Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I Saw A Deadhead Sticker on a Cadillac-- Don't Look Back

Princess of Tap

The only thing "rock-like" I could stand in the '80's was the entire THE FLAT EARTH  LP from THOMAS DOLBY

But to choose favorites, WHITE CITY

MULU OF THE RAIN FOREST and..

HYPERACTIVE.

But the whole thing is pretty good IMHO

JOE JACKSON'S "SUNDAY PAPER" and "MAD AT YOU squeezes in, and possibly some STING, particularily

SYNCHONICITY II

But I've noticed that with all this discussion about "classic rock" going on, two of the largest AOR era( the meat of "classic rock" stations) the two groups glaringly overlooked were---

JETHRO TULL  and...

THE J. GEILS BAND

For Tull, my most liked are from their 2nd LP "STAND UP"  And perhaps a couple from

AQUALUNG

First,

NOTHING IS EASY

BOUREE  and

FAT MAN from"Stand Up"

and the title song AQUALUNG

CROSS EYED MARY  and LOCOMOTIVE BREATH

I can recall when Tull came to town, they were sold out within an HOUR!

For J GEILS, I only liked

WHAMMER JAMMER and

HARD DRIVING MAN  from their "LIVE"  FULL HOUSE LP  Recorded here in Detroits Eastown ballroom.

Sepiatone   :)

The J. Geils Band was never a mainstay of AOR around here. One or two songs in light rotation was about it. Tull was played a bit more, mainly the 3 big ones from Aqualung and a couple others, like "Bungle in the Jungle" and "Living in the Past".

The only thing "rock-like" I could stand in the '80's was the entire THE FLAT EARTH  LP from THOMAS DOLBY

But to choose favorites, WHITE CITY

MULU OF THE RAIN FOREST and..

HYPERACTIVE.

But the whole thing is pretty good IMHO

JOE JACKSON'S "SUNDAY PAPER" and "MAD AT YOU squeezes in, and possibly some STING, particularily

SYNCHONICITY II

But I've noticed that with all this discussion about "classic rock" going on, two of the largest AOR era( the meat of "classic rock" stations) the two groups glaringly overlooked were---

JETHRO TULL  and...

THE J. GEILS BAND

For Tull, my most liked are from their 2nd LP "STAND UP"  And perhaps a couple from

AQUALUNG

First,

NOTHING IS EASY

BOUREE  and

FAT MAN from"Stand Up"

and the title song AQUALUNG

CROSS EYED MARY  and LOCOMOTIVE BREATH

I can recall when Tull came to town, they were sold out within an HOUR!

For J GEILS, I only liked

WHAMMER JAMMER and

HARD DRIVING MAN  from their "LIVE"  FULL HOUSE LP  Recorded here in Detroits Eastown ballroom.

Sepiatone   :)

I've never seen Jethro Tull and J. Geils Band paired, but Tull was much better, particularly "Locomotive Breath" . There was a lot of great rock in the '80s, and that's even not including my beloved New Wave. Bon Jovi, ZZ Top, and Tom Petty, for starters.

I saw ******* Tull man back in the mid 1970s. I don't recall

the exact circumstances, but for some reason we were able

to improve our seats as the concert went on. Never got into

J. Geils. Tull put out some really good records in the late

1960s and early 1970s. After that, I drifted away.

I saw ******* Tull man back in the mid 1970s. I don't recall

the exact circumstances, but for some reason we were able

to improve our seats as the concert went on. Never got into

J. Geils. Tull put out some really good records in the late

1960s and early 1970s. After that, I drifted away.

What exactly got bleeped out?

I too, never really got into J GEILS that much beyongd the tunes I mentioned.  And SURE AS HELL couldn't stomache that FREEZE FRAME and CENTERFOLD swill!

I first heard of Jethro Tull  back in '68 when a buddy of mine( the drummer in the "basement band" I was in at the time) came home from a record shop somewhere and broke out THIS WAS( Tull's 1st LP) and UNDEAD( Ten Years After's 1st) and although in retrospect, Tull's music on that LP wasn't all that memorable, the idea of a flute in a rock band was still unique enough to keep us intrigued.

Luckily, a newspaper article about them a couple of years later about them yeilded some interesting info on them, and since then it's always amused me that many people still thought JETHRO TULL was the guy with the flute, and NOT the 18th century British agriculturalist the band got the name from( the real Tull was the man who invented the horse drawn hoe, and wrote a book on then modern agriculture that became the basis for farming methods still used today in some places)

I wouldn't say BENEFIT was their "best" LP, anymore thn I'd say it was STAND UP.  It's a subjective discussion and I'll go so far as to say STAND UP is the one I like the best.  All heir subsequent LPs up until STORMWATCH('79) have some good tracks on them.  My oldest daughter was intrigued by their song "Skating Away On The Thin Ice Of The New Day"  and would go arond the house singing " Skating away-KAY!"  :D

Sepiatone

I too, never really got into J GEILS that much beyongd the tunes I mentioned.  And SURE AS HELL couldn't stomache that FREEZE FRAME and CENTERFOLD swill!

I first heard of Jethro Tull  back in '68 when a buddy of mine( the drummer in the "basement band" I was in at the time) came home from a record shop somewhere and broke out THIS WAS( Tull's 1st LP) and UNDEAD( Ten Years After's 1st) and although in retrospect, Tull's music on that LP wasn't all that memorable, the idea of a flute in a rock band was still unique enough to keep us intrigued.

Luckily, a newspaper article about them a couple of years later about them yeilded some interesting info on them, and since then it's always amused me that many people still thought JETHRO TULL was the guy with the flute, and NOT the 18th century British agriculturalist the band got the name from( the real Tull was the man who invented the horse drawn hoe, and wrote a book on then modern agriculture that became the basis for farming methods still used today in some places)

I wouldn't say BENEFIT was their "best" LP, anymore thn I'd say it was STAND UP.  It's a subjective discussion and I'll go so far as to say STAND UP is the one I like the best.  All heir subsequent LPs up until STORMWATCH('79) have some good tracks on them.  My oldest daughter was intrigued by their song "Skating Away On The Thin Ice Of The New Day"  and would go arond the house singing " Skating away-KAY!"  :D

Sepiatone

Those two J. Geils songs are pure dreck.

Sepiatone

Just to clarify, I said that Benefit was one of their best albums, not the best.

I'd probably go with Aqualung as the best of the ones I have. And I think

it's usually understood that when people say the best, they mean the best

in their personal opinion. War Child was the last Tull album I bought. After

that, I sort of drifted away for no particular reason.

How about *********Placido Domingo, man?

That would work, but the form is to use the last name

only, so it would be ******* Domingo, man.

Those two J. Geils songs may have pure dreck or

alloyed dreck, but they were the two biggest singles

hits they had. Somebody must have liked them.

Those somebodies, thankfully, will never be part of my life.

• Like 1

This is the part of the movie where I step out bravely and I say I love those two J. Geils songs and Play That Funky Music White Boy by Wild Cherry - - those are three of my favorite car songs.

I didn't say that I would buy their music or pay to see them in a concert --I just said I love those songs free on the car radio.

My number one car song in town is Aerosmith's Walk This Way--

On the highway I've got 2-- Old Time Rock and Roll by Seger & Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin.

FYI-- The Talented Jimmy Page and the Sexually Intriguing Robert Plant are being brought to trial in June in LA over copyright infringement charges against them for the song Stairway to Heaven.

In unrelated news--

BTW--

I bought a number of operas starring Placido Domingo. He's a great artist and I wouldn't use his name in vain. He's an asset to the Repertoire of Verdi.

This is the part of the movie where I step out bravely and I say I love those two J. Geils songs and Play That Funky Music White Boy by Wild Cherry - - those are three of my favorite car songs.

I didn't say that I would buy their music or pay to see them in a concert --I just said I love those songs free on the car radio.

My number one car song in town is Aerosmith's Walk This Way--

On the highway I've got 2-- Old Time Rock and Roll by Seger & Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin.

FYI-- The Talented Jimmy Page and the Sexually Intriguing Robert Plant are being brought to trial in June in LA over copyright infringement charges against them for the song Stairway to Heaven.

In unrelated news--

BTW--

I bought a number of operas starring Placido Domingo. He's a great artist and I wouldn't use his name in vain. He's an asset to the Repertoire of Verdi.

Favorite "car" songs? Mine are Little GTO and Hot Rod Lincoln.

Favorite "car" songs? Mine are Little GTO and Hot Rod Lincoln.

I meant what I like to drive to and listen to in the car - - I would think that you like Bob Mitchum's Thunder Road.

If you just mean car car song so it has to be the Beach Boys Fun Fun Fun.

I didn't have a sister, but my brother used to pull all that stuff like on the record.

There's also tons of people who spent money on "Pet Rocks".  So.......

My favorite car songs are

LITTLE DUECE COUPE--Beach Boys

HOT ROD LINCOLN --Commander Cody

ROAD HOG--John D. Loudermilk (who wrote the oft covered TOBACCO ROAD and a few hundred other country and rock hits)

Sepiatone