Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I Saw A Deadhead Sticker on a Cadillac-- Don't Look Back

Princess of Tap

Gee, I'm almost sorry to break up y'all's little "cricle jerk" here to say I once saw Eydie wipe tears from her eyes after finishing a tune on some TV show some years back.  She realy DID get "into" whatever she sang, and the proof was always in the pudding.

Unfortunately,I don't recall the song.  But will never forget her reaction.

Sepiatone

Eydie's I'll Take Romance is the definitive Eydie and really displays her style and her range, which made her famous.

Recently I got a CD of two old albums that I had years ago--

Steve has got control of all their music now and I think that's wonderful.

The three songs that I really liked on this CD are unbelievable performances from Eydie- -

"What Did I have that I don't have now?"- - from On a Clear Day you can see forever

Her Grammy award-winning "If He Walked into my life"-- from Mame

And her version/arrangement of "I Wanna Be around to pick up the pieces", which would make Tony Bennett sit down and applaud.

Eydie also does this great torch song: "What's New?

As far as the ladies go, Eydie is in the top five of my list of girl singers--

What Eydie had is just something you're born with.

Eydie also did a great job on "As Long as He Needs Me".

VAUTRIN::

I LOVED Homer amd Jethro.  I even sent in some number of Kellog's Corn Flakes box tops to get their "OOH, That's Corny" joke book.

I was already familiar with the song "Fascination" when they did their bit where "Jethro"( those weren't their real names) would play the song on his mandolin with no singing, as an instrumental interlude for the song parody of "Look Away Lover"  turning it into a song about a woman that was "fat, just too fat for me"  and when the chorus of "fascination came around, they finally sang, "She had nine buttons on her nightgown/but she could only fasten eight."  Not a bad play on the word "fascinate" I thought.

Sepiatone

I remember their version of He'll Have To Go, with an annoying voice

saying Hello. Hello. Is anybody there? Hello, etc. Pretty funny. I'm sure

they changed the lyrics around too, but I don't remember that as well.

I remember their version of He'll Have To Go, with an annoying voice

saying Hello. Hello. Is anybody there? Hello, etc. Pretty funny. I'm sure

they changed the lyrics around too, but I don't remember that as well.

Yeah, well....

They WERE more or less the "countrified" WEIRD AL of their day.  And matter of fact, there were several different guys at various times who took over one or the other's role. 

As to these "old guy" singers-----

We're discussing this sort of thing in another forum i belong to.  Seems to be(and I know a few in my family) a growing interest in some of those guys and the music and songs they sang among some millennials lately.  Some attribute it to the plethora of "over the hill' pop/rock stars that jumped on the "American Songbook" bandwagon.  Like Rod Stewart for example.  Including TONY BENNETT's foray into doing duets with LADY GA-GA.  Now, they want to hear them done by some others from "back then" that helped make those songs famous.  Now, I can't remember which one it was, but my 35 year old nephew( at that time, he's in his 40's now) and his wife had some early PERRY COMO song played for their  Bridal dance at their wedding.

Goes to prove that a good song is a good song and will live forever.  No matter which way the winds of the market blow.

Sepiatone

Eydie also did a great job on "As Long as He Needs Me".

Extremely difficult song from Oliver.

My number 3 ranked female vocalist Goldfinger Shirley Bassey can really sing that song. The kind of song either you got the voice for, just like What Kind of Fool am I, or you just forget it.

Of course, Judy did an excellent job with that song too on her TV show.

Shirley Bassey has a big range a gigantic sound that would probably hit the back of the wall of the theater, just like Barbra Streisand or Ethel Merman.

In fact Shirley Bassey's voice is so vast, sometimes she just really cannot control it the way she should.

She's especially good on expressive numbers like the ones written by Michel Legrande with the Bergmans - - What Are you doing the rest of your life?

But she won me over Singing Ethel Merman songs like Everything's Coming up Roses. And she tears up a number like I Could have Danced all night in an awesome pop arrangement - - and it is next to Julie Andrews' version my favorite.

I've always loved singers like Julie Andrews and Jeanette MacDonald - - but I wouldn't really say either one was an opera singer. Those two are just in a class all by themselves!

For those of you hanging on my choice of the top disco song of all time, I have a new #1, a song I had totally forgotten about, which I rediscovered this morning, "Work That Body", by Taana Gardner. I defy you to stay in your seat while this one is playing.

I probably wouldn't.  I'd be out of my seat and heading for the exit.  :D

Sepiatone

As to these "old guy" singers-----

We're discussing this sort of thing in another forum i belong to.  Seems to be(and I know a few in my family) a growing interest in some of those guys and the music and songs they sang among some millennials lately.  Some attribute it to the plethora of "over the hill' pop/rock stars that jumped on the "American Songbook" bandwagon.  Like Rod Stewart for example.  Including TONY BENNETT's foray into doing duets with LADY GA-GA.  Now, they want to hear them done by some others from "back then" that helped make those songs famous.  Now, I can't remember which one it was, but my 35 year old nephew( at that time, he's in his 40's now) and his wife had some early PERRY COMO song played for their  Bridal dance at their wedding.

Goes to prove that a good song is a good song and will live forever.  No matter which way the winds of the market blow.

Sepiatone

The Great American Songbook album seems to be the last hope

of older rockers who no longer sell many records in their original

style. Metallica in a Mellow Mathis Mood. Yikes. These now old time

crooners seem to come back into vogue every decade or so. I

don't know how many revivals the Rat Pack has had over the years,

both their music and their adolescent booze and broads lifestyle.

Whatever. 

Yeah, but you gotta admit....

It's hard to get in and maintain the "mood" to JA RULE and Kanye. ;)

Sepiatone

Sep--

This thread is about rock and any legitimate genre of music somebody wants to talk about.

Rap or anything to do with rap doesn't belong on this thread in any way, shape or form.

Sep--

This thread is about rock and any legitimate genre of music somebody wants to talk about.

Rap or anything to do with rap doesn't belong on this thread in any way, shape or form.

Yeah, but if I had MY way, it wouldn't even be on the RADIO.

My comment was, if you read all the preceding carefully, a commentary as to WHY the musical forms we were discussing prior was making some small yet growing inroads into the interests of some millennials lately.  Like the Como song picked by my nephew and his new bride to dance to at their wedding.  Or my niece, an admitted HUGE GA-GA fan, now asks her grandfather to let her borrow some of HIS CD reissues of old BENNETT, SINATRA,  COMO and  ANDY WILLIAMS LPs, due to Bennett's work with Ga-Ga.  She LOVES that music now.  And SHE'S only SEVENTEEN! 

sepiatone

• Like 1

Yeah, but if I had MY way, it wouldn't even be on the RADIO.

My comment was, if you read all the preceding carefully, a commentary as to WHY the musical forms we were discussing prior was making some small yet growing inroads into the interests of some millennials lately. Like the Como song picked by my nephew and his new bride to dance to at their wedding. Or my niece, an admitted HUGE GA-GA fan, now asks her grandfather to let her borrow some of HIS CD reissues of old BENNETT, SINATRA, COMO and ANDY WILLIAMS LPs, due to Bennett's work with Ga-Ga. She LOVES that music now. And SHE'S only SEVENTEEN!

sepiatone

Well I do have my way with any radio that I own or anything that is in the vicinity of me. I never listen to that kind of stuff because I don't have to be around it.

I can understand that young people like whatever is going on that's new and popular - -But I don't really understand why they use that sort of stuff in commercials that everyone has to listen to.

So now you know why the mute buttons on my remotes are always worn out!

• Like 1

Well I do have my way with any radio that I own or anything that is in the vicinity of me. I never listen to that kind of stuff because I don't have to be around it.

I can understand that young people like whatever is going on that's new and popular - -But I don't really understand why they use that sort of stuff in commercials that everyone has to listen to.

So now you know why the mute buttons on my remotes are always worn out!

I can imagine.  That's also why I like preset buttons on my stereo reciever and car radio.  Even on stations I prefer there's times they spin something I don't care for, and sometimes it looks more like I'm punching numbers on a push-button phone I'm searching so desperately for a station with something ON.  :D

Sepiatone

Ok, I'll compromise. I'll listen to Chuck Berry's "Roll Over Beethoven".

Seriously, I just listened to Howard Hanson's Romantic Symphony, that would be his Symphony Number 2.

They illegally used some of this music in the movie Alien, but being a nice guy he didn't sue them.

Just listen to this beautiful classical music and I think you will truly enjoy yourself!