Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Request To TCM Programmers: Please Show the MoMA Restoration of Paul Leni's THE LAST WARNING

TomJH

If, by chance, TCM programmers are reading this thread, could you PLEASE see if you can secure the rights to show the MoMA restoration of director Paul Leni's final film, THE LAST WARNING (1929).

A splendid silent illustration of the dark house chiller genre, with stunning camerawork and montage sequences (with even the title cards shaking with fear at times), this film can be seen as the equal of the same director's far more famous Cat and the Canary, released two years earlier.

www.moma.org/calendar/film/1642?locale=en

From MoMA:

The Last Warning. 1929. USA. Directed by Paul Leni. 89 min.

German director Paul Leni did much to establish the style of Universal’s horror films with The Cat and the Canary (1927) and The Man Who Laughs (1928). The 1929 Last Warning, a murder mystery set backstage at a Broadway theater, is equally stylish, but sadly proved to be Leni’s last film; he died of blood poisoning a few months after its release. This major digital restoration comes from Universal’s new preservation division.

LastWarningCollage.jpg

For message board posters curious about this film (never even heard of it, I bet, had you?), there is a currently serviceable version of it available for viewing on You Tube. Key to the enhancement of any silent thriller, the YT version has GREAT musical accompaniment.

Hey all you Spiral Staircase fans, take a look at this silent granddaddy of that film's genre.

By the way, TCM, if you can show ANY of the Universals that have been restored by MoMA, the titles of which are available through that link provided above, it would be much appreciated.

• Like 5

I heard of this one, many years ago. I think it was Robert Bloch who mentioned it in an article that appeared in the earliest days of Famous Monsters. But in the 55 years since, I've yet to see it.

I do hope to make it to the museum for Edward L. Cahn day on the 21st if for no other screenings.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings