Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I Saw A Deadhead Sticker on a Cadillac-- Don't Look Back

• 2 weeks later...

I think the lead singer's name was Mary Weiss.

I've been updating myself on post-1990 rock artists. The well-known group that really stands out for me is Queens of the Stone Age. Does anyone have any opinion about them? I think they're great.

I've been updating myself on post-1990 rock artists. The well-known group that really stands out for me is Queens of the Stone Age. Does anyone have any opinion about them? I think they're great.

They are excellent. I saw them live back in the early 00's. The band's singer and lead guitarist, Josh Homme, had been in an alt-rock band in the 1980's/90's named Kyuss, which a few people I knew listened to, and so when Queens came about, they listened to that, as well. It's low-hanging fruit, but I like "No One Knows" and "Go with the Flow".

They're passable.  I don't think of them as "great", but certainly better than LINKIN PARK and NICKLEBACK.

But my favorite post '90 rock bands are---

LIVE

OUR LADY PEACE

The OFFSPRING

SILVERCHAIR

FOLK IMPLOSION

The FLAMING LIPS

Sepiatone

They're passable.  I don't think of them as "great", but certainly better than LINKIN PARK and NICKLEBACK.

But my favorite post '90 rock bands are---

LIVE

OUR LADY PEACE

The OFFSPRING

SILVERCHAIR

FOLK IMPLOSION

The FLAMING LIPS

Sepiatone

The only one I know is Offspring. "Come Out and Play" is great. Three more good ones I recently discovered are  the Gin Blossoms,Jimmy Eat World and Kittie, a female metal band,

LIVE

OUR LADY PEACE

The OFFSPRING

SILVERCHAIR

FOLK IMPLOSION

The FLAMING LIPS

The only one I know is Offspring. "Come Out and Play" is great. Three more good ones I recently discovered are  the Gin Blossoms,Jimmy Eat World and Kittie, a female metal band,

I like a few of Live's early songs. I knew a drummer who was crazy about them, and claimed the drummer from Live was the best in the business. Not likely.

I thought the rest of the groups Sepia listed were garbage, with the exception of Folk Implosion, who I don't think I've heard. I really despised Silverchair and Our Lady Peace. The Offspring had been around for a long time (since '84) before "Come Out and Play" in 1994 made them commercial. 

As for DGF's list, Gin Blossoms and Jimmy Eat World were dreadful. Gin Blossoms in particular I considered one of the worst rock bands of the period. But every group has its fans. Kittie was fun in a novelty sort of way, but listening to an entire album at once was a chore. I also saw them live, in their early days. 

Another all-girl heavy metal band of the period was Drain STH, although they were more melodic than Kittie. They put on a great show, but their music was rather generic. 

I like a few of Live's early songs. I knew a drummer who was crazy about them, and claimed the drummer from Live was the best in the business. Not likely.

I thought the rest of the groups Sepia listed were garbage, with the exception of Folk Implosion, who I don't think I've heard. I really despised Silverchair and Our Lady Peace. The Offspring had been around for a long time (since '84) before "Come Out and Play" in 1994 made them commercial. 

As for DGF's list, Gin Blossoms and Jimmy Eat World were dreadful. Gin Blossoms in particular I considered one of the worst rock bands of the period. But every group has its fans. Kittie was fun in a novelty sort of way, but listening to an entire album at once was a chore. I also saw them live, in their early days. 

Another all-girl heavy metal band of the period was Drain STH, although they were more melodic than Kittie. They put on a great show, but their music was rather generic. 

Speaking of garbage, Garbage is pretty good.

Speaking of all girl bands from that period, a couple I haven't heard from for a while, but who were good( though not "great") and I mostly liked the band's NAMES, are---

ZuZu's PETALS  and VERUCA SALT.  ;)

For FOLK IMPLOSION, YouTube a song called "Natural One"  , the one I like best from them.

We all like the bands and artists we do for various and personal reasons and dissmissing  some are just subjective to begin with.  I don't like however, and never DID like SMASHING PUMPKINS with BILLY CORGAN's "Zippy the pinhead" persona.  But a lot of people DO, so it's no matter what anybody says.  The bands YOU like I might NOT, but I'm not going to pass judgement on the quality of their music only to say that it's not my "cuppa",  nor insist that the bands I like are BETTER than the ones YOU like simply because  I like them.

But anyway, as much as i LIKE Live, I can't agree with the "best drummer" thing either.  He keeps the beat and does his job is all.

Sepiatone

Speaking of all girl bands from that period, a couple I haven't heard from for a while, but who were good( though not "great") and I mostly liked the band's NAMES, are---

For FOLK IMPLOSION, YouTube a song called "Natural One"  , the one I like best from them.

We all like the bands and artists we do for various and personal reasons and dissmissing  some are just subjective to begin with.  I don't like however, and never DID like SMASHING PUMPKINS with BILLY CORGAN's "Zippy the pinhead" persona.  But a lot of people DO, so it's no matter what anybody says.  The bands YOU like I might NOT, but I'm not going to pass judgement on the quality of their music only to say that it's not my "cuppa",  nor insist that the bands I like are BETTER than the ones YOU like simply because  I like them.

But anyway, as much as i LIKE Live, I can't agree with the "best drummer" thing either.  He keeps the beat and does his job is all.

Sepiatone

I think the Smashing Pumpkins are good............ In general, '80s alternative was better than '90s or 2000s.

I was hoping you wouldn't take my dismissal of some your listed groups as a personal attack. That the "garbage" sobriquet was my opinion should go without saying. I like plenty of bands and artists that others hate. I like Smashing Pumpkins, although I prefer their first album, before Corgan shaved his head and became Zippy (your comment made me LOL).

I don't think I know ZuZu's Petals, either.  Veruca Salt had a big hit with "Seether".

And I did know that Folk Implosion song...I just never knew who performed it! I like it, too. 

Some other 90's one-hits that I like:

Spacehog "In the Meantime"

Blur "Song 2"

The Breeders  "Cannonball"

Catherine Wheel  "Black Metallic"

Cracker  "Low"

Filter  "Hey Man, Nice Shot"

The Flys  "Got You (Where I Want You)"

Guano Apes  "Open Your Eyes"

Incubus  "Pardon Me"

James  "Say Something"

Jawbox  "Savory"

Luscious Jackson  "Naked Eye"

Monster Magnet  "Space Lord"

Republica  "Ready to Go"

Sneaker Pimps  "6 Underground"

The Toadies  "Possum Kingdom"

Vast  "Touched"

The Verve  "Bittersweet Symphony"

Whale  "Hobo Humpin' Slobo Babe"

I was hoping you wouldn't take my dismissal of some your listed groups as a personal attack. That the "garbage" sobriquet was my opinion should go without saying. I like plenty of bands and artists that others hate. I like Smashing Pumpkins, although I prefer their first album, before Corgan shaved his head and became Zippy (your comment made me LOL).

I don't think I know ZuZu's Petals, either.  Veruca Salt had a big hit with "Seether".

And I did know that Folk Implosion song...I just never knew who performed it! I like it, too. 

Some other 90's one-hits that I like:

Spacehog "In the Meantime"

Blur "Song 2"

The Breeders  "Cannonball"

Catherine Wheel  "Black Metallic"

Cracker  "Low"

Filter  "Hey Man, Nice Shot"

The Flys  "Got You (Where I Want You)"

Guano Apes  "Open Your Eyes"

Incubus  "Pardon Me"

James  "Say Something"

Jawbox  "Savory"

Luscious Jackson  "Naked Eye"

Monster Magnet  "Space Lord"

Republica  "Ready to Go"

Sneaker Pimps  "6 Underground"

The Toadies  "Possum Kingdom"

Vast  "Touched"

The Verve  "Bittersweet Symphony"

Whale  "Hobo Humpin' Slobo Babe"

Paula Cole's "Where Have All the Cowboys Gone?"

I'm starting to explore 2000s alternative. Thus far, the best groups appear to be the Strokes, Bloc Party, and Franz Ferdinand. Of course, there's also the Black Keys, with whom I'm already quite familiar.

I don't know Bloc Party. I know the other three. My music knowledge pretty much ended with the year 2000, although I try out some new groups/performers on occasion. The only bands from 2000 to now that I know much about and like, are The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The White Stripes, and Ladytron.

I don't know Bloc Party. I know the other three. My music knowledge pretty much ended with the year 2000, although I try out some new groups/performers on occasion. The only bands from 2000 to now that I know much about and like, are The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The White Stripes, and Ladytron.

"Seven Nation Army" is good. Aside from that, I don't like the White Stripes' stuff.

Question-----If I like the Strokes and Queens of the Stone Age, what's the best way to answer the question, "Which groups are most similar to them?"

Don't know, don't care.  But if the "biz" hasn't really changed, you can bet that the more SALES (concert or otherwise) either group generates, the more groups that are similar will crop up.  As idividuality seems to be a lost concept on millennials and society in general, that individuality in the music realm is also dissipated.

A guitar player forum I belong to has a newer member who hails from China, and claims to be familiar with "Western" music only as it relates to it's influence on Chinese popular music.  He recently posed the question, "What is rock'n'roll?"  .  The debate and discussion has been quite lively.  And so far, a clear and definitive answer has been like nailing Jell-o to a wall.  We've gone all through it's history, the claims of where it started, and WHO started it, and everybody is learning so much that wasn't before considered that actually defining  the genre is even MORE enigmatic.  We're now at a point that Louis Armstrong's response to the question, "What is JAZZ?"  seems fitting.  You know....."If you have to ask, you'll NEVER know!"  ;)

Sepiatone

Don't know, don't care.  But if the "biz" hasn't really changed, you can bet that the more SALES (concert or otherwise) either group generates, the more groups that are similar will crop up.  As idividuality seems to be a lost concept on millennials and society in general, that individuality in the music realm is also dissipated.

A guitar player forum I belong to has a newer member who hails from China, and claims to be familiar with "Western" music only as it relates to it's influence on Chinese popular music.  He recently posed the question, "What is rock'n'roll?"  .  The debate and discussion has been quite lively.  And so far, a clear and definitive answer has been like nailing Jell-o to a wall.  We've gone all through it's history, the claims of where it started, and WHO started it, and everybody is learning so much that wasn't before considered that actually defining  the genre is even MORE enigmatic.  We're now at a point that Louis Armstrong's response to the question, "What is JAZZ?"  seems fitting.  You know....."If you have to ask, you'll NEVER know!"  ;)

Sepiatone

I'm trying to increase my awareness of songs I might really like from post-2000 alt rock, and finding groups similar to these two seems to be the most efficient way of doing it.

Doesn't Amazon still have a thing that will match musical or

book tastes? If you ordered/liked the Boho Boys and the

Temperamental Raccoons, you will like the Sheep Shearers.

• Like 2

I'm trying to increase my awareness of songs I might really like from post-2000 alt rock, and finding groups similar to these two seems to be the most efficient way of doing it.

Not really.  That would be like trying to increase your awareness of the "British Invasion"  by listening to "similar" groups like The Dave Clark Five or Gerry And The Pacemakers, because they were similar only in that they all wore the same suits and haircuts as The Beatles, and tried to copy their sound.  But everybody knew the BIG difference anyway....

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Not really.  That would be like trying to increase your awareness of the "British Invasion"  by listening to "similar" groups like The Dave Clark Five or Gerry And The Pacemakers, because they were similar only in that they all wore the same suits and haircuts as The Beatles, and tried to copy their sound.  But everybody knew the BIG difference anyway....

Sepiatone

I've tried going through playlists that people have posted on youtube, but in general they are badly done.

Doesn't Amazon still have a thing that will match musical or

book tastes? If you ordered/liked the Boho Boys and the

Temperamental Raccoons, you will like the Sheep Shearers.

Ah.  You mean their thing that goes....

"People who bought THIS also liked...."  and then lists a few things that in MY case were things that didn't interest me at all.

Sepiatone