Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
disgusted

TCM commercial

?I am a-political, a-religious and a-corporate America. I am old, I speak my mind and I enjoy being all of the aforementioned.

IF all this makes me 'mentally disturbed', then so be it.?

I didn?t say you were mentally disturbed and I didn?t say that everyone who likes the promo is mentally disturbed. If I saw it on some other channel I might watch it and hum along with the tune, but I probably wouldn?t regularly watch that other channel.

I said that that kind of promo, along with the Rob Zombie promo, shown a lot on TCM, will attract mentally disturbed and drug addicted teens and young people to TCM and to this board, like the kind that hang out on the goth, vampire, and EMO message boards. It?s just like the way all the anime films attracted rude young people like OLDPEOPESUCK to this board earlier this year, and they griped about all of us non-teens who like traditional classic films.

TCM used to produce a lot of traditional type ?Sunny Side of Life? promos. Now they are airing ?freakout EMO? promos.

Why don?t they do some nice promos when they show a Richard Dix series? Or a Warren William series? Or a Ricardo Cortez series? Why do they put those classic films in the 2-6 am time slot, while they put this EMO stuff in the prime time slot?

I like the film ?Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion?, but it?s not a film I would want shown or promoed on TCM. I watched ?Wag The Dog? nearly a dozen times when it was on some other channel, and I thought it was a very funny film, but I don?t think it is appropriate for TCM. If people want to see modern independent and cult films, they can see them on IFC or Sundance or HBO or some other channel. But I don?t think they should be shown on TCM.

I also like Mexican novellas. I see them on Univision. 15% of the US population is Hispanic now. How would you like for TCM to start showing Mexican novellas and airing promos for them, so they can attract this audience? How would you like to see TCM try to attract a large black inner-city teen audience by showing ?Boys in the Hood? type movies? Why not start showing classic rock videos on TCM to attract the youth crowd? How about a prime time series of rap movies? How about a promo and series of Asian marshal arts movies? How about a Jackie Chan series in prime time, wow!

If TCM wants to attract a younger audience, then they should air more promos like the one with the two young film students talking about classic films, the one with the girl talking about ?To Kill a Mockingbird?. They could attract millions of young viewers by airing promos of responsible, educated, intelligent young film students. Even many high schools today have film and video departments. Teens and college age people love classic films, just like I did when I was a teen and college age, and TCM is mostly ignoring them in their promos.

Message was edited by:

FredCDobbs

> TCM used to produce a lot of traditional type ?Sunny

> Side of Life? promos. Now they are airing ?freakout

> EMO? promos.

Ok first PR, then EMO. What in the world is EMO? You folks spout off initials like everyone automatically knows what they mean.

I'll be darned. From Wikipedia:

Emo is a subgenre of hardcore punk music. Since its inception, emo has come to describe several independent variations, linked loosely but with common ancestry. As such, use of the term has been the subject of much debate.

I thought Emo was that loathesome comedian/mime/singer, whatever he was. Who the heck was that then??

> I'll be darned. From Wikipedia:

>

> Emo is a subgenre of hardcore punk music. Since

> its inception, emo has come to describe several

> independent variations, linked loosely but with

> common ancestry. As such, use of the term has been

> the subject of much debate.

>

> I thought Emo was that loathesome

> comedian/mime/singer, whatever he was. Who the heck

> was that then??

Thanks, no wonder I didn't know what it was.

Are you thinking of Brian Emo?

Poor Bradtexasranger: You must feel like you're in the middle of a whirlpool of alphabet soup. I'm glad you asked though, because I had no idea what EMO meant, or who Brian Emo is. I had to ask someone what LOL and IMO meant, and still not absolutely sure about LOL, Lots of Luck, or Lots of Love? or something entirely different?

heidigunn, LOL = Laugh Out Loud*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_slang

No, it's not Brian Emo...ugh, I can just see the little guy in my head, I think he's a favorite of kids, like that other creature Pee Wee Herman.

Ick to both of them.

dolores

*if something is really funny - ROTFLMAOHUAL (I kid you not) = Rolling On The Floor Laughing My **** Off Hocking Up A Lung

Stoney,

Perhaps you are thinking of Emo Phillips? He was in UHF and Journey to the Center of the Earth in the late 1980s.

EMO is short for emotive...I just looked it up. I understand it is music (and attached culture) similar to the circa 1950's beatniks. Emotive culture is similar to beatnik culture, but without the bongo drums (for the beat), finger snapping (for the clapping) and benzedrine (hard to get a prescription). How do I know about beatniks? I researched before I requested TCM to broadcast "The Subterraneans" (1960)...requested many, many times.

By the way, what is "PR"?

Rusty

I think it's Project Runway. There's a couple of fans of the show here.

I think LJ is Live Journal which is a blogging community.

jarhfive, I want to see "The Subterraneans" too! Oddly enough, if you look on it's IMDB forum, apparently it's being shown on other TCM networks. There are posts dated from April and May of this year, where the posters are saying, "I just saw this on TCM." I even checked my old Now Playing guides because I thought I missed it. From what I read, it has a great, great jazz soundtrack and MGM owns it, so TCM, by default has it in their library.

Also, if anyone is still confused on the definition of "emo", go check out the entries on Urban Dictionary. They're pretty much spot on.

Cool! How nice to see pics of one of our own. Your grandmother seems a pistol, you go girl! And Happy Birthday.

So a live journal is like a blog?

Thanks for sharing, JonParker.

dolores

> Cool! How nice to see pics of one of our own. Your

> grandmother seems a pistol, you go girl! And Happy

> Birthday.

She is indeed, not to mention that I don't think she looks anywhere near 90.

>

> So a live journal is like a blog?

Yeah. It differs from a traditional blog in that it allows easy linking of friends. Their posts appear onn one page so you can keep up with all posts made to their LJs. Most of the people on my friends list are my real life friends.

JonParker,

Your "warmth and authenticity" quote made me laugh. I can't count the number of times I've read, or heard, similar ideas. Well...I can count the number of times, but it would take me all day. Hmmm...I wonder if 100 dollar per foot rf signal cable is available?

By the way, like the picture. You don't have to answer this, but where in Oklahoma? I reside northeast corner of Oklahoma. I thought my time in Oklahoma would be temporary. I thought that 12 years ago.

Rusty

Message was edited by:

jarhfive

I loved that quote.

I lived in OKC for quite a while, then moved to Ravia (as I mentioned in the Dale Robertson thread).

My dad is from NE OK. His prize possession is his Hooker 25 year reunion baseball cap.

Who wrote the song and what is the songs name that is in the commercial with the girl in the mini skirt? It has been killing me and I love that song.

Thanks

Just in perusing these threads, I have a comment. I agree that TCM shouldn't be "exclusive", but I really think they have lost contact with their original theme. I watch TCM for classic movies, not 1960s Sonny & Cher movies, MTV-type music, or anime, etc. I really think they are sacrificing the quality of the movies they show by trying to cater to everyone. Let's face it, my cable provider has at least 4 MTV-type stations, 8 children's stations, innumerable stations that cater to sports fans and these stations broadcast 24/7. There really is no need to cater to these groups, because they have more than enough air time right now. I cannot bear commercial TV, so where does that leave me? I was thrilled to find TCM a few years ago, as it had everything I was looking for - classic movies and no commercials. In the last year or so, I have been watching TCM less and less - sometimes because they take up a whole night with "themes" of something I am not interested in. The movies I would like to see most are on in the middle of the night, when I'm sleeping or during the day, when I'm working (even though I work at home, I can't watch TV for those eight hours and work at my job). To boot, I am a home dialysis patient and I am chained to a machine for 9 hours at night, so TV is really a godsend to me. As a result, I bought a DVD player, and now I am finding that some of the movies I want to purchase are unavailable. Sorry, call me an old goat (I'm 57), but I miss the days when everything was quieter and more serene. I really don't belong in the 21st century, I guess. I miss the "fake" niceties of the 50s and the family feeling that used to be. Just call me "Frustrated"~!

It's funny to read some of the reactions to this song because just today I came to this site for the first time in weeks solely so I could find out who does the music for this commercial. Love it! Went and downloaded the mp3 and then ordered the album (Absolution) it is on. Figured I'd find a thread about this track.

For what it's worth, this is my inaugural post. I'm a long time TCM junkie, with an ear for alt-rock. Didn't plan on joining but got involved in the message board and then learned I had to join to get access to a control panel so I could read the posts in chronological order. That reverse order default was driving me crazy. Interesting board, not surprisingly. Lots of lookin' around to do.