Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I Saw A Deadhead Sticker on a Cadillac-- Don't Look Back

Princess of Tap

Seriously, I just listened to Howard Hanson's Romantic Symphony, that would be his Symphony Number 2.

They illegally used some of this music in the movie Alien, but being a nice guy he didn't sue them.

Just listen to this beautiful classical music and I think you will truly enjoy yourself!

Give it up Princess.  "Fra" would warm up better to something with the same monotonous tempo over and over and over and...

Like DISCO.

If ANYTHING, he might be a candidate for Ravel's BOLERO.  And incidentally, ...

Beethoven's 5th runs only a short 35 minutes on average.

Hansons music has too many changes of tempo and direction and most is paced  at a rate that's probably hard to "spin" to.  But, it is DAMNED beautiful music.  I'm with ya 500% on that Princess.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

How about this....

If "Fra" agrees to at least listen to ELO's cover of "Roll Over Beethoven"?  He'll at least get to hear some of the 5th in that.

Like it or not, he hears classical music in almost any quarter.  Aspirin commercials.  Cereal commercials.  Even snatches of PROKOFIEV's "Peter and The Wolf" in the backgound in A CHRISTMAS STORY(along with some of Ferde Grofe's "Grand Canyon Suite").  Even cell phone RINGTONES.

Or, HAS he forgotten  "A FIFTH OF BEETHOVEN"?  Disco's desecration of the great master's work?

Hey, I had to bump this up with SOMETHING!  B)

Sepiatone

How about this....

If "Fra" agrees to at least listen to ELO's cover of "Roll Over Beethoven"?  He'll at least get to hear some of the 5th in that.

Like it or not, he hears classical music in almost any quarter.  Aspirin commercials.  Cereal commercials.  Even snatches of PROKOFIEV's "Peter and The Wolf" in the backgound in A CHRISTMAS STORY(along with some of Ferde Grofe's "Grand Canyon Suite").  Even cell phone RINGTONES.

Or, HAS he forgotten  "A FIFTH OF BEETHOVEN"?  Disco's desecration of the great master's work?

Hey, I had to bump this up with SOMETHING!  B)

Sepiatone

Whenever a commercial comes on, I change the channel.

Give it up Princess.  "Fra" would warm up better to something with the same monotonous tempo over and over and over and...

Like DISCO.

If ANYTHING, he might be a candidate for Ravel's BOLERO.  And incidentally, ...

Beethoven's 5th runs only a short 35 minutes on average.

Hansons music has too many changes of tempo and direction and most is paced  at a rate that's probably hard to "spin" to.  But, it is DAMNED beautiful music.  I'm with ya 500% on that Princess.

Sepiatone

When I was a kid, there was a bowling alley called the Bowlero a block away. I guess the owner was a classical music fan.

How about this....

If "Fra" agrees to at least listen to ELO's cover of "Roll Over Beethoven"? He'll at least get to hear some of the 5th in that.

Like it or not, he hears classical music in almost any quarter. Aspirin commercials. Cereal commercials. Even snatches of PROKOFIEV's "Peter and The Wolf" in the backgound in A CHRISTMAS STORY(along with some of Ferde Grofe's "Grand Canyon Suite"). Even cell phone RINGTONES.

Or, HAS he forgotten "A FIFTH OF BEETHOVEN"? Disco's desecration of the great master's work?

Hey, I had to bump this up with SOMETHING! B)

Sepiatone

I really liked A Fifth of Beethoven. It was not only a good arrangement but also very educational.

Does anybody remember Huntley and Brinkley on NBC. I used to love their theme song. Of course I had no idea what it was-- years later I found out it was the first movement of Beethoven's 9th Symphony.

In just a few decades American television has sadly gone from Beethoven's Ninth Symphony and Leonard Bernstein discussing Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf to the Advent of the white trash shows of boo-boo and Duck Dynasty.

But it does make a lot of sense if you're going to elect somebody like Donald Trump president-- that's the level your society and your culture should be on.... the lowest level.

I really liked A Fifth of Beethoven. It was not only a good arrangement but also very educational.

Does anybody remember Huntley and Brinkley on NBC. I used to love their theme song. Of course I had no idea what it was-- years later I found out it was the first movement of Beethoven's 9th Symphony.

In just a few decades American television has sadly gone from Beethoven's Ninth Symphony and Leonard Bernstein discussing Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf to the Advent of the white trash shows of boo-boo and Duck Dynasty.

But it does make a lot of sense if you're going to elect somebody like Donald Trump president-- that's the level your society and your culture should be on.... the lowest level.

I'm with ya except for that last line there....

We DON'T need another thread haplessly turned into ANOTHER Trump discussion.  But too, I'm sort of uncomfortable with the term "white trash" no matter HOW accurate.  Those people can live any way they wish.  It's the  exploitation of their fecklessness into a celebration  of it I find objectionable.

I wasn't aware of the Huntley-Brinkley thing. In our house we always tuned into CRONKITE.  ;)

Sepiatone

• 2 weeks later...

The biggest injustice in rock history may have been that Squeeze never became a superstar act. One great song after another-------"Pulling Mussels From a Shell", "Another Nail in My Heart", "Annie Get Your Gun", "Goodbye Girl", "Take Me I'm Yours", "Is That Love", and on and on.

Couldn't agree more DGF.  My favorite of theirs is TEMPTED.  Wonder why you left it out?  That and BLACK COFFEE IN BED.

Sepiatone

Not every band, however talented, become superstars.

One of my favorite Squeeze songs is Labelled With Love.

Tres poignant. I like 10cc a lot but they too never became

superstars. Edgar Winter had no problem with the phrase

white trash. :)

Not every band, however talented, become superstars.

One of my favorite Squeeze songs is Labelled With Love.

Tres poignant. I like 10cc a lot but they too never became

superstars. Edgar Winter had no problem with the phrase

white trash. :)

Er...................Did that mean you LIKED or DIDN'T like Edgar Winter's White Trash?  :blink:

Sepiatone

Couldn't agree more DGF.  My favorite of theirs is TEMPTED.  Wonder why you left it out?  That and BLACK COFFEE IN BED.

Sepiatone

I DON'T like either Tempted or Black Coffee in Bed. I like only Squeeze's upbeat stuff.  Incidentally, we've several times discussed Burt Bacharach's songs. We never mentioned B.J. Thomas's "Long Ago Tomorrow" and "Everybody's Out of Town". Both are better than "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head".

I DON'T like either Tempted or Black Coffee in Bed. I like only Squeeze's upbeat stuff. Incidentally, we've several times discussed Burt Bacharach's songs. We never mentioned B.J. Thomas's "Long Ago Tomorrow" and "Everybody's Out of Town". Both are better than "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head".

I saw the Burt Bacharach-Hal David Broadway show Promises, Promises starring Jerry Orbach. I think the songs that they wrote for that show are among the best work they ever did.

For those who may not know, Promises, Promises is a musical version of Billy Wilder's The Apartment.

Jerry Orbach was a fantastic singer and really could handle the material very well. Of course, Dionne Warwick made a recording of all those great songs from the show, but only one song with quirky lyrics became a hit-- I'll Never Fall in Love Again.

Besides the great title number, two other great songs were: Knowing When To Leave and Wanting Things.

I thought it rather tongue in cheek due to them all BEING white guys, especially EDGAR who is Albino.  ;)

But, give them a listen.  Their cover of "Tobacco Road" is one of the better ones.

Sepiatone

Yeah, I'm sure they didn't mean it very seriously. 

I saw the Burt Bacharach-Hal David Broadway show Promises, Promises starring Jerry Orbach. I think the songs that they wrote for that show are among the best work they ever did.

For those who may not know, Promises, Promises is a musical version of Billy Wilder's The Apartment.

Jerry Orbach was a fantastic singer and really could handle the material very well. Of course, Dionne Warwick made a recording of all those great songs from the show, but only one song with quirky lyrics became a hit-- I'll Never Fall in Love Again.

Besides the great title number, two other great songs were: Knowing When To Leave and Wanting Things.

How about "I'll Never Fall in Love Again"?

You have to remember that band names are usually intended to catch attention somehow.  If they can be the slightest bit funny, or  amusing, it helps.

Like, how about the band that called themselves  MORNINGWOOD?  ;)

Sepiatone

They could do a cover of Come Together. A good name for a band

can help, though Winter made his most popular album,They Only Come

Out at Night, using the rather pedestrian name of The Edgar Winter Band.

• Like 1

They could do a cover of Come Together. A good name for a band

can help, though Winter made his most popular album,They Only Come

Out at Night, using the rather pedestrian name of The Edgar Winter Band.

Well Winter was the frontman and already well known, so it didn't matter.

And some can be misleading or otherwise ambiguous.  Like, NObody in that one band was named  JETHRO TULL.   And after learning WHAT "Steely Dan" WAS, you had to wonder WHY they took that name. ;)

The "basement band" I was in during the '60's changed names by the month.  Of the ones I remember, my favorites were:

HEADCHEESE HUNTERS

SKIDMARK

MAGIC LAMP

POST-NATAL DRIP  (a play on words used by a bandmate's older brother who paraphrased a well known phrase from a nasal decongestant commercial to describe the agonizingly long menstral period after a woman gives birth.  He coined it after his wife gave birth to his first-born) 

TEMPUS FUGIT (borrowed from the lead guitarist's grandfather clock)

Sepiatone

Well Winter was the frontman and already well known, so it didn't matter.

And some can be misleading or otherwise ambiguous.  Like, NObody in that one band was named  JETHRO TULL.   And after learning WHAT "Steely Dan" WAS, you had to wonder WHY they took that name. ;)

The "basement band" I was in during the '60's changed names by the month.  Of the ones I remember, my favorites were:

HEADCHEESE HUNTERS

SKIDMARK

MAGIC LAMP

POST-NATAL DRIP  (a play on words used by a bandmate's older brother who paraphrased a well known phrase from a nasal decongestant commercial to describe the agonizingly long menstral period after a woman gives birth.  He coined it after his wife gave birth to his first-born) 

TEMPUS FUGIT (borrowed from the lead guitarist's grandfather clock)

Sepiatone

I'll bet that by now just about every name has been taken by one

garage band or another. Think how many thousands of people

now know who the very late Jethro Tull was who would have had

no idea before. I suppose Becker and Fagen got a kick out of

naming their band after a *****.

I'll bet that by now just about every name has been taken by one

garage band or another. Think how many thousands of people

now know who the very late Jethro Tull was who would have had

no idea before. I suppose Becker and Fagen got a kick out of

naming their band after a ****. 

Not many bands are named after *******.

• 2 months later...

In talking about the girl groups, I don't think we mentioned the Shangri-Las-------"Leader of the Pack", "Remember (Walking in the Sand)", "Give Him a Great Big Kiss". Good stuff.

I've got a big photo glossy girl groups book--and it says that these girls didn't just sing about it that they were the real deal. So it didn't end very well for them.