Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Introducing The TCM Backlot

As to the "Backlot," it is oddly reminiscent of the "Beg-a-thon," that Ted Turner broadcast when he first started out in television -- eons before he started TCM.  The "Beg-a-Thon," however, was a lot more honest than this new Backlot -- it may have begged viewers for money, but it didn't grant influence over programming in exchange!  In all of this, the new management at TCM seems sadly unworthy. 

That does it - no soup for you. No Inner Circle for you. We rescind our offer. From now on, when you tune into TCM. all you will get is the constant rotation of North By Northwest, Funny Girl and Dr. Zhivago - and all in the Frenchman's Creek color scheme. May your Bobble-Head Osborne doll never bobble and your wine turn to vinegar.

• Like 4

I am very sorry to have to appear as backward third-grader who does not understand much of: American culture but could some person please explain why this is appearing now and not on: April 1st? I did think that was only date for such things.

I must wonder also why this is not in: Vicious Rumors or other over-the-top humour thread.

I feel that webpage for it is well done for gag-site even although all links do not work. I feel this dark joke is nearly worthy of: The Onion news-parody site. I have perverse sense of humour and so appreciate jokes of this type.

• Like 6

Automatically? No way, no one gets into my finances automatically. I've got the phone and cable companies as well as my co-op willing to automatically remove the charges from my account and I refuse to do that. These guys can't even get a decent print of a movie that's readily available on a gorgeous DVD and I'm going to give them or any affiliated company access to my account? That means they can raise it to $187.00 for the second year and I have no option to refuse until I see the charge on my statement.

But thanks for checking, I do appreciate it.

Are we the only two people who still have a checking account? My bills are all paid by check except for my supplemental health insurance. Medicare doesn`t cover everything, and I had no options except automatic deduction. The only extra entertainment I have is AMAZON PRIME. The shipping is free, and I have seen many good movies for free. I have watched ABOUT MRS. LESLIE 1954 twice, and TCM is finally showing this excellent film in May during the Robert Ryan tribute.

• Like 2

Are we the only two people who still have a checking account? My bills are all paid by check except for my supplemental health insurance. Medicare doesn`t cover everything, and I had no options except automatic deduction. The only extra entertainment I have is AMAZON PRIME. The shipping is free, and I have seen many good movies for free. I have watched ABOUT MRS. LESLIE 1954 twice, and TCM is finally showing this excellent film in May during the Robert Ryan tribute.

I pay some bills by check and ironically one of them in my Medicare supplement. They don't have online payments and they bill me monthly. I've inquired about paying a year in one shot, just to save me the checks and the postage, but they won't go for it.

But other things such as my phone, my cable-internet bill, my monthly co-op maintenance, even my credit cards are all willing to electronically take a fixed amount from me monthly. However, I learned the hard way a decade ago when I was triple-billed by the phone company on what was to be the first extraction from my account. I exited out of that program pronto and it took quite a bit of time to get it straightened out.

As far as any comparisons to PBS go, I used to give them money but no sooner was one yearly donation sent and they were already bugging me to make an advanced donation for next year's pledge drive. While they didn't give the impression that I might be on TV, they did at least send me some Sesame Street premium - a CD I believe.

• Like 2

But other things such as my phone, my cable-internet bill, my monthly co-op maintenance, even my credit cards are all willing to electronically take a fixed amount from me monthly. However, I learned the hard way a decade ago when I was triple-billed by the phone company on what was to be the first extraction from my account. I exited out of that program pronto and it took quite a bit of time to get it straightened out.

I manually pay mine electronically each month. Never that auto pay. I never know which day they will take it out of my account. And a lot of companies like to slowly raise the prices a dollar here and there. I like to pay it myself so I know about any changes. With auto pay , they can slip things past you. That's why they try so hard to get you to do it.

AND before others chime in with "Well, this IS a capitalist society & TCM is not a a PBS station..."

yes, I KNOW all that......................just sayin' it's another sad sign of our times and condition

:(

I'd love to know when was this time when companies weren't begging for money ? Those who somehow think they should get influence over programming for free, something for nothing, sounds a lot like young people of today. 

I see them simply offering a service for a price. Don't like it, don't take it. No need to complain about something you will never use. I just ignore and move on. For those who wish to use it, I wish them well.

But, don't give this idea that in some fantasy past, life was just shangri la and you didn't have to pay for anything. As long as there has been money, there has been a hand out asking for it.

• Like 3

clore--I clicked on the link--scroll all the way to the bottom, look at bottom left--"Subscription Agreement"--I don't plan to join after reading that subscription fee will Automatically Renew itself.

BTW--TCM, the subscription agreement says the fee is $85.00 per year.

LOL. Forget it.

• Like 2

I wonder if enough viewers do not sign up for BACKLOT, will we keep receiving multiple showings of the same movies and repeated SOTM. It will be a shame if this happens.

Maybe Backlot members will be able to watch a better schedule? :D

We poor souls will be stuck with NBNW every other day!

• Like 4

I just heard the promo for TCM's Back Lot. I heard the word "opportunity" used three times. An opportunity is only a chance, it's not a guarantee but in marketing it's a "hot" word because it's likely to be misinterpreted.

Come the first Saturday in May, I'm going to give you the opportunity to win ten times your investment if you send me 87 dollars for my selection in the Kentucky Derby.

• Like 7

Clearly this is just the latest scheme in the Jennifer Dorian mandate to come up with more "revenue streams."  Guess the Wine Club didn't garner enough $$$ so she had to come up with a new, bogus scheme.  They must think the folks on these message boards are terminally stupid if they imagine we'll pay $87 for vague promises of having some impact on future programming.  I especially like dangling out the "You Could Be A Guest Programmer" nonsense.  Unbelievable.

Lydecker

• Like 3

Clearly this is just the latest scheme in the Jennifer Dorian mandate to come up with more "revenue streams."  Guess the Wine Club didn't garner enough $$$ so she had to come up with a new, bogus scheme.  They must think the folks on these message boards are terminally stupid if they imagine we'll pay $87 for vague promises of having some impact on future programming.  I especially like dangling out the "You Could Be A Guest Programmer" nonsense.  Unbelievable.

Lydecker

I DO believe that you have NO chance of being a guest programmer if you DON'T come up with the $87.

• Like 1

I DO believe that you have NO chance of being a guest programmer if you DON'T come up with the $87.

I wouldnt want to be guest programmer even if I DIDNT have to pay............

So let's see . . . $87 per year adds up to $29 every 4 months.  Nice.  For CaveGirl to achieve being able to blackball any obnoxious guest hosts or guest programmers I believe that fee would extend to $116 per annum. 

~AND~ for the paltry sum of $145 per annum you can get the privilege of sending the TCM Brain Trust a bag full of "colon clearout" kits every October 31 instead of Halloween candy.  So if you feel The Powers That Be need colonic irrigation while they worship some dead Druids here's your opportunity!!!

Now I have inferred that if I don't fork out $87 buckos per year I am no longer a friend to TCM.  I'm just a poxy blighter who gets DirecTv and that bill being paid every month is no longer 'enough' to qualify me as a TCM pal.  I think I'll go drown myself in a canal full of fetching hot horse P! ss  I'm so depressed.  Sniff.  Sniff.  (Tear runs down my cheek).  I jus' thought I was a friend.  You know . . . a friend.  A friend to my friends at TCM.  Now I know I'm just a piece of worthless movie-watching human garbage and nothing else.  Thanks for the harsh update to my reality, TCM.  I mean, I already felt really bad when I couldn't join the Wine Club because I cannot drink spirited beverages (although I CAN swill cough syrup by the truckload!  Yay!) and now I'm too poor to afford 87 extra dollars per year for a whole lotta nothin'.  JEEZ!  I feel like such a piker . . .

I reckon I can expect any recommendations I make to 'SUGGEST A MOVIE' will now be *doubly* ignored.  

I like what Mr Clore said; soon enough there's bound to be gradations in the TCM Elite Packages you can buy.  Bronze member, Silver Member, Gold Member, Platinum Member.  But what happens when you let your Elite Member Package lapse?  Will TCM send you some un-curated wine that's foul-tasting with loads of Evil Cork floating around in the purple-ish liquid?  Will you get a horsehead sent to your home by the TCM Enforcer Squad to remind you to renew, reNEW, RENEW!!!  Or will you simply get a box of employee toe jam that's been scraped off unwashed socks . . . ? 

I guess I have mused enough for the time being. 

No, wait!  I've got it!  ► If you let your Gold Membership lapse TCM sends you a ßeta copy of the 'Public Domain' FRENCHMAN'S CREEK print they've been showing lately.   :)   

• Like 4

If you're camera shy, I'll go on and present your films.

I'm very very shy, Down but I will fork over 87 bucks for an all day festival of Grant Williams' films.

Could you host that for me? I'll give you 20 samolians [sp?]?

I'm very very shy, Down but I will fork over 87 bucks for an all day festival of Grant Williams' films.

Could you host that for me? I'll give you 20 samolians [sp?]?

OK, but first you'll have to tell me who Grant Williams is. Is he the guy who was on "Melrose Place"? That was Grant Something-or-other.

Matthew Broderick had to pay only $28

LOL

Yeah, well, THAT'S of course because he did SO "well" presenting those screwball comedies a few years back, and so got himself a discount.

(..."excellence" should always be rewarded, ya know)

• Like 1

If you're camera shy, I'll go on and present your films.

NO THANKS. And I'm sure it would be ONE FILM. That's what they did the last time around when they had viewer programmers.

OK, but first you'll have to tell me who Grant Williams is. Is he the guy who was on "Melrose Place"? That was Grant Something-or-other.

60's hunk who appeared in some WB films and tv series. Wasnt he on Surfside Six? Was he the Green Hornet?

60's hunk who appeared in some WB films and tv series. Wasnt he on Surfside Six? Was he the Green Hornet?

Grant Williams

Grant%2BWilliams.PNG

best known film The Incredible Shrinking Man

He co-starred in Hawaiian Eye.

The Green Hornet was Van Williams.