Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I Saw A Deadhead Sticker on a Cadillac-- Don't Look Back

Princess of Tap

PRINCESS:

Interesting post about AM radio back in the "day".  Been saying much of the same for years.  But I'd say in most cases, not EVERYONE listened to the same station.

In my area(Metro Detroit) back then, there were THREE main stations that played the music "kids" back then were buying.  And different people had THEIR own favorite station.  Some of it was regional.  Some had other reasons.

OUR three stations were---

WJBK (an affiliate of a local TV station)

WKNR( which also called itself "Keener")

And WXYZ( which called itself "Wixie")

My step-brother, who lived in Wayne MI said the preferrence THERE was WXYZ,  while in my hometown of Lincoln Park, MI was divided between WJBK and WKNR. 

WJBK had relay towers in my town, and was easier to pick up.  I preferred WJBK, which as far as I know was the FIRST in the area to play a BEATLES record, in spite of WKNR trying to make that claim.

All the stations had different rating systems( #1 an so forth) and provided little flyers of their playlists to local record stores( remember THEM?)

But yeah, the DIVERSITY radio had back then was amazing!  All three of the stations I mentioned were equally diverse.  I have to mention though, that there WERE a couple of AM stations that catered only to African-Americans( WCHB and WJLB) that many white kids would also listen to.  I too, would sometimes  tune in.  The only WHITE artist I ever heard on either was ROY HEAD, who's hit "Treat Her Right" crossed over smoothly. (and STILL one of my favorites from the "day".)

Sepiatone

The o

Fra-- the kicker was nobody knew this too much because the groups really didn't get publicity and they didn't have photos on the record sleaves.

To this day I can name all of the Kinks, Dave Clark Five, searchers, The animals excetera. But all those groups from the fifties and early sixties you never knew the names of any of the individual members unless the person was featured in the title like Dion and the Belmonts or Little Anthony and the Imperials.

The Shirelles may have been the biggest girl group in the history of rock and roll until the Supremes, but I still couldn't name one today.

I think the individual publicity for the groups started with the Beach Boys Before The Beatles and certainly it was emphasized after the Beatles. Maybe this all came out of Capitol Records because it does point to that.

The early publicity that I got for the Beach Boys singled each one out and individualized him - that's primarily because they had they had that unique family background and the one person who wasn't family was like a neighbor or a school chum.

Anyway, The only time you'd see a group was on American Bandstand for the most part, unless you saw them in person. Only the very top people got invited to the ED Sullivan Show.

My father ran some venues and restaurants so we got free tickets to all the shows and I got to see some of those groups in the 1950's.

I was surprised to see one group called The Crests- - they had a big hit with 16 Candles and their group was integrated.

The only '50s all-female doo-w o p groups I know of were the prolific Chantels and the one-hit Teenqueens (Eddie My Love)

Fra-- I had one wonderful Chantels record called Look in My Eyes-- they were a beautiful all-black girl group.

Sep-- radio-wise during Beatlemania and the British Invasion we listened to a number of famous AM stations.

WHB-- this is Kansas City's proud rock and roll station. They actually sponsored The Beatles concert. Historically HB was famous for being the station that launched Count Basie's live jazz performances on organ.

WLS in Chicago was the midwest station we pined for. They would give us a daily Top 5 that we couldn't miss-- this was particularly important during the competition between the Beatles and the Dave Clark Five.

KAAY in Little Rock Arkansas is maybe one of the most famous incognito AM radio stations of the post-world War II era in terms of Rock.

You could hear that Razorback station loud and clear once everybody else was off. KAAY easily came through very well down around midnight and they played the RIGHTEOUS music. I believe Wolfman Jack was on the station. I don't know if he was live or taped. We really wondered if he was a human being.LOL

Fra-- I have one wonderful Chantels record called Look in My Eyes-- they were abeautiful all black girl group.

Sep-- radio-wise during Beatlemania and the British Invasion we had a number of famous stations.

WHB-- this is Kansas City's proud rock and roll station. They actually sponsored The Beatles concert. Historically HB was famous for being the station that launched Count Basie's live jazz performances on organ.

WLS in Chicago was the midwest station we pined for. They would give us a daily Top 5 that we couldn't miss-- this was particularly important during the competition between the Beatles and the Dave Clark Five.

KAAY in Little Rock Arkansas is maybe one of the most famous incognito AM radio stations of the post-world War II era in terms of Rock.

You could hear that Razorback station loud and clear once everybody else was off. KAAY easily came through very well down around midnight and they played the RIGHTEOUS music. I believe Wolfman Jack was on the station. I don't know if he was live or taped. We really wondered if he was a human being.LOL

The Chantels were really pioneers. yet they get very little credit. Most people have never heard of them.

The Chantels were really pioneers. yet they get very little credit. Most people have never heard of them.

I only have that one fantastic record - - and I really didn't know anything about them.

A few decades back I got this big paperback book about girl groups and girl singers; they were featured in that.

The only time I've ever seen them perform was on one of those nostalgic PBS specials - - and they were still beautiful.

I only have that one fantastic record - - and I really didn't know anything about them.

A few decades back I got this big paperback book about girl groups and girl singers; they were featured in that.

The only time I've ever seen them perform was on one of those nostalgic PBS specials - - and they were still beautiful.

They had a lot of good stuff----"Maybe", "He's Gone", "The Plea", "Every Night", "I Love You So"

They had a lot of good stuff----"Maybe", "He's Gone", "The Plea", "Every Night"

Gotta say never even heard them on the radio in the Midwest. They may very well be an East Coast phenomenon. The way Dick Dale was a West Coast phenomenon.

The reason I know so much about rock roll music in the fifties is because my father had juke boxes in his businesses and I got all the stuff off the Jukebox after it was worn out. LOL

Also, the jukebox guys just gave me records that they couldn't get rid of. So I got to hear a lot of stuff that wasn't on the radio locally.

Gotta say never even heard them on the radio in the Midwest. They may very well be an East Coast phenomenon. The way Dick Dale was a West Coast phenomenon.

The reason I know so much about rock roll music in the fifties is because my father had juke boxes in his businesses and I got all the stuff off the Jukebox after it was worn out. LOL

Also, the jukebox guys just gave me records that they couldn't get rid of. So I got to hear a lot of stuff that wasn't on the radio locally.

But I HEARD of Dick Dale.

But I HEARD of Dick Dale.

Well, you know that the Beach Boys became internationally famous before the Beatles in the early sixties.

And I have certainly heard of Dick Dale - -

but it was only in relationship to and because of the Beach Boys.

They were doing his stuff on their albums. I think the one I remember, they even did it on the live album and it was on the Surfin USA album, is called Let's Go Trippin.

Fra-- I don't play cassettes much anymore, but recently I had to go through 3 or 4 hundred cassettes to locate Bobby Vee's Greatest Hits.

While I was rummaging through this mess, I found a group I hadn't thought about in years, whom I really liked, Ice House.

I think Ice House was from Australia. Does anybody else remember them?

Hunting down and posting a YouTube clip doesn't necessarily mean you've heard of them, nor answers Princess's question Lawrence.

But in all honesty, I have to admit I don't recall EVER having heard, or heard OF this group.  The clip does however, indicate to me they did that formulaic plastic "pop" that passed for rock on MTV back in the '80's.  Wasn't into that sort of thing back then.

But some quick, and very easy research informs me that yes, they were Australian.

Sepiatone

Hunting down and posting a YouTube clip doesn't necessarily mean you've heard of them, nor answers Princess's question Lawrence.

If I didn't say anything about Icehouse, then perhaps I have nothing to say about Icehouse. 

I posted a video for Princess because she can't. And if she had an issue with it, I'm sure she would have commented as such, since she's not exactly a shrinking violet. 

If I didn't say anything about Icehouse, then perhaps I have nothing to say about Icehouse.

I posted a video for Princess because she can't. And if she had an issue with it, I'm sure she would have commented as such, since she's not exactly a shrinking violet.

Lawrence--

Thanx for the video of Ice House. It seems like I do remember a little something about them now. And what made me think about them was that they were Protegés of Hall & Oates at that time.

"I Shot Mr. Lee", by the Bobbettes, was another major '50s doo-w o p song by an all-female group.

Fra-- I remember that song quite well. It was pretty big, but I think they were one- hit wonders.

In those days the kind of girl group stuff that I really liked was something by The Ponytails, Born Too Late. I bought the record--that's the sort of thing that I preferred.

Fra-- I remember that song quite well. It was pretty big, but I think they were one- hit wonders.

In those days the kind of girl group stuff that I really liked was something by The Ponytails, Born Too Late. I bought the record--that's the sort of thing that I preferred.

That group, I believe, was organized by, and included, Phil Spector. I'll check on this....Oops. I'm thinking of the Teddy Bears ("To Know Him is to Love Him")

Fra-- I wrote some stuff yesterday about Top 40 AM radio. Did you get a chance to see it?

Yes. WIBG-AM in Philly is where I cut my teeth. Legendary DJs Hy Lit and Joe Niagara. This station was superseded in '66 by the more traditionally formatted WFIL-AM, whoses DJs included George Michael, who later became a sports host of some national note, based in Washington, D.C. ....There was a small AM station in Philly, where legendary DJ Jerry Blavat played whatever he wanted, including obscure doo-w o ps and little-known dance songs and soul tracks that the big stations wouldn't touch. Most of my real knowledge came from him.

I'm sure all of us who listened to some particular AM station back in the "day" had their favorite DJs.

Since I listened to WJBK , MY favorites were MARC AVERY, and a guy who's actual name WAS ROBERT E. LEE.  He'd start his show with a "rebel yell" and advise isteners to "Save your Confederate money, 'cause the South WILL rise again!"

Many guys I knew who listened to WKNR liked GARY STEVENS, who had an on-air "sidekick" he called "The WOOLYBURGER" which was either him, or some other guy making sounds like the SOUPY SALES character "WHITEFANG"

WXYZ had legendary DJs LEE ALLEN and MICKEY SHORR, who still has a chain of CAR AUDIO shops around the county.

Sepiatone

I'm sure all of us who listened to some particular AM station back in the "day" had their favorite DJs.

Since I listened to WJBK , MY favorites were MARC AVERY, and a guy who's actual name WAS ROBERT E. LEE.  He'd start his show with a "rebel yell" and advise isteners to "Save your Confederate money, 'cause the South WILL rise again!"

Many guys I knew who listened to WKNR liked GARY STEVENS, who had an on-air "sidekick" he called "The WOOLYBURGER" which was either him, or some other guy making sounds like the SOUPY SALES character "WHITEFANG"

WXYZ had legendary DJs LEE ALLEN and MICKEY SHORR, who still has a chain of CAR AUDIO shops around the county.

Sepiatone

A while back I volunteered that Jefferson Airplane and Cream reminded me of one another. Here's another pairing.------U2 and Echo and the Bunnymen.. Any takers?

The 20 worst songs of all time, as determined by readers of the New York Post.

"We Built This City" - Starship

"We Are the World" - USA for Africa

"One Week" - Barenaked Ladies

"Don't Worry, Be Happy" - Bobby McFerrin

"Seasons In the Sun" - Terry Jacks

"Take My Breath Away" - Berlin

"Disco Duck" - Rick Dees

"The Joker" - The Steve Miller Band

"Who Let the Dogs Out" - Baha Men

"PPAP" - Piko-Taro (never heard of this one)

"Rock the Boat" - The Hues Corporation

"Party All the Time" - Eddie Murphy

"99 Luftballons" - Nena

"Hey Jude" - The Beatles

"(Everything I Do) I Do It for You" - Bryan Adams

"The Safety Dance" - Men Without Hats

"Macarena" - Los del Rio

"Achy Breaky Heart" - Billy Ray Cyrus

"The Final Countdown" - Europe

"Panda" - Desiigner (I don't know this one, either)

There are a few of these that I like.

The 20 worst songs of all time, as determined by readers of the New York Post.

"We Built This City" - Starship

"We Are the World" - USA for Africa

"One Week" - Barenaked Ladies

"Don't Worry, Be Happy" - Bobby McFerrin

"Seasons In the Sun" - Terry Jacks

"Take My Breath Away" - Berlin

"Disco Duck" - Rick Dees

"The Joker" - The Steve Miller Band

"Who Let the Dogs Out" - Baha Men

"PPAP" - Piko-Taro (never heard of this one)

"Rock the Boat" - The Hues Corporation

"Party All the Time" - Eddie Murphy

"99 Luftballons" - Nena

"Hey Jude" - The Beatles

"(Everything I Do) I Do It for You" - Bryan Adams

"The Safety Dance" - Men Without Hats

"Macarena" - Los del Rio

"Achy Breaky Heart" - Billy Ray Cyrus

"The Final Countdown" - Europe

"Panda" - Desiigner (I don't know this one, either)

There are a few of these that I like.

The list is pretty dead-on, although I have "The Final Countdown" on my ipod. My vote for the worst song of all time goes to "Doh-Wah-Diddy-Diddy" by Manfred Mann.