Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I Saw A Deadhead Sticker on a Cadillac-- Don't Look Back

Princess of Tap

I can't quite hear it in the notes but the tempo is similar--Brian Wilson claims that he wrote his first song, Surfer Girl, off of Walt Disney's When You Wish Upon a Star, after an arrangement by Dion & The Belmonts.

Yes, similar tempo and phrasing - I can hear it in their intros, then they separate.

• Like 1

Yes, similar tempo and phrasing - I can hear it in their intros, then they separate.

And ironically those two songs have something that is not quantitative - - they give you such a Feeling of ethereal warmth that it's hard to describe.

I think he was going more for that spiritual feeling than the structure of the song with Surfer Girl. How Brian actually captured that feeling, we'll never know--that is what makes him a genius and not just the run-of-the-mill school-educated musician.

• Like 1

"Train Kept A-Rollin'" ?

OUCH! :o

That's what I get for relying too much on my jenky memory.  however...

Keep in mind if and when the discussion turns to THE DOOBIE BROTHERS , I've got one covered!  ;) 

Sepiatone

OUCH! :o

That's what I get for relying too much on my jenky memory.  however...

Keep in mind if and when the discussion turns to THE DOOBIE BROTHERS , I've got one covered!  ;) 

Sepiatone

The Doobie Brothers did "Rockin' Down the Highway"

BTO did "Rollin Down the Highway".

The Doobie Brothers: I grew up listening to "Jesus is Just Alright", but then a couple of years ago I heard The Byrds' version of the same song for the first time (this one came first). I like the Byrds' take better, I like their harmonies, and they just rock through it from beginning to end. The Doobies change course and slow it up too much...

• Like 1

The Doobie Brothers: I grew up listening to "Jesus is Just Alright", but then a couple of years ago I heard The Byrds' version of the same song for the first time (this one came first). I like the Byrds' take better, I like their harmonies, and they just rock through it from beginning to end. The Doobies change course and slow it up too much...

..but the Doobies, with Tom Johnston on lead, did a lot of great stuff---China Grove, Long Train Running, Another Park Another Sunday, etc.

For me the Doobie's tunes are---

LISTEN TO THE MUSIC

ROCKIN' DOWN THE HIGHWAY

and NOW's the time for---

LONG TRAIN RUNNIN'

CLEAR AS THE DRIVEN SNOW

SOUTH CITY MIDNIGHT LADY

THE CAPTAIN AND ME( the whole LP actually, but just a few to save space, and this title song is OK)

BLACK WATER

DOWN IN THE TRACK

ANOTHER PARK, ANOTHER SUNDAY

but absoluely NOTHING in the MICHAEL MacDONALD years.  That guy always (to me) sounded as if he was trying to yawn and sing at the same time.  AND always caused ME to yawn while hearing it.

Sepiatone

For me the Doobie's tunes are---

LISTEN TO THE MUSIC

ROCKIN' DOWN THE HIGHWAY

and NOW's the time for---

LONG TRAIN RUNNIN'

CLEAR AS THE DRIVEN SNOW

SOUTH CITY MIDNIGHT LADY

THE CAPTAIN AND ME( the whole LP actually, but just a few to save space, and this title song is OK)

BLACK WATER

DOWN IN THE TRACK

ANOTHER PARK, ANOTHER SUNDAY

but absoluely NOTHING in the MICHAEL MacDONALD years. That guy always (to me) sounded as if he was trying to yawn and sing at the same time. AND always caused ME to yawn while hearing it.

Sepiatone

Re: Michael McDonald-- with the Doobies and solo, he was always a favourite with the ladies--especially and definitely with this lady.

What a Fool Believes

Ride Like the Wind

This is it

I keep forgetting

My 2 favorite DOOBIE BROTHERS songs are from the 'Michael McDonald Era':  WHAT A FOOL BELIEVES -and- IT KEEPS YOU RUNNIN'. 

I do like some of the earlier songs, but the two above are ♠ aces ♠ for my ears.

Are there any Yes fans here?  They had some good tunes:

"I've Seen All Good People"

"Roundabout"

"Cans and Brahms"

"We Have Heaven"

I'm not a fan of their later work, though, like "Owner of a Lonely Heart".  Too "formula".

• Like 2

"Roundabout"

"Cans and Brahms"

"We Have Heaven"

I'm not a fan of their later work, though, like "Owner of a Lonely Heart".  Too "formula".

I would add "Starship Trooper" to your list.

• Like 1

"Roundabout"

"Cans and Brahms"

"We Have Heaven"

I'm a big fan of their earlier works, especially Fragile and (my personal favorite) Close to the Edge. I even reproduced some of the artwork from Close's albumn cover using watercolors. I gave all my paintings away to friends.

ZObKgRy.jpg

Tales from Topographic Oceans was a big disappointment for me. This 2 LP set had not one single piece of music on it that I could enjoy. I did listen to it at least a dozen times, thinking I may have missed something - but no. That turned me off to YES and when I heard Wakeman had left some years later, I never went back.

I did go to an amphitheater in Columbia, Md. (1980 ?) to see Steve Howe in his next band Asia. I didn't like Asia, but Steve did a 30 + minute non-stop solo performance on acoustic guitar that was incredible.

• Like 3

I'm a big fan of their earlier works, especially Fragile and (my personal favorite) Close to the Edge. I even reproduced some of the artwork from Close's albumn cover using watercolors. I gave all my paintings away to friends.

ZObKgRy.jpg

Tales from Topographic Oceans was a big disappointment for me. This 2 LP set had not one single piece of music on it that I could enjoy. I did listen to it at least a dozen times, thinking I may have missed something - but no. That turned me off to YES and when I heard Wakeman had left some years later, I never went back.

I did go to an amphitheater in Columbia, Md. (1980 ?) to see Steve Howe in his next band Asia. I didn't like Asia, but Steve did a 30 + minute non-stop solo performance on acoustic guitar that was incredible.

Wow, Kid, that's gorgeous!! Great story about the acoustic set. Yes, love Fragile. :)
  • Like 1

ZObKgRy.jpg

Yes to Yes. Along with the Moody Blues, the best Prog rock.

Are there any Yes fans here? They had some good tunes:

"Roundabout"

"Cans and Brahms"

"We Have Heaven"

I'm not a fan of their later work, though, like "Owner of a Lonely Heart". Too "formula".

But I just loved that snake in the Owner of a Lonely Heart video.

YES has long been a favorite of mine.

Among others I like( as far as songs go) are:

STARSHIP TROOPER

YOURS IS NO DISGRACE

THE CLAP

LONG DISTANCE RUNAROUND

HEART OF THE SUNRISE

AND YOU AND I

SIBERIAN KHATRU

I'm not familiar enough with some of the stuff on later LPs to offer anything...but of their later work

WONDEROUS STORIES

RHYTHM OF LOVE

SHOOT HIGH AIM LOW

I had their RELAYER LP long ago and it wandered off before I could get too familiar with it.

Their TALES OF TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS was perhaps their biggest misfire IMO.

Sepiatone