Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Edgar Kennedy Day

Janet0312

The movie that I will watch on Edgar Kennedy Day is MY DREAM IS YOURS 1949. Edgar plays Uncle Charlie a bartender who watches out for widow Doris and her son Freddie. When Jack Carson comes to New York City looking for a new singer to replace Lee Bowman on S.Z. Sakall`s radio show, Uncle Charlie steers him to Doris.

Of the first three films that Doris made for Warner Brothers, this film is my favorite. ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS 1948 had good music, but I did not care for the story line. Everything works for me in MY DREAM IS YOURS. I love the songs, Doris and Jack Carson together, and the marvelous support of Eve Arden.

This film is one of Martin Scorsese`s favorites, and he watched the film before making NEW YORK NEW YORK 1977 with Liza Minnelli and Robert DeNiro.

I once worked with a man who was elderly [don't ask!] whose favorite star was Edgar Kennedy.

This guy was so into the "Slow Burn" style of the man, that he collected films on Super 8, only if they contained scenes with Kennedy. Since he was in a lot of films but only mostly in small bits and pieces, this amounted to quite a big collection of footage, but not so much just about Edgar.

Most people don't know who he is now, since his heyday was way back there, so it is good to see TCM highlighting his career. He was fun to watch in today's Falcon film and also the Laurel and Hardy stuff.

Thanks, TCM!

I'm at work :( Would someone let me know about the Edgar Kennedy shorts. They used to be called Laugh Classics years ago when they played on a local cable station.

Yes, WSBK-TV - Channel 38, Boston ran the RKO Radio comedy shorts starring Edgar Kennedy and Leon Errol, calling them "Laugh Classics". They ran on Ch. 38 from January 2, 1974 through December 1977, and were pretty popular for a while. From September 1974 through June 1975 they even ran 6 or more shorts on Saturdays. They ran them only occasionally in 1978, as fillers after short movies or rained out ballgames. The last one shown on Ch. 38 was on November 25, 1978. 

• Like 1

In New York, WNEW ran the RKO shorts late night on REEL CAMP.  The shorts were purchased in the early 60's by Guild Films.  In the late 70's Worldvision announced they were releasing the Edgar Kennedy and Leon Errol shorts to television with added laugh tracks.  Thankfully, that never came to pass.  The library was then bought by a since-deceased entertainment lawyer who let them languish for years.  I believe his family made a deal with Turner Broadcasting.

While the Kennedy and Errol shorts are terrific (and other comedy series such as Clark & McCullough and Gil Lamb), there are also myriad musical and variety shorts in the package.  There are two great Phil Harris shorts (one an Oscar-winner) and a marvelous New York tableau called MANHATTAN NOCTURNE with Henry Brandon.  Hopefully these shorts will also soon see the light of day.

• Like 2

Yes, WSBK-TV - Channel 38, Boston ran the RKO Radio comedy shorts starring Edgar Kennedy and Leon Errol, calling them "Laugh Classics". They ran on Ch. 38 from January 2, 1974 through December 1977, and were pretty popular for a while. From September 1974 through June 1975 they even ran 6 or more shorts on Saturdays. They ran them only occasionally in 1978, as fillers after short movies or rained out ballgames. The last one shown on Ch. 38 was on November 25, 1978. 

Yup. The one episode that has stayed with me since those days is where Edgar is trying to will Brother to find work. He kept thinking over and over again, "Brother, get a job. Brother, get a job."

If anybody out there can find comedy of this nature in today's sitcom land, let me know.

Everything Edgar touches turns into a disaster. I remember trying to wrestle those metal ice cube trays out of the icebox and running hot water on them. I'd love to find a couple of those old trays just for laughs.

If anybody out there can find comedy of this nature in today's sitcom land, let me know.

Everything Edgar touches turns into a disaster. I remember trying to wrestle those metal ice cube trays out of the icebox and running hot water on them. I'd love to find a couple of those old trays just for laughs.

Tada!  :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Vintage-Aluminum-Ice-Cube-Trays-FRIGIDAIRE-Quickube-/222093627814?hash=item33b5cfd1a6:g:5ecAAOSw~oFXDm29

s-l1600.jpg

Gadzooks - I looked at my DVR of these shorts last night and almost every one was a 16mm dupe.  I hate to think that these came from the rights-holder.   I haven't researched the individual titles but I'm wondering if these were, in fact, public domain titles.

Sorry - I don't get the connection between Ron's efforts and what wound up on TCM.  Believe me, there has been a wealth of conversation and conjecture about the RKO shorts.  I have over 40 of them on film.  They are all beautiful density original prints struck in the mid-50's to mid-60's.  The prints that were run on TCM were mighty poor.  I've since checked the titles on the Alpha Video (!!) DVD's and they match up with was shown on TCM. Which means they are all public domain and did not come from the authorized materials, be they prints or negatives, 35mm or 16mm.  Oh well.  It's great that a wider audience gets to enjoy the great Edgar.  But people have come to expect, at the least, 35mm transfers on TCM and having an entire program of pd shorts is a bit disappointing.

Gadzooks - I looked at my DVR of these shorts last night and almost every one was a 16mm dupe.  I hate to think that these came from the rights-holder.   I haven't researched the individual titles but I'm wondering if these were, in fact, public domain titles.

So what am I watching on You Tube?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings