Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I Saw A Deadhead Sticker on a Cadillac-- Don't Look Back

Princess of Tap

Recently on one of those PBS My Music specials I saw UK tape of The Kinks performing All The Day and All The Night back in the day.

It was a professional performance with all the young girls screaming, but the tape looked like it was done by a non-professional or just maybe a friend who was standing behind them in the wings. I had trouble telling Dave from Ray.

A few years back, Dave came through town doing a solo act and he was really very good.

Mick Jagger and Paul McCartney and so many others have already received a Knighthood from the Queen. I wonder if he was tired of waiting, all the day and all the night, like forever.

Yes,   I assume Ray was tried of waiting.    While the queen is a pretty nice girl she doesn't have a lot to say.

• Like 1

Sepiatone----I don't know whether you mentioned this, but even though I am from Philly, I know that the legendary Detroit rock station was CKLW, which because it began with "C", was obviously based in Windsor, Ontario. Were many Detroit stations based in Windsor with a "C" prefix?

Sepiatone----I don't know whether you mentioned this, but even though I am from Philly, I know that the legendary Detroit rock station was CKLW, which because it began with "C", was obviously based in Windsor, Ontario. Were many Detroit stations based in Windsor with a "C" prefix?

No.  They were all based in Windsor.  However, there WAS a Detroit radio personality named ROBIN SEYMORE who first started with a station in the metro Detroit area with the "call letters" WKMH( he started each broadcast with a clip of the tune "Bobbin' With The Robin")  who left when it became WKNR( but changed to WNIC, an "easy listening" station in '72) and moved his show across the river to CKLW.  For years he hosted also a "Bandstand" type TV show called "Swinging Time" that was VERY popular back in the mid to late '60's.  And CK also had a high listenership among metro Detroit kids.  Bob Seger's song "Rosalie" was about CKLW music director ROSALIE TROMBLEY who championed his music in the early days.  The "underground" Canadian station we liked over here was CJOM-FM.   Now, it's CIMX  "The New Rock Alternative" !

Seymore used to show up at local "young adult"(teen) hot spot The Chatterbox with a group of local talent and was easily accessible  to anyone who wanted to walk up and talk.  I once talked to him and mentioned that my MOM used to be a big fan of his when he was on WKMH, and he just smiled and said, "SHHHH!  Don't say that too LOUD!"  Nice guy.  Lived in DEARBORN, MI for years.

As CKLW was located just a hop across the Detroit river, and was also the TV station over in Windsor too, we over here in much of southeast Michigan could also see many of the offerings of Canadian TV.  My cousin, who lived in Memphis TENN.  was always at a loss when I'd rave on about WAYNE AND SHUSTER .  Or the kid's shows like "Captain Jolly" and "Jingles" and "The Gentle Giant"

That last one came later when I was too old for such "baby" stuff.  But my kid sister used to LOVE a Canadian kid's show (seen on CKLW TV) called "Mr. Dress-up".  She had it on once when I was leaving to go to high school, and I paused long enough to ask my Mom, "Mr. DRESS-UP?  Isn't that what they called the guy down the street who always wore his WIFE'S CLOTHING?"  It as the last time I saw my Mom's COFFEE shoot out of her nose!  :D

Sepiatone

No.  They were all based in Windsor.  However, there WAS a Detroit radio personality named ROBIN SEYMORE who first started with a station in the metro Detroit area with the "call letters" WKMH( he started each broadcast with a clip of the tune "Bobbin' With The Robin")  who left when it became WKNR( but changed to WNIC, an "easy listening" station in '72) and moved his show across the river to CKLW.  For years he hosted also a "Bandstand" type TV show called "Swinging Time" that was VERY popular back in the mid to late '60's.  And CK also had a high listenership among metro Detroit kids.  Bob Seger's song "Rosalie" was about CKLW music director ROSALIE TROMBLEY who championed his music in the early days.  The "underground" Canadian station we liked over here was CJOM-FM.   Now, it's CIMX  "The New Rock Alternative" !

Seymore used to show up at local "young adult"(teen) hot spot The Chatterbox with a group of local talent and was easily accessible  to anyone who wanted to walk up and talk.  I once talked to him and mentioned that my MOM used to be a big fan of his when he was on WKMH, and he just smiled and said, "SHHHH!  Don't say that too LOUD!"  Nice guy.  Lived in DEARBORN, MI for years.

As CKLW was located just a hop across the Detroit river, and was also the TV station over in Windsor too, we over here in much of southeast Michigan could also see many of the offerings of Canadian TV.  My cousin, who lived in Memphis TENN.  was always at a loss when I'd rave on about WAYNE AND SHUSTER .  Or the kid's shows like "Captain Jolly" and "Jingles" and "The Gentle Giant"

That last one came later when I was too old for such "baby" stuff.  But my kid sister used to LOVE a Canadian kid's show (seen on CKLW TV) called "Mr. Dress-up".  She had it on once when I was leaving to go to high school, and I paused long enough to ask my Mom, "Mr. DRESS-UP?  Isn't that what they called the guy down the street who always wore his WIFE'S CLOTHING?"  It as the last time I saw my Mom's COFFEE shoot out of her nose!  :D

Sepiatone

The thing that reminded me of CKLW is that I listened to a couple youtubes that had the CKLW intro before the song played. Of course, the best-known local top 40 rock station was WABC in NYC with Cousin Brucie, Harry Harrison, etc.

The thing that reminded me of CKLW is that I listened to a couple youtubes that had the CKLW intro before the song played. Of course, the best-known local top 40 rock station was WABC in NYC with Cousin Brucie, Harry Harrison, etc.

Sure, every major metro city region had their favorites.  And "still there" residents and displaced natives remember them fondly.

As to your more recent queries----I'd say Jackie Wilson's entire pre-'60's body of work qualifies.

And I always thought WAR's "Low Rider" is WAY too short.  Limiting it to a "best 3" doesn't do them justice.

Sepiaotne

Sure, every major metro city region had their favorites.  And "still there" residents and displaced natives remember them fondly.

As to your more recent queries----I'd say Jackie Wilson's entire pre-'60's body of work qualifies.

And I always thought WAR's "Low Rider" is WAY too short.  Limiting it to a "best 3" doesn't do them justice.

Sepiaotne

While I can't say I'm a fan of War's music they are fine musicians.  Around 17 years ago my wife's was manager of a catering company and War was playing at a Taste of Orange County concert.    The catering company had a booth to serve fans and also provided food for the musicians.    I got a back stage pass and meet the band members.     While I didn't know any of their songs I did know a lot of Latin jazz and we jammed on some Jobim tunes.

• Like 1

Sepiaotne

Interestingly, I believe the pre-1960 Jackie Wilson had an association with Berry Gordy.

While I can't say I'm a fan of War's music they are fine musicians.  Around 17 years ago my wife's was manager of a catering company and War was playing at a Taste of Orange County concert.    The catering company had a booth to serve fans and also provided food for the musicians.    I got a back stage pass and meet the band members.     While I didn't know any of their songs I did know a lot of Latin jazz and we jammed on some Jobim tunes.

War definitely has a Latin feel. "The World is a Ghetto" is another of their best.

Interestingly, I believe the pre-1960 Jackie Wilson had an association with Berry Gordy.

Well, they both are(or was, in Jackies case) Detroit boys, boxed "golden gloves" together, and Gordy, along with sister GWEN and friend Billy Davis wrote the Wilson tunes,

REET PETITE

TO BE LOVED

I'M WANDERIN'

THAT'S WHY(I LOVE YOU SO)

As well as that favorite of yours you mentioned:

I'LL BE SATISFIED  and the ever famous

LONELY TEARDROPS.

Wilson was also a cousin to LEVI STUBBS of FOUR TOPS fame.

He's had quite the life and career.

Sepiatone

Well, they both are(or was, in Jackies case) Detroit boys, boxed "golden gloves" together, and Gordy, along with sister GWEN and friend Billy Davis wrote the Wilson tunes,

REET PETITE

TO BE LOVED

I'M WANDERIN'

THAT'S WHY(I LOVE YOU SO)

As well as that favorite of yours you mentioned:

I'LL BE SATISFIED  and the ever famous

LONELY TEARDROPS.

Wilson was also a cousin to LEVI STUBBS of FOUR TOPS fame.

He's had quite the life and career.

Sepiatone

"That's Why" is another Wilson favorite of mine. Given Gordy's association with the pioneering Wilson and his well-chronicled founding and shepherding of Motown, Gordy, despite his faults, could be said to be arguably the most influential figure in r &b history.

• Like 1

Given Gordy's association with the pioneering Wilson and his well-chronicled founding and shepherding of Motown, Gordy, despite his faults, could be said to be arguably the most influential figure in r &b history.

See there?  We DO occaisionally see eye-to-eye, don't we?  ;)

Sepiatone

His only competition-------Smokey Robinson, James Brown, Gamble and Huff

Ahmet Ertegun-- the Founder of Atlantic Records

Ruth Brown, Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles, Solomon Burke, Otis Redding, the Bee Gees, The Drifters, Percy Sledge, Wilson Pickett, The Coasters

-- and many more.

Discovered, the talent, developed athetalent, produced the records created the record company.

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 1987 Inductee

Ahmet Ertegun-- the Founder of Atlantic Records

Ruth Brown, Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles, Solomon Burke, Otis Redding, the Bee Gees, The Drifters, Percy Sledge, Wilson Pickett, The Coasters

-- and many more.

Discovered, the talent, developed athetalent, produced the records created the record company.

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 1987 Inductee

Ertegun is a good choice.

Dick Clark, Brian Wilson, Phil Spector, Ed Sullivan, Brian Epstein, George Martin, The Wrecking Crew, The Chess brothers who founded Chess Records at 2120 South Michigan Avenue recorded Chuck Berry, Burt Bacharach Hal David and their artists like Dionne Warwick, Gene Pitney Jerry Butler and the Isley Brothers, David Geffen with the Eagles and John Lennon, Art Rupe's Specialty records with Little Richard and Larry Williams-- just to name a few of my favorites.

Brian Wilson's favorite rock and roll record is Phil Spector's Be My Baby By The Ronettes.

My favorite rock and roll record in terms of over- production for all time is Phil Spector's You Lost That Loving Feeling by the Righteous Brothers.

My favorite minimally produced rock and roll record is Chuck Berry's School Days--

Followed by Keep a Knockin by Little Richard.

For me the most perfect rock and roll record of all time is A Hard Day's Night. And I also think it's the most perfect rock and roll theme for a rock and roll movie.

Most beautiful Rock ballad of all time for me is Surfer Girl by Brian Wilson performed by the Beach Boys.

His only competition-------Smokey Robinson, James Brown, Gamble and Huff

This comment would give the impression that you're stating SMOKEY ROBINSON was somehow a competitor of Gordy's.  Which of course, he wasn't.  After his Miracles failed an audition for Brunswick records, he met Gordy,  and Gordy liked both Robinson and the Miracles and was also impressed with Smokey's songwriting.  He helped them get a single released on END RECORDS( "Got AJob")  and after Gordy formed TAMLA records, later reincorporated  into MOTOWN, they began a long colaboration.  Smokey eventually beame an execuive at Motown while still a recording artist too.

The others mentioned are inconsequential due to Gamble and Huff not hitting the scene with any discernable notice until Motown started it's decline due to changes in  public musical tastes and Motown's diversification into movies and the move to LA.  in the early '70's.

And Brown didn't do what could be called a lot of production outside of his own music.

And PRINCESS:

You must be easy to please if you can single out only a few songs as "favorites" in such a "greats" filled genre.  Certainly your stated picks ARE very good songs, and among the EXTREMELY LONG list of MY "favorites", as I can't honestly whittle it down that fine. 

And WHAT does Brian Wilson's personal opinion as to HIS favorite rock'n'roll tune have to do with the price of tea, or ANYTHING?

But just to have a bit of debate fun, and since rock'n'roll made it's biggest impact on the "young adult" and teen market, I'd place The WHO's "My Generation"  over "Hard Day's Night"  as the "most perfect rock'n'roll record of all time"  as it speaks more directly to the audience that was BUYING the music, and that it's STILL primarily relevant proves my point.

As for "minimally produced", you can't get much more "minimal" than Chuck Berry's "Maybelline".   ;)  But then, the same could be said of MUCH of Berry's discography.

Sepiatone