Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Behind the Scenes Stories

NickAndNora34

I read in Shirley Jones' memoir that she was very pregnant with her first son during the filming of The Music Man (1962), and to combat this, the wardrobe department made her a special corset to wear underneath all her dresses. She also tells how during one particlular day when they were filming the romantic footbridge scene, Robert Preston was attempting to embrace her, and the baby kicked, and Robert was dumbfounded as no one had told him that Shirley was "enceinte."

What are some things you all have heard about filming, behind the scenes?

Okay, I forget where I read this but it seems that holier than thou Bing Crosby was noted for picking up women in each film he was in. What I read was, that if you want to know who he got involved with you should just look for any woman in the cast that goes on to the next film he is in. I also read concerning him with Grace Kelly, that she also was noted for taking up with any man in the cast who could help move her career on to the next spot up, and had an affair with Crosby and look what happened next.

Of course, these all all unsubstantiated comments. It does seem though that Errol Flynn said basically the same thing about Crosby and said the studios would protect their sacred cows, and leave Flynn out there as the whipping boy and scapegoat for any scandalous behaviour.

Great topic!

• Like 1

Okay, I forget where I read this but it seems that holier than thou Bing Crosby was noted for picking up women in each film he was in. What I read was, that if you want to know who he got involved with you should just look for any woman in the cast that goes on to the next film he is in. I also read concerning him with Grace Kelly, that she also was noted for taking up with any man in the cast who could help move her career on to the next spot up, and had an affair with Crosby and look what happened next.

Of course, these all all unsubstantiated comments. It does seem though that Errol Flynn said basically the same thing about Crosby and said the studios would protect their sacred cows, and leave Flynn out there as the whipping boy and scapegoat for any scandalous behaviour.

Great topic!

Cave Girl--you're right on target with all this ancient dirt. My favorite story about these people comes around the time they were making Country Girl.

One night William Holden and Bing Crosby nearly had a car crash, collision in the driveway of Grace Kelly's house. Reportedly seniority and top billing, i.e., Bing won out.

I'll let somebody else tell you about the Mogambo location shoot in Africa, and Clark Gable's false teeth upsetting Grace Kelly, while Sinatra was rushing in to take care of Gable-- fortunately for all of us music fans that wasn't necessary.

• Like 1

I've often thought of the fact that Flynn was, indeed, a Hollywood whipping boy for a town full of scandalous behaviour. And Flynn knew a lot of the secrets of what went on without, to the best of my knowledge, blurting them out to anybody. I've never heard of Flynn making any comment about Crosby (or anybody else, really) along those lines.

• Like 3

According to Kevin Spacey, who claimed to witness it, 75 year old Burt Lancaster was strolling on the set of the film Rocket Gibraltar when he saw the child actor playing his grandson looking at the script. Lancaster went up to the youngster and in his most grandfatherly manner suggested helpfully, "Son, would you like me to help you with your dialogue for the next scene?"

"No", sneered 8 year old Macauley Culkin. "Just don't step on my lines."

• Like 4

Loretta Young like to give a public image of devoted Catholic. She came up with the idea of a "swear box", where anyone using profanity on the set would have to put 25¢ in the box, which she would donate to a charity.

She had a swear box installed on the set of Man's Castle, in which she starred with Spencer Tracy. One day she heard Tracy say something like "what the hell" and told him, "You swore, Spence. You have to put 25¢ in the swear box."

Tracy took some money out of his pocket. "Here's $20 Loretta. F**k off."

• Like 5

Loretta Young like to give a public image of devoted Catholic. She came up with the idea of a "swear box", where anyone using profanity on the set would have to put 25¢ in the box, which she would donate to a charity.

She had a swear box installed on the set of Man's Castle, in which she starred with Spencer Tracy. One day she heard Tracy say something like "what the hell" and told him, "You swore, Spence. You have to put 25¢ in the swear box."

Tracy took some money out of his pocket. "Here's $20 Loretta. F**k off."

Loretta must have liked talk like that, or, at least, been pretty forgiving of it. She and Tracy had an affair, and I believe that the lady carried quite a torch for him for some time afterward. Since he was married and a Catholic, divorcing his first wife was not in the cards for him. Ask Katharine Hepburn (and Loretta Young).

There are at least a couple of Robert Mitchum stories I'd love to tell (one where he meets the leader of an African nation on an airplane, the other a legendary story of him telling a lady reporter about his favorite animal to hunt). Unfortunately the punch lines are unprintable.

• Like 1

The only ones I can think of are probably well known by most of youse.....

First, the one that Olivia DeHavilland told in one of those TCM "fillers" about when she was filming ROBIN HOOD with Eroll Flynn, she deliberately kept messing up a take( the one where Robin is talking to Maid Marian on her window ledge) where the two also have to kiss.  With each new take, she made her kiss more passionate and provocative to the point that Flynn, wearing those Robin Hood "tights" wasn't able to stand up and finish the scene! ;)

The other, from David Niven's book "Bring On The Empty Horses" deals with an incident during the filming of one of those famous late '30's "swashbucklers"( I forget which one) and director MICHAEL CURTIZ wanted the fencers to make their fights look more dramatic, so in his very thick Hungarian accent, shouted for them to "LUNGE!  LUNGE!"  Mistaking what he was actually trying to say, the enitre cast and crew walked off the set, mid-scene, to go have LUNCH!  :D   Niven claimed Curtiz's head near exploded.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

The other, from David Niven's book "Bring On The Empty Horses" deals with an incident during the filming of one of those famous late '30's "swashbucklers"( I forget which one) and director MICHAEL CURTIZ wanted the fencers to make their fights look more dramatic, so in his very thick Hungarian accent, shouted for them to "LUNGE!  LUNGE!"  Mistaking what he was actually trying to say, the enitre cast and crew walked off the set, mid-scene, to go have LUNCH!  :D   Niven claimed Curtiz's head near exploded.

Sepiatone

I've read that same anecdote about the director but it came from a different source - actress Sherry Jackson, who played John Garfield's youngest daughter in The Breaking Point, directed by Curtiz:

I do recall something funny. We were out on location at Balboa Park by a big launch. A pivotal scene. Curtiz was waiting for just the right light to shoot. Happily it arrived, and he majestically grabbed the loudspeaker horn and in his trademark broken English announced, “EVERYBODY GO TO LAUNCH!” And the whole company broke for lunch! Hysterical. Poor Michael – screaming to no avail...We were gone.

You folks have probably already heard the following one too, but it's still one of my favorites....

On the set of THE COWBOYS (1972...and key reason this story is so funny, due to America's political climate of that time and the then ongoing college anti-Vietnam War protests and revolts) and just before the scene was filmed in which Bruce Dern shoots John Wayne in the back and kills him, Wayne turned to Dern and said, "Ya know, the audience is gonna hate you for doing this", and to which Dern quickly replied, "Yeah, but they'll sure love me in Berkeley!"

(...when telling this story, Dern goes on to say that to his credit, Wayne laughed uproariously at that retort and turned to the rest of the assembled cast and crew and said, "Ya see, THIS is why this young fella gets so much work!")

• Like 1

Loretta must have liked talk like that, or, at least, been pretty forgiving of it. She and Tracy had an affair, and I believe that the lady carried quite a torch for him for some time afterward. Since he was married and a Catholic, divorcing his first wife was not in the cards for him. Ask Katharine Hepburn (and Loretta Young).

And of course it was Loretta who had the illegitimate [word in usage then!] daughter by supposedly Clark Gable and the studio put her out of commission during the pregnancy and then she had the gumption to pretend she was adopting HER OWN baby!

This worked out for a while until people started noticing that Judy Lewis [?] looked almost exactly like Loretta but had really big ears like, hmmm...someone else we all know!

I think there was some surgery done to correct that, but later the daughter said she asked Loretta repeatedly but Loretta would never give up the truth.

• Like 1

And of course it was Loretta who had the illegitimate [word in usage then!] daughter by supposedly Clark Gable and the studio put her out of commission during the pregnancy and then she had the gumption to pretend she was adopting HER OWN baby!

This worked out for a while until people started noticing that Judy Lewis [?] looked almost exactly like Loretta but had really big ears like, hmmm...someone else we all know!

I think there was some surgery done to correct that, but later the daughter said she asked Loretta repeatedly but Loretta would never give up the truth.

judy-lewis_sq-1cd7f61e0657797ed2f7e8f15f

JUDY LEWIS

It doesn't take a genius to see why no one believed Loretta adopted a random baby.

I saw Judy Lewis in a Perry Mason episode. I didn't know she was in the episode or really what she looked like at that stage in her life. But after about 20 minutes I just guessed it was her. She looks so much like both her parents.

I don't know how much acting she went on to do - - her obituary on this website said she had become some kind of a psychologist.

• Like 2

Tom, I have read that Tracy's wife was willing enough to give him a divorce. It was convenient for him in more ways than one to say otherwise, though.

Tom, I have read that Tracy's wife was willing enough to give him a divorce. It was convenient for him in more ways than one to say otherwise, though.

Yeah, I mean it HASN'T just been a RECENT thing in which a guy(and not just some celebrity) can slip a little money under the table to his priest and then "magically" his FIRST marriage never ever existed and so he can get REmarried in the Catholic church, RIGHT?!!!!

LOL

(...sorry...I just could NEVER resist calling out blatant examples of hypocrisy whenever I see it)

• Like 1

Drago-- the process is called an annulment. It's like some kind of a court procedure in the Church. There's criteria and you can get written statements from Witnesses.

If you meet the criteria you can get the annulment. It doesn't matter whether you had children while you were married or not.

There is a fee involved but it's not prohibitive,to the average person.

There's nothing under the table about it - - it's simply a process that any divorced Catholic can go through.

Deceitful little devil, wasn't he?

And to think he'd get an Oscar playing a priest!

• Like 1

Drago-- the process is called an annulment. It's like some kind of a court procedure in the Church. There's criteria and you can get written statements from Witnesses.

If you meet the criteria you can get the annulment. It doesn't matter whether you had children while you were married or not.

There is a fee involved but it's not prohibitive,to the average person.

There's nothing under the table about it - - it's simply a process that any divorced Catholic can go through.

So, in essence, "considered to be invalid from the beginning as if it never existed", right?!

And so pretty much like when somebody plays "a Mulligan" in Golf, RIGHT?!

Uh-huh, yep, I think I understand.

How "sporting" of The Church!

(...and SO glad to know it all sounds like it's now even MORE affordable than the green fees at Pebble Beach!!!)

LOL

So, in essence, "considered to be invalid from the beginning as if it never existed", right?!

And so pretty much like when somebody plays "a Mulligan" in Golf, RIGHT?!

Uh-huh, yep, I think I understand.

How "sporting" of The Church!

(...and SO glad to know it all sounds like it's now even MORE affordable than the green fees at Pebble Beach!!!)

LOL

Dargo, it helps to get an annulment if you are someone like Jackie Kennedy's sister, Lee Radziwill and the family also are friends with Cardinals. Check out the many marriages and annulments of Lee and her ex, which allowed her to remain in the church and to marry again. The following is from Wikipedia:

"Marriages and children[edit]

Radziwill has been married three times. Her first marriage, in April 1953, was to Michael Temple Canfield, a publishing executive who had been adopted as an infant by the American publisher Cass Canfield. Canfield's mother was the American socialite Kiki Preston. It was rumored that his biological father wasPrince George, Duke of Kent, a member of the British Royal Family; if so, then Canfield would be a first cousin of the present Queen. Caroline and Canfield divorced in 1959, and the marriage was annulled by the Roman Catholic Church in November 1962.[4]

Her second marriage, on March 19, 1959, was to the Polish former Polish prince Stanisław Albrecht Radziwiłł, who divorced his second wife, the former Grace Maria Kolin,[5] and received a Roman Catholic annulment of his first marriage to marry the former Mrs. Canfield (his second marriage had never been acknowledged by the Roman Catholic Church, so no annulment was necessary).[4] Their marriage ended in divorce in 1974.[6]

On September 23, 1988, Radziwill became the second wife of American film director and choreographer Herbert Ross.[7]They divorced in 2001, shortly before his death. She reverted her surname to that of her second husband."

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings