Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Introducing The TCM Backlot

Yes, I've heard that before - that the cable companies in Canada are bringing a "pick and pay" system to our television programming. Only I heard it was supposed to be happening already; the date I thought it was going to take place was March 1 - just a couple of months ago. But nothing has changed, so I suppose the December date you'd heard must be right.

I'm really concerned about this. Turner Classic Movies is just about my favourite station in our cable package - in fact, other than TVO and the two CBCs (which I think I'd get anyway), it's the only one I really care about.

I'd be truly heart broken if I couldn't get TCM anymore. It's been available here in Ontario since 2006. That's ten years of TCM for me, ten years of watching and learning about one of my very favourite things: movies.

Hopefully there will be enough Canadians who value TCM as much as I do, and whose numbers will justify including TCM as one of the "picks" in "pick and pay".

• Like 1

I'm really concerned about this. Turner Classic Movies is just about my favourite station in our cable package - in fact, other than TVO and the two CBCs (which I think I'd get anyway), it's the only one I really care about.

How many channels are commonly carried on Canadian cable packages? Do you generally have access to all of the channels we do in the States? I'm sure with a dish you can get whatever channels are out there, but I'm just curious about the average cable package.

Where I live (in the rural south) our cable still offers some 250+ channels on various tiers.

How many channels are commonly carried on Canadian cable packages? Do you generally have access to all of the channels we do in the States? I'm sure with a dish you can get whatever channels are out there, but I'm just curious about the average cable package.

Where I live (in the rural south) our cable still offers some 250+ channels on various tiers.

Sorry, Lawrence, I don't have the answers to your questions. I can only speak for my own cable situation.

I switched my cable provider, about two and a half years ago, from Rogers to Bell. Rogers was fine, I only changed because Bell was offering a great deal at the time.

I chose a medium price package, I'm not sure how many stations I get, since there at most only about 12 I care about at all, and I made sure I got all of those. TCM of course was one of them.

I have no idea how many American channels we get in Ontario. I imagine it depends on the cable package and what sort of digital reception you get. Besides, there are so many different ways now to receive television programming and to watch tv shows, television cable providing now is almost irrelevant. I'm one of the few old-fashioned hold-outs.

• Like 1