Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If this WAS done, please inform me more fully.....

Sepiatone

There's a new movie coming out claiming to be the "backstory" to the story of SNOW WHITE and some other fairy tale personage.

But it made me wonder....

We probably all recall Walt Disney's wonderful full length cartoon SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARVES.....however.....

Has a "live action" movie of this story ever been done?

I don't recall one, which really doesn't mean all that much, but IF it's ever been done, then by WHOM?

And....WHEN?

I mean, there WAS a "live action" film made of PINOCCHIO, in Italy not TOO many years ago, with ROBERTO BENIGNI as the "want to be a real boy" character.(although I do like Benigni, I thought his portrayal in the movie was so annoying I could only take about a half hour of watching.)

But I don't recall there ever being a SNOW WHITE movie made with a real actress in the main role and seven "little people" (dwarves, midgets or whatever they prefer these days) in the pivotal roles.

But as I said, IF this HAS been done, please give me the lowdown!  And if NOT, then possibly inform me as to WHY not!

Sepiatone

Snow White and the Huntsman (2012) was a very loose retelling, with Kristen Stewart as Snow White and Charlize Theron as the evil Queen Ravenna. The dwarfs appeared, and included actors such as Bob Hoskins, Ian McShane, Ray Winstone, Toby Jones and other full size actors digitally altered to appear shorter. The new movie you were referring to, The Huntsman: Winter's War, is a prequel to this movie.

Mirror Mirror (also 2012) was another Snow White retelling, with Lily Collins as Snow White and top-billed Julia Roberts as the evil Queen. This film also has the dwarfs, but with lesser-known actors.

There has also been several live-action TV movies that I won't go into.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info.

The films mentioned for some reason don't seem to have had too much of an impact on movie goers.  Although I long ago quit going to the movies as often as I used to( to see GRAVITY was the last time I stepped into a movie theater), I know a lot of people who go on a regular basis, and the movies mentioned in this thread seemed to either not fall in their particular fields of interest, or didn't leave that much of an impression, as when they think a movie is good, they bore the HELL out of all of us about it!

And there was no information from Lawrence, who posted the info, as to whether or not either one of the movies mentioned are worth the effort to see or not.    :)

Seppiatone

Well, Seepy, you didn't ask for my opinion.

I saw Snow White and the Huntsman (which was a big hit btw, thus the expensive sequel), and thought it was rather terrible. It had some nice visual effects, but the story and characters were blah.

I didn't bother with Mirror Mirror, as it was promoted as more of a family film, and I don't usually watch those. It looked awful, as well.

One more note on this subject: The Huntsman: Winter's War, the expensive sequel/prequel whose release prompted Sepia's interest in this subject, debuted this past weekend and was a resounding flop, both here and overseas. Word is it could end up being one of the most costly bombs of the year. It looked very expensive in the trailer, and has a good cast, but it also looked terrible story wise, and it reeked of CGI overload. The first film was awful, and only made bank due to the presence of hot-at-the-time Kristen Stewart. When this sequel was first announced, it was met with surprise that anyone would bother, or plain indifference. This is also the third straight non-Marvel superhero flop for Aussie actor Chris Hemsworth (after Blackhat and  In the Heart of the Sea), so any big budget films where he doesn't wield a hammer will likely be few and far between from now on.

• Like 1

There have been a few live-action versions of Snow White over the years, but none that have reached the level of popularity of the Disney version.  One of the more notable adaptations was a 1997 version called Snow White: A Tale of Terror, starring Sigourney Weaver as the evil queen.  Like the recent Snow White and the Huntsman, this was a much darker, adult-oriented film, closer to a horror movie than a fairy tale fantasy.  It was made for TV in America, but I think it was released theatrically in Europe.  Weaver received critical acclaim for her performance.

There is also a 1987 version, simply called Snow White, made as part of the "Cannon Movie Tales," with the great Diana Rigg stepping into the evil queen role.  For those who don't know, Cannon was a studio in the 80s that churned out a ton of low-budget movies that made large profits.  Most of these films were genre trash, including Chuck Norris action films like The Delta Force and the breakdancing musical Breakin' and its immortal sequel Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo.  The "Cannon Movie Tales" were a series of fairy-tale musical adaptations made for children.  They were all made on the cheap in Israel, but they usually featured at least one notable star performer (Rigg in this film, Craig T. Nelson and Isabella Rossellini in a version of Red Riding Hood, Christopher Walken in Puss in Boots).  Like most of Cannon's output, these movies were hilariously poor, but I grew up watching them in the early 90s, and Rigg's performance was scary enough that I remember it fondly even if memories of the songs still make me cringe.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings