Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
disgusted

TCM commercial

The tattooed mini-skirted woman featured in a TCM commercial which ran Saturday morning at 10 a.m. was disturbing, disgusting and completely inappropriate for the TCM channel. The contrast and irony was not lost on us when "The Sunny Side of Life" ad ran immediately following that horrendous display of misguided advertising. Please don't try to peg me as ultra-conservative - I'm a Kent State University graduate with filmaking experience. Please pull that dog of an ad from your channel and give us all a break.

[nobr]I'll bet the promo is fantastic as usual![/nobr]

Can't wait to see it!!!! B-)

//The contrast and irony was not lost on us//

Us?

[nobr]eck13.gif[/nobr]

Sorry 'disgusted' but that commercial/promo is simply astounding. You are out of touch.

With someone as cool and conflicted as William Holden as SOM, with groundbreaking visuals in the 24 hour marathon of shorts, and finally, but not least, the cinematic masterpieces on display for the Janus 50th anniversary collection, the promo needs to be demanding, dreamy, and quite possibly, disturbing.

Anything less would be an insult to the films themselves.

That spot is EXTREMELY cool - I only came over here looking for

the artist/band on the song - LOVE it !!

It may not be "classic" but it definitely appeals to

the "noir" lust in my black heart -

After all, TCM is the closest thing to celebrating the ART of film that

you are likely to see in this part of the 'burbs.

"little boxes made of tickey tackey and they all look just the same..."

Maxxi

Nashville

I am curious. How many tattooed ladies do you guys see in the cities where you live?

I live in a small town in a Southwestern state, and I see a lot of women with tattoos here.

For example, if I'm in a Wal-Mart that has about 200 shopping ladies in it, I'd guess that about 20 or 30 or more will have tattoos. Some are older ladies and some are teenagers.

I don't care for it, I would like them to stick to the likes of the syncopation station and the sunny side of life. I don't see what a topless tattooed woman has to do with classic movies.

I think there is an honest attempt at creating new art on TCM's part. If all you can see in the latest' This month is tatoos, than I think your missing the point. Don't forget how so many of TCM's library was initially rejected by the masses. Art is not always pleasent.

> I think there is an honest attempt at creating new

> art on TCM's part. If all you can see in the latest'

> This month is tatoos, than I think your missing the

> point. Don't forget how so many of TCM's library was

> initially rejected by the masses. Art is not always

> pleasent.

cinesagejr, where are you?

I'm not sure what trains, big band music and Edward Hopper have to do with classic movies. And yet, they are all present in the Syncopation Station promo and Sunny Side of Life thing that runs in the morning.

Yeah, This month sept is a demanding promo, but if you saw the Scorsese on Scorsese promo, or the one with Clark Gable and Beck from last year, or even the Future Shock stuff from last year too, you'll see that TMc has for some time been experimenting with really sophisticated promos. The September promo really isn't all that different, tattoos or not. (and really what is the big deal? One of the great actors currently working today has tattoos all over: johnny depp)

Tattoos have become much more acceptable in recent decades.

A lot of us here are just old school though, myself included.

> The tattooed mini-skirted woman featured in a TCM

> commercial which ran Saturday morning at 10 a.m. was

> disturbing, disgusting and completely inappropriate

> for the TCM channel. The contrast and irony was not

> lost on us when "The Sunny Side of Life" ad ran

> immediately following that horrendous display of

> misguided advertising. Please don't try to peg me as

> ultra-conservative - I'm a Kent State University

> graduate with filmaking experience. Please pull that

> dog of an ad from your channel and give us all a

> break.

Well, you tried to bring some Silent Majority logic to the image and presentation of TCM. But, as usual, the "anything goes" crowd that really should be watching HBO or Showtime or IFC jumped down your throat. Thanks anyway.

The harlot should be flogged - by the Majority - which is moral - and silent!

Then we'll get TMC to stop showing "Lolita" - and of course Piper Laurie's

"character" in "The Hustler" disqualifies that piece of junk -

Come to think of it, you know those musicians in the big band -

the "good" promo - I bet they been smokin that wackey tabackey -

better pull that too - and what about that Robert Osbourne ? He related

to that Uzzie character?

Keeping America safe,

Maxxi

The channel is TCM - Turner Classic Movies, not THS - Turner Hot Stuff. I'm afraid, folks that our TCM programmers are definitely doing what the entire entertainment industry is doing - aiming at the younger generation. Well lets regular watchers for the last 10 years enjoy it while we can, I give it maybe two years before we have 1990's smut, blood, and guts offered, which is what's offered in the theaters right now, with an occasional oddity. Keep your videos and dvds dusted off, before too long that's all we'll have. Or we can stay here and remark about how WONDERFUL Johnny Depp is, and if memory serves right, he's played a xcrungy pirate twice, a haunted author, a children's author, and a wierdo, altho I'm sure I've missed a few. Gee, how could I do that?!

Anne

Didn't Johnny Depp co-star with Robert Mitchum (another bad boy) in "Dead Man"?

You know, Johnny Depp...The guy that channeled Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin in "Benny & Joon"?

Didn't he also co-star with Vincent Price in "Edward Scissorhands"?

"Don Juan Demarco"...Marlon Brando, anyone?

And I think there was something classic-movie-related about "Ed Wood," but I can't remember what it was.

Anyway, Johnny Depp has credibility. He's not an empty-headed actor. Seems to me the guy is influenced by the classics. He also has tattoos. Big deal.

But I digress. Back to the newly-christened "Turner Hot Stuff" channel...I gotta check out the very chaste stuff like "Baby Face" and "The Barbarian." (Myrna Loy didn't have tatts in that one, but she is naked in the bath. YES!)

"I give it maybe two years before we have 1990's smut, blood, and guts offered..."

Oh come on. I refer to the pre-Code films as evidence that "smut" is entirely up to one's interpretation. Films like "Baby Face" or later things like "Double Indemnity" pushed the line of good taste. Meanwhile, "Scarface: The Shame of a Nation" riddled gentle souls with its tommy gun depictions of spasmatic violence. Scarface was released in 1932.

And have you ever seen "Sanjuro," a Japanese film released in 1962? A classic of world cinema, directed by Akira Kurosawa. It has a depiction of gore at the end that would make the dreaded practioners of 1990's "blood and guts" wince.

Films like "Sunset Boulevard" (William Holden was sleeping with Gloria Swanson! He was her boy-toy!) or "Yojimbo" (another Kurosawa classic, depicting much blood-letting) or any number of films being shown in September are dangerous. Many of them I wouldn't show my 8-year-old...yet.

Classic doesn't mean safe.

This promo is indicative of TCM's understanding of this truth.

One final comment from moi' - (this isn't exactly a debate about world peace)

I don't think we need to worry about TCM selling out - they are a niche and the

only one quite like it - I think it's the best channel on TV and I'm only 52 -

I say, ONLY 52 - I love it just the way it is, however:

That promo is for a specific event - a film festival or something - so .....

AND - the programming seems to speak to a little higher intellect than

the Retro channel or AMC -

Whoever decided to run the cool, sexy, beautiful, fun, sinful wench commercial obviously gave the audience enough credit to accept it for what it is -

They think we can handle it -

Peace,

G'Nite

Some Like It Hot is coming on !!!

Maxxi

Bbunny1940

I apologize...I should not have jumped on your choice of Johnny Depp as an example. It may seem obvious that I do not like him, Not true. I just don't like his choice of film, but then I don't like many films made since about 1990. My daughter literally sat on my lap to force me to watch 'Pirates of the Carribbean' but it was not for me. Other posters will tell you I'm not ordinarily snide or pick at people because of their likes or dislikes and again I truly apologize, because I was very wrong.

Unfortunately I have never heard of 'Dead Man' so I looked it up in IMDb, and don't think I ever will watch it, however, I doubt that Depp 'co-starred' with Mitchum, Mitchum's name is too far down on the list, he probably did a small cameo. Again, I'm sorry, but I have been so disappointed in so many movies in the last 16 years, that I stick with the oldies that I know are wholesome (never saw 'Baby Face' so I can't discount, or agree, your statement on that) but again, I disliked '. . . Scissorhands, Ed Wood, and Benny and Joon.' I have the DVD for 'Finding Neverland' (got it for my grandkids) but they weren't interested, so I tried to give it away, but nobody would take it.

Finally. everyone raves about 'As Good as it Gets', but I found it boring, stupid, and totally reproachful considering the attitude to Greg Kinear, so you see, I just don't appreciate much about newer movies.

Anne

P.S. I don't like Barbra Streisand as a singer either, but I think she's a terrific actress.

"Finally. everyone raves about 'As Good as it Gets', but I found it boring, stupid, and totally reproachful considering the attitude to Greg Kinear, so you see, I just don't appreciate much about newer movies."

Well now, not everyone raves about it. I thought it was derivative, cliched and unbelievable. Yup: hated it. I left the theatre while rolling my eyes. But I still love the art form of cinema -- yes, even in its current guise...

:)

Bunny:

I hope you saw my apology, I meant it, but my defense of my opinion of Johnny Depp is just that, defense of my opinion. In the meantime after I finished typing, I saw your following reply,

"I give it maybe two years before we have 1990's smut, blood, and

guts offered..."

Smut was a stupid word to use, it's so 19th century, but I couldn't think of anything else. But regarding 'Double Identity, and 'Sunset Boulevard', in the old movies, those people ended up dead. They weren't allowed to go on. Nowadays, so often that type of person does something good and they are forgiven, that's the difference. Also, I'm not a fan of foreign films, I've said before, when it comes to subtitles, if I want to read, I'll pick up a book. I hope we're o.k. on the apology, because I certainly don't mean to form enemies. Additionally, I haven't seen the tattoo commercial, I just feel a change coming on my favorite channel, it's on in my house nearly 24/7, and after seeing the previews for channels CBS and NBC last night, I doubt I'll be watching very much network from now on.

Anne

Jack,

Be careful rolling those eyes, you could miss the curb and get hurt. You know, I Love the Cinema too, but like I said, I've been so disappointed in what I thought was going to be a 'smasher' and ended up 'rolling my eyes. 'The Aviator' broke my heart because I love Leonardo, and that feeling has happened time and again in the past few years, with maybe six exceptions.

Whoops, time for the 4400.

Anne

> I gotta check out the very

> chaste stuff like "Baby Face" and "The Barbarian."

> (Myrna Loy didn't have tatts in that one, but she is

> naked in the bath. YES!)

Thanks, I hadn't heard of The Barbarian before and have added it my DVD list.

And of course the restored, unedited version of Baby Face not seen for over 70 years is coming to DVD as part of the Forbidden Hollywood Collection Vol. 1 on Dec. 5 !!!

Gotta have my pre-codes.