Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I Saw A Deadhead Sticker on a Cadillac-- Don't Look Back

Princess of Tap

Tommy is a nice project-- but all I want to hear is The Who doing Who Are You?

All 6 minutes and 20 seconds. Over and over and over again

That's the opening theme for the original CSI: Crime Scene Investigation tv series - one of the rare network shows I liked. I do not care for the spin-offs.

My favorite Who song is Eminence Front

Since we're naming names, my favorites are mostly on the Who's Next album: "Bargain", "Baba O'Reilly", "Won't Get Fooled Again", "Behind Blue Eyes", etc.

But I like most of their stuff. From "I Can't Explain" to "Eminence Front".

• Like 3

My favorites are "See Me, Feel Me", "I'm Free" and "I Can See for Miles and Miles"

When I bought The Who's double album Tommy, Pinball Wizard was my favorite. I listened to the whole opera at least twice each night after school. Then I found Santana III, and that blew me away - still my favorite album.

• Like 2

When I bought The Who's double album Tommy, Pinball Wizard was my favorite. I listened to the whole opera at least twice each night after school. Then I found Santana III, and that blew me away - still my favorite album.

I used to hear a lot of Santana but I couldn't get into them so much. I can listen to their music, though, no problem.

I used to hear a lot of Santana but I couldn't get into them so much. I can listen to their music, though, no problem.

I've never heard it.  :(

It's not themed like an opera, but it moves from start to finish in similar fashion. IMO, it's best to listen to the studio version from start to finish with no interruptions - live versions are not as polished, lacking the finesse of Neal Schon and Carlos Santana's excellent interplay on their respective guitars.

This is the album cover

7kl7UQN.jpg

• Like 2

I love the Elton John version of "Pinball Wizard" and who doesn't love those fabulous boots he wears in Tommy?

I agree though, that the Tommy album is excellent.  I also like Quadrophenia.

• Like 3

'Twas me.  "The Sound of Silence" has been my favorite song of all time, over any other song I'm aware of, for a number of years.  

Yes, I am not as much of a fan of Simon's solo work because the lyrics aren't so introspective.  "You Can Call Me Al" is a cute tune, but not on a par with "A Poem on the Underground Wall", or "My Little Town", as just two examples.  I think "Mother and Child Reunion" shows more of the "deep" Simon (as said, I love that song).

S&G are one of my favorite all-time bands, but I can't say they are number one.  I don't have a number one for that...

I love "The Sound of Silence" too.  I like Simon and Garfunkle more than I like Paul Simon's solo work.  I also like "Bridge Over Troubled Water." 

I love "The Sound of Silence" too. I like Simon and Garfunkle more than I like Paul Simon's solo work. I also like "Bridge Over Troubled Water."

For me, "Bridge" is like "Turn, Turn, Turn" by The Byrds: I've heard these songs so many times over so many years that I just can't listen to them anymore. They are no longer 'fresh', to say the least.

The Byrds is another of my all-time favorite bands. Where do I even start with them? Mr. Tambourine Man, Eight Miles High, The Bells of Rhymney, John Riley... and that's just scratching the surface. Their lyrics have the depth of Simon and Garfunkel's own, but I know many of the Byrds' songs are Bob Dylan originals.

• Like 1

For me, "Bridge" is like "Turn, Turn, Turn" by The Byrds: I've heard these songs so many times over so many years that I just can't listen to them anymore. They are no longer 'fresh', to say the least.

The Byrds is another of my all-time favorite bands. Where do I even start with them? Mr. Tambourine Man, Eight Miles High, The Bells of Rhymney, John Riley... and that's just scratching the surface. Their lyrics have the depth of Simon and Garfunkel's own, but I know many of the Byrds' songs are Bob Dylan originals.

My "secret" Byrds favorite song is one that nobody mentions--

( please let me love you and)-- " It Won't Be Wrong" it's a succinct, concise perfect song. The Byrds were better than most of the British Invasion groups--

I put them someplace between the Rolling Stones and The Hollies. Being a tap dancer, I always judge groups by the drummer. Think of how many lead singers are drummers.

Have you ever known a group that was great that had a drummer who was bad or even mediocre?

Michael Clarke was good, very good.

My "secret" Byrds favorite song is one that nobody mentions--

( please let me love you and)-- " It Won't Be Wrong" it's a succinct, concisr perfect song. The Byrds were better than most of the British Invasion groups--

I put them someplace between the Rolling Stones and The Hollies. Being a tap dancer, I always judge groups by the drummer. Think of how many lead singers are drummers.

Have you ever known a group that was great that had a drummer who was bad or even mediocre?

Michael Clarke was good, very good.

Yes, love that song as well! I love at least as many songs of theirs as The Beatles.

Also like the odd line in the alternate version of "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue": 'All your reindeer armies, they are going home.'

That's the opening theme for the original CSI: Crime Scene Investigation tv series - one of the rare network shows I liked. I do not care for the spin-offs.

My favorite Who song is Eminence Front

I agree. My favorite is also 'Eminence Front". Next are "Bargain", "Slip Kid", "I Can See for Miles", "Magic Bus", and "Who Are You".

Certain acts can be thought of together. Jefferson Airplane and Cream have a similar sound. Any other pairings?

???

Hydrogen peroxide will help that HEARING problem you seem to have there, DGF.

SWEETWATER, which was, and not Ritchie Havens, the first performers to hit the stage at WOODSTOCK, had a closer "sound" to Airplane's than CREAM ever did.

The great thing about that time period( later 1960's) was that most bands have QUIT sounding and looking a lot alike back then.  Not until the '80's did musical artists return to mostly looking and sounding alike.

Now, I don't know if this "copycat" stuff started earlier, like I don't know of anyone ever having been groomed to be a SINATRA copy, like in the '50's CONWAY TWITTY and a few others were being groomed by their labels to be ELVIS copycats, and how many BEATLE look and sound alikes were there?  (The KNICKERBOCKERS were probably the best of the lot, but STILL "one hit wonders".)

Anyway, the big deal by the late '60's wasn't a drive to SOUND like anybody else, but it seemed the weirder tha NAME of the band, meant hopefully more success.  And there were trends in that respect too.

Ringo, in the Beatle's ANTHOLOGY tapes, refers to how the name for the LP SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND came up was that at THAT time in the music industry, there were a large number of bands coming up with what Ringo described as, "Band names that were whole sentences"  like DR. JEREMIAH MODRECAI'S TRAVELLING SNAKE OIL BAND and crap like that( Dr. Mordecai being just an example, and NOT an actual band).  So the name SGT. PEPPER etc. was kind of poking fun of all that.

Take for instance, VANILLA FUDGE, which was obviously a band of white guys homogenizing soul and Motown classics.  Other names I mentioned before, like ULTIMATE SPINACH and THE GREAT PEANUT BUTTER CONSPIRACY.  Then of course, MOBY GRAPE.  A good band yes, but they probably figured the oddball name wouldn't hurt.

Yeah, the '60's WERE a strange time, but I miss it!  ;)

Sepiatone