3) ****

4) Get Off My Cloud

5) Monkey Man

6) Paint it Black

7) Star Star

8) She's so Cold

9) Let's Spend the Night Together

10) Let it Bleed

I think "Itch" is one of the Stones' best songs from the Sticky Fingers album. 

I inadvertently left "Miss You" off my list - - I don't see it on anybody else's list.

I just think it's so typical of the perverted mind of Mick Jagger--you just gotta love it.

I also love "Some Girls."

My favorite part for whatever reason is:

"Black girls just want to get [blanked] all night, I just don't got that much jam!"  

LOL!

I remember when I was a teenager there was one large record store where

I bought most of my albums. Being on a teenager's budget, I had to choose

carefully, which wasn't easy as there were so many albums I wanted to get.

At the time, there was very little breakdown by categories. You knew what

you wanted and where it was.

Yep, Garcia started out in bluegrass and I think most of the Airplane were

folkies until the Beatles came along and that changed everything. Back

then you could hear a lot of different performers on AM radio, including

bubblegum. You could like a bubblegum song, but not enough to actually

go out and buy the single. I like Tommy James. He put out a lot of good

tunes and had a pretty successful career for a number of years. I always

thought Crimson and Clover was also something of a psychedelic song

with the unusual sound effects and reverb. It didn't sound like a typical

bubblegum song.

I like "Crimson and Clover," I liked it more than "I Think We're Alone Now." I also like Joan Jett's cover of "Crimson and Clover." 

Bubblegum music, while corny and saccharine, can be charming at times and I'm not ashamed to say that there are quite a few of them that I love.

I don't know why, but I love The Archies' "Sugar Sugar." I also like Barry Mann's "Who Put the Bomp."  The song is absurd, but I love the spoken word part at the end, it cracks me up.  I also like some of the Brady Bunch's songs.  Lol.  I got an album at a used music store for $5 once--what can I say, "It's a Sunshine Day."  Lol. I also like The Monkees' music.  Are the Baycity Rollers considered bubblegum? I like their "Bye Bye Baby" song. 

Speaking of the album "Some Girls" by the Stones, an offbeat song that I like a lot is "Before They Make Me Run". I also like "Tumbling Dice" (from a different album), which was mentioned on Lawrence's list.

I love "Tumbling Dice."  I have the "Some Girls" album.  I can't remember "Before They Make Me Run."  I also like "Beast of Burden" which I believe is also on this album.  "Shattered" from that album that I like.  I wasn't as much a fan of their attempts at country music, like "Far Away Eyes," which is also on this album.  

I really wish I could get the original "Some Girls" album cover LP, however, I understand that it is not easy to find.

I love "Tumbling Dice." I have the "Some Girls" album. I can't remember "Before They Make Me Run." I also like "Beast of Burden" which I believe is also on this album. "Shattered" from that album that I like. I wasn't as much a fan of their attempts at country music, like "Far Away Eyes," which is also on this album.

I really wish I could get the original "Some Girls" album cover LP, however, I understand that it is not easy to find.

We had that album at home way back when and it got played a lot - maybe it was bought new.

Was "Respectable" on that one? That was another good song. I didn't like the other songs. "Before They Make Me Run" was sung by Keith Richards. He has a weaker voice, but it somehow works for this song. It's a cute pop tune, though it's about heroin and Richards' scrape with the law (I looked it up on wiki).

Top Ten Beatles Songs:

A Day In the Life

While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Yesterday

Eleanor Rigby

Norwegian Wood

Paperback Writer

Something

Here Comes the Sun

Revolution

Come Together

This list would probably change frequently, though, except for the top 2.

• Like 3

Top Ten Beatles Songs:

Color me impressed! I dont think I could narrow down favorite Beatles tunes to 10! :)

Though I'm not sure if this would make my own Top Ten list, one song I like is 'Rain', which I heard for the first time only in the last couple of years.

We had that album at home way back when and it got played a lot - maybe it was bought new.

Was "Respectable" on that one? That was another good song. I didn't like the other songs. "Before They Make Me Run" was sung by Keith Richards. He has a weaker voice, but it somehow works for this song. It's a cute pop tune, though it's about heroin and Richards' scrape with the law (I looked it up on wiki).

Yes.  I believe "Respectable" is on this album.  I wasn't as big a fan of Richards' singing.  I think another song that he sings often is "Happy."  When I saw The Stones in concert in 2005, Richards sang "Happy" while Mick Jagger was off stage changing outfits and no doubt relaxing a little.

To follow Lawrence's lead:

Top 10 Beatles songs in order of preference:

(Though they have so many great ones)

1. Revolution (The version that starts out with Lennon's scream, I think that's version #1.  This used to be my song for my alarm clock). 

2. While My Guitar Gently Weeps

3. Oh Darling!

4. Get Back

5. Blackbird

6. Rain

7. Norwegian Wood

8. Boys

9. All My Loving

10. Octopus' Garden

There are so many great Beatles songs.  They are definitely one of my favorite bands of all time.

• Like 4

Lawrence:

I don't think I could narrow my favourite Beatles songs to ten that would never change order, but here are my current favourite ten songs from my favourite British Invasion Band/band from my Mom's generation (which I prefer to my own):

1. In My Life - this is always number 1.  It's the only one that does not change.

2. A Day in the Life

3. Norwegian Wood

4. Blackbird

5. Something

6. Yesterday

7. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band

8. With a little Help From My Friends

9. All You Need Is Love

10. Hey Jude

• Like 2

Lawrence:

I don't think I could narrow my favourite Beatles songs to ten that would never change order, but here are my current favourite ten songs from my favourite British Invasion Band/band from my Mom's generation (which I prefer to my own):

1. In My Life - this is always number 1. It's the only one that does not change.

2. A Day in the Life

3. Norwegian Wood

4. Blackbird

5. Something

6. Yesterday

7. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band

8. With a little Help From My Friends

9. All You Need Is Love

10. Hey Jude

And the Beatles were such a great artists, you have to compare them to legendary artists on the level of Beethoven, Picasso, or Kurosawa.

Like all great artists, The Beatles evolved; as they involved their music changed. If I was to write a list of Beatles songs it would have to be in three or four different chronological or evolutionary segments.

But if you're just writing in terms of what you personally love, or had a personal experience with or just nostalgia then, of course Anything Goes.

But it's rather hard artistically to compare She Loves You with Strawberry Fields. But in terms of the group's evolution, they both fit into Perfect songs for their chronological period.

If I had to pick a song in the middle. It would be Ticket to Ride.

If I had to pick one single 45 record that seems to exhibit how far they and the 45 rock and roll single had come from I Want to Hold Your Hand, it would definitely be Hey Jude.

The Beatles are the sum total of their work. I think Abbey Road sums up their career very well, in terms of musicianship and philosophy.

• Like 3

Top Ten Beatles Songs:

A Day In the Life

While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Yesterday

Eleanor Rigby

Norwegian Wood

Paperback Writer

Something

Here Comes the Sun

Revolution

Come Together

This list would probably change frequently, though, except for the top 2.

Lawrence,

I'm always amazed at your taste. Paperback Writer is the late Beatle 45 single which slipped through the cracks; the song that no one ever talks about.

It was just a 45 with Rain on the flip side. At this point they had done so much that they were just putting out music and this one wasn't even on an album.

What's so fantastic about this song is that storyline, the interplay between the lead and the bass and the sheer velocity of the number.

I'm guessing Paul wrote this number.

Locally for this time period, They always play Lady Madonna. For the Beatles a mediocre song, for anybody else a really good song, belongs on an album. I don't like it as much as "baby, you can drive my car". But again storylines ahead of its time. They even play Hello, Goodbye, before you will hear Paperback Writer.

I hope Paperback Writer finally got on some album, somewhere in some anthology.

• Like 1

By

By my reckoning , any songs that conjured up images of hippies, the summer of love, or drug use, could be labeled psychedelic. This included anything that is acid rock, as well as a lot of other stuff. Incidentally, 'Summertime Blues", by Blue Cheer, is considered a seminal acid rock song, as well as the first heavy metal song. So there are overlapping categories.

Since I made the mistake of thinking this would be a discussion of certain eras of rock history, and not where some would simply list the titles of songs they liked as if that meant they were supposed to be special to EVERYone, I'm glad to see you brought up something that's been nagging at me when thinking about this thread....

The lack of "point of referrence".

You reminded me of this by mentioning the "Summer of Love".  which was the summer of 1967.

Which was also when rock music reached a major turning point.  You see, I. like most people, tend to have my OWN criteria for claiming a song as "psychedelic" or not.  MY first experience with any music that by either the radio stations, OR the public regarding it and calling it "psychedelic" was in mid to late 1966, with tunes from groups like COUNT FIVE, THE BLUES MAGOOS, and THE UNRELATED SEGMENTS (STILL love that name!) , and locally here, culminating with BOB SEGER's  "PERSECUTION SMITH

plus, add that sine geographically the nation IS kind of large, some types of music, and/or groups got heard of or recognized at different TIMES, in DIFFERENT PARTS of the country.  Which takes me back to 1967---

Me and mine never really heard of THE GRATEFUL DEAD until a buddy of mine read about them somewhere(probably CREEM magazine) and hunted down their self titled debut album.  just now, looking it up on WIKI( wasn't sure of the title), THEY designate it as "psychadelic rock" --"blues rock".  Indeed, it had some elements of both, varying from tune to tune. At the time, I only found an interest in their versions of "Morning Dew" and "Good Morning Little Schoolgirl", songs I already knew from other sources.

1967 also(at least in MY region) saw the ushering in of groups like JEFFERSON  AIRPLANE that spring with "Somebody To Love" and "White Rabbit" in the summer.  along with THE DOORS's "LIGHT MY FIRE" that summer, shooting to #1 in July here in Detroit, right in the middle of our big RACE RIOT!  It was also when The Beatles told us all we need is love!

'67 was also the year of the MONTEREY POP FESTIVAL, which also helped  usher in, to American audiences, the one person, oddly never mentioned in all the debate about "Acid rock" and "psycedelic rock" in here, and who probably single handed SPARKED the idea of CALLING certain styles of music "ACID rock", ----

JIMI HENDRIX !

for some reason, it took until the fall of that year fora Hendrix single to hit Detroit radio.

Even a bit longer for another Monterey debut, although well known by then in San-Fran,---

JANIS JOPLIN (PBS Tuesday night had a profile of her on "American Masters".  very interesting.)

Also, in Detroit, that fall of '67 saw the introduction of FM rock stations.  The first one here being WABX, and only on for six hours, between noon and 6:00pm, by the end of the year it expanded to 24hrs.

What was SO cool about it, compared to AM radio, was there was no "Three minute rule".  they'd play FULL versions of songs they played shortened, edited version of on AM, IF the tune even MADE it to AM, and FM also would play WHOLE SIDES of LPs, without commercial break.  But the MAIN attraction was they'd play the MUSIC that for some reason or other, the AM stations REFUSED to play!

And different parts of the country got into these changes at different times than other parts.  but still.....

And it was STILL shifting, and changes came fast!

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Lawrence,

I'm always amazed at your taste. Paperback Writer is the late Beatle 45 single which slipped through the cracks; the song that no one ever talks about.

It was just a 45 with Rain on the flip side. At this point they had done so much that they were just putting out music and this one wasn't even on an album.

What's so fantastic about this song is that storyline, the interplay between the lead and the bass and the sheer velocity of the number.

I'm guessing Paul wrote this number.

Locally for this time period, They always play Lady Madonna. For the Beatles a mediocre song, for anybody else a really good song, belongs on an album. I don't like it as much as "baby, you can drive my car". But again storylines ahead of its time. They even play Hello, Goodbye, before you will hear Paperback Writer.

I hope Paperback Writer finally got on some album, somewhere in some anthology.

I have a cd of number 1 Beatles songs - hits that made number 1 - and I believe that paperback Writer is one of them.

The songs I chose I admit have a lot to do with the following: They are my favourites.

1. These are songs that I personally love to sing.

2. Sgt. Pepper is an album I own

3. Rubber Soul is an album I own

4. I do actually own several actually.....

There is no Beatles song that I don't like really, although there are some I skip on cds.  Depending upon whether I am in the mood for singing or dancing, being reflective or listening to an entire album .

Since I made the mistake of thinking this would be a discussion of certain eras of rock history, and not where some would simply list the titles of songs they liked as if that meant they were supposed to be special to EVERYone, I'm glad to see you brought up something that's been nagging at me when thinking about this thread....

The lack of "point of referrence".

Sepiatone

Sepia--

You know a lot about rock and roll and I want to hear what you got to say.

But God only knows I'm not conducting a graduate seminar here - - because God only knows I've been in enough graduate seminars to know how to conduct one-- in 2 different languages.

This Thread is really open-ended about classic rock and roll.

Whenever somebody wants to share, I want to hear it.

Some people get their thoughts together by making lists, while some people think more in a chronological manner.

Sepia, I've got to agree with you, I don't want a thread with just a bunch of lists or just a bunch of videos. But as long as life is, sometimes we need illustrations and sometimes we need organization in our lives.

You just may be a little more advanced than some of us in terms of how you are able to organize the music in a historical and a chronological manner.

That's why your contributions are so invaluable.

In life we are all at different stages. And some people may want to approach this in a different manner.

But I'm one of those Live and Let Live, play it as it lays, and go with the flow type of person. And I think that's what rock and roll is too.

Nobody has mentioned Lovin' Spoonful yet or The Mamas & the Papas.

I know every line in Creeque Ally. I wonder if anybody ever heard a recording of the Mugwumps?

At the challenge of one of my spinning instructors, I have put together a prospective all '60s acid rock  playlist which he might use for a class, Here it is:

13th Floor Elevators-----Slip Inside This House

Jefferson Airplane- Somebody to Love,, Watch Her Ride, Last Wall of the Castle, House at Pooneil Corners, Ballad of You and Me and Pooneil,,Volunteers, Plastic Fantastic Lover, The Other Side of This Life, Crown of Creation

Count Five--Psychotic Reaction

Blue Cheer--Summertime Blues

Cream---Deserted Cities of the Heart, Swlabr, I'm So Glad, Sunshine of Your Love, Dance the Night Away, Those Were the Days

The Doors----My Eyes Have Seen You, Take It As it Comes, Break on Through, Ship of Fools, Love Her Madly

At the challenge of one of my spinning instructors, I have put together a prospective all '60s acid rock playlist which he might use for a class, Here it is:

13th Floor Elevators-----Slip Inside This House

Jefferson Airplane- Somebody to Love,, Watch Her Ride, Last Wall of the Castle, House at Pooneil Corners, Ballad of You and Me and Pooneil,,Volunteers, Plastic Fantastic Lover, The Other Side of This Life, Crown of Creation

Count Five--Psychotic Reaction

Blue Cheer--Summertime Blues

Cream---Deserted Cities of the Heart, Swlabr, I'm So Glad, Sunshine of Your Love, Dance the Night Away, Those Were the Days

The Doors----My Eyes Have Seen You, Take It As it Comes, Break on Through, Ship of Fools, Love Her Madly

This is neither here nor there but I just bought a Revlon red nail polish Called Love Her Madly.

If I have a vote, I'm voting for Hello, I Love You.

I like "Crimson and Clover," I liked it more than "I Think We're Alone Now." I also like Joan Jett's cover of "Crimson and Clover." 

Bubblegum music, while corny and saccharine, can be charming at times and I'm not ashamed to say that there are quite a few of them that I love.

I don't know why, but I love The Archies' "Sugar Sugar." I also like Barry Mann's "Who Put the Bomp."  The song is absurd, but I love the spoken word part at the end, it cracks me up.  I also like some of the Brady Bunch's songs.  Lol.  I got an album at a used music store for $5 once--what can I say, "It's a Sunshine Day."  Lol. I also like The Monkees' music.  Are the Baycity Rollers considered bubblegum? I like their "Bye Bye Baby" song. 

Yeah, bubblegum was at least a good piece of ear candy,

maybe not to be taken seriously, but fun to listen to. I Think

We're Alone Now is a pretty good pop song, and the lyrics

are kind of naughty sweet. I think a lot of bubblegum relied

on good songwriters and the groups, such as they were,

sometimes were an afterthought.

I used to listen to The mamas and the Papas  all the time. Then we found out about John and Mackenzie Phillips. I threw all of their music in the garbage and were ticked that I had ever sung any song he wrote.  Beautiful four part harmony.  Beeautiful. But I threw it out.

Ten favorite songs from The White Album.

I'm so tired

Dear Prudence

Happiness is a Warm Gun

Cry Baby Cry

Mother Nature's Son

Sexy Sadie

The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill

Back in the U.S.S.R.

Savoy Truffle

Revolution 9

Paperback Writer did hit Number One in the

U.S. and UK.