• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
disgusted

TCM commercial

> It's "Orpheus," directed by Jean Cocteu. Careful:

> it's a foreign picture.

Ah excellent! It looked an awful lot like BeB but I would have remembered that shot. I can't wait to see it! Thank you!

This is the most critical period for film preservation. If we're careful we can preserve (and restore) pretty much everything that exists and is still in one piece. The key is to be able to digitize all of it so there's no risk of future loss Off film, it's as safe as safe will ever get. Once digitized, they can be restored later on when time and money permit. Archiving is the priority and it's a race against time. We've already lost most of the silents and many Technicolor and Eastmancolor films are fading into oblivion. It's exceptionally important that we stop this process now, while we still have an idea of what the original color timing values were. In some cases we're lucky enough to have people who worked on the original productions or the original timing values, but I think most people would be shocked at how disorganized studio archives are. There are films lost in these vaults. Plenty of the archivists, as job security, developed private code systems so that only they knew what was where. All film stock decays over time, even when kept in climate-controlled hermetically-sealed vaults, however for over half of cinema's lifetime nobody thought these films would ever see the light of day again. There was no aftermarket after a primary run was over, so films were stashed away with little care, frequently in sealed closets, subject to the hot climate of California. With so little care, fires were frequent given the flamability of early film stock, and what didn't burn slowly started to crumble to dust.

We have to get it now while the getting is good.

> They are also the future of film preservation.

> Without the preservation, the films we know and love

> will not exist in the future. Most of the major

> studios are involved with the restoration and

> preservation of their libraries but across this

> country and throughout the world, those working at

> the studios and at archives wrestle everyday with

> how to best spend the few dollars they have.

>

> Should the market for films on DVD (or whatever the

> next technology is) tank in the years ahead, the

> studios will cut back on their preservation and

> restoration.

Good find. I wonder if the Cher movie was one of the greatest motion pictures of all time, in 1997...or 1998...or 1999? No matter, they hold the gold and they make the rules.

Good point on film preservation too, lzcutter. I wonder if AMC is still into film preservation, they were too when they were a quality station.

>>

> Okay, it looks like I have to make a confession.

> First, let me say that I have a music degree (in

> Opera Production, at that). When I was in high

> school and the other kids were rocking out, I was

> listening to Rachmaninoff. But after hearing this

> promo, I went out and bought two Muse albums,

> including Absolution which features the song

> "Time is Running Out". I hadn't mentioned it here

> because people seemed so virulently against it.

> Well, I'm coming out of the closet: I love the

> song. Some have claimed it has no melody, which

> bewildered me because I couldn't get the melody out

> of my head. I was singing it at work all day

> (aren't you lucky you don't work with me?!).

>

> So it's not that the music doesn't please

> anyone, but maybe that we're cowed into

> silence. There, I feel better. You all know my dark

> secret. I love this song. Thank you TCM!

>

>Rock on, Mr Burley! I like listening to harder edged stuff at work, it keeps me energized during the day. And I need all the help I can get with energy............lol

Beauty and the Beast is amazing as well. Nothing like Disney, much more phantasmic (if thats a word). Definately worth the watch.

I was flipping channels and just saw the video for "Time is Running out" by Muse on FUSE tv!! Apparently it is the #5 most requested video on the f-list. Isn't this from an old Muse album???

Anyone know?? I like the TCM ad better than the actual video. I think you can see it on Youtube.com too.

if anybody finds a link to the video (for download or viewing etc) please come back and post it here. (excellent promo vid btw.)

speaking of excellent... good job disgusted for starting such a lengthy thread where by far most disagree with you which in turn became a promotional thread itself for the video. while not deserving kudos as much as those who made the video, you get some form of minor credit for this thread.

>That?s a very good point, and you might have

> discovered the real truth behind the ?tattooed lady?

> promo. It?s not a ?promo? at all, not for the

> specific ?films of the month?, but for TCM in

> general. It?s a little mini-video designed to let

> some of the young people in the audience know that

> TCM is ?hip? and that it?s ok for young people to

> watch TCM.

?Is that bad??

Well, I?ll give you my personal opinion if you promise not to yell at me. I prefer the other type of promo in which they use the young girl and boy, both film students, and the girl talks about the scene in ?To Kill a Mockingbird? where Gregory Peck is sitting in the swing on the front porch. I?ve often suggested that TCM should air more promos like that, since many universities now have AV and film departments and also many high schools have film and TV production departments too. These students would just love to go on TCM and talk about classic films. On a local TV station where I live, the news department occasionally shows short films and videos produced by local junior high and high school students. I think TCM should run more promos with these kinds of kids actually in the promos.

I became a classic movie fan when I was 10 years old and saw King Kong for the first time, after my father had been telling me about it for years. A year later I got to see ?Gone With the Wind?. I also eventually saw ?King of Kings? which my father told me about. I was about 22 years old when I tracked down a rare showing of ?Citizen Kane? when I was in New York in 1964. I was lucky enough to find a theater showing ?The Grapes of Wrath? when I was 22. I saw ?Birth of a Nation? on TV when I was about 15. I saw ?The Divorcee? when I was about 15, and also ?Svengali?. I recognized ?High Noon? as a ?classic? the first time I saw it in the theater in 1952. I thought ?Treasure of the Sierra Madre? would become a classic when I saw it in ?48 or ?49. I could tell the difference in the quality between films like Treasure and High Noon, as compared to Lash Larue and Wild Bill Elliot films. I loved ?The Night of the Hunter? when it came out in 1955, and I saw ?Battleground? as a classic when I saw it around 1950, and I recognized the high quality of ?Invasion of the Body Snatchers? and ?The Day the Earth Stood Still?.

Over the years I met other classic film lovers who started watching classics when they were quite young, and I?ve read reports from teenagers on this board about how they became classic movie fans at an early age.

So, TCM already has a very large and youthful ?potential? audience all across the country, from the early teens to people in their 20s and 30s. I think TCM should concentrate on promos for this type of sensible, intelligent, educated, and mature young audience. It?s time that TCM stop having just older people talking about classic films. They should have young film students in the TCM living room set talking about classics. They should go out into the field with a film crew and interview young student film-makers while they are making their own films. Heck, why not have some pre-teens on the set talking about the Lassy films and National Velvet and the funny silent Chaplin films?

This tattooed **** with the telescope, who throws a bucked of dirt on her bed and smears lipstick all over her face and takes her blouse off and walks out on a balcony, is more oriented toward mentally disturbed young people and drug addicts, in my opinion. I don?t want that type people to start showing up here on this board.

I will probably be lynched for saying these things, but I know I?m right. I used to do news and feature-report interviews with kids when I was a news reporter. I produced a whole series of reports about the 1964 World?s Fair in New Orleans and I had our lady reporter interview only pre-teen kids. The reporter was just great with kids and none of them froze up as some kids do when they are interviewed by adults. The audience of all ages loved these types of interviews with intelligent and articulate kids and the kids loved having their opinions respected by adults.

?The tattooed mini-skirted woman featured in a TCM commercial which ran Saturday morning at 10 a.m. was disturbing, disgusting and completely inappropriate for the TCM channel.?

You are absolutely right. It?s like a ?Keep on the scummy side of life? promo.

This board has become a joke anyway,and I haven't even watched TCM this month. I'm watching it less and less,as it becomes infested by political correctness(except when it comes to offending people who still don't care for 'the scummy side' as you so succintly put it) and movies from an era that by no stretch of the imagination can be called "classic Hollywood".

Like you, I became a fan of classic Hollywood and the silver screen at a young age and without having it 'dumbed down' . It was already relevant,as part of film history(the best part),and interesting (that period of movie-making was the most vital,before television had made inroads). If we were able to love it for what it was,why wouldn't kids now? And the ones who wouldn't,well,they wouldn't love it unless it became TCM the hip hop channel,and then there's no TCM classic movies anyway. It's a shame,the forums and the channel gone to hell all together.

I'm removing this board from my bookmarks and TCM from my favorite channels.

That's my opinion, other's mileage may vary.

Well, don?t go away entirely. If we classic movie fans all go away from this board, and the zombies, vampires, EMOs, punks, and goths take over, TCM will think they?re doing the right thing by showing crappy films.

I just saw the new Rob Zombie promo tonight. It is filled with the most file scenes from some of the worst horror shows ever made, and the music was nothing but screeching, yelling, and screaming, all the way through.

> This board has become a joke anyway,and I haven't

> even watched TCM this month. I'm watching it less and

> less,as it becomes infested by political

> correctness(except when it comes to offending people

> who still don't care for 'the scummy side' as you so

> succintly put it) and movies from an era that by no

> stretch of the imagination can be called "classic

> Hollywood".

I swear I don't know what you people are talking about. Infested with the "scummy side"? Exactly what is scummy on TCM aside from this brief commercial? Like I've said before and I'll say again, about 98 % of TCM programming is still classic movies from 30's to 60's. I really don't get you two at all.

Infested with the "scummy side"?

With my sick sense of humor, I'm imagining how a "The Scummy Side of Life" promo might look. Heh.

I just had to post here and say that while I was doing my laundry today, I kept humming under my breath and then I realized that I was humming "Time is Running Out." I didn't like the song before, but that is one catchy song.

I watched the promo a few more times this weekend and I have to say that I enjoy how the "****" (as it's so eloquently put around here) is scooping out coffee and then they cut to the scene from one of the David Lynch shorts, where the kid is spreading soil on his bed. I really enjoy how much care is put into these promos. It's remarkable, especially when you think of all the movies TCM shows and how they edit clips to fit the lyrics. The William Holden floating in a pool, juxtaposed with the lines about drowning really got to me. I like it more and more everytime I see it.

Also, Fred, I'm impressed you know about the Emo's! Is TCM starting an Emo Movie Showcase that I don't know about? All sad movies, all day long?

seems to be an unusual number of very narrow minded people posting in this thread. and since everybody has varrying opinions it just goes to show there doesn't have to be a cookie cutter profile of individuals who enjoy TCM and film in general. go figure.

My r.a.b. friends (those into tattoos, body piercings and the like) have a saying: the difference between people with tattoos and people without is that the people with them don't care that others choose not to get them.

This thread seems to illustrate that perfectly. For Fred and some others the fact that TCM has movies that don't fit their idea of what the channel should show is offensive. It doesn't matter that TCM is still showing stuff that fits their personal definition of "classic," just the existence of things they won't watch is reason for outrage.

There's just not a whole lot you can do with people like that, especially if they insist on using terms like "sluts" and saying things like "I know I'm right."

They're sort of like Bush supporters -- no matter how divorced from reality they are, you can't convince them otherwise. Best just to let them alone and hope they wake up eventually.

is more oriented toward mentally disturbed young people and drug addicts, in my opinion. I don?t want that type people to start showing up here on this board.

Fred, I admire you and what you have done in your life, and have to say I am surprised at this. But of course I respect your right to say it.

I am one of the most ornery people I know, yet I imagine with all that I am open-minded. I love the promo, for reasons I have shared.

I like motorcycles, but am too chicken to ride them. I like tattoos, but am too chicken to get them. I do wear a buzz cut and am not into makeup or possessions. I love my dog more than most of the people I know.

I hate Charlie Chaplin, Leonardo DiCaprio and most movies made after 1955.

I am a-political, a-religious and a-corporate America. I am old, I speak my mind and I enjoy being all of the aforementioned.

IF all this makes me 'mentally disturbed', then so be it.

But I am simply asTOUNDed at the reaction to this promo. I imagine Raygun has the Rob Zombie promo up and running, so I can't wait to see if I hate or love that one. I watched the Sept. promo again, and still love it. Honestly, it reminds me of the best of MTV, and of the Chuck Braverman clips on the Smothers Brothers Show.

Most of all, I am enjoying reading the diverse opinions that this promo has generated and also enjoying the fact that we are talking about it while trying to be polite.

dolores

This topic reads like three simultaneous threads--"that commercial", "the Zombie stuff" and (of course) the decline of TCM.

My message regards Rob Zombie's appearance on TCM. I am of two minds regarding the Zombie fare. On the one hand, I am a fan of horror movies from silents to today. For instance, right now I am awaiting Netflix DVDs of "Matango:Attack Of The Mushroom People" and "Godmonster of Indian Flats". I am looking forward to the movies Mr. Zombie has scheduled, some of which I have never seen and may be pretty good ("Madhouse") and movies I have watched and would like another look-see ("The Conquerer Worm"). I remember many of the scheduled titles as commercial channel broadcasts when I was a youngster. Now, for my "other hand". On the other hand...last week, for a reason that is not relevant to this message, I was browsing a movie database and read some reviews of modern horror that depressed me. Specifically, movies that showcase torture, "inventive killing" and dismemberment of human beings in as realistic a manner as possible. For example, "Audition", "Battle Royale", "Guinea Pig", "Hannibal", etcetera. The member reviews of this fare divide into three groups--this movie will make you throw up (bad), this movie will make you throw up (good) and, "I don't trust reviewers because I saw the movie and it is not nearly as disgusting as they make it out to be..."

Now, my question. Why would anyone want to expose themselves to watching a character (or characters) have extraordinary pain inflicted on them. And please, don't tell me about the artful production values of some of these torture movies. I hate having to judge something I have not experienced, but I have made a line that so called "entertainment" should not cross. Torture movies cross my line. I have been a first responder at two bad auto accidents and I would never consider extreme human pain to be entertainment. Those who do consider torture movies entertainment either 1) have never experienced severe pain/injuries in their lives, or 2) have experienced a person in extreme pain and still watch torture movies. I consider my 2) case to be a symptom of mental illness.

Anyway, I thought I would mention something that disgusts me.

By the way, why was I looking at reviews of movies that disgust me? I don't know...I guess sometimes I fall prey to the, "slow down and take a close look at the head-on collision" curiosity.

Rusty

Message was edited by:

jarhfive

jarhfive wrote -

Now, my question. Why would anyone want to expose themselves to watching [someone] have extraordinary pain inflicted on them."

To get a job at the CIA.

Kyle (disgusted and distressed) In Hollywood

I have reviewed this whole thread, and have come to some conclusions, please bear with me. The first time I saw this promo, I hated it, the 2nd time, I despised it, the 3rd time I saw no reason for it, but after watching it all month, I do find some merit in the matching of images on film with words and music. I would rather see different images and hear different music but you must consider what is being advertised. Let me be clear about the fact I do not like the underground series upcoming, but times, as always, are changing and we older citizens must accept the change, although we may not like it, much as our parents and grandparents and back, back, etc. The one thing we must keep in mind is that by condemning young choices, we condemn young people. It is their right to choose their music and movies.

I regret Chubby Checker inventing the TWIST in my generation - it caused the dissolution of contact dancing, so I blame my peers for that. I also blame my generation for turning to drugs rather than alcohol for a 'feel good' feeling. Many of the things my generation did, led to todays tastes and in between there was another genration partially lost due to a foreign conflict which caused a change and harm impossible to recover from even today.

In conclusioon, although I dislike this promo, I cannot conemn it because I helped cause it. As many of you dissenters are apparently from my generation, you must contemplate my statements here. I do not mean to cause a revolution here, but I have thought about this a lot, and come to these realizations.

Once again, TCM is not making it easily for me, at least, to find the Rob Zombie promo. It's not yet on Raygun and I don't find it via clicking on 'Videos' up there.

Is it me?

dolores

FredCDobbs wrote:

> is more oriented toward mentally disturbed young

> people and drug addicts, in my opinion. I don?t want

> that type people to start showing up here on this

> board.

What exactly is "that type"? It scares me when people are labeled as a "type". I have a feeling that I might be that type because I loved the promo, it's a great song. I also have a tattoo, got it 32 years ago. I also take care of my mother, my sister with Down's Syndrome, took care of my mother-in-law for 8 years until her death 4 years ago. I have 5 children who have never taken drugs, don't smoke and rarely have a drink. We openly discuss movies, music, education, religion, politics and the future. The kids friends think I'm cool.

My husband and I both carefully planned for our future and retired at age 55 and 51 respectively (last year). We own our home, have no bills except our utility bills and we don't pay much for that thanks to solar and wind power. We don't drive that latest SUV because there is no reason we could find to be that pretentious. We donate money and time to various childhood, animal and health charitys. I was a hellraiser when I was a teenager but I turned out pretty damn good really. My father was an MD, so is my brother, who also happens to be gay. Maybe he is a type because he loves TCM also.

I do know someone who fits in with your "type"casting....my other sister. She wouldn't watch TCM if she had to. She has spent most of the last 30 years in prison for drugs. She had every advantage as a child and was the good kid of the family.

Stoneyburke wrote:

> Fred, I admire you and what you have done in your

> life, and have to say I am surprised at this. But of

> course I respect your right to say it.

Same with me, Fred, you have the right to say what you want. I just really hate the notion that TCM is so exclusive that anyone out of the norm is not welcomed to see it.

My 2 cents.