Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Introducing The TCM Backlot

Turner Classic Movies this afternoon unveiled the official TCM fan club, which they are calling TCM Backlot. Open only to TCM's American subscribers, a year-long subscription can be purchased for $87.00. Joining this club will afford members the opportunity to vote on and influence TCM's programming, be a guest programmer alongside Robert Osborne or Ben Mankiewicz, enjoy early access to TCM's future programming, and more perks.

This seems like a rather crass appeal to the sycophantic hangers-on in TCM's audience, but at least it gives them something new to advertise on the air. And unlike that idiotic wine club, this venture is more directly related to the movies.

You can fine out more here: https://www.tcmbacklot.com/

• Like 7

Turner Classic Movies this afternoon unveiled the official TCM fan club, which they are calling TCM Backlot. Open only to TCM's American subscribers, a year-long subscription can be purchased for $87.00. Joining this club will afford members the opportunity to vote on and influence TCM's programming, be a guest programmer alongside Robert Osborne or Ben Mankiewicz, enjoy early access to TCM's future programming, and more perks.

This seems like a rather crass appeal to the sycophantic hangers-on in TCM's audience, but at least it gives them something new to advertise on the air. And unlike that idiotic wine club, this venture is more directly related to the movies.

OMG, so THIS is what they came up with from those dopey 'Inner Circle' questionaires??

:blink:

just another way to extort $$ from their more affluent die-hard fans!

Again, it seems, it IS the rich who will be able to influence what is aired on another network.

Kinda sad really :(

• Like 8

Typical that it's not open to Canadians. Oh well, I can put that 87 bucks towards my cable bill.

• Like 2

Typical that it's not open to Canadians. Oh well, I can put that 87 bucks towards my cable bill.

In other words, our programming suggestions made on these boards are ignored. You want to influence programming, come up with some moola.

• Like 4

OMG, so THIS is what they came up with from those dopey 'Inner Circle' questionaires??

:blink:

just another way to extort $$ from their more affluent die-hard fans!

Again, it seems, it IS the rich who will be able to influence what is aired on another network.

Kinda sad really :(

I'm wondering if this is REPLACING The Inner Circle. Now you have to pay for the privilege! The Inner Circle has turned out to be much ado about nothing.......

I wont be joining. Not worth it for what the "perks" are......

• Like 3

AND before others chime in with "Well, this IS a capitalist society & TCM is not a a PBS station..."

yes, I KNOW all that......................just sayin' it's another sad sign of our times and condition

:(

In other words, our programming suggestions made on these boards are ignored. You want to influence programming, come up with some moola.

Yep. LOL. Money talks. I'm doubtful how much influence anyone would have as to programming. More Paramount films? SURE! More premieres? SURE! (Yeah, right..........)

• Like 1

Yep. LOL. Money talks. I'm doubtful how much influence anyone would have as to programming. More Paramount films? SURE! More premieres? SURE! (Yeah, right..........)

Here is a donation of $25,000. How about showing more Warren William films?

• Like 6

They should have called it TCM Back Door because that's where they can stick it if you get my drift. ;)
They're moving further away from the core audience and more to the elite who can party on the cruises and drink the wine.

87 bucks each might get them to spring for a decent copy of FRENCHMAN'S CREEK but I doubt it.

• Like 7

I looked at the site that's linked, I could not find where it said that this was a yearly subscription. Granted, I didn't go too deep - as in to the point of signing up to get the terms. The text on the page states "Join a community of like-minded fans, enjoy exclusive benefits and become part of the TCM family for only $87!"

I just couldn't see anything that said it was a yearly fee. I'm not saying it isn't there, but I could not find it. Not that it will make a difference. If I have to pay to have influence, that goes against the grain of my moral compass. There's already enough of that in this world and that's a big reason why I come to TCM - to escape the privileged class and the headlines about them.

• Like 2

Well, if it's a lifetime membership, it might not be bad. But I'll pass for now. Would like to hear from people who join, if it's worth it...........

Is an odd amount to decide upon. 87??

• Like 1

Well, if it's a lifetime membership, it might not be bad. But I'll pass for now. Would like to hear from people who join, if it's worth it...........

I was in broadcast TV programming / research / marketing for 30 years. A lot of that was spent in analyzing data of all kinds, quantitative and qualitative. It's an occupational hazard perhaps, but one starts reading between the lines.

Next the thing will be to grade the memberships, there will be bronze, silver and gold ones, each one getting you a little closer to sitting on Robert's lap or enjoying a "free" glass of TCM wine with Ben when you attend the TCM Cruise. They've reached the point of not just extending the brand, but exploiting it. Meanwhile the core, the channel itself, well there will be more reruns, more cost-effective moves such as the elimination of the announcer and the interactive elements of this site such as Suggest a Movie and Remind Me.

Oddly enough, 87 dollars was just what I spent on getting an "image stabilizer" to offset that October 16 decision to scramble the signal.

• Like 8

AND before others chime in with "Well, this IS a capitalist society & TCM is not a a PBS station..."

yes, I KNOW all that......................just sayin' it's another sad sign of our times and condition

:(

It is NOT a sign of our times and condition.    This is how the USA has always been.   It is what the founders started a revolution for.

• Like 1

clore--I clicked on the link--scroll all the way to the bottom, look at bottom left--"Subscription Agreement"--I don't plan to join after reading that subscription fee will Automatically Renew itself.

BTW--TCM, the subscription agreement says the fee is $85.00 per year.

• Like 3

Full disclosure: I am a pathetic idiot.  In other words, I was actually complimented in February when I received a "Special Invitation" to be part of the TCM Inner CIrcle.  I believed their promises, particularly the sincere-sounding "We will listen to what you have to say."  The three surveys that were the sum total of Inner Circle activities were very definitely "dopey" (as Hibi put it).  And by March, it became obvious that the Inner Circle was not just ill-conceived and poorly operated, it was non-existent.  Now, in April, we find out that TCM dumped it in favor of a pay-to-play scheme.  I understand that the channel needs or wants to increase revenues, but disdaining its most loyal fans is an odd way to start.  As to the "Backlot," it is oddly reminiscent of the "Beg-a-thon," that Ted Turner broadcast when he first started out in television -- eons before he started TCM.  The "Beg-a-Thon," however, was a lot more honest than this new Backlot -- it may have begged viewers for money, but it didn't grant influence over programming in exchange!  In all of this, the new management at TCM seems sadly unworthy. 

• Like 5

clore--I clicked on the link--scroll all the way to the bottom, look at bottom left--"Subscription Agreement"--don't plan to join after reading that subscription fee will Automatically Renew itself.

BTW--TCM, the subscription agreement says the fee is $85.00 per year.

Automatically? No way, no one gets into my finances automatically. I've got the phone and cable companies as well as my co-op willing to automatically remove the charges from my account and I refuse to do that. These guys can't even get a decent print of a movie that's readily available on a gorgeous DVD and I'm going to give them or any affiliated company access to my account? That means they can raise it to $187.00 for the second year and I have no option to refuse until I see the charge on my statement.

But thanks for checking, I do appreciate it.

• Like 3