Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I Saw A Deadhead Sticker on a Cadillac-- Don't Look Back

Princess of Tap

This is the part of the movie where I step out bravely and I say I love those two J. Geils songs and Play That Funky Music White Boy by Wild Cherry - - those are three of my favorite car songs.

I didn't say that I would buy their music or pay to see them in a concert --I just said I love those songs free on the car radio.

My number one car song in town is Aerosmith's Walk This Way--

On the highway I've got 2-- Old Time Rock and Roll by Seger & Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin.

FYI-- The Talented Jimmy Page and the Sexually Intriguing Robert Plant are being brought to trial in June in LA over copyright infringement charges against them for the song Stairway to Heaven.

Those two songs by J. Geils aren't that bad for radio songs.

Either one could fit very well on one of those Time-Life Music

of the 80s things. I saw the story about Page and Plant on the

TV. They may have to pay a stairway to heaven.

There's also tons of people who spent money on "Pet Rocks".  So.......

My favorite car songs are

LITTLE DUECE COUPE--Beach Boys

HOT ROD LINCOLN --Commander Cody

ROAD HOG--John D. Loudermilk (who wrote the oft covered TOBACCO ROAD and a few hundred other country and rock hits)

Sepiatone

I just state the facts, man. Those two singles did sell pretty well.

I'm In Love With My Car--Queen

Ol' 55--Eagles

Brucie must have at least one car song. Yep, Used Cars, Pink Cadillac

Radio songs? Songs are songs. I don't care where they are heard. IMO these songs are terrible, period.

Radio songs? Songs are songs. I don't care where they are heard. IMO these songs are terrible, period.

Fra--

Re: radio songs

You need to check out the Beach Boys last hit That's Why God Made the Radio with an album of the same name.

But maybe your cultural Dynamics in Philly doesn't really lend itself to people driving around in cars all day listening to music like it is in every other part of the United States.

The privacy of the car and the car radio is so different from being in the Metro or on the bus or with a taxi driver.

Fra--

Re: radio songs

You need to check out the Beach Boys last hit That's Why God Made the Radio with an album of the same name.

But maybe your cultural Dynamics in Philly doesn't really lend itself to people driving around in cars all day listening to music like it is in every other part of the United States.

The privacy of the car and the car radio is so different from being in the Metro or on the bus or with a taxi driver.

..especially if the taxi driver is reminiscent of Travis Bickle.

• Like 1

I think I mentioned that there's been a years long controversy over whether or not PAGE copped the opening guitar theme of Stairway from SPIRIT guitarist's instumental tune TAURUS. a band Led Zeppelin, before THEY released anything in the U.S. opened  for on one of Spirit's west coast tours.

I think I know what might be meant by "radio songs", but not sure.

In the '70's, there were still some seperation between what was considered "hard" and possibly what's been called "soft" rock.

Like the difference between AEROSMITH and say, TOTO, or THE LITTLE RIVER BAND.  It was unlikely to find either of those two bands on the same bill with Aerosmith.  Add POCO to that list as well.

Sepiatone

I think I mentioned that there's been a years long controversy over whether or not PAGE copped the opening guitar theme of Stairway from SPIRIT guitarist's instumental tune TAURUS. a band Led Zeppelin, before THEY released anything in the U.S. opened  for on one of Spirit's west coast tours.

In the '70's, there were still some seperation between what was considered "hard" and possibly what's been called "soft" rock.

Like the difference between AEROSMITH and say, TOTO, or THE LITTLE RIVER BAND.  It was unlikely to find either of those two bands on the same bill with Aerosmith.  Add POCO to that list as well.

Sepiatone

The thing with songs on the car radio--if you didn't like the first few bars, you hit the change station button, and it was gone.

• Like 1

Radio songs? Songs are songs. I don't care where they are heard. IMO these songs are terrible, period.

Songs you hear on the radio and don't have to invest much

interest in. I give them a bit of a pass. The J. Geils tunes are

radio songs, Burning Airlines Give You So Much More isn't.

And as radio songs, they're okay. I listen to CDs in my car,

not the radio.

Sepiatone

The acoustic opening sounds very similar, not sure about the

rest of the song. I'm no expert, but I think Zep will lose this one.

Yep, I think just about everyone who had an interest in music

recognized the difference between hard and soft rock back in

the day. With a name like The Little River Band, you could kind

of figure they didn't rock very hard.

Well ya know... when you're high and you've got a really nice acoustic guitar in your hands and a musical phrase spinning 'round inside your head, your creative processes take over. The intro phrase on TAURUS would've been a great tease to get me strumming. Burn a doobie and spend the whole night jamming on that one.

Every day I hear at least one song which has a line or a hook that sticks in my mind, and it'll replay over and over in my head until I create a new song from that little piece. 

We previously compared the Jefferson Airplane and Starship. One of many reasons why I prefer the Airplane is the great vocal interplay between Slick and Balin. Slick was apparently with the Starship, but she is definitely in the background. Balin is the definite first lead. In their best song, "With Your Love", you can barely hear Slick.

We previously compared the Jefferson Airplane and Starship. One of many reasons why I prefer the Airplane is the great vocal interplay between Slick and Balin. Slick was apparently with the Starship, but she is definitely in the background. Balin is the definite first lead. In their best song, "With Your Love", you can barely hear Slick.

Fra-- you know there's no real comparison between these two groups because they're like apples and oranges-- even though they may have had some similar Personnel at times.

You said in the other thread that The Stones were your favorite group. I thought Jefferson Airplane was your favorite group.

Anyway, you're high on Jefferson Airplane - -

And I'm high on Jefferson Starship - -

So you can never compare the two because we don't even have similar taste.

I go for the melodic and the Beautiful-- which is usually more commercial.

Fra-- you know there's no real comparison between these two groups because they're like apples and oranges-- if not they may have some similar personality times.

He said in the other thread that the stones were your favorite group I thought Jefferson Airplane was your favorite group.

Anyway, you're high on Jefferson Airplane - -

And I'm high on Jefferson Starship - -

So you can never compare the two because we don't even have similar taste.

I go for the melodic and the Beautiful-- which is usually more commercial.

Right now, the Stones are first with me, and the Airplane is second. The main reason is the Stones' vastly larger catalog.

Someone recently mentioned Led Zeppelin here. My Top 2 favorites:

Over the Hills and Far Away: for the mix of acoustic and electric guitars, the smooth and the hard singing, and I love those long, dreamy chords at the very end of the song.

Tangerine: I have strong personal memories connected to this, but generally it's a quiet, deep tune that puts me in a reflective mood.

• Like 1

The acoustic opening sounds very similar, not sure about the

rest of the song. I'm no expert, but I think Zep will lose this one.

Yep, I think just about everyone who had an interest in music

recognized the difference between hard and soft rock back in

the day. With a name like The Little River Band, you could kind

of figure they didn't rock very hard.

OK, didn't mean to offer a challenge here, but if you listen closely to what the guitarist plays on JONI MITCHELL'S song "All I Want" from the "BLUE" LP, and /or the guitar run JOHNNY RIVERS sings over on "Summer Rain"  you'll hear a similarity to what's played on TAURUS and "Stairway".  It's a pretty common and oft used folk music decorative device too.

Zepplin favorites of mine(and bear in mind, the list is WAY pared down!):

YOUR TIME IS GONNA COME

BLACK DOG

WHAT IS AND WHAT SHOULD NEVER BE

WHEN THE LEVEE BREAKS

ROCK AND ROLL

IN THE LIGHT

CUSTARD PIE

BOOGIE WITH STU

Bear in mind that the preceding list are only SOME of the Zeppelin tunes that I like only SLIGHTLY more than ALL the tunes I like!

Sepiatone

OK, didn't mean to offer a challenge here, but if you listen closely to what the guitarist plays on JONI MITCHELL'S song "All I Want" from the "BLUE" LP, and /or the guitar run JOHNNY RIVERS sings over on "Summer Rain"  you'll hear a similarity to what's played on TAURUS and "Stairway".  It's a pretty common and oft used folk music decorative device too.

I don't know much about the detailed technical aspects of music,

but to my amateur ear they do sound alike. OTOH somebody on

TV remarked that everybody "borrows" some little bit of music on

occasion. I really don't have a black dog in this fight, so I will go

with the flow. I will go back and listen to All I Want and see if I

can catch a similarity. I'll wait until we get to Led Zep's induction

year to list my favorites. I do like Tangerine. It starts out very soft

and acoustic and then Jimmy goes into one of his electric guitar

raves and then comes back for a quiet ending.

• Like 1

I don't know much about the detailed technical aspects of music,

but to my amateur ear they do sound alike. OTOH somebody on

TV remarked that everybody "borrows" some little bit of music on

occasion. I really don't have a black dog in this fight, so I will go

with the flow. I will go back and listen to All I Want and see if I

can catch a similarity. I'll wait until we get to Led Zep's induction

year to list my favorites. I do like Tangerine. It starts out very soft

and acoustic and then Jimmy goes into one of his electric guitar

raves and then comes back for a quiet ending.

Premier songwriter SAMMY CAHN said, in defense of George Harrison when he was going through all that HE'S SO FINE/MY SWEET LORD plagiarism trouble that he never knew a songwriter who DIDN'T steal borrow or at least cull something from another's work.  And that sometimes, it's unintentional.

I'll take his word on that.

Premier songwriter SAMMY CAHN said, in defense of George Harrison when he was going through all that HE'S SO FINE/MY SWEET LORD plagiarism trouble that he never knew a songwriter who DIDN'T steal borrow or at least cull something from another's work.  And that sometimes, it's unintentional.

I certainly can see that happening, with so much music out

there. Of course that didn't help George Harrison in his case.

There seems to have been very little if any discussion of AEROSMITH in this thread.  And they get a lot of "classic rock" airplay.

Some of my favorites:

LONG TRAIN RUNNIN'

MAMA KIN

SWEET EMOTION

WALK THIS WAY

ADAM'S APPLE

UNCLE SALTY

NO MORE NO MORE

BACK IN THE SADDLE

LOVE IN AN ELEVATOR

Notice the absence of "Dream On".  Just never got into that one.

Sepiatone

Here's some backstory on some of the songs from: Toys in the Attic - Aerosmith 1975

If you scroll down to: Section 2. Recording and Composition

You should be able to see how the borrowing of licks and phrases comes about. Even though a writer may take a piece of someone else's song and create a new song, the original borrowed piece may or may not remain intact within the finished product.

Many times I have heard something in a song which kicked-off a new song in my head then, later, my new song will have morphed into something else altogether, without the borrowed piece.

Reworded

Here's some backstory on the song: Toys in the Attic - Aerosmith 1975

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toys_in_the_Attic_(album)

If you scroll down to: Section 2. Recording and Composition

You should be able to see how the borrowing of licks and phrases comes about. Even though a writer may take a piece of someone else's song and create a new song, the original borrowed piece may or may not remain intact within the finished product.

Many times I have heard something in a song which kicked-off a new song in my head then, later, my new song will have morphed into something else altogether, without the borrowed piece.

I can't quite hear it in the notes but the tempo is similar--Brian Wilson claims that he wrote his first song, Surfer Girl, off of Walt Disney's When You Wish Upon a Star, after an arrangement by Dion & The Belmonts.

There seems to have been very little if any discussion of AEROSMITH in this thread.  And they get a lot of "classic rock" airplay.

Some of my favorites:

LONG TRAIN RUNNIN'

MAMA KIN

SWEET EMOTION

WALK THIS WAY

ADAM'S APPLE

UNCLE SALTY

NO MORE NO MORE

BACK IN THE SADDLE

LOVE IN AN ELEVATOR

Notice the absence of "Dream On".  Just never got into that one.

Sepiatone

Is "Long Train Running" the same as the Doobie Brothers song?

Cahn was a lyricist. What does he know from stealing melodies?