Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
disgusted

TCM commercial

?These promos are more like little videos than commercials and the music is better than anything I hear on the FM. Most people have eclectic tastes, and how you going to lure a new generation to how fabulous and important classic films are, if you use the same tired style of advertising. You are stuck in the "Leave it to Beaver" era?

That?s a very good point, and you might have discovered the real truth behind the ?tattooed lady? promo. It?s not a ?promo? at all, not for the specific ?films of the month?, but for TCM in general. It?s a little mini-video designed to let some of the young people in the audience know that TCM is ?hip? and that it?s ok for young people to watch TCM.

great point all. It appears that TCM is reaching out to the younger viewer in concept as well as programming. I never thought about it in terms of the telescope. neat.

I didn't have a problem with the visual, in fact, I thought it was kinda neat, the way the promo was black and white, but with an otherwise contemporary look. I even thought it was kinda neat, and very clever, that the tattooed woman saw classic movies from her telescope (regardless of whether she held the telescope correctly, or not).

What I did have a problem with, however, is the accompanying music to the promo.

Absolutely unlistenable, especially when paired with visuals of beautiful, classic movies. My 15 year old niece, and my 55 year old cousin, both expressed simultaneous disgust at the music. Seems it doesn't please anyone.

Is this promo being shown on other channels such as the networks, MTV, VHS, etc?

If not, then how is the young demographic going to be influenced by this promo unless they are watching TCM anyway? The odds of them channel surfing and just happening to catch it are not very good as it is only played a handful of times per day. I say this because I don't have the remotest clue as to what may be playing on those other channels and so they could be running around-the-clock promos for a solid month of Leila Hyam's movies uncut, unedited and commercial free and I would never know.

So their promos are aimed at keeping what young demographic that they already have from going astray?

Seems it doesn't please anyone.

kiala, I have been listening to Time Is Running Out almost nonstop since I found out the name of it. Never say never.

I am 56, a curmudgeon, love Pink Floyd, Perry Como, Bach, Grieg, Glenn Miller...well, you get the point. Now I also love whatEVER the name of that band was that did the Volkswagen commercial of some years ago and now Muse and Radiohead too.

So, one never knows, do one?

NortBanba, excellent point, I hadn't thought of that. I'm not sure where those who like anime saw that TCM was playing it when they came to the channel...unless they too were already here...but those who think Black. White. is high art will not be finding their way to TCM because of a promo that I only saw from being directed to it online here because of all the hubbub.

Again, you make a good point, that TCM is trying to keep the demographic that spends the most whom they already have as an audience.

And as I've said before, the furor this has all generated translates into 'eyeballs', doesn't it? And 'eyeballs' translate into a positive for TCM?

Makes your head spin, doesn't it? Well, it does mine. :0

dolores

"Is this promo being shown on other channels such as the networks, MTV, VHS, etc?"

I've seen TCM promos played at movie theatres, along with the trailers...

"What I did have a problem with, however, is the accompanying music to the promo.

Absolutely unlistenable, especially when paired with visuals of beautiful, classic movies. My 15 year old niece, and my 55 year old cousin, both expressed simultaneous disgust at the music. Seems it doesn't please anyone."

Okay, it looks like I have to make a confession. First, let me say that I have a music degree (in Opera Production, at that). When I was in high school and the other kids were rocking out, I was listening to Rachmaninoff. But after hearing this promo, I went out and bought two Muse albums, including Absolution which features the song "Time is Running Out". I hadn't mentioned it here because people seemed so virulently against it. Well, I'm coming out of the closet: I love the song. Some have claimed it has no melody, which bewildered me because I couldn't get the melody out of my head. I was singing it at work all day (aren't you lucky you don't work with me?!).

So it's not that the music doesn't please anyone, but maybe that we're cowed into silence. There, I feel better. You all know my dark secret. I love this song. Thank you TCM!

:)

I had no idea that they showed these things in theaters. I will have to watch it again to see if it is letterboxed.

What movies or theaters are they showing these trailers at? It would be interesting to see what modern movies audiences that TCM is targeting for their promos.

"Is this promo being shown on other channels such as the networks, MTV, VHS, etc?">>

I have seen TCM promos on other channels. Can't remember which ones, but I know I have because I remarked to Mr Cutter that TCM must have gotten some extra dollars in the marketing budget for advertising.

> I had no idea that they showed these things in

> theaters. I will have to watch it again to see if it

> is letterboxed.

>

> What movies or theaters are they showing these

> trailers at? It would be interesting to see what

> modern movies audiences that TCM is targeting for

> their promos.

I've seen the TCM promos in the theaters I go to also, which mainly show independent films.

Brad

I've seen the TCM promos in the theaters I go to also, which mainly show independent films.

Brad

Holy Canoli:

I'm really happy to get that tidbit of info.

Anne

Message was edited by:

mrsl

Brad,

Thanks for the response.

I have another question. What are the TCM promos that you have seen in the theaters promoting? Are they promoting independent films, foreign language films, or studio-era classics? Or maybe something else? I think that this is very telling as to where TCM might be heading in the future.

I've also seen the promos in non-art house theatres. AMC theatres, for instance, have played the promos. The promos I have seen in the theatres are exactly the same as the ones we see on TCM; they aren't made specfically for cinema viewing...

The promos that I have seen on other channels are the same ones that run on TCM.

TCMProgrammr has posted here numerous times about the leases they are working on (to run until for at least the next 10 years, sometimes 20 years) for classic studio era films so that they can run them, so TCM is not changing its direction to only start running art films, or independent films, or foreign films.

TCM has always been about showing all cinema and is very inclusive in their programming as opposed to exclusive.

I just watched the promo again and it is letterboxed and so is probably the same as that which is shown in the theaters.

> I've seen the TCM promos in the theaters I go

> to also, which mainly show independent films.

>

> Brad

>

> Holy Canoli:

>

> I'm really happy to get that tidbit of info.

>

> Anne

>

> Message was edited by:

> mrsl

Hi Anne,

I might be a little dense here, but I have no idea if you're being sarcastic or not

Brad

Not sarcastic ro YOU Brad, just about where the promos are being shown, e.g. independent movie houses, MTV channels, other channels, etc. Seems like a harbinger of things to come, no matter what anybody else says. I'm afraid, that when I'm 65 I'll be watching a lot of my tapes instead of the actual T.V. Starting right now we have a 1962 movie, then a 1963 movie then finally a 1967 movie. Although October and November have lots of classics scheduled, verrrry slowly the tide is changing. Albeit the three movies I mentioned were all classics from the day they were released. If I may be so bold, I'll borrow an ad line from another Turner Broadcasting channel, "showing tomorrows classics today".

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my opinion, (my rightful opinion), my choice to make the comment, my opinion which is not directed at any one person on a personal basis, only my opinion.

Anne

Of course, mrsl, you are correct. TCM took a lesson from AMC, which changed into crap overnight, so they are doing it gradually. They have to change in order to 'remain competitive', a favorite catch phrase of corporate America. We all know that. However, since they are THE only decent station in a sea of swill, we also have the right to comment on the obvious change as we here are so passionate about TCM.

Yup, keep offering your opinions. We all shall.

Would you like a popsicle, in the meantime?

dolores

You guys and gals are also aware, I hope, that TCM regularly advertises in the magazine The New Yorker. Their readership does not exactly correlate to MTV viewers.

You see, I'm starting to think that TCM is not going after "kids" (i.e., MTV viewers) but rather educated, upscale, and globally aware twenty- and thirty-somethings. I mean, think about it. The people most likely to be "turned on" by the Janus festival are people who buy Criterion DVDs, and those are pretty darned expensive DVDs.

> I'd love to

> know what that film has the person sliding sideways

> along a wall.

It's "Orpheus," directed by Jean Cocteu. Careful: it's a foreign picture.

> That?s a very good point, and you might have

> discovered the real truth behind the ?tattooed lady?

> promo. It?s not a ?promo? at all, not for the

> specific ?films of the month?, but for TCM in

> general. It?s a little mini-video designed to let

> some of the young people in the audience know that

> TCM is ?hip? and that it?s ok for young people to

> watch TCM.

Is that bad?

[nobr]Good memo, Quiller. A keen observation that.[/nobr]

Actually, this promo has grown on me.

As I have happened upon it again on several occasions in between film-viewings.

I've really started to warm to the tune and the film as a whole.

Intelligence allows for change.

This is not the first instance I've come round to an artwork.

And it likely won't be the last, thank goodness.

"I don't want knowledge; I want certainty."

That's just not for me.

Again . . . thank goodness for such luck.

S A M

[nobr]527.gif[/nobr]

[nobr]//So it's not that the music doesn't please anyone, but maybe that we're cowed into silence. There, I feel better. You all know my dark secret. I love this song. Thank you TCM!//[/nobr]

Thank you, Jack, for breaking your silence. :-)

As I confessed just previously to Qwill: I've developed an appreciation for the tune, now. Though I never had a vitriolic (or other such absurd) reaction to it in the first place anyway. Now I'm finding it catchy, and am enjoying observing how the lyrics correlate to the footage and filler.

Though I haven't been inspired to pursue music from this Muse band yet as I did of Cake and Goldfrapp from the past promo's. Have really enjoyed the Goldfrapp album - Supernature - that Ooh La La came from.

And - uhoh - I've already grooved on the TCMUnderground promo.

Though the verdict is still out on that tune. ;-)

~Peace~

S A M

[nobr]527.gif[/nobr]

From the TCM website, dated December 24, 1997:

Turner Classic Movies, a 24-hour cable network from Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., presents the greatest motion pictures of all time, from the 1920s through the 1980s, commercial-free and without interruption.

Seems they have made an exception or three for the 31 Days of Oscar when they include the occasional film from the 1990s or 2000s and an occasional silent film from pre-1920.

Thanks to Kyle for providing the address of the wayback machine where the above page can be found:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://tcm.turner.com

You see, I'm starting to think that TCM is not going after "kids" (i.e., MTV viewers) but rather educated, upscale, and globally aware twenty- and thirty-somethings.>>

They are also the future of film preservation. Without the preservation, the films we know and love will not exist in the future. Most of the major studios are involved with the restoration and preservation of their libraries but across this country and throughout the world, those working at the studios and at archives wrestle everyday with how to best spend the few dollars they have.

Should the market for films on DVD (or whatever the next technology is) tank in the years ahead, the studios will cut back on their preservation and restoration.

Continuing to help the next generation to enjoy and appreciate classic films (no matter the genre, the originating country, silent, subtitled, dubbed, etc) helps ensure that these films will live on long after we are gone.

Many film archivists and preservationists are worried about what will happen to films made in the 20th Century in the years ahead, especially as those working the front lines retire.

Will the next generation have the same fire in the belly for silents, foreign films, pre-codes, studio films, independent films and especially black and white films, to make their life's work helping to preserve this unique art form?

Otherwise, the films we know and love risk decaying in their cans and just because they have been transferred to a digital format is no guarantee that, in the future, that format will even be viable much less usable.

Preservation, like film, is an art and without the foot soldiers who live it, breath it and love it enough to ensure its safety for the next generation, it can be lost to history in the time it takes to make a bad decision.

Example of a bad decision, melt down the original negatives of many films for the silver content for the war effort in WW2 because, after all, who is going to want to watch those films twenty years from now anyways. Besides we have dupe negs (no matter how bad they look), no one is going to care.

And we wonder today, why it took so long to get a decent print of "Stagecoach".