Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I Saw A Deadhead Sticker on a Cadillac-- Don't Look Back

Princess of Tap

I just discovered another great psychedelic band from the '60s-----the "13th Floor Elevators". Anyone familiar with their stuff?

Yeah, I know them DGF. Also their lead Roky Erickson, who went on to have a lengthy solo career. He was the subject of a fascinating documentary in 2007 entitled You're Gonna Miss Me. Highly recommended. 

I am shocked........I am amazed that "Watch Her Ride" wasn't a bigger single hit for the Airplane than "Somebody to Love". It's got hooks up the kazoo, and the vocal interplay between Balin and Slick was never better.

Though I was never that BIG of an Airpane "fan", I'd have to agree.  I also thought their song "Lather"  from their CROWN OF CREATION LP should have gotten more airplay.

But if you're talking AM airtime, I'd have to ask...WHO CARES?  By the end of 1967, all the BEST music was on FM "underground" stations anyway( at least 'round THESE parts),so WHO CARES which "single" became a "hit" or not.

You could have cut with a knife the derision surrounding the laughter at ERIC CLAPTON's announcing "This next song was our 'hit'  "--at their Olympia Stadium concert in fall of '68, as most(and nearly ALL) of the audience RARELY (and if EVER) listened to AM radio, and long ago quit buying into the concept of "singles" and "hits", as FM radio stations also quit playing singles and never "rated" recordings in  #1,  and such categories.  And played random tracks( if not sometimes whole sides) from LPs, and not what the labels designated.

Incidentally, Clapton was introducing "Sunshine Of Your Love".

Sepiatone

Though I was never that BIG of an Airpane "fan", I'd have to agree.  I also thought their song "Lather"  from their CROWN OF CREATION LP should have gotten more airplay.

But if you're talking AM airtime, I'd have to ask...WHO CARES?  By the end of 1967, all the BEST music was on FM "underground" stations anyway( at least 'round THESE parts),so WHO CARES which "single" became a "hit" or not.

You could have cut with a knife the derision surrounding the laughter at ERIC CLAPTON's announcing "This next song was our 'hit'  "--at their Olympia Stadium concert in fall of '68, as most(and nearly ALL) of the audience RARELY (and if EVER) listened to AM radio, and long ago quit buying into the concept of "singles" and "hits", as FM radio stations also quit playing singles and never "rated" recordings in  #1,  and such categories.  And played random tracks( if not sometimes whole sides) from LPs, and not what the labels designated.

Incidentally, Clapton was introducing "Sunshine Of Your Love".

Sepiatone

My problem was that I didn't start listening to the underground stations until around '70, so I missed a lot of good stuff first time around. I'm still catching up. ..I know I get carried away sometimes, but right now I would would vote for the Airplane's "Watch Her Ride" as the greatest single record EVER.

"Watch Her Ride " and "Ballad of You and Me And Pooneil" WERE released as singles from "Baxter's":. Neither did that well.

Oops, I got my Airplane albums mixed up. After Somebody to Love

and White Rabbit made the Top Ten, the rest of their singles never

got that far. Guess they peaked early, at least in this regard. I just

came across this--Signe Anderson, who appeared as a vocalist on

the first Airplane album and then was replaced by Grace Slick, died

on the same day as Paul Kantner.

Oops, I got my Airplane albums mixed up. After Somebody to Love

and White Rabbit made the Top Ten, the rest of their singles never

got that far. Guess they peaked early, at least in this regard. I just

came across this--Signe Anderson, who appeared as a vocalist on

the first Airplane album and then was replaced by Grace Slick, died

on the same day as Paul Kantner.

Signe was the female Peter Best. She left when she got pregnant. That first album wasn't bad.

Signe was the female Peter Best. She left when she got pregnant. That first album wasn't bad.

Somewhat similar, but Pete didn't leave voluntarily and he

received a few million pounds when the first Anthology

album came out. Most of the Airplane albums are likely

on YT.

Before we get lost on the 13th floor with the 10 Inch Nails and other esoterica-- does anybody remember the classic rock and roll womb the way I do, besides Sepia?

Does anybody actually remember when these artists were on the AM radio and when rock and roll was controversial and exciting--

Chuck Berry

Little Richard

Bill Haley & the Comets

Jerry Lee Lewis

Carl Perkins

Larry Williams

Elvis Presley

The Everly Brothers

Buddy Holly

Johnny Otis

Believe It or Not - - there'd be no Beatles, there be no Beach Boys, no Rolling Stones, there be no nothing without these guys-- a lot of others including some girls, like Lavern Baker.

And the Beatles, The Beach Boys, the Stones, the Animals ect spent the first two years of their existence just recording the music of these guys.

How many of you have ever heard Robert Palmer's recording of All Around the World (Rock and Roll Is Here To Stay)? Little Richard's classic anthem for Rock. But I bet you've seen Little Richard performing in The Girl Can't Help It. That's real classic rock.

Yeah, but everybody's heard the Beach Boys recording of Chuck Berry's Rock and Roll music. Not bad. And everybody's heard the Beatles' Rock and Roll Music. Not bad. It didn't start with them--it had to come from somewhere.

As much as I love Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys I have to tell you that Brian actually stoled Chuck Berry's song - - Sweet Little Sixteen - - rearranged it and wrote Different lyrics and passed it off as his own song called Surfing USA in 1963.

Murray Wilson, Brian's Infamous father/ manager was also running Brian's music publishing company,The Sea of Tunes Publishing Company. And when Murray found out that Brian had stolen the song, he unceremoniously relinquished the rights to the song, including Brian's lyrics --and all the royalties to Chuck Berry's music publishing company. But here comes the best part, Murray did all this without ever telling Brian.

(Murray Wilson also left his nephew, Mike Love, the lead singer of The Beach Boys, off all the published songs that he wrote the lyrics for including,I get around,Fun Fun Fun and California Girls! The litigious Mike Love went to court over this and that's another story altogether.)

Even the great Brian Wilson had to start with Chuck Berry.

When I got the Surfin USA album and saw only Brian's name on the record it was incredulous to me. But I assumed that Capitol Records had already taken care of all the legal issues that were necessary. Little did I know that the infamous Murray Wilson was handling the whole thing.

This may have been one case where Murray actually did the right thing.LOL

• Like 1

Great '60s singles rock songs from lesser-known artists::

Fire--Crazy World of Arthur Brrown

96 Tears-? and Mysterians

Venus--Shocking Blue

The Letter--Boxtops

Spirit in the Sky--Norman Greenbaum

Time Has Come Today--Chambers Bros

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida--Iron Butterfly

Are You Ready--Pacific Gas and Electric

Time Won't Let Me--Outsiders

Friday on My Mind---Easybeats

Nobody But Me---Human Beinz

Psychotic Reaction--Count Five

Black is Black--Los Bravos

Lies--Knickerbockers

California Sun--Rivieras

Vehicle--Ides of March

I Had Too Much to Dream---Electric Prunes

We Ain't got Nothin Yet---Blues Magoos

Ride Captain Ride---Blues Image

Journey to the Center of the Mind---Amboy Dukes

She's About a Mover--Sir Douglas Quintet

Just Like Romeo and Juliet--Reflections

Oh How Happy---Shades of Blue

Morning Girl---Neon Philharmonic

Reflections of my Life--Marmalade

Double Shot of my Baby's Love---Swingin Medallions

Little Bit of Soul---Music Explosion

Ta;k Talk--Music Machine

Gimme Some Lovin---Crazy Elephant

Shape of Things to Come--Max Frost and Troopers

• Like 2

Great '60s singles rock songs from lesser-known groups:

Fire--Crazy World of Arthur Brrown

96 Tears-? and Mysterians

Venus--Shocking Blue

The Letter--Boxtops

Spirit in the Sky--Norman Greenbaum

Time Has Come Today--Chambers Bros

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida--Iron Butterfly

Are You Ready--Pacific Gas and Electric

Time Won't Let Me--Outsiders

Friday on My Mind---Easybeats

Nobody But Me---Human Beinz

Psychotic Reaction--Count Five

Black is Black--Los Bravos

Lies--Knickerbockers

California Sun--Rivieras

Vehicle--Ides of March

I Had Too Much to Dream---Electric Prunes

We Ain't got Nothin Yet---Blues Magoos

Ride Captain Ride---Blues Image

Journey to the Center of the Mind---Amboy Dukes

She's About a Mover--Sir Douglas Quintet

Just Like Romeo and Juliet--Reflections

Oh How Happy---Shades of Blue

Morning Girl---Neon Philharmonic

Reflections of my Life--Marmalade

Double Shot of my Baby's Love---Swingin Medallions

Little Bit of Soul---Music Explosion

Ta;k Talk--Music Machine

Gimme Some Lovin---Crazy Elephant

Shape of Things to Come--Max Frost and Troopers

Fi--

I bought just like Romeo and Juliet, the electric prunes, the blues Magoos and time won't let me.

But I think Vehicle and Iron Butterfly are in a class all by themselves.

I think it was last year that I saw 96 Tears on one of those PBS music specials and the original singer was doing it.

Fi--

I bought just like Romeo and Juliet, the electric prunes, the blues Magoos and time won't let me.

But I think Vehicle and Iron Butterfly are in a class all by themselves.

I think it was last year that I saw 96 Tears on one of those PBS music specials and the original singer was doing it.

Amboy Dukes is the group that gave us Ted Nugent.

Actually DGF, many on that list of yours weren't really all that "lesser known".  but by now, long forgotten.

I was gonna add SUGARLOAF to your list, but realized their "claim to fame"  GREEN EYED LADY was SEVENTIES .1970 to be exact, but then, you also had BLUES IMAGE on that list, and "Ride, Captain Ride" was also 1970.

But both decades, the 1960's AND the 1970's , have seen more than their share of "one hit wonders" (or "one LP wonders" if you will)

An example of this( and they had TWO LPs, but the first one sold better) was a group I STILL like,( and STILL have the now 45 year old vinyl platter of,) is a group called RATCHELL. 

I've yet to hear from ANYBODY ELSE who've heard of these guys.  But I thought they were pretty good, and it galls me their stuff was never re-issued on CD.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Actually DGF, many on that list of yours weren't really all that "lesser known".  but by now, long forgotten.

I was gonna add SUGARLOAF to your list, but realized their "claim to fame"  GREEN EYED LADY was SEVENTIES .1970 to be exact, but then, you also had BLUES IMAGE on that list, and "Ride, Captain Ride" was also 1970.

But both decades, the 1960's AND the 1970's , have seen more than their share of "one hit wonders" (or "one LP wonders" if you will)

An example of this( and they had TWO LPs, but the first one sold better) was a group I STILL like,( and STILL have the now 45 year old vinyl platter of,) is a group called RATCHELL. 

I've yet to hear from ANYBODY ELSE who've heard of these guys.  But I thought they were pretty good, and it galls me their stuff was never re-issued on CD.

Sepiatone

you're right, I never heard of 'um. :D

Princess - I have a lot of pre-60's rock, blues and soul music on disc and digital. I have Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Duane Eddy, Eddie Cochran, Carl Perkins, early Elvis Presley, Ruth Brown, Lavern Baker, Bill Haley, Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, Big Joe Turner, Hank Ballard, Bobby "Blue" Bland, Little Willie John, Everly Brothers, Sam Cooke, Ray Charles, Fats Domino, Jerry Lee Lewis, Bo Diddley, Clyde McPhatter, as well as the early blues men and guitarists like Robert Johnson, Leadbelly, Jimmy Reed, John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, B.B. King, Albert King, and Buddy Guy. I like all kinds of older "roots" artists and the rock'n'roll originators. We had an AM station in our area that played a lot of this music up until the early 90's, when virtually every AM station in this part of the country switched to religion or right-wing talk radio.

• Like 1

Sepiatone

Boy, you really nailed me on that Blues Image mistake...The Crazy Elephant song was actually "Gimme GOOD Loving".

If you were to name one band for each decade from the 50's through the 10's that you felt were the greatest/biggest/most influential group of those decades, who would it be?

50's = Buddy Holly & the Crickets

60's = The Beatles

70's = Led Zeppelin

80's = U2

90's = Nirvana/Radiohead*    *tie

00's = ??

10's = ??

I'll update mine after some more consideration.

50s- Id say Elvis, but if we're going with groups, Buddy Holly and the Crickets

60s- The Beatles

70s- Queen

80s- I'd say Michael Jackson, but for groups, Guns and Roses.

90s- Nirvana

00s- The Foo Fighters

10s- Not listening to much new music to know who is influential. I can't pin down a group, but I would say Bruno Mars and Lady Gaga.

If you were to name one band for each decade from the 50's through the 10's that you felt were the greatest/biggest/most influential group of those decades, who would it be?

50's = ??

60's = The Beatles

70's = Led Zeppelin

80's = U2

90's = ??

00's = ??

10's = ??

I'll update mine after some more consideration.

50s-- Elvis, Chuck Berry, and Little Richard/ Bill Haley & the Comets and the Everly Brothers, Buddy Holly and the Crickets

*Elvis*

60s-- The Beatles, The Beach Boys and the Rolling Stones

* The Beatles*

70s--The Eagles, Queen,The Bee Gees, Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac,

Hall & Oates/Elton John

* The Bee Gees*

80s-- Michael Jackson ,Phil Collins, Robert Palmer, Genesis and Hall & Oates

* Michael Jackson*

**Greatest rock and roll act in the 20th century-- The Beatles**

Not many "bands" in the '50's who stood out on their own.  there were singing groups BACKED by bands,

And out of THEM, the better ones IMO, are---

The band that backed up LITTLE RICHARD

and BILL HALEY'S COMETS

But, if you go by SINGING groups, MY vote goes for ---

THE CLOVERS

'60's= THE BEACH BOYS and THE BEATLES are a "dead heat"

'70's---LED ZEPPELIN might take top honors for many, but you CAN'T forget AEROSMITH

'80's--I'll bow out here since I personally didn't hear too much to like in the '80's.  What I DID like in that decade, was mostly '70's hangers on, or other '70's holdovers, and a few individual performers.  Nobody that I'd say "defined" that decade.

'90's--I have trouble deciding between PEARLJAM, LIVE and STP.

Beyond 1999, there's not any band or individual that remotely holds my interest.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Not many "bands" in the '50's who stood out on their own.  there were singing groups BACKED by bands,

and BILL HALEY'S COMETS

THE CLOVERS

'70's---LED ZEPPELIN might take top honors for many, but you CAN'T forget AEROSMITH

'80's--I'll bow out here since I personally didn't hear too much to like in the '80's.  What I DID like in that decade, was mostly '70's hangers on, or other '70's holdovers, and a few individual performers.  Nobody that I'd say "defined" that decade.

Beyond 1999, there's not any band or individual that remotely holds my interest.

Sepiatone

There was a lot of great rock during the'70s. Trotting out Queen or Zeppelin, two of my least favorite bands, as the most influential during that decade, certainly makes ME scratch my head.

There was a lot of great rock during the'70s. Trotting out Queen or Zeppelin, two of my least favorite bands, as the most influential during that decade, certainly makes ME scratch my head.

Then what 70's bands do you think should be listed? That's why I put forth the question. And if you list several, try to denote which would be your #1.

Not many "bands" in the '50's who stood out on their own. there were singing groups BACKED by bands,

and BILL HALEY'S COMETS

THE CLOVERS

'80's--I'll bow out here since I personally didn't hear too much to like in the '80's. What I DID like in that decade, was mostly '70's hangers on, or other '70's holdovers, and a few individual performers. Nobody that I'd say "defined" that decade.

Sepiatone

Sepia-- I really like Tears for Fears and Thompson Twins-- did you listen to that sort of Music at all in the 80s?