Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I Saw A Deadhead Sticker on a Cadillac-- Don't Look Back

Princess of Tap

No, that started with Pete Townshend, who threw a fit (he had an awful hair-trigger temper). Pete liked to jump around a lot on stage, and during one gig, the ceiling was very low. He jumped and the neck of his guitar went through the ceiling. He got angry when people laughed, so he proceeded to smash his guitar into his amp. People liked it, so he did it at another show, and Keith joined in. Then it became expected, and kept growing in spectacle. Eventually it got too expensive, so they stopped.

He also would have stopped if, in setting the equipment on fire, he also set the arena on fire.

Moon is my favorite drummer. I even like watching him drum, especially in the post-Tommy days when his drum kit grew to ridiculous sizes and he was all over the thing, always with his goofy grin and wide eyes.

Then he started wearing that strange headgear. I don't know if it was

to lessen the sound of the other instruments or to send stimulation

to his brain cells. Moon makes most of the Who concert videos twice

as entertaining.

Was Keith Moon the one who had the original idea to tear up the equipment and did they set it on fire too--or was that just Arthur Brown?

I've read something alone the same lines as LawrenceA posted--

it started as an accident and then became part of the act.

I don't believe we mentioned this one when we were discussing '60s one-hit wonders:

Bubble Puppy----"Hot Smoke and Sassafrass"

DAMN good group.

Saw them live opening for SPIRIT on a double bill with CANNED HEAT back in '68.

Them boys was good pickers.

Sepiatone

..with one of the great band names.

Yeah.  We all thought that although the TUNE was cool, the band's NAME was laughable.

At that concert, once they finished their set, nobody was laughing then.  They were all TOO BLOWN AWAY!

Sepiatone

In the miscellaneous category, if you asked me today what artist had the best four songs, it would be Manhattan Transfer, with "The Shaker Song", "The Spice of Life", "Mystery", and "Poinciana". ...This choice may change tomorrow.

Poinciana-- that's an old 4 Freshmen song. Brian Wilson turned me onto The Four Freshmen years ago. But frankly they sounded just like Andy Williams and his brothers to me.

Brian described The Beach Boys sound that he created as being a combination of the Four Freshmen singing to Chuck Berry type rock music, i.e. Surfin USA.

Poinciana-- that's an old 4 Freshmen song. Brian Wilson turned me onto The Four Freshmen years ago. But frankly they sounded just like Andy Williams and his brothers to me.

Brian described The Beach Boys sound that he created as being a combination of the Four Freshmen singing to Chuck Berry type rock music, i.e. Surfin USA.

I just listened to the Four Freshmen version, and the Manhattan Transfer version is MUCH better.

I just listened to the Four Freshmen version, and the Manhattan Transfer version is MUCH better.

If it's better, it's because they've had an opportunity to improve on the original.

That reminds me of what I say about two of my favorite singers-- Andy Williams and Johnny Mathis. They recorded for the same company, Columbia and they were very competitive.

Both of them recorded Maria from West Side Story, which is a very difficult song no matter what the arrangement is.

Johnny's Arrangement really captures the essence of the theatrical setting of the song. It makes you feel like you're really in the ambiance of the show.

Andy's recording came out later so that he could "beat" Johnny in terms of technical prowess with his arrangement because he had the advantage of hearing Johnny's recording first.

And undoubtedly and there's no doubt in my mind that Johnny could have sung Andy's Arrangement just as well. But when you put the two recordings up against each other, Andy always wins, in my opinion.

When it comes to The Manhattan Transfer I prefer most their treatment( with lyrics added by I don't know who) of JOSEF ZAWINUL'S "Birdland"  that was an instrumental "hit" for  WEATHER REPORT.

Sepiatone

I've recently listened to this, too. It is real good, just not quite as good as the four I mentioned.......Yes, that is my opinion. MT's founder, Tim Hauser, died last year.

I've recently listened to this, too. It is real good, just not quite as good as the four I mentioned.......Yes, that is my opinion. MT's founder, Tim Hauser, died last year.

While we're talking jazz vocals, it doesn't get any better than the underappreciated June Christy's "Something Cool" and "Midnight Sun".

• Like 1

My current ranking of rock bands:

1--Stones

2--Doors

3-Jefferson Airplane

4--The Who

5--U2

6--Cream

7--Steely Dan

8--Grateful Dead

9--Police

10--Beatles

11-Beach Boys

12--Kinks

13--Pink Floyd

14--Moody Blues

15--Santana

16--CCR

17--Fleetwood Mac

18--Squeeze

19--Doobie Brothers

20-- CS& N (&Y)

Squeeze! Nice!

Pretty good list there DGF.  But I'm sure there are those who would change the order, or replace one or two with someone else.  Or add a couple.

Personally, I'd add SPIRIT  and KING CRIMSON.  But in no particular order.  AND leave the rest of the list intact.

And you can bet PRINCESS would put The Beach Boys at the TOP!  ;)

Sepiatone

Pretty good list there DGF. But I'm sure there are those who would change the order, or replace one or two with someone else. Or add a couple.

Personally, I'd add SPIRIT and KING CRIMSON. But in no particular order. AND leave the rest of the list intact.

And you can bet PRINCESS would put The Beach Boys at the TOP! ;)

Sepiatone

Sep--

If I ever need a spokesperson, you got the job!

• Like 1

Kinks frontman Ray Davies received a knighthood during the Queen's New Year Honours.

Cheers to Sir Ray!

Hey that is great new and well overdue.    I saw Ray about 15 months ago in a fairly small venue (around 3,000 seats).  

He had two very different sets; one with just another guitar player (a real pro),  and one with a band.    The show was great.