Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
disgusted

TCM commercial

Thanks, trevor. I was wondering if I can download it to my computer. I imagine not.

All and sundry can say all and sundry about how TCM is still wonderful and magnificent and beautiful and pretty.

But it ain't. It's not what it once was. Period. Minute for minute, tone for tone, movie for movie, it's not. 3456 movies minus 256 movies notwithstanding, it's not.

Good. So it will take longer before it is AMC, I'm glad for that. I still have a few movies to tape.

But it's not what it once was in 2002. I'm glad I taped what I taped from then, and I don't care what it becomes, God speed to greed. However, no amount of fan pressure (as witnessed from AMC) can stand in the way of the money train.

dolores

"And speaking of Chuck, there's a lot of blood mixing in with the sawdust of the chariot race."

That should be "...with the sawdust of the chariot race in Ben-Hur."

"But fear reigneth. And that's too bad, because fear always seems to talk loudest once the movie starts. So please pipe down, keep your shortsighted sobbing to yourself--you're ruining the Epstein Brothers' dialogue"

Excuse me?? Who do you think you are?? This is a FORUM and we are here to voice our opinions and I will not stop doing that thank you. You can love TCM for your reasons and I can love it for mine, and I can also hate it, which I do at times.

I like the public forums where everyone can express their ideas - we don't all have to be on the same page. Unfortunately some people search for significance on these message boards (hence they grandstand and foam at the mouth paragraph after paragraph after paragraph) attempting to squelch all other opinion and be the "bigger man".

But enough of that....Have a good day everyone....glad to know that TCM appeals to a variety of people with a variety of views (but at the core) appreciate the genre of classic movies.

Bbunny1940:

I did a longer post but it didn't go through, so I'll condense it using your examples.

Your Billy Wilder quote about adultery - Hell, that's been going on since Adam & Eve, movies didn't teach that!

Violence dramatic - Give me the violence of the original 'Time Macnine' to the remake.

Sex Sells - Give me the Love scenes between Garfield and Turner over the sex/love scenes between Nicholson and Lange in 'Postman always Rings Twice'.

Smart mouth Bart Simpson evolved into South Park and Beavis & Butthead. It only takes a drop that eventually turns into an ocean. That's how things get accepted in time.

The good ole days were good... I'm a child of the 50's and early 60's, and it was a different world. My kids and I could munch on our Halloween candy on the way home, we didn't have to X-ray it first. My kids dressed like 6 and 7 when they were, not like 14 and 16 as today.

I'm with Stoneyburke, I'll sit back and tape while we wait for the slow, dribbling, change from Classical, beautiful movies to your Stephen Seagal.

Anne

> Smart mouth Bart Simpson evolved into South Park and

> Beavis & Butthead. It only takes a drop that

> eventually turns into an ocean. That's how things

> get accepted in time.

Yeah, and the smart-mouthed writers of The Simpsons were all influenced by Chuck Jones, Tex Avery, and others who created Bugs Bunny. They were, in turn, influenced by Groucho Marx, who was influenced by W.C. Fields and other vaudevillians.

So, Groucho was the drop that turned into the ocean.

Are we to drop the Marx Bros. from our viewing list now?

I'm not saying you should watch Simpsons or South Park. That's up to your tastes. But what I am saying is that the movies you cited as okay for all audiences were made relative to their era's specific mores and tastes. And during the good ole days, the Marx Bros, for example, were subversive and not intended for children.

The Marx Bros can be a hit with younger audiences. But if you present them as icons of the good ole' days, newer viewers--those that will champion the Marxist Theory decades from now--will reject them as outdated and kind of silly.

And some day, The Simpsons will be seen as part of the good ole' days.

> I'm with Stoneyburke, I'll sit back and tape while we

> wait for the slow, dribbling, change from Classical,

> beautiful movies to your Stephen Seagal.

Anne, that is not what I said. He isn't my Steven Seagal. I was using that as a worst-case scenario.

> Excuse me?? Who do you think you are?? This

> is a FORUM and we are here to voice our opinions and

> I will not stop doing that thank you.

A feeble attempt at humor. Please excuse me.

Sheesh.

Bbunnny1940, as I've noted, those with feet firmly entrenched in 1935 will argue with those happily ensconced in 1980 and never the twain shall meet.

Nor should it. My parents were aghast at my Beatle lurve (then again, I chose Paul over John in the beginning, what WAS I thinking?) and I hate, despise rap. And so it goes.

So I can understand both sides of the argument, since I have one foot planted in each century, well almost. I am a child of the 1950s and 1960s and have a list of dislikes about the current media as long as your arm.

However, I am open to most new things. This video suprised me. However, as I've noted, it does NOT BELONG on TCM, a point which the 1980s crowd will debate. They too won't mind commercials when they finally come to TCM, either.

The old **** here will mind commercials and will turn away, as we have done to AMC.

If viewers 'reject' the Marx Brothers based on what is written about them or how they are presented, then those who are rejecting them don't have the brains God gave a gnat. Accepting new things is all about having an open mind. You are castigating the old people here for doing just what you are saying the 'younger audiences' would do, or don't you see the irony?

The Simpsons are already the good old days, or haven't you seen Anime?

Since Anne was talking to someone else, I'm not sure anymore who is someone's Segal, a hack if ever there was one, so what is that all about??

This is going to sound ludicrous to say the least but here goes: Bugs Bunny was an ADULT talking to other ADULT animals (I said it would sound funny), but that is the fact, if children saw it they knew what was happening. Just because Bugs wise cracked didn't mean I could. Bart Simpson smart mouths to HIS PARENTS, that's the difference.

If a small child is watching T.V. and the parents aren't around, if the child channel surfs and sees South Park, et al. they see a CARTOON and start to watch, and you have got to know the material is NOT for children. This happened to me, and I immediately changed back to Disney and told her if she wanted the channel changed, to CALL ME.

Unfortunately, many parents do not do this, I don't care if my grandkids get mad at me, I will defend to the death my right to try to protect them from the crap that is offered on T.V. nowadays. AT least when they are at my house, and when I hear "Mommy lets us", my reply is Not at my house.

Anne

stoneyburke:

I agree with most of what you said, I was wrong about the Seagal part, I apolgize for that, I misread it. However, I do try to be open-minded about things, but my beliefs and feelings go 'way back to my early teens. I rejected those foreign Beatles and stuck to Elvis, Frankie, and Fabian, (Americans, all), I said let the English have their cake, I'll take hot dogs. Also, while my friends were getting high on maryjane, I left the party. My first taste of it was on my 50th birthday as a joke from the guy I was dating at the time. All it did was make me nauseous and sleepy.

I don't resent the spankings, or whack in the head when I got smart **** or did something wrong. Those things turned me into a thinking, reasonable, and caring person. Fortunately when these 20 year olds are in their 50's/60's, they will agree with us, but we won't be around to see it. Read my last post to see how I tried to explain my remarks, I hope they did the trick.

Anne

mrsl, IF you are not easily offended, on the topic of 'Mommy Lets Us', take a look at the French advert for Hansaplast Condoms (as I said, open mind required), I think you will find it hilarious:

http://veryfunnyads.com/

Sound may be very loud on opening the site.

dolores

P.S. Good for you in setting limits, so few parents do so today.

mrsl, you are quite correct. Posts are getting out of whack here lately, for sure, so I'm not sure if I misunderstood you or someone else.

No doubt, parents are no longer setting limits on their kids, they want to be their kids's FRIENDS. Why? Because THEY are refusing to grow up.

I am convinced that the post War generation THOUGHT they were doing well by us, but they created a spoiled...yes, even we were spoiled...generation that, for the most part, created a monster generation of self indulgent, spoiled brats who are in turn raising a 'time out sweetie' crop of even more horrific babies.

There are the exceptions, grandparents and parents who have 20 year old kids with manners, but they are the exception as far as I can see, judging by the rudeness in supermarkets and restaurants and stores and on the highways.

But let's face it, the 1940s are dead, and heaven help us all in the next 30 years.

Fortunately, someone will be putting a pillow over my face in the nursing home, since I imagine I will be ranting and raving there just as much (if not more) as I am now. :)

dolores

Given the underlying theme that seems to creep up in many of these discussions, I have to ask this question, relating to a documentary I read about somewhere. In November, TCM is 're-premiering' Peter Bogdanovich's 1971 documentary "Directed by John Ford." The original doc included outstanding interviews with Ford, Duke Wayne, James Stewart, and Henry Fonda. Bogdanovich has revisted the documentary with remastered prints of clips, PLUS, he has expanded the doc to include new interviews with minor directors like Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorsese, Clint Eastwood and others--all filmmakers who made their marks after the good ole' days.

My question: will you watch it? It does, afterall, contain filmmakers from today that are unquestionably the greatest influences on current American cinema, the same cinema that kids of the 80s and 90s grew up on. To put it another way, will these filmmakers have anything useful, insightful or germane to say about John Ford? If so, why will you accept their insights as valid, even though they are so entrenched in 'modern' filmmaking?

I just saw the new spot for "This Month September". Wow, Victoria Secret meets Sergei Eisenstein. I love it. I've never seen so much whining about such a cool add.

And the chick is hot- whats the problem? Art and sex have gone together for years. Oh reminder, Eisenstein films delt with, war, adultery, sex and good editing. I don't think TCM invented any of them...But they are keeping up the concepts that have always been about a good story.

Whats the problem again? Tatoos??? They're everywhere, times have changed. deal with it. Your old movies are still on. And when did TCM become the babysitter for America? Movies, since TCM has started, have run unedited. I don't think the station has ever been a place to prop up your young child and tune out. TCM isn't the Disney channel.

Oh and your Elvis comment regarding the Beatles, I'm not sure where to begin. Elvis was the fall of western civilization to your parents, and you didn't like the Beatles cause they were... british??? Have your views changed? Sorry to tell you but modern times are the best ever. More freedom in America, less racism, and a wonderful vacuous bubble were can freely whine about too much sex in an ad,

while wars continue, empires collapse, and countries decay under totalitarium regimes. Isn't it nice to look through the telescope?

TBrickle:

Regarding the TCM commercial, the theme of this thread:

I'm glad you think the 'chick is hot', I'm sure 'the lovely young lady' appreciates your admiration. I'm sorry but who is Sergei Eigenstein?

I left the child watching PBS and forgot they changed to different programming after 4:30 while I was making dinner, thats when I looked in on her.

The Beatles came around about the time of Vietnam, I disliked all things foreign at that time, in 1960 one of my first boyfriends was killed there, sorry if that soured me on un-american things. My views HAVE changed on some of Lennons lyrics, Imagine is truly beautiful and engrossing.

Bunny1940:

i have been a fan of Rowdy Yates since his early days on Maverick, and all through his movie career. I've watched Spielberg since 'Continental Divide' before 'E.T'. He is the BEST director/Producer ever in my estimation. Scorsese goes a little over the top sometimes, but his movies are always top notch.

Obviously neither of you read all of my posts, or you would have realized I was talking about CHILDREN, little children whose parents don't give the time and energy that should be given. They're too busy working to make sure the kids have the latest in computers, iPODS, and anything else money can buy. Don't attempt to tell me I'm wrong, I see it on a daily basis. I was NOT talking about 16 and over, they've already been formed.

Anne

Bbunny1940 - I won't be watching it. I don't watch TCM for talk shows.

TBickle - some of us just don't think the commercial fits the programming for TCM. It is just another attempt to appeal to a "different" audience. And no, it is not the tattoos that make it inappropriate. The commercials they run with clips from the old movies without flashing weird things in between are far superior, and reflect the programming just fine.

Bbunny,

I'll be watching Bogdanovich's reworking of "Directed by John Ford". In fact I am looking forward to it. John Ford influenced a number of today's working craftsmen and women. Film is a wonderful medium that speaks to people in so many different ways.

And it is worth it to see how the men and women working today were influenced by the giants, pioneers and regular joes and jos of the classic studio era. It means that their work was not in vain, that it has the power to inspire, to influence, to make us care about a place or people that we did not even know before we sat down to watch the movie.

Film, like all art, should be passed down generation to generation because film has the power to show us who we were, where we came from, what was important and what was not. Film has the power to shape our ideas of right and wrong, our moral code (many on this board, me included, have said it was the western and our parents that taught us that a man's word is his bond and the difference between right and wrong) and the films of yesterday still have that power.

Jon Parker is right. All film is worth preserving. Who among us wants to the job of saying what can be saved, what can be shown and what can't? I'm sure there are a few people who would step up and want to decide for all of us. But it doesnt' work that way with film. Film is an art form. The stories, the characters, the works of art don't change.

What changes is our reactions to them as we mature. Films that I thought were minor and/or fluff when I was a teenager in Las Vegas or even a young adult, I now treasure because I have grown up.

You can't say horror films (or any other genre) have no place on TCM and not expect to get some posts from people who like that genre and believe they have as much right to be shown as all the other classics.

Film inspires people to care passionately about the ones they like and the ones they don't like. But none of us has the right to stand up and say it shouldn't be shown. If TCM is going to show a film I don't agree with, or I don't like, I will watch something else. And those that love the film can watch it.

All films matter, not just the ones we love, because all films tell us something about who we are as a people, as a society and as a culture. When we are long gone from this earth, hopefully the films will live on to tell future generations of not only our time but the times before us as well.

Bbunny1940 - I won't be watching it. I don't watch TCM for talk shows.

It's not a talk show. It falls within the filmmaking form "documentary." Can't say TCM invented it...it's been around awhile.

And you're evading the question.

Lz:

I'll be watching Bogdanovich also, and you are correct in your estimation of film in general and its worth and meaning.

I got so hung up on Rob Zombie, that I lost my perspective. TCM has always shown its share of horror, including 'Dracula', 'the Mummy' and others like it, the difference is they showed one movie at a time, they didn't devote one whole evening and night to the genre every week...that's my objection, along with showing the newer really bloody ones. I'm sorry if I offend, you know that, but 'Night of the Living Dead' does NOT belong on TCM, if it is a classic, then it is an example of classic trashy movie making, let's not say it's classic for its camera work, or make-up, it is trash period. As Loretta Lynn said, "When I see trash, I put it in the garbage can".

Regarding these posts, all I can say is, I do resent me and some other posters being generalized as 'old ****' and loving the 'good ole days'. Personal references are not necessary in posting. And unfortunately I can see now why some posters get so carried away, I try to explain my posts when I disagree, and don't feel I should be attacked for my opinion of an actor, a host, or programming in general.

Anne