUESBREAKER alum, was also a remainder in the new line-up, and I think is still with 'em.

MY favorite MAC tunes span both incarnations, as I never WAS a big fan of the mis '70's MAC, and never COULD stand STEVIE NICKS (thought Cristine was the better singer!) but the new line up did a couple os so I thought were OK  so my short list, spanning both bands is:

DRAGONFLY

BLACK MAGIC WOMAN( cracks me UP when I think that many thought Carlos Santana actually wrote that tune!)

OH, WELL pts. 1&2

GO YOUR OWN WAY

SECOND HAND NEWS

Plus there's a few the dusty old noggin just can't dredge up!   :D

But c'mon now, there's a LOT of '70's bands to cover!  Where do we start?

Sepiatone

ERP!

Don't know HOW this all wound up in the quote box! 

Do you remember DJ Carol Miller? I knew her in college. She might have been on WPLJ-FM.

No. I didn't remember WPLJ-FM until you mentioned it.

I probably listened to that station too. The DJ I remember

best was Alison Steele, the Nightbird, on WNEW-FM.

She did the late night show and played a lot of prog rock,

among other stuff. What a sexy voice. Then for something

very different there was WBAI-FM.

Earlier lineup of Fleetwood Mac:

Homeward Bound

Child of Mine

Spare Me a Little of Your Love

In general, the ones with Stevie Nicks up front tend to be my favorites.

I like Stevie Nicks, I like how she always looks like a New Age gypsy.  

With that said, is anyone as tired of "Landslide" as I am ?

Aw, that's one of my faves. It always puts me in a reflective mood. :)

I like the song, but I think it is played too much on the radio. Have you heard the Smashing Pumpkins cover? Not as good as Stevie Nicks' original version.

I like the song, but I think it is played too much on the radio. Have you heard the Smashing Pumpkins cover? Not as good as Stevie Nicks' original version.

Yeah, I didn't like the S.P. cover.

But I feel the same way about "Turn, Turn, Turn" by The Byrds. It's such a beautiful song, but it was played so much over so many years that I just can't listen to it anymore.