Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Singer Billy Paul (1934-2016)

jakeem

R&B singer Billy Paul, who won a Grammy Award for his 1972 hit "Me and Mrs. Jones," died Sunday at the age of 81. He died in his Philadelphia home after being diagnosed with cancer.

Written by Philadelphia International Records creators Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff with Cary Gilbert, "Me and Mrs. Jones." was the No. 1 song on Billboard's pop chart for three weeks in December 1972. It earned Paul the 1972-1973 Grammy for Best Male R&B Vocal Performance.

The song was used in the 2001 romantic comedy "Bridget Jones's Diary," which starred Renée Zellweger, Hugh Grant and Colin Firth.

The mellow ballad about an extramarital affair exemplified Philadelphia International's "Philly Soul" sound during the '70s. The label also featured such artists as The O'Jays, Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes and Teddy Pendergrass. Another well-remembered song from the label was "TSOP (The Sound of Philadelphia)," recorded by a group of studio musicians under the name MFSB. The instrumental became the theme used on the TV musical variety show "Soul Train."

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/04/25/475573455/beyond-mrs-jones-billy-pauls-music-you-might-not-have-hear

• Like 2

R&B singer Billy Paul, who won a Grammy Award for his 1972 hit "Me and Mrs. Jones," died Sunday at the age of 81. He died in his Philadelphia home after being diagnosed with cancer.

Written by Philadelphia International Records creators Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff with Cary Gilbert, "Me and Mrs. Jones." was the No. 1 song on Billboard's pop chart for three weeks in December 1972. It earned Paul the 1972-1973 Grammy for Best Male R&B Vocal Performance.

The song was used in the 2001 romantic comedy "Bridget Jones's Diary," which starred Renée Zellweger, Hugh Grant and Colin Firth.

The mellow ballad about an extramarital affair exemplified Philadelphia International's "Philly Soul" sound during the '70s. The label also featured such artists as The O'Jays, Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes and Teddy Pendergrass. Another well-remembered song from the label was "TSOP (The Sound of Philadelphia)," recorded by a group of studio musicians under the name MFSB. The instrumental became the theme used on the TV musical variety show "Soul Train."

http://www.newsweek.com/me-and-mrs-jones-singer-billy-paul-dead-81-451873

A Philly guy. I'm very familiar with his work. Distinctive voice. His best song was "I Think I'll Stay Home Today".

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings