Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
disgusted

TCM commercial

Turner Classic Movies, IMO, is an oasis in the wasteland that television has become today. It's my escape, my tranquilizer, my link to a time in life when respect and love for one's fellow man meant something. I'm happy and grateful for it.

Beautifully put. Thank you for a thoughtful post.

> What, no schedule from 1998, Professor?

>

> You're slipping, Mr. Coffee. Your dogma isn't what it

> once was.

That doesn't even make sense. Why can't you respond to what he said? Could it be because you know he has a point and you hate to hear conflicting opinions? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

"There is another new TCM commercial on, which is cute, attractive, and puts the point across much more succintly. The one where all the stars names are listed one by one, as credits at the end of a movie, and it says something about giving credit where credit is due. That commercial is colorful, light, and thoroughly enjoyable. I found myself looking for certain names. THIS is TCM, why do we have to see the DARK side of life? We have enough in our daily trials and tribulations. Give me quick glimpses of Doris and Rock laughing, Kate and Spence horseback riding, Gene splashing in the rain, Cary dodging a crop duster, or Fred dancing with a coat rack or shoes!!!!"

I found this on page 23 of this thread, and now that I think about it, I realize this particular promo was only shown once!!! I didn't even see it a second time to find if it had music or any other background to go with it. These two commercials or, promos, came out at the same time, so why has one gotten so much airing and the other none? Why would a nice, amusing, generally appealing promo indicating the TV station be held back, when its counterpart, supposedly a promo for certain flms to be shown in September, is still being run in October?

Just curious, that's all folks.

Totally off subject (since I've said what I've had to say in this thread), but your username makes me think you're a long lost Marx Brother: Rufus T. Firefly, Otis B. Driftwood, Hugo Z. Hackenbush and now introducing, Mr. Victor E. Coffee!

That is all.

Did anybody else see the promo described in the second post after this one? I saw it on a weekday around 11:00 a.m.

Anybody?

Did anybody else see the promo described in the second post after this one? I saw it on a weekday around 11:00 a.m.

I might have, but I may be thinking of the wrong one.

Did the stars' names scroll up the screen, while the words of certain names did things identified with the star in question? (i.e., Hitchcock's name was carried off by birds, Clark Gable's name wrapped itself in a passionate embrace with Vivian Leigh's name, etc.)

If so, that's the one I've seen.

Yes, that's the one. When did you see it? I've been waiting for it but as stated, I only saw it that one time.

I've just run across it on occasion over the last few months. I think it's probably been around for quite some time.

It is a clever and amusing spot. A few people might find what they did with James Dean's name to be in questionable taste, though.

Sorry!!!!!!!!! I hate to bring this thread up again, but I had to mention this: If any of you wonder where TCM got the guys who make the 'hated/loved commercial for September, just watch HBO sometime. Lately because of the evening schedule, I've been looking elsewhere for uninterrupted movies, and unfortunately, only the paid for cable stations have them on my dish network. Anyway. HBO has a commercial that is almost a duplicate of the tattooed lady, only its a different person, less outrageous, but almost identical in format. And of course the movies are different, but its the same fast clips, the telescope thing, etc. For a second I thought I was seeing a new October TCM commercial. Even the 'music' was similar, a little more heavy rock though. "Come into my web, said the spider to the fly!"

It isnt the first time HBO has ripped off TCM. Ads copy each other all the time. But I haven't seen it either...

Regarding the animated names commercial - yes, I've seen it. I thought it was very clever and had a bit of a Monty Python quality to it. Very cheerful. I know I've seen it more than once - I may have it taped between some movies but who knows which ones.

> Bobbert, listen to Things Have Changed

> by Dylan if you doubt his genius. Walk a mile in his

> drugged moccasins before you judge.

>

> As to Forever Young, wasn't it Rod Stewart who had

> the definitive cover on that song?

>

> dolores

Dolores,

Different song...

MD

Regarding the poll, I do like the clip. The music clearly inspires...based on this threads length and passion if nothing else.

Perhaps this Janus fest is being released for the Halloween season.

One quick question. In the spot for Star of the Month, there is music featuring a trumpet and drums that leads into whoever is featured that particular month. Does anyone know if that musical excerpt is from an actual song or otherwise?

Cheers!