Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I Saw A Deadhead Sticker on a Cadillac-- Don't Look Back

Princess of Tap

Yeah, I didn't like the S.P. cover.

But I feel the same way about "Turn, Turn, Turn" by The Byrds. It's such a beautiful song, but it was played so much over so many years that I just can't listen to it anymore.

Eugenia-- I've been listening to that song since 1965 so I'm the one who should be saying that

-- but for me the song is so well executed, so tight-- hearing it today is just like the first time.

The secret to that is always the drummer-- that Mike Clarke was a sharp one.

• Like 1

I believe Peter Green played on Fleetwood Mac's 1979 double album: Tusk

My favorite (Peter Green's) Fleetwood Mac song is Oh Well (1969)

His "Black Magic Woman" is good, but I too, really liked "Oh, Well".

There used to be a TOP HAT hamburger joint I used to hang out in( Top Hat burgers were similar to WHITE CASTLE'S except the patties didn't have any HOLES in them)  At the end of the counter, there was one of those "countertop" Seeburg song selectors( with the flipping pages) that was sort of broken, and if one knew how, they could play anything they wanted for free.

I'd sit in "my spot" for hours, drinking coffee, and playing "Oh, Well" and Blood Sweat and Tears' abreviated version of "Blues Part II" over and over.

Sepiatone

Eugenia-- I've been listening to that song since 1965 so I'm the one who should be saying that

For me it's been since the early 1970s but still, you win. ;)

It's funny, I can't say the same about "Mr. Tambourine Man" - that's the Byrds song I never tire of, no matter how many times I listen to it. It's also on my iPod. Maybe it's the song construction, compared to "Turn, Turn, Turn" (harmonizing then a single voice, the lyrics, etc.)

I do! (I grew up in NY. We listened to a lot of rock on WPLJ.)

I think WKTU played the dreaded disco.

Carol Miller, in college, had a heavy NY accent off-air. But on-air she had no accent, with a really sexy voice. She was on the college radio station.

It's funny, I can't say the same about "Mr. Tambourine Man" - that's the Byrds song I never tire of, no matter how many times I listen to it. It's also on my iPod. Maybe it's the song construction, compared to "Turn, Turn, Turn" (harmonizing then a single voice, the lyrics, etc.)

I like "Tambourine Man" too, but it's regrettable( unless there's a "full" studio version they never played on the three minute limited AM radio back then) that they left out the last verse( I think the last two) that has one of my favorite Bob Dylan visual images( and Bob's had a lot of 'em)-----

"Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free;

Silhouetted by the sea"-----

Sepiatone

I like "Tambourine Man" too, but it's regrettable( unless there's a "full" studio version they never played on the three minute limited AM radio back then) that they left out the last verse( I think the last two) that has one of my favorite Bob Dylan visual images( and Bob's had a lot of 'em)-----

"Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free;

Silhouetted by the sea"-----

Sepiatone

Ooh, I like that. I don't think the Byrds ever did a full version of that song. But if anyone knows otherwise please let me know. :)

Oh, now you made me think of the CD that I have called SPACED OUT.

It is collection of songs sung by leonard Nimoy and

also "sung" by William Shatner which includes;

"Mr. Tamberine Man' and "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds."

I love this cd.

Has anyone mentioned the Byrds' "So You Want to be a Rock and Roll Star"? One of their best.

Fra-- the Byrds vs. The Yardbirds--Jeff Beck

The Byrds, I used to buy their albums. I know I had at least the First two - - what I really liked was:

it won't be wrong

Eight Miles High

Turn turn turn

I always thought mr. Tambourine Man was a well-put-together number - - and had a lot of hype, Dylan and all, it just never really turned me on--

Fra-- Now I can remember that what happened was that I got some Yardbird Jeff Beck record and it just blew me off --I think it was For Your Love. After that I just lost interest in mr. Tambourine Man-- but it's a well-crafted will arranged number. Very lovely

All that stuff Jeff Beck was doing, I just can't believe it didn't sell more records. I thought it was fabulous.

By the time they got to Over Under Sideways Down Backwards forward Square and Round, I felt like I was the only person in America who was buying their records. Jeff Beck went on--he did alright--i.e. all right now.

@POT---

ERIC CLAPTON was The Yardbirds' lead guitarist(and did some vocalizing) who was in FOR YOUR LOVE, but Clapton, who considered himself a "Blues purist" never really cared much for the "teeny-bop pop"  stuff the band was doing and left before the single was even released.  JEFF BECK stepped in quickly after that, and was on board and worked on the band's 2nd single "Heart Full Of Soul" later the same year.  It was actually their FOURTH single, one of those a UK release only, and their first single, "I Wish You Would"( an old Billy Boy Arnold tune) didn't get much airplay here in the states for some reason( they did a good cover of it, I thought, but of course, it WAS years aftr the fact before I finally heard it).

And, not to "nit pick", but the title was "Over,Under,Sideways Down"  ONLY!  ;)

JEFF BECK is a very good guitarist, but MANY years ago, I saw THE JAMES GANG( before they ever put out an LP) at The Grande Ballroom( Detroit's version of the Fillmore)  who in their set did a cover of JEFF'S BOOGIE that SMOKED Beck!

Sepiatone

Sepia-- I'm working from memories of 1964 and 1965 -- I really don't do research on The Yardbirds anymore. But I'm talking as a teenybopper. I always heard that was the big tragedy for Eric Clapton that he walked away from them so soon.

Did you get a chance to read all the symphony orchestras that I suggested maybe would be a good list if you wanted to have a Beethoven's 9th Symphony to listen to. Even though the list thread was clamped you can still read what I wrote If you haven't had a chance to do that and then you can tell me what you think of it.

At the very least, we would like to know what would be your favorite Orchestra recorded for Beethoven's 9th Symphony in D Minor and please don't forget to name the conductor as well or if it's recorded in the studio or if it's live.

@POT---

ERIC CLAPTON was The Yardbirds' lead guitarist(and did some vocalizing) who was in FOR YOUR LOVE, but Clapton, who considered himself a "Blues purist" never really cared much for the "teeny-bop pop" stuff the band was doing and left before the single was even released. JEFF BECK stepped in quickly after that, and was on board and worked on the band's 2nd single "Heart Full Of Soul" later the same year. It was actually their FOURTH single, one of those a UK release only, and their first single, "I Wish You Would"( an old Billy Boy Arnold tune) didn't get much airplay here in the states for some reason( they did a good cover of it, I thought, but of course, it WAS years aftr the fact before I finally heard it).

And, not to "nit pick", but the title was "Over,Under,Sideways Down" ONLY! ;)

JEFF BECK is a very good guitarist, but MANY years ago, I saw THE JAMES GANG( before they ever put out an LP) at The Grande Ballroom( Detroit's version of the Fillmore) who in their set did a cover of JEFF'S BOOGIE that SMOKED Beck!

Sepiatone

Also Sepia - - I've got to be honest with you the rock and roll is real nice topic for me and reminds me of my childhood. But as an adult I really listen to classical music. Maybe someday you and I can get a thread together on that because I know you know a lot about classical music.

Also Sepia - - I've got to be honest with you the rock and roll is real nice topic for me and reminds me of my childhood. But as an adult I really listen to classical music. Maybe someday you and I can get a thread together on that because I know you know a lot about classical music.

Still liking rock as much or more than I did 50 years ago is one thing that keeps me young.

Still liking rock as much or more than I did 50 years ago is one thing that keeps me young.

Fra--

I have to be honest with you. When I was in high school I used to get up and play Dave Clark Five bits and pieces or I Can't Get No Satisfaction early

every morning. At my age now, I just am not up to that anymore.

I play a lot of rock in the car and that makes me feel very young. Especially when you're driving fast. I particularly like Elton John. Hall & Oates, Don Henley, Joe Walsh, the Bee Gees, Robert Palmer and Bob Seger just to name a few.

But I studied classical piano 14 years and I'm leaning more towards that as I get older. It's a very calming influence.

And I can't help but notice that some songs that I used to listen to even ten or fifteen years ago, now I just don't like as much.

The only groups that I really listen to on a regular basis are my favorites.

And that's probably the way it should be.

I'm worn out 5 copies of Brian Wilson's Pet Sounds and now I'm on my 6th-- but that's my favorite Rock album.

Brian is doing a world tour right now and he's performing Pet Sounds live.

The tour has taken him from Australia and Japan to England. He should be in the United States this summer.

It is the 50th anniversary of Pet Sounds. Brian says this is going to be his last live performance of the album. Brian was born on the first day of summer June 21 - - and he'll be 74 years old this June.

I don't think I'll ever get too old for the Beach Boys. But they were my favorite.

Fra--

I have to be honest with you. When I was in high school I used to get up and play Dave Clark Five bits and pieces or I Can't Get No Satisfaction early

every morning. At my age now, I just am not up to that anymore.

I play a lot of rock in the car and that makes me feel very young. Especially when you're driving fast. I particularly like Elton John. Hall & Oates, Don Henley, Joe Walsh, the Bee Gees, Robert Palmer and Bob Seger just to name a few.

But I studied classical piano 14 years and I'm leaning more towards that as I get older. It's a very calming influence.

And I can't help but notice that some songs that I used to listen to even ten or fifteen years ago, now I just don't like as much.

The only groups that I really listen to on a regular basis are my favorites.

And that's probably the way it should be.

I'm worn out 5 copies of Brian Wilson's Pet Sounds and now I'm on my 6th-- but that's my favorite Rock album.

Brian is doing a world tour right now and he's performing Pet Sounds live.

The tour has taken him from Australia and Japan to England. He should be in the United States this summer.

It is the 50th anniversary of Pet Sounds. Brian says this is going to be his last live performance of the album. Brian was born on the first day of summer June 21 - - and he'll be 74 years old this June.

I don't think I'll ever get too old for the Beach Boys. But they were my favorite.

I don't want to be calm. I want to have as much energy as I had 40 years ago. I have more.

What do you people think of the genre of "Electronic Dance Music (EDM)"? I assume, not much. I know a woman who is really into it.

I've never heard a proper definition of EDM, as in, what constitutes it. Does it refer to current electronic music, or any electronic music? Do you have any examples of artists? I was heavily into Industrial music in the 80's and 90's, which has a lot of dance music undercurrents.

I've never heard a proper definition of EDM, as in, what constitutes it. Does it refer to current electronic music, or any electronic music? Do you have any examples of artists? I was heavily into Industrial music in the 80's and 90's, which has a lot of dance music undercurrents.

Start with Tiesto and Calvin Harris. The songs are mind-numbingly similar.

Start with Tiesto and Calvin Harris. The songs are mind-numbingly similar.

I just listened to them...yeah, not my thing. I can see it making okay background music in TV commercials or for workouts. Most pop anymore has that same sound, and most of it is recycled House and Techno from 30 years ago, just filtered through a new program. 

If it's really loud, like rattle-your-bones loud, and/or you're high and/or drunk, it may seem more transcendent. But to me it's 21st century elevator music.

No offense.  :ph34r:

I don't know all the names of the artists or the genres of current rock and roll/pop music- - but I've heard enough of it at the gym for the last few years that I can honestly say that it's mediocre music.

The melodies sound like elevator music and the lyrics are simply repeated over and over again - - not for any kind of artistic effect--more like they simply couldn't think of anything else to say or they have nothing to say or they're high on something.

One of the great attributes of rock and roll music whether it was in the fifties, sixties, seventies or eighties was that it told a good story - that sometimes it was political or current or it was just about a boy and a girl in love - - it lassoed you in and intrigued you enough to hold your attention.

You don't have to be Bob Dylan or John Lennon to write a viable Rock lyric that has some human interest.

Most of the stuff that I've heard in the gym is just crap-- comprable to a faucet that just keeps on dripping all night long.

But in all fairness to every generation who creates their own rock and roll music, they didn't create it for old people, they created it for themselves and their peers. It's their response to the environment they live in.

• Like 2