Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
disgusted

TCM commercial

>

> Thanks, I hadn't heard of The Barbarian before

> and have added it my DVD list.

I don't think "The Barbarian" is out on dvd yet. Only on TCM. Thank God for TCM.

//I am curious. How many tattooed ladies do you guys see in the cities where you live?//

Tatoos abound amongst the populace of the area in which I reside - the Pacific Northwest, and a county that was once rural but has become urban and is increasingly becoming more so. Mostly, what I see of them are young adults sporting them: gals with them on an ankle or a shoulder, and younger blokes with them on arms.

For me (due to the sensibilities I was imprinted with), my first reaction is that tatooing is sort of filthy and low (as Professor Higgins might say though not 'deliciously' so) and utterly non-conducive to eroticism and detracting from sex appeal, yet I realise that my initial reaction is strictly subjective and stems from the prejudices I was taught.

Still though, on the reality of subjecting one's self to multiple puncturing's so to have ink injected into one's flesh to advertise something . . . well, I can't help but consider it yet another manifestation of humans' apparent unceasing persistency to do things vain and without any real purpose.

I feel similarly about piercing.

It all seems like self-mutilation to me, and rather dense therefore.

But again, that's just my subjective opinion, and I must realise that and not ultimately allow judgementalism to prevail over my tolerance of others' sensibilities.

//Just lively debate!//

Bb - incidentally, just have to thank you, for the points you've argued in your posts in this thread are postively brilliant. Spot on and eloquent.

I still haven't seen the promo in its entireity, dammit.

Have seen the ShortsCircuit promo which was, as usual, very excellently done.

I can't wait to see the September2006 ThisMonth promo in its entireity, so I can study it and diciphre what's afoot with the spyglass symbolism and the 'storyline' of the filler between the clips.

I did find however (in my limited initial glimpsing of it), that there's too much attention to the filler this go around, and I prefer when the model(s) are not so discernible, when a model is seen more vaguely: seen in fleeting parts, in silhouette, et cetera as in the last Goldfrapp-soundtracked one.

And, initially, I didn't find the song chosen this go around to be as good as the tracks used, previously, of the bands Cake and Goldfrapp.

Anyway, again, am looking forward for an opportunity for closer scrutiny.

Yet even at a could've-been-better rating, these added promo's and original productions aired in between programming are just so original, delightful, entertaining and reverential of cinema - I can't get enough of them; I want more more more and more.

As for the notion of some perceived prurience in the promo by a vocal minority - I'm thankful that TCM doesn't recognise or enable such provincial censure.

Thanks for the link, bbunny! I just watched the promo. I liked it. I love the way TCM uses modern music for their promos--it reminds me that art is timeless. This is my take on the woman with the spyglass--she is a voyeur peeking into the lives of the people in the clips---in a way, that is what we are all doing when we watch a film--getting a glimpse into another's life. Not very well expressed, but I'm sure that others will debate this and maybe put it more eloquently than I can. BTW, the tattoos don't bother me. It seems like part of her costume.

Sandy K

I think they like to shake things up with their promos,

it keeps them from getting bored.

The product seems to remain fairly consistent.

Thank you, Mr. 1940 for the link to your YouTube of the TCM promotional. I hadn't seen it yet, and I think it's striking and beautiful. I wonder what the image of the young girl and the birds is from... perhaps one of the shorts. Cocteau's surreal scenes fit in nicely. September looks great in that montage. [What a dream job it would be to concoct those!]

You can also see this promo by clicking on "Videos" above, and looking for the September promo there as one of the current Top 5 Movie Clips.

I did so this morning to see what all the hullabaloo is about and, apart from thinking that the promo itself is a bit too long, I don't find it particularly offensive. I think it would take repeated viewings to take note of all of the imagery contained therein but I think that is to the credit of the creators - if it's a promo for the whole month, one would want to find different things in it as one sees it more often.

The song is not as memorable as ones TCM has used in past promotional adverts [in my opinion] but there is enough food for thought in the pictures to keep me engaged.

Message was edited by:

wordmaster

Glad to know this is already up for discussion...I was so ticked off by this promo on TCM this morning I made a note to email my complaint.

I certainly didn't like the modern theme of the promo, the tatoos or the voyeurism but what I REALLY HATED was the music. I watch Turner Classic Movies for a reason....I like the good ole days. I like the music and the movies and the decency of that era. If I want modern rock music and modern themes, I will watch another channel - Lord knows there are plenty of options out there.

Please keep TCM true to its genre. There aren't many great classic channels to choose from.

I have to agree with Ham 36, especially on the music, I only thank God the sound is subdued, that guy screeching, with the drums booming at full volume would drive me screaming from my home. Also his statement of "the decency of that era" is also on touch. We have plenty of options for heavy metal, or rock however you refer to it, certainly not music. I heard plenty when my kids were teens, and although I hated it, it WAS their music, just like Elvis was in my day, and my parents objected, so I remembered that when my kids got into their 'noise' as I called it. However, I could always close the door, but when it invades TCM, I don't want to change channels, or does TCM WANT me to?

There is another new TCM commercial on which is cute, attractive, and puts the point across much more succintly. The one where all the stars names are listed one by one, and it says something about giving credit where credit is due. That commercial is colorful, light, and thoroughly enjoyable. I found myself looking for certain names. THIS is TCM, why do we have to see the DARK side of life? We have enough in our daily trials and tribulations. Give me quick glimpses of Doris and Rock laughing, Kate and Spence horseback riding, Gene splashing in the rain, Cary dodging a crop duster, or Fred dancing with a coat rack or shoes!!!!

Anne

I agree with you as well ham36. I see this is the second (?) commercial TCM has come up with like this. What does a butt ugly tattooed woman have to do with the classic movies from the golden era? If they think they are getting a bunch of younger folks to watch TCM just because of this type of commercial they are all wrong. They may sit and watch it, but as soon as a classic movie starts they will change the channel anyways.

Wow, color me inconsistent but as a standalone music video, I loved it. That must have taken a lot of work to produce.

Thanks for the pointer to Videos, wordmaster, since I tape and don't watch TCM.

I like Nip/Tuck's(and Verizon's) I'm in love with a strict machine, so my view may be a little skewed on today's music, but I liked the pace and beat and images. I'm not sure I'd like to see it played over and over on TCM, as it doesn't fit the image I used to have of TCM, but it probably fits right into the current Cher and Anime TCM, no?

Overall, and again all by its lonesome, I'd have to rate it cool. Is it downloadable (is that a word?)?

dolores

Just for the record - HAM36 is a female....I am in my 30's. My brother is in his 20's - we have both been avid TCM fans for years. There is a younger generation out there that loves the classic era. Everything these days is "conforming" and frankly - all starting to look and sound the same. PLEASE let's keep the "CLASSIC" in Turner Classic Movies.

i don't see what's so controversial. its mostly just faux artsy shots of a model posing with a telescope and grinding coffee (why?), interspersed with a bunch of great movie clips, that is all set to a song currently popular with 16-year-olds. my biggest problem with it is that the old movie clips are a lot more cool than the everything else in the promo. if they just showed a montage of movie clips and left out all the mtv cheesiness it would've been so much better.

TCM is just trying to be all things to all people right now. Lest I go off on my Prophet Of Doom tangent, I'll just watch bemusedly as they slide down that slippery slope towards commercials.

Fortunately, they still show gems along the way. There must still be some calmer heads in TCM corporate, alongside the new suits who thought that video was an accurate portrayal of the TCM we all love.

dolores

Agreed....some marketing person is worried that all TCM viewers are of the elder generation and that as they die off (forgive me) that their viewership will suffer...so they are trying to appeal to a younger audience.

The YOUNGER AUDIENCE says STAY PUT!!! We don't need modern / hip stuff on the classic channel. An earlier writer here said that the youngsters that they are atttempting to attract will only flip the channel as soon as the "hip" promo goess off the air and the classic movie begins.

Leave well enough alone - we love all things classic!

Saw it for the first time on Sunday. I thought it was great. I don't think I've seen one of these promo spots I haven't liked.

The tattoo? Who cares.

The music and images worked perfectly together. The editing on the piece is fantastic.

Great job to whoever put it together.

Fear reigneth.

Fear that TCM will drop the 't' for an 'a' and switch around the 'c' and the 'm.' Fear that TCM will hail Steven Seagal as Star of the Month. Fear that it will start selling Flowbees. Fear that Robert Osborne will be ritually sacrificed on an altar made in China and bought at Wal-Mart.

But TCM knows better.

They saw another network pursue its pot 'o' gold to the end of the rainbow (media), and only found "TV for Stupid People." TCM isn't likely to follow AMC's path. That would be like the Dead End Kids jettisoning Cagney's example and start mugging old ladies after the end of "Angels With Dirty Faces."

TCM isn't doing that. To all you prognosticators of gloom, despair, agony, and deep, dark depression, I ask this: where has TCM's programming experienced radical, sustainable, and consistent change?

It hasn't.

They are still showing Stewart Granger, James Stewart, John Wayne, John Payne and both Hepburns. They still get carried away with Cary Grant, while granting us full days of Elizabeth Taylor. Robert Taylor bobs along with Bobs Mitchum, Young, De Niro, Florey, Leonard, Montgomery, Walker and Osborne. TCM doesn't just dick around with Richard Burton, Richard Dix, Richard Boleslawski and Richard Conte--they show their bad movies too. Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy belt each other in song; Gene Kelly dances while Jean Hagen screeches. Debbie Reynolds is unsinkable while Spencer Tracy courageously goes down with the boat, everytime. Alfred Hitchcock butters his MacGuffin, while Ernst Lubitsch sprinkles his touch. Charlie Chaplin amuses, Harold Lloyd rides amusements, and Buster Keaton stands secretly amused as the genius of the bunch. John Ford poeticizes, Orson Welles struggles, Mary Pickford pioneers, and Myrna Loy and Eddie G. Robinson have a good laugh that they was never even nominated.

Meanwhile....Billy Wilder cracks up.

Billy lets loose a sardonic laugh at the notion that the movies he made are now considered to be a part of "the good ole days," the days that are mistaken for always being safe, chaste, and wholesome. Nope, Billy would argue that movies made during the classic Hollywood era were drenched, or were at least thoroughly dampened, by the raw sexuality that often took place outside the boundaries of marriage (Walter Neff and Phyllis Dietrichson bumped off her husband in Double Indemnity so they could do earn some cash. Apparently, the sex wasn't enough--was that wholesome?). Then there was the pervasive violence that could explode on the street corner (Eddie G., Jimmy C., Bogie, and Mr. Raft with the spats seemed to be riddled with an awful lot of bullet holes during an era that was good, clean fun for the kiddies).

These movies were often dangerous, unfit for those who suffered from the incurable maladay known as the Common Moral Code. Even the religious epics were unsettling. Maria Falconetti isn't getting a manicure in "The Passion of Joan of Arc," and Anne Baxter isn't in love with Chuck Heston because of his miraclous staff in "The Ten Commandments." And speaking of Chuck, there's a lot of blood mixing in with the sawdust of the chariot race. And the slave ship sequence...kind of grisly, don't you think?

Violence is dramatic. Sex sells. It always has. Ask Bill Shakespeare or Chaucer.

Folks, TCM is too much in love with these movies to wrap them in cobwebbed wistfulness of the good ole' days. That's what photo albums are for. You watch these movies again, and again, and again because they mean something, because they are powerful stories, brilliantly told, as only cinema can. And they can and will speak again and again to more people. Yes, even to that 'younger generation' that many of you seem to be so desperately and inexplicably afraid of. Why fear them? You should embrace them and try your best to introduce to them in the best way you know how The Incredible Shrinking Man, The Hustler, The Music Box, An American in Paris, Sullivan's Travels, The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, La Strada, The Producers, The Pawnbroker, Arsenic and Old Lace, Ossessione, Seven Years Bad Luck, The Barbarian, Grand Illusion, The Rules of the Game, and The Red Shoes. And that's just a sampling of half of TCM's primetime schedule for the month.

These are not just gems to be cherished in a jewelry box, safely ensconsed within the four walls of your own memories. You say "the younger audience stays put." When that happens, when the younger audience is shut out, that is when the apocalyptic naysayer, that bogeyman of bad news, that pesky personage of pessimism, The Prophet of Doom, will finally have a point. The classics will then die.

They must, must, must be shown to that younger audience. And if TCM uses that fancy-shmancy 'video music' editing to do it, then by all means do it! That dreaded, modern video might suggest that these old movies hold something RELEVANT for the younger viewer. Someone argued that once the 'hip' promo is over, then that young whipper-snapper will simply turn the channel. Maybe. But do any of you have at least a personal or even slightly amusing anecdote that would prove this? Have you ever invited a kid, a teenager, a young adult, an MTV-junkie, or even Lydia the Tattooed Lady to watch the best classic movie you can think of, after presenting them with the reason they should do so?

You know, like "Hey Nick Know-Nothing, I know you're just a kid and all with a head full of mud and Muse, but I think you'd like this movie 'Yojimbo' because it has this guy who is AMAZING with a samurai sword and a smirk...No, not Bruce Willis...This guy Toshiro Mifune is the person Bruce Willis is only *trying* to be. Mifune and his director Akira Kurosawa practically invented the type of action movie you like to watch today. You should check it out. In fact, watch this advertisement that features this movie and alot of other cool images that might capture your interest. I think the ad has some music you and your friends listen to on that popular website. What do you call it? Myatticspace? I don't remember the name of the song. It made my ears hemmorage."

That's a sarcastic dramatisation. (Or is it?)

I have had the opportunity to introduce classic movies to many younger viewers. My 8-year-old gets the chance all the time. My nephew squeeled with delight at "Safety Last" and shrieked at "The Thing from Another World." I showed a group of teenagers "The General," and many teenage peers the pleasures of "North by Northwest." Some of them dug it. Some of them didn't. But a seed was planted.

A SEED.

And that's what these promos are doing people! For crying out loud, they are simply planting the idea that the movies grandma and grandpa are always watching *might actually be cool* to see and relevant to who, what, when, where and why they are! That's it! That's what TCM is doing with these 'disturbing' 'conforming' 'ugly' 'modern' 'hip' and (lest we forget) 'disgusting' promos!

But fear reigneth. And that's too bad, because fear always seems to talk loudest once the movie starts. So please pipe down, keep your shortsighted sobbing to yourself--you're ruining the Epstein Brothers' dialogue.

And to you TCM, Godspeed. Keep the faith.

You have much work ahead of you:

You've got an OLDER AUDIENCE to save.

I still love this spot. I see everybody commenting on the tatoos but not on what the spot is about. Its easy to sluff off the eye candy for youth marketing, but are the "this month" spots ever just eye candy? I like that it can be watched many times over. I think the spot is about what the girl is looking at, and we are looking at her...

Fear reigneth.

Fear that TCM will drop the 't' for an 'a' and switch around the 'c' and the 'm.' Fear that TCM will hail Steven Seagal as Star of the Month. Fear that it will start selling Flowbees. Fear that Robert Osborne will be ritually sacrificed on an altar made in China and bought at Wal-Mart.

But TCM knows better.>>

Bbunny,

Thank you a thousand times over for capturing in words what so many of us have for way too many months been trying to say but with far less eloquence.

I thank you, my father thanks you, my sister thanks you.... oops sorry, I was channeling Jimmy C there for a moment.

Just to update you on the encroachment of mediocrity in Canadian television, one of our cable providers decided to take a chance and took off The Golf Channel at the beginning of September [and moved it over to our digital cable service].

My father and I, among others, are much displeased with this development - to get to the point, The Golf Channel has now been replaced by..................

you guessed it!

AMC

I haven't checked to see if the new website is up and running [amc-tv.net] but I fear the worst. We also recently lost CNBC and gained - that perhaps is very far from the right word - another monument of mediocrity called "Encore Avenue" [some offshoot of Movie Central or The Movie Channel - whatever its origins, it's far from worthwhile...].

Something tells me it might be cheaper for cable companies to show channels like "amc" and "Encore Avenue" so that may be why the landscape is changing here. I also believe that this movement of channels onto digital cable is a marketing ploy to get subscribers to purchase "bundles" of services. For example, if I want The Golf Channel that desperately, our cable company is hoping that I will be pleased to purchase a shiny new digital cable box and "why don't I save a few dollars and just bundle it in with digital phone service...and for a few dollars more, add some high-speed internet". The old "one-stop shopping" gambit...

From the little I have seen of this "amc", TCM has a long way to go to be as bad as this "little channel that can't".

Until I see incontrovertable evidence that our TCM has breathed its last, I will keep applauding TCM for making bold statements that do not please everyone, rather than support a channel that is a waste of space.

Message was edited by:

wordmaster