Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I Saw A Deadhead Sticker on a Cadillac-- Don't Look Back

Princess of Tap

I liked the first album by Smashing Pumpkins, but each successive album less. The Breeders were good (I saw them live opening for Nirvana). I had that one Mazzy Star album. I don't know how many they released. I have a couple of Kraftwerk and X songs on my mp3 player. ABBA has some good workout tunes.

I forgot The Pixies, The Dead Milkmen, INXS, ELP, Siouxsie and the Banshees and They Might Be Giants. I liked all of them, as well. Probably more, when they come to me.

I like most of the SP albums. I guess some people regard Mellon Collie

as a bit too much, but I like it quite a lot. I think Mazzy Star released

three albums in the 1990s at three year intervals. Then they went

on one of those group hiatuses for a long time, not releasing another

album until a few years ago. It was okay, but not as good as the first

three. I slipped up on the Pixies too and forgot to list them.

Some more good bands.

Roxy Music

The White Stripes

Parliament

Metallica

Sublime

Traffic

Meat Puppets

Sonic Yute

Funkadelic

Ten Years After

The Supremes

The Allman Brothers Band

Jethro Tull

yep, ******* Tull man. I was a Tull fan in the

late 60s and early 70s. Sort of lost interest

after War Child.

Solo

Richard Thompson

Brian Eno

Eno put out a series of great albums in the 1970s,

even better than Bowie during that period. So sue

me. :)

• Like 2

Some more good bands.

Traffic

Sonic Yute

Funkadelic

Jethro Tull

yep, ******* Tull man. I was a Tull fan in the

late 60s and early 70s. Sort of lost interest

after War Child.

Solo

Brian Eno

Eno put out a series of great albums in the 1970s,

even better than Bowie during that period. So sue

me. :)

I want to hear more Eno. I grabbed one song for my mp3 player, but I don't know most of his stuff, just all of the great music he's helped write and produce over the years.

I liked Aqualung quite a bit back in the day, particularly "Locomotive Breath". I also have several Sonic Yute albums, and enjoy some Traffic.

Wow. So many different lists going on. I'll try to catch up or keep up or just contribute. Whatever.

FAVORITE BRITISH INVASION BANDS:

1) The Beatles

2) The Rolling Stones

3) The Hollies

4) The Zombies

5) The Kinks

6) The Animals

7) Dusty Springfield

8) The Yardbirds

9) The Moody Blues

10) Tom Jones

FAVORITE 'DOORS' SONGS

(They're my #1 favorite band of all time. One of the all-time best L.A. Bands)

1) L.A. Woman

2) Roadhouse Blues

3) Backdoor Man

4) Moonlight Drive

5) The Soft Parade

6) When You're Strange

7) Riders on the Storm

8) Five to One

9) Love Street

10) The Doors' cover of "Gloria."

FAVORITE BANDS/ARTISTS EVER

1) The Doors

2) The Beatles

3) The Rolling Stones

4) The Foo Fighters

5) Nirvana

6) David Bowie

7) Stone Temple Pilots

8) The Mamas and The Papas

9) Patsy Cline

10) Frank Sinatra

• Like 2

10 Favorite Rock/Pop Composers

My criteria is not just that they wrote many Good songs - - but they had to write songs for various artists, they had to do Top 40 on a competitive basis, they had to be responsible for the output of at least one Top 40 group and I could say their music has to still be recorded by artists today, the original records still have to be selling on Amazon and their music is in the culture i.e. on the radio and TV, in the movies or on Broadway and/or in adverts.

1) Chuck Berry

2) John Lennon and Paul McCartney

3) Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller( Elvis, The Drifters, The Coasters,Ben E King)

4) Brian Wilson

5) Smokey Robinson

6) The Bee Gees

7) Keith Richards and Mick Jagger

8) Phil Spector, Goffin and King & Mann & Weil.( the Righteous Brothers, The Ronettes, The Crystals, The Animals,Bobby Vee, The Shirells)

8) Holland Dozier and Holland( The Supremes, Martha and the Vandellas, Marvin Gaye, The Temptations, The Four Tops) Tie

9) Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio( The Four Seasons)

10) Elton John

(Note for Fra--Burt Bacharach and Hal David will be in my American Pop Music Standards list, if I ever have one, along with George Gershwin and Duke Ellington.)

• Like 1

FAVORITE BANDS/ARTISTS EVER

1) The Doors

2) The Beatles

3) The Rolling Stones

4) The Foo Fighters

5) Nirvana

6) David Bowie

7) Stone Temple Pilots

8) The Mamas and The Papas

9) Patsy Cline

10) Frank Sinatra

I had forgotten about STP. I saw them live back in '93 as part of a music festival in Orlando. They were still promoting their first album, and they were very good. Their next record was a hit, but their subsequent albums seemed to crash and burn, amid Scott Weiland's drug issues. They were often dismissed at the time as being overly derivative of other bands, but I didn't think so. While they weren't one of my favorites, I did like that first album, and they were terrific live.

• Like 1

My current ranking of rock bands:

1--Stones

2--Doors

3-Jefferson Airplane

4--The Who

5--U2

6--Cream

7--Steely Dan

8--Grateful Dead

9--Police

10--Beatles

11-Beach Boys

12--Kinks

13--Pink Floyd

14--Moody Blues

15--Santana

16--CCR

17--Fleetwood Mac

18--Squeeze

19--Doobie Brothers

20-- CS& N (&Y)

• Like 2

10 Favorite Rock/Pop Composers

My criteria is not just that they wrote many Good songs - - but they had to write songs for various artists, they had to do Top 40 on a competitive basis, they had to be responsible for the output of at least one Top 40 group and I could say their music has to still be recorded by artists today, the original records still have to be selling on Amazon and their music is in the culture i.e. on the radio and TV, in the movies or on Broadway and/or in adverts.

1) Chuck Berry

2) John Lennon and Paul McCartney

3) Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller( Elvis, The Drifters, The Coasters,Ben E King)

4) Brian Wilson

5) Smokey Robinson

6) The Bee Gees

7) Keith Richards and Mick Jagger

8) Phil Spector, Goffin and King & Mann & Weil.( the Righteous Brothers, The Ronettes, The Crystals, The Animals,Bobby Vee, The Shirells)

8) Holland Dozier and Holland( The Supremes, Martha and the Vandellas, Marvin Gaye, The Temptations, The Four Tops) Tie

9) Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio( The Four Seasons)

10) Elton John

(Note for Fra--Burt Bacharach and Hal David will be in my American Pop Music Standards list, if I ever have one, along with George Gershwin and Duke Ellington.)

Seems odd you left BOB DYLAN off that list.

Sure, he was a folksinger to begin with( fame-wise, that is) but many of his folk(originally) tunes, given "pop" or "rock" re-arrangements have not only become big rock "hits", but helped make those who recorded them the big "stars" they became back then.  Like:

"All I Really Want To Do"--Cher

"It Ain't Me Babe"--The Turtles

"Mr. Tambourine Man"--The Byrds

So...are we mentioning only those we as individuals LIKED during certain periods, or merely just "dropping names" with no actual familiarity with any of the artists or their music?

for instance,...

Back about the early 1960's some and/or a few of my favorites heard on what were considerd rock'n'roll stations(for AM, anyway) were---

RICKY NELSON--"Traveling Man", "Poor Little Fool"

BOBBY DARIN--"Splish Splash", "Mack The Knife",  "Beyond The SEA"

DUANE EDDY--"Reble Rouser"

SANDY NELSON--"Teen Beat", "Drumming Up A Storm", "Let There Be Drums"  etc.

THE EVERLY BROTHERS--"Bye Bye Love", "Wake Up Little Susie", "Cathy's Clown"

GARY "US" BONDS-"New Orleans", "Quarter To Three"

BRIAN HYLAND--"Itsy Bitsy, Teeny, Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini" I actually liked the "B" side better.  A song called "Don't Dilly Dally, Sallly"

JOHN D LOUDERMILK--"Language Of Love", "Road Hog", "Tobacco Road"

THE BEACH BOYS--"Surfin' U.S.A.",  "Surfin' Safari" then you get into the MID 1960's, and you can assume much of what they did THEN as well...

Still early '60's:

THE FOUR SEASONS--"Sherry",  "Connie-O",  "Dawn"

ROY ORBISON--just NAME it!

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

BENT FABRIC--"Alley Cat"

ACE CANNON--"Tuff"

RAY STEVENS--"Ahab The A-Rab",  "Jeremiah Peabody's (etc., etc.)"

LONNIE DONNEGAN--"Does Your Chewing Gum Lose It's Flavor(on the bedpost overnight)"

Moving along in time to the aforementioned mid '60's.

ROLF HARRIS--"Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Mate",  "Court of King Caractacus"

THE CHANTELS--"Pipeline"

PAUL REVERE AND THE RAIDERS--"Kicks"

NOW come THE BEATLES

THE ROLLING STONES

THE ANIMALS

THE WHO

Not too big on ALL the British invaders.  of ANY of the HERMAN'S HERMITS songs there were, I oddly only really cared for "Henry The Eigth"!

THEN we start moving into "Psychedelia" with

COUNT FIVE--"Psycotic Reaction"

THE BLUES MAGOOS--"Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet", "Take My Love and Shove It Up Your Heart"

and a local boy--

BOB SEGER and The Last HERD/SYSTEM--"East Side Story", "Persecution Smith", "Ramblin' Gamblin' Man",  "Lucifer", "Heavy Music"

Then came, in the later '60's

JEFFERSON AIRPLANE

THE DOORS

CRIPES!  I started all this without even considering there's WAY too many artists I've liked over all those years to bring up here in short order, or without taking ALL AFTERNOON to type out in order to post.!!

I'll have to possibly fill in some blanks as the days go by....

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Sure, he was a folksinger to begin with( fame-wise, that is) but many of his folk(originally) tunes, given "pop" or "rock" re-arrangements have not only become big rock "hits", but helped make those who recorded them the big "stars" they became back then.  Like:

So...are we mentioning only those we as individuals LIKED during certain periods, or merely just "dropping names" with no actual familiarity with any of the artists or their music?

for instance,...

Back about the early 1960's some and/or a few of my favorites heard on what were considerd rock'n'roll stations(for AM, anyway) were---

BOBBY DARIN--"Splish Splash", "Mack The Knife",  "Beyond The SEA"

SANDY NELSON--"Teen Beat", "Drumming Up A Storm", "Let There Be Drums"  etc.

BRIAN HYLAND--"Itsy Bitsy, Teeny, Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini" I actually liked the "B" side better.  A song called "Don't Dilly Dally, Sallly"

THE BEACH BOYS--"Surfin' U.S.A.",  "Surfin' Safari" then you get into the MID 1960's, and you can assume much of what they did THEN as well...

Still early '60's:

THE FOUR SEASONS--"Sherry",  "Connie-O",  "Dawn"

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

BENT FABRIC--"Alley Cat"

ACE CANNON--"Tuff"

RAY STEVENS--"Ahab The A-Rab",  "Jeremiah Peabody's (etc., etc.)"

LONNIE DONNEGAN--"Does Your Chewing Gum Lose It's Flavor(on the bedpost overnight)"

ROLF HARRIS--"Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Mate",  "Court of King Caractacus"

THE CHANTELS--"Pipeline"

NOW come THE BEATLES

THE ROLLING STONES

THE ANIMALS

THE WHO

Not too big on ALL the British invaders.  of ANY of the HERMAN'S HERMITS songs there were, I oddly only really cared for "Henry The Eigth"!

THE BLUES MAGOOS--"Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet", "Take My Love and Shove It Up Your Heart"

and a local boy--

BOB SEGER and The Last HERD/SYSTEM--"East Side Story", "Persecution Smith", "Ramblin' Gamblin' Man",  "Lucifer", "Heavy Music"

JEFFERSON AIRPLANE

THE DOORS

CRIPES!  I started all this without even considering there's WAY too many artists I've liked over all those years to bring up here in short order, or without taking ALL AFTERNOON to type out in order to post.!!

Sepiatone

My top 20 is bands only. If I had to rock individuals, David Bowie, Chuck Berry Little Richard, and Fats Domino would be near the top, as well as Dylan and Billy Joel. I've never been a big Bruce fan, except for his early stuff. Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder are great, but my soul list would be a separate list.

• Like 2

My top 20 is bands only. If I had to rock individuals, David Bowie, Chuck Berry Little Richard, and Fats Domino would be near the top, as well as Dylan and Billy Joel. I've never been a big Bruce fan, except for his early stuff. Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder are great, but my soul list would be a separate list.

I also kept the soul singers and vocal groups out of my lists. I'll probably list them separately later.

On your other list, DGF, I've tried a few times to get into Steely Dan but I just couldn't. I know they're highly regarded.

I want to hear more Eno. I grabbed one song for my mp3 player, but I don't know most of his stuff, just all of the great music he's helped write and produce over the years.

I liked Aqualung quite a bit back in the day, particularly "Locomotive Breath". I also have several Sonic Yute albums, and enjoy some Traffic.

I like his rock albums from the 1970s, which are melodic with

some good hooks and an extra Eno twist that elevates them

above just pop music (though his albums never sold very

well). He also did lots of instrumental, somewhat avant-garde

type music. I just have a couple of those and I'm less familiar

as to what he's been up to lately. But those 1970s' records

really stand out for me.

I even liked those two sided concept albums Thick as a Brick

and Passion Play. At least I did back then. Not sure if I'd

like them now.

Sure, he was a folksinger to begin with( fame-wise, that is) but many of his folk(originally) tunes, given "pop" or "rock" re-arrangements have not only become big rock "hits", but helped make those who recorded them the big "stars" they became back then. Like:

for instance,...

BOBBY DARIN--"Splish Splash", "Mack The Knife", "Beyond The SEA"

SANDY NELSON--"Teen Beat", "Drumming Up A Storm", "Let There Be Drums" etc.

BRIAN HYLAND--"Itsy Bitsy, Teeny, Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini" I actually liked the "B" side better. A song called "Don't Dilly Dally, Sallly"

THE BEACH BOYS--"Surfin' U.S.A.", "Surfin' Safari" then you get into the MID 1960's, and you can assume much of what they did THEN as well...

Still early '60's:

THE FOUR SEASONS--"Sherry", "Connie-O", "Dawn"

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

BENT FABRIC--"Alley Cat"

ACE CANNON--"Tuff"

RAY STEVENS--"Ahab The A-Rab", "Jeremiah Peabody's (etc., etc.)"

ROLF HARRIS--"Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Mate", "Court of King Caractacus"

THE CHANTELS--"Pipeline"

NOW come THE BEATLES

THE ROLLING STONES

THE ANIMALS

THE WHO

Not too big on ALL the British invaders. of ANY of the HERMAN'S HERMITS songs there were, I oddly only really cared for "Henry The Eigth"!

and a local boy--

BOB SEGER and The Last HERD/SYSTEM--"East Side Story", "Persecution Smith", "Ramblin' Gamblin' Man", "Lucifer", "Heavy Music"

JEFFERSON AIRPLANE

THE DOORS

CRIPES! I started all this without even considering there's WAY too many artists I've liked over all those years to bring up here in short order, or without taking ALL AFTERNOON to type out in order to post.!!

Sepiatone

It looks like we had the same radio station. LOL

I started off with Bobby Darin's Mack the Knife. That's my favorite radio song, I think it's the best 45 on every level there ever was.

And I ended up with the ballad of Yoko and John-- "the way things are going they're going to crucify me".

In those days I bought a lot of one-off songs.

Stuff like the Standells--Dirty Water, the Shadows of Night-- Gloria, The Outsiders--Time won't Let Me.

But I don't know who has reminded me of the Blues Magoos-- We Ain't Got Nothing Yet in years. You're very astute with the rock scene of AM TOP 40.

PS --I was very big into folk-rock - - with the Byrds--8 Miles High. I saw Peter Paul and Mary twice and they sang Blowin' in the Wind each time.

Sepia--PPS-- those references to Bobby Darin, Ricky Nelson, Duane Eddy and the Everly Brothers are in the late 1950s--to the early 60s. ( at this point, I think we're talking about more than a half of a century LOL.)

I sort of rushed a short list of male solo

performers, so I'll add a few more.

Bob Marley

Cat Stevens

Hank Williams

Bruce Springsteen

Fatboy Slim

John Prine

Morrissey

Warren Zevon

Jackson Browne

Richard Thompson

Brian Eno

when is somebody gonna mention that group who were the instrumental equivalent of The Beatles?...

THE VENTURES

:)

Nip--

I think even the Ventures wouldn't say they were on the same level as the Beatles. But they were awfully popular.

My Dad just loved that theme song they did for the TV show starring Jack Lord, Hawaii Five-O-- that was his last favorite show.

Nip, did you like Hawaii Five-O?

Myself, I was more of Duane Eddy girl. I liked his version of Peter Gunn.

I also kept the soul singers and vocal groups out of my lists. I'll probably list them separately later.

On your other list, DGF, I've tried a few times to get into Steely Dan but I just couldn't. I know they're highly regarded.

On my soul groups list, Earth Wind, and Fire, the Isley Brothers, the Temptations, Four Tops, and Miracles would be the top 5........I think the Jefferson Airplane deserves a special place in rock history because they were the only act to appear at the three most significant rock concerts ever, Monterey Pop, Woodstock, and Altamont....Speaking of the Airplane, the name "Pooneil" appears in the titles of at least two of their songs. What is that?

It looks like we had the same radio station. LOL

I started off with Bobby Darin's Mack the Knife. That's my favorite radio song, I think it's the best 45 on every level there ever was.

And I ended up with the ballad of Yoko and John-- "the way things are going they're going to crucify me".

In those days I bought a lot of one-off songs.

Stuff like the Standells--Dirty Water, the Shadows of Night-- Gloria, The Outsiders--Time won't Let Me.

But I don't know who has reminded me of the Blues Magoos-- We Ain't Got Nothing Yet in years. You're very astute with the rock scene of AM TOP 40.

PS --I was very big into folk-rock - - with the Byrds--8 Miles High. I saw Peter Paul and Mary twice and they sang Blowin' in the Wind each time.

Sepia--PPS-- those references to Bobby Darin, Ricky Nelson, Duane Eddy and the Everly Brothers are in the late 1950s--to the early 60s. ( at this point, I think we're talking about more than a half of a century LOL.)

We sure are.  And as I was an avid radio listener, and at one point would buy a new 45 about every other week, listing all I liked over that many years would be an arduous  task.

So much so that in my OP, I left out DEL SHANNON

DICKIE LEE

SHEB WOOLEY

BILL JUSTICE

Also, bear in mind that many in my generation went hrough a period where admitting to liking certain songs from "back when" was an act of shame, some might have slipped through the cracks in the memory bank.

I'll  "  'fess up"

I did like PAT BOONE'S "SPEEDY GONZALES"

LAWRENCE WELK'S "CALCUTTA"

Also remember that from even the earliest part of the 1960's the music scene changed so often and rapidly that keeping certain parts of it seperate is difficult.  Like no sooner did "Psychadelia" spring up, then along came the "counterculture" music( sometimes called "Acid Rock" along with a host of other names) like Hendrix, The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, The Grateful Dead, and some of those other odd named late '60's west coast bands---like

MOBY GRAPE

ULTIMATE SPINACHE

VANILLA FUDGE

THE GREAT PEANUT BUTTER CONSPIRACY

THE QUICKSILVER MESSENGER SERVICE

THE FUGS

Of course, IMHO, one of the best from the west, who actually recorded their first LP in 1965, was:

THE MOTHERS OF INVENTION, whom me and my circle of friends discovered quite by accident in the fall of '67, and bought FREAK OUT due to the odd looking FRANK ZAPPA picture on the cover. which is....

Also the similar reason I bought the debut LP of the OTHER (IMO) best of the west band SPIRIT.  I dug that photo treatment of the cover.  Turned out to be one of the best investments of my musical life.  To this day, it's STILL high atop the list of my favorite LPs EVER!

Sepiatone

Nip--

I think even the Ventures wouldn't say they were on the same level as the Beatles. But they were awfully popular.

My Dad just loved that theme song they did for the TV show starring Jack Lord, Hawaii Five-O-- that was his last favorite show.

Nip, did you like Hawaii Five-O?

Myself, I was more of Duane Eddy girl. I liked his version of Peter Gunn.

if only america had a cop like jack lord's steve mcgarrett today. :)

We sure are.  And as I was an avid radio listener, and at one point would buy a new 45 about every other week, listing all I liked over that many years would be an arduous  task.

So much so that in my OP, I left out DEL SHANNON

DICKIE LEE

SHEB WOOLEY

BILL JUSTICE

Also, bear in mind that many in my generation went hrough a period where admitting to liking certain songs from "back when" was an act of shame, some might have slipped through the cracks in the memory bank.

I'll  "  'fess up"

I did like PAT BOONE'S "SPEEDY GONZALES"

LAWRENCE WELK'S "CALCUTTA"

Also remember that from even the earliest part of the 1960's the music scene changed so often and rapidly that keeping certain parts of it seperate is difficult.  Like no sooner did "Psychadelia" spring up, then along came the "counterculture" music( sometimes called "Acid Rock" along with a host of other names) like Hendrix, The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, The Grateful Dead, and some of those other odd named late '60's west coast bands---like

MOBY GRAPE

ULTIMATE SPINACHE

VANILLA FUDGE

THE GREAT PEANUT BUTTER CONSPIRACY

THE QUICKSILVER MESSENGER SERVICE

THE FUGS

Of course, IMHO, one of the best from the west, who actually recorded their first LP in 1965, was:

THE MOTHERS OF INVENTION, whom me and my circle of friends discovered quite by accident in the fall of '67, and bought FREAK OUT due to the odd looking FRANK ZAPPA picture on the cover. which is....

Also the similar reason I bought the debut LP of the OTHER (IMO) best of the west band SPIRIT.  I dug that photo treatment of the cover.  Turned out to be one of the best investments of my musical life.  To this day, it's STILL high atop the list of my favorite LPs EVER!

Sepiatone

I believe it was just "The Peanut Butter Conspiracy":.

Pooneil is vulgar slang. It's Saturday night, let's go

out and get us some pooneil. Actually it's a made

up word combining poo and neil. The full explanation

is on the net.

I am shocked........I am amazed that "Watch Her Ride" wasn't a bigger single hit for the Airplane than "Somebody to Love". It's got hooks up the kazoo, and the vocal interplay between Balin and Slick was never better.

I am shocked........I am amazed that "Watch Her Ride" wasn't a bigger single hit for the Airplane than "Somebody to Love". It's got hooks up the kazoo, and the vocal interplay between Balin and Slick was never better.

Maybe the suits at RCA made the decision what

to release as a single. They made the right decision,

at least sales-wise.