Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I Saw A Deadhead Sticker on a Cadillac-- Don't Look Back

Princess of Tap

So far, going back and forth, the Airplane is winning. I'm a little surprised.

Hmm... Well, admittedly I'm not as familiar with all of Airplane's discography as with The Doors, but with the Doors - the songs vary from "Light My Fire" to "Spanish Caravan" to "L.A. Woman"...  And "The Soft Parade" is three or four songs in one, with the change of style...!

Hmm... Well, admittedly I'm not as familiar with all of Airplane's discography as with The Doors, but with the Doors - the songs vary from "Light My Fire" to "Spanish Caravan" to "L.A. Woman"...  And "The Soft Parade" is three or four songs in one, with the change of style...!

The thing that I'm noticeing, going back and forth, is the harmonizing of Grace and Balin v. the solo singing of Morrison. The former wins. The Airplane is highlighted by the guitars and Bass of Kantner, Kakounen, and Casady---the Doors by Manzarek's keyboards---again a vote for the former.

The thing that I'm noticeing, going back and forth, is the harmonizing of Grace and Balin v. the solo singing of Morrison. The former wins. The Airplane is highlighted by the guitars and Bass of Kantner, Kakounen, and Casady---the Doors by Manzarek's keyboards---again a vote for the former.

That's true - yes, a big hook for me with any band/song is the harmonizing.  Morrison had a strong voice, though...  

Another vote for The Doors by me goes to Morrison's lyric writing - bizarre but beautiful.  He was one of the greats there.

That's true - yes, a big hook for me with any band/song is the harmonizing.  Morrison had a strong voice, though...  

Another vote for The Doors by me goes to Morrison's lyric writing - bizarre but beautiful.  He was one of the greats there.

By all means, look at the youtube of the Airplane performing "The Other Side of This Life" at Altamont, with Marty Balin being assaulted by the Hell's Angels at the end........Heeeeeavy. 

..and neither is Pink Floyd. Both the Dead and Pink Floyd peaked after the '60s, and the "acid rock" era was really in the late '60s.

Well the Dead played acid rock in the late 1960s and then made

a rather abrupt transition to a more traditional, countryish type

of music in the early 1970s. Pink Floyd played some acid rock

in the late 1960s and then calmed down a bit and became

tremendously popular in 1973. Neither band can help it if

they became much more successful than most acid rock

bands. That's show biz. I think this psychedelic/acid rock

thing is sometimes a bit of hair splitting.

Clapton has the Doors running for their lives, Jack Bruce is

taking apart the Airplane, and Ginger Baker is just waiting

around by his drum kit just in case.

By all means, look at the youtube of the Airplane performing "The Other Side of This Life" at Altamont, with Marty Balin being assaulted by the Hell's Angels at the end........Heeeeeavy. 

Lol, okay, but after I get off work. ;)

The Airplane wins!. They have replaced the Doors as my second favorite rock band. Watch your back, Stones.

The Airplane wins!. They have replaced the Doors as my second favorite rock band. Watch your back, Stones.

Fra--

My favorite Stones song has always been Get off My Cloud. Is a damn good song, but it also suits my personality.

Do you have a favorite Stones song?

Fra--

My favorite Stones song has always been Get off My Cloud. Is a damn good song, but it also suits my personality.

Do you have a favorite Stones song?

My favorites are B I t c h, Jumpin Jack Flash, Street Fighting Man, and Paint it Black.

My favorites are B I t c h, Jumpin Jack Flash, Street Fighting Man, and Paint it Black.

Next to Cloud I like satisfaction, the last time, 19th nervous breakdown, start it up and paint it black

But the best song that they ever did that they didn't write that Bobby Womack wrote is it's all over now-- Brian Jones does his best work on that number.

Next to Cloud I like satisfaction, the last time, 19th nervous breakdown, start it up and paint it black

But the best song that they ever did that they didn't write that Bobby Womack wrote is it's all over now-- Brian Jones does his best work on that number.

My list of 2,400 greatest songs of all time includes 30 by the Stones. There are now 25 by the Doors and 22 by the Airplane.

Well the Dead played acid rock in the late 1960s and then made

a rather abrupt transition to a more traditional, countryish type

of music in the early 1970s. Pink Floyd played some acid rock

in the late 1960s and then calmed down a bit and became

tremendously popular in 1973. Neither band can help it if

they became much more successful than most acid rock

bands. That's show biz. I think this psychedelic/acid rock

thing is sometimes a bit of hair splitting.

That's basically what I've been trying to say.  Like for instance, I used to buy my LPs at a chain here(and now long gone) called HARMONY HOUSE.  Then there's DEARBORN MUSIC(still around) and PEACHES.  And NEITHER of them had either an "Acid rock" section, or a "Psychedelic" section or even a "Folk/Rock" section. Any of the music YOU might think fits those categories were found in the bins of the "Rock and Roll" section!

(in response to your DEAD comments, remember, JERRY GARCIA was at first, a BLUEGRASS musician!)

I also think each generation has a tenency to romanticize the music of "their" era.  Like I've noticed for years how "boomers" would always talk about how much better the music of the '60's was, and so superior to anything AFTER that decade.  But taken as a whole(from say 1960 to 1969) the decade musically was FAR more eclectic and shifted it;s musical vibe way more often and swiftly than any preceding decade.  But, it wasn't ALL "golden".

For instance, the same decade that gave us THE BEACH BOYS and THE BEATLES also gave us TOMMY ROE(oy!) and BRIAN HIGHLAND(eep!) along with CHRIS MONTEZ.  And one minute we were "groovin'  " to JOHNNY AND THE HURRICANES like they were the HEAVIEST band we EVER heard, and actually, at the time, they WERE!

The '60's also gave us ---

HE 1910 FRUITGUM COMPANY

THE OHIO EXPRESS

THE COWSILLS

THE ARCHIES

OLIVER

and, along with our beloved "Acid Rock" also ushered in what was called "Bubblegum" music.

And there were some(like my ex) who sincerely liked it.    For instance there also were many for whom THE 5th DIMENSION represented the ultimate in ethereal music presentation.  Others would rather gargle with muriatic acid.  And, a sort of comic aside---

Those "bubblegum" groups I mentioned above were taken another way.  It seemed(at the time) their largest(and evetually target)audience were "tween" and pre-adolescent kids, which prompted a buddy of mine to call it all "Starter" rock, or "training" rock!  :D

And some sands shifted.  For example, TOMMY JAMES and THE SHONDELLS, when '67's "I Think We're Alone Now" came out, was considered a pretty hip band.  But when the "light" CRIMSON AND CLOVER came out, they were no longer(to many) a "cool" band.  Just more plastic "bubblegum".  And many still never(and still DON'T) knew/know that one of rock'n'roll's premier voices, STEVE MARRIOTT, was the frontman for SMALL FACES when they put out 1967's "Itchycoo Park".  Thy only know him from HUMBLE PIE( one DAMNED fine band!), whose "HOT'N'NASTY" STILL kicks my azz!

Eh, gotta go for now---

Sepiatone

Favorite Rolling Stones songs:

Gimme Shelter

Paint It Black

Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

Sympathy for the Devil

You Can't Always Get What You Want

Play with Fire

Jumpin' Jack Flash

Tumbling Dice

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited for Language

By

That's basically what I've been trying to say.  Like for instance, I used to buy my LPs at a chain here(and now long gone) called HARMONY HOUSE.  Then there's DEARBORN MUSIC(still around) and PEACHES.  And NEITHER of them had either an "Acid rock" section, or a "Psychedelic" section or even a "Folk/Rock" section. Any of the music YOU might think fits those categories were found in the bins of the "Rock and Roll" section!

(in response to your DEAD comments, remember, JERRY GARCIA was at first, a BLUEGRASS musician!)

I also think each generation has a tenency to romanticize the music of "their" era.  Like I've noticed for years how "boomers" would always talk about how much better the music of the '60's was, and so superior to anything AFTER that decade.  But taken as a whole(from say 1960 to 1969) the decade musically was FAR more eclectic and shifted it;s musical vibe way more often and swiftly than any preceding decade.  But, it wasn't ALL "golden".

For instance, the same decade that gave us THE BEACH BOYS and THE BEATLES also gave us TOMMY ROE(oy!) and BRIAN HIGHLAND(eep!) along with CHRIS MONTEZ.  And one minute we were "groovin'  " to JOHNNY AND THE HURRICANES like they were the HEAVIEST band we EVER heard, and actually, at the time, they WERE!

The '60's also gave us ---

HE 1910 FRUITGUM COMPANY

THE OHIO EXPRESS

THE COWSILLS

THE ARCHIES

OLIVER

and, along with our beloved "Acid Rock" also ushered in what was called "Bubblegum" music.

And there were some(like my ex) who sincerely liked it.    For instance there also were many for whom THE 5th DIMENSION represented the ultimate in ethereal music presentation.  Others would rather gargle with muriatic acid.  And, a sort of comic aside---

Those "bubblegum" groups I mentioned above were taken another way.  It seemed(at the time) their largest(and evetually target)audience were "tween" and pre-adolescent kids, which prompted a buddy of mine to call it all "Starter" rock, or "training" rock!  :D

And some sands shifted.  For example, TOMMY JAMES and THE SHONDELLS, when '67's "I Think We're Alone Now" came out, was considered a pretty hip band.  But when the "light" CRIMSON AND CLOVER came out, they were no longer(to many) a "cool" band.  Just more plastic "bubblegum".  And many still never(and still DON'T) knew/know that one of rock'n'roll's premier voices, STEVE MARRIOTT, was the frontman for SMALL FACES when they put out 1967's "Itchycoo Park".  Thy only know him from HUMBLE PIE( one DAMNED fine band!), whose "HOT'N'NASTY" STILL kicks my azz!

Eh, gotta go for now---

Sepiatone

By my reckoning , any songs that conjured up images of hippies, the summer of love, or drug use, could be labeled psychedelic. This included anything that is acid rock, as well as a lot of other stuff. Incidentally, 'Summertime Blues", by Blue Cheer, is considered a seminal acid rock song, as well as the first heavy metal song. So there are overlapping categories.

Favorite Rolling Stones songs:

Gimme Shelter

Paint It Black

Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

Sympathy for the Devil

You Can't Always Get What You Want

Play with Fire

Jumpin' Jack Flash

Tumbling Dice

My favorite "more mellow" Stones' songs are "Time Waits For No One" and "Out of Time".

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited Quote for Language
  • Like 1

My top 10 favorite Stones songs in order:

1) Honk y Tonk Woman
2) Midnight Rambler
3) ****
4) Get Off My Cloud
5) Monkey Man
6) Paint it Black
7) Star Star
8) She's so Cold
9) Let's Spend the Night Together
10) Let it Bleed

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited for Language
  • Like 1

My top 10 favorite Stones songs in order:

1) Honk y Tonk Woman

2) Midnight Rambler

3) ****

4) Get Off My Cloud

5) Monkey Man

6) Paint it Black

7) Star Star

8) She's so Cold

9) Let's Spend the Night Together

10) Let it Bleed

"****" may be the most underrated Stones' song. It was the "B" side of "Brown Sugar", and many people consider it one of their favorites from the group.

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited for Language
  • Like 1

Another of my Stones favorites is "You Can't Always Get What You Want".  Love how they incorporated the chorus in the middle of the song (more than at the beginning, but they tie together).  Almost gives you chills - very emotional.

• Like 1

Ten of my favourite  Rolling Stones songs in no order except the first:

1. You Can`t Always Get What You Want

2. (I Can`t Get No) Satisfaction

3. Ruby Tuesday

4. Get Off of  My Cloud

5. Paint it Black

6. Jumping Jack Flash

7. Gimme Shelter

8. Let`s Spend the Night Together

9. Time Waits For No One

10.Hon-ky Tonk Woman

And some sands shifted.  For example, TOMMY JAMES and THE SHONDELLS, when '67's "I Think We're Alone Now" came out, was considered a pretty hip band.  But when the "light" CRIMSON AND CLOVER came out, they were no longer(to many) a "cool" band.  Just more plastic "bubblegum". 

Eh, gotta go for now---

Sepiatone

I remember when I was a teenager there was one large record store where

I bought most of my albums. Being on a teenager's budget, I had to choose

carefully, which wasn't easy as there were so many albums I wanted to get.

At the time, there was very little breakdown by categories. You knew what

you wanted and where it was.

Yep, Garcia started out in bluegrass and I think most of the Airplane were

folkies until the Beatles came along and that changed everything. Back

then you could hear a lot of different performers on AM radio, including

bubblegum. You could like a bubblegum song, but not enough to actually

go out and buy the single. I like Tommy James. He put out a lot of good

tunes and had a pretty successful career for a number of years. I always

thought Crimson and Clover was also something of a psychedelic song

with the unusual sound effects and reverb. It didn't sound like a typical

bubblegum song.

"****" may be the most underrated Stones' song. It was the "B" side of "Brown Sugar", and many people consider it one of their favorites from the group.

Judging by our busy Moderators, I think we may have one reason why the song is underrated. The title has held it back a little.