Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

R.I.P. Madeleine Sherwood

LawrenceA

Stage and screen actress Madeleine Sherwood has died at the age of 93. She's best known for the roles (on stage and in film) of Mae/Sister Woman in Cat On a Hot Tin Roof, and Miss Lucy in Sweet Bird of Youth.

catonahottinrooh_inlaws.jpg

Lawrence--

Thanks for doing this. I would never have remembered her name. Madeleine was outstanding in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof as the mother of the " no-neck monsters".

Looking at her in a photo as that character today-- always pregnant, with all those kids and her attitude in the role-- do you think Tennessee Williams knew Ethel Kennedy very well?

I think she even looks like Ethel Kennedy in this still photo.

• Like 2

I remember her in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, she was excellent in that film.  In The Flying Nun, even though the show was lame, I did like Sally Field and Sherwood's characters.  Her character kind of kept all the wacky nuns in line. 

RIP.

• Like 1

Sherwood seemed drawn to Southern-based dramas. She also was in Otto Preminger's "Hurry Sundown" (1967), which starred Jane Fonda, Sir Michael Caine, Diahann Carroll, Faye Dunaway, Burgess Meredith, George Kennedy and Jim Backus. 

Hurry-Sundown-1967-3.jpg

• Like 2

Stage and screen actress Madeleine Sherwood has died at the age of 93. She's best known for the roles (on stage and in film) of Mae/Sister Woman in Cat On a Hot Tin Roof,  and Miss Lucy in Sweet Bird of Youth. 

catonahottinrooh_inlaws.jpg

Excellent actress! I always liked disliking her, as she made being annoying so real. RIP!

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings