Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I Saw A Deadhead Sticker on a Cadillac-- Don't Look Back

Princess of Tap

I never saw RARE EARTH live, bu only based on their live LP, I can only say Vanilla Fudge had a far better guitarist.  But in all other aspects, Rare Earth SMOKED 'em!

And as far as DGF's backpedalling with his "bands being togeter should have EQUAL FAME", well, he wasn't TALKING about level of fame originally, he was referring to their SOUNDS.  And if anyone recalls, almost ALL of them bands back in those times ahd "equal fame".

Sepiatone

In looking at the sub-genre of acid rock in wiki, the 4 best known acts classified in that sub-genre are Hendrix, the Doors, the Airplane, and Cream. The Doors are obviously very different, leaving Hendrix, the Airplane, and Cream grouped together. Are we having fun yet? Incidentally the Elevatiors are listed as a principal pioneer of acid rock. This appears to be my favorite subgenre at this time. Thank you, Princess.

They were influenced by Cream after "Pillow". Both groups used vocal harmonies, and both had psychedelic sounding guitar and bass lines.

I'm sure quite a few groups of the time used vocal harmonies

and had psychedelic sounding guitar and bass lines. That

hardly makes two groups similar. I don't know about the music,

but Starship was a more successful group in terms of units sold.

Look at my latest post about acid rock. I'm going to win this one if it kills me.

• Like 1

The Airplane is legendary. The Starship is not. And you know it.

• Like 1

Look at my latest post about acid rock. I'm going to win this one if it kills me.

And if you look at the list of bands that come up,

there are quite a few besides Airplane and Cream.

Pink Floyd, the Dead, Big Brother, and many more.

I had forgotten about the Dead's Anthem of the Sun

album from 1968. Very far out man. Much different

from the traditional song structures of Workingman's

Dead and American Beauty.

And if you look at the list of bands that come up,

there are quite a few besides Airplane and Cream.

Pink Floyd, the Dead, Big Brother, and many more.

I had forgotten about the Dead's Anthem of the Sun

album from 1968. Very far out man. Much different

from the traditional song structures of Workingman's

Dead and American Beauty.

Pink Floyd's stuff was in general slower tempo than the others. Big Brother was basically Joplin.  As for the Dead, you made my argument for me. The rest of the "many more" weren't as successful.

Pink Floyd's stuff was in general slower tempo than the others. Big Brother was basically Joplin.  As for the Dead, you made my argument for me. The rest of the "many more" weren't as successful.

..and you must be looking at a different list. The Dead weren't on the "Acid Rock" list on Wiki.

Floyd were still psychedelic/acid rock. The Dead played p/a rock

in the late 1960s before they switched to a more traditional

sound in the early 1970s. Whatever the degree of success,

these bands were still p/a rockers. Outside of their second

album, the Airplane weren't all that successful either.

..and you must be looking at a different list. The Dead weren't on the "Acid Rock" list on Wiki.

There are a number of lists on the net. They are mentioned in

the Wiki Psychedelic Rock entry and as being an acid rock

band on other sites.

Janis Joplin--

I don't know if this is a national listing or not but my local PBS station is showing Janis Joplin tonight on the American Masters series.

From time to time I've seen a number of actors and singers from Hollywood as well as rock-and-roll artists on this series.

I may have been one of the few students in the 1960s who didn't have to read Catcher in the Rye. But I did watch the one that they did on JD Salinger. There was some kind of a Hollywood connection with it with references to Charlie Chaplin--that's probably why I started watching it.

It seems like the last rock artist that they did was Lou Reed. I also remember an interesting one on Neil Young. 4 years back they did, it seems like a two-parter, it was so big, on Bob Dylan.

There are a number of lists on the net. They are mentioned in

the Wiki Psychedelic Rock entry and as being an acid rock

band on other sites.

..and neither is Pink Floyd. Both the Dead and Pink Floyd peaked after the '60s, and the "acid rock" era was really in the late '60s.

I like Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, and Iron Butterfly.

But I don't know that much about this kind of music. I'm going to ask a question that may sound stupid but this is not my specialty.

What's the difference between psychedelic rock and roll and Acid Rock?

Where does heavy metal play into all of this.

I hope my questions we're not entirely stupid?

I like Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, and Iron Butterfly.

But I don't know that much about this kind of music. I'm going to ask a question that may sound stupid but this is not my specialty.

What's the difference between psychedelic rock and roll and Acid Rock?

Where does heavy metal play into all of this.

I hope my questions we're not entirely stupid?

Acid Rock is a specific sub-genre. Psychedlelic is not, but would be a much broader classification. Songs such as "Incense and Peppermints" and "If You're Going to San Francisco" would be considered psychedelic, but not acid. On the other hand, all acid rock would also fall within the rubric of being psychedelic.

Acid Rock is a specific sub-genre. Psychedlelic is not, but would be a much broader classification. Songs such as "Incense and Peppermints" and "If You're Going to San Francisco" would be considered psychedelic, but not acid. On the other hand, all acid rock would also fall within the rubric of being psychedelic.

Sounds OK to me.

I'd add that "Acid-Rock" would be more a media/public designation, and not really an industry term.  It just sounded cooler to say.  But DGF's two examples don't fit "Psychedelic".  I'D offer examples like "I Had Too Much To Dream (Last Night)", or "Psychotic Reaction".

I also seem to recall at the time,  many FM DJ's and their listeners called it all( and unofficially )  "Underground-Rock"

In a hopeful addition, many music critics at the time tagged BLUE CHEER's VINCEBUS ERUPTUM  as

"SPEED-ROCK", as long as we're slapping DRUG SLANG labels on anything!  :)

In some addition to this discussion, I feel today being FRANKIE VALLI'S 82nd birthday sort of puts more perspective in the narrative than I'm prepared to deal with for now.  :wacko:

Sepiatone

FAVORITE MUSIC GROUPS + 3 solo singers:

BLACK OAK ARKANSAS - Ragged and crude Southern Rock.  Jim "Dandy" Mangrum lead singer.

FIREFALL (their first 5 albums:  "Firefall", "Luna Sea", "Élan", "Undertow" and "Clouds Across the Sun")

ABBA

JOE & BING (more "folk music" than anything)

AVERAGE WHITE BAND

THE STEVE MILLER BAND (1967-82)  I like their varied albums from "Children of the Future" to "Abracadabra".   

PAUL DAVIS (1948-2008)  Hard to believe he's been gone 8 years now.  I really liked his music. 

CHARLIE RICH (1932-1995)   

JOHN PRINE (1946-     )

I believe the first few albums from "The Steve Miller Band" would be considered 'Acid Rock':  Children of the Future, Sailor, Your Saving Grace, Number 5 and Brave New World + the 'Anthology' compilation. 

Sounds OK to me.

I'd add that "Acid-Rock" would be more a media/public designation, and not really an industry term.  It just sounded cooler to say.  But DGF's two examples don't fit "Psychedelic".  I'D offer examples like "I Had Too Much To Dream (Last Night)", or "Psychotic Reaction".

I also seem to recall at the time,  many FM DJ's and their listeners called it all( and unofficially )  "Underground-Rock"

In a hopeful addition, many music critics at the time tagged BLUE CHEER's VINCEBUS ERUPTUM  as

"SPEED-ROCK", as long as we're slapping DRUG SLANG labels on anything!  :)

In some addition to this discussion, I feel today being FRANKIE VALLI'S 82nd birthday sort of puts more perspective in the narrative than I'm prepared to deal with for now.  :wacko:

Sepiatone

You missed the point. "Psychotic Reaction" would also be considered acid rock. In fact, that song is considered one of the pioneering songs of acid rock, along with several songs by the Elevators..

I'm doing my own Battle of the Bands on youtube. The Doors v. the Airplane. Two very different successful American bands within the same sub-genre. Should be interesting.

The Doors will win.  There's no contest, for variety of songs alone. :)