Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
disgusted

TCM commercial

Anne,

I appreciate your post and also understand your dislike of modern horror films. There will be others that will come to the defense of "Night" because to them it is part of the progression of horror films that began back when films were just learning to walk. And, no matter what any of us think of that film (or any other), we should respect that there are those who love that film and will enjoy watching it. There is no right or wrong in this debate and that's the beauty of the film.

As for the posts getting a little too personal, I think that might come from the broad paintbrush that some posters use when making generalizations about the different generations, their likes and dislikes, their attitudes. No one should use such broad strokes and not expect that those who fall into that general age (whether it is today's generation or us old **** baby boomers) frame are going to sit by and take it quietly.

Sterotyping everyone (whether by age or anything else) in a post only results in all those that don't fit that sterotype to jump in and set the record straight because they don't fit that mold.

Maybe, smaller brush strokes when painting the canvas of our posts will help when it comes to general statements of age and attitude.

It's been a very tough summer on these boards for many reasons but I am hopeful that the summer of our discontent is behind us and we can return to talking about the thing that brings here, the movies.

Pinpoint dates for good old days.

I'll try, from my own memories at 61.

50's & 60's - Lifestyles were slower, simpler, and safer. We could walk the street and park, after dark. The whole family, from grandparents to grandkids, Aunts, Uncles, and cousins all picnicked in the park on Sundays and holidays. Teens watched out for their little cousins and Dad taught everyone how to drive a car.

My kids, nearing 40 would consider the late 60's to early 80's. Almost everybody lived in suburbs, took buses to school and Mom worked part time as a clerk while dad babysat. Dad could still teach driving, it was a choice between him and driver's ed.

People in their 30's probably think of the 70's and 80's. Mom worked all day, they were latch key kids, many had single parents and lots of freedom, but family respect and love was still a home staple.

People in their 20's don't really have any 'good old days' yet because they're too busy living their lives now - They don't need memmories yet.

Nostalgia comes with age, and things always seem better then, than now.

Anne

mrsl, I have to offer up a mea culpa. I used the term 'old ****' about myself, sarcastically, as I am more than a little weary of the assault by the media to polarize those over...well, over what today? 25?

I admit it, I miss the 'good ole days'. I never dreamed I'd be associating the 'good ole days' with a time that had a dearth of technological advances, but did have manners.

I grew up in the 1950s and 1960s, as I've said, and those days had their share of horrors, to be sure. I was party to the generation that said 'don't trust anyone over 30', and now that is coming back to bite me, because what goes around does indeed come around.

I resent the media's disregard for anyone over 50, even though this strata of society may have the disposable income that might be attractive to them. The media is more interested in the pocketbook of the 'tween and the teen and the young adult who doesn't care if Beyonce is selling Prada tampons or Paris Hilton is wearing Gucci underwear, they gotta have it.

I don't care about Rob Zombie, hell I don't care about 85% of what is on television or in the movies. When TCM is showing a day of shorts as they are on the 15th, well, that's great and I have to figure out how to tape around the clock. When they show Night of the Living Dead, I will give my VCR a break.

This place has gotten ugly lately, but again, I applaud TCM for allowing us to speak on and on without interfering. Trust me, that is a rarity on the Internet message boards.

I'm sorry I threw out the terms 'old ****' and 'good ole days'. Some of the people on these boards, even newcomers, seem bent on divisiveness and I don't have the class to leave, as GM did.

I meant no disrepect to true old ****, Anne, I meant it with all fondness and camaraderie.

dolores

do you believe there are any horrors that are classic? I mean Halloween is a classic that spawned and endless genre of explotation of the film. Or is that too late...or too bloody... or too close to the present... or too many sequels to be a classic??? The attack is not personal, but to observe the mindset as nostalgic vs.realistic is the point. Camera angles, sound design, special efx as well as budget restraints and storyline should not be limited by the restraints of timeliness.

I can answer both questions with the same answer. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) was a "classic" horror movie, and "the good ole days" was June 28, 1978, at the Orange Drive-In with a certain special little someone watchin Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Enuf said.

TBickle:

> do you believe there are any horrors that are

> classic?

I've already answered this question. 'Dracula', 'The Mummy', and 'Frankenstein', alll the originals ARE Classics. These movies made you look and see, All draculas since Bela have copied his outfit, no originality there. At one point in all three movies, you feel sorry for the 'monster' because none of them asked for their lot, whether in life or death. The sight of Frankenstein with the little girl is heartbreaking, then chilling because he's going to kill her. Dracula loved the girl, but she ran from him in fright. How can anyone watch the preparations for the mummy and not feel both pity and horror at his fate? These films make you rely on your senses without aid of blasting your eardrums, or seeing horrific sights.

Hence, Camera angles, sound design, special fx as well as budget restraints and storyline should not be limited by the restraints of timeliness. Therefore Halloween and its ilk or sequels to me are not considered as Classic, they rely on those things you listed. But now I'm going to shock you, GET READY, I believe one day 'Nightmare on Elm Street' will be regarded as a classic, simply because of its ingenuity, The dreams turning real, some of the camera action, and dreamlike lighting even in color, made it a unique film. Now I'm only saying the original mind you, all the others were just imitations.

Anne

People in their 20's don't really have any 'good old days' yet because they're too busy living their lives now - They don't need memmories yet.>>

Everyone needs memories, regardless of their age. As we grow older, the time boundaries of the good ole days fluctuate. When I was in my 20s, the good ole days were when I was kid growing up in Las Vegas. Now that I am older, that time frame expands out to encompass my teenage years. Thirty years from now when I am almost 80 (God willing), the good ole days will include the days I am living right now.

It's not the good ole days that change but us. As we mature, what matters to us changes.

As for the good ole days, yes they were filled with long summer days, lots of swimming and very little care in the world for me but I was five years old.

For others much older than me, the good ole days included very dark days:

Segregation and Jim Crow laws that kept blacks from voting, from equal educations, from being able to sit at the same lunch counters with whites.

Religious prejudice kept Jews and others from being able to join civic and service organizations as well as get turned away from hotels.

Ethnic prejudice and hysteria kept Japanese Americans interred during WW2 and when they were finally released they discovered there was no there to go back to because all they had owned was siezed by the government and sold.

Women, who had experienced great personal freedom during WW2 working in the factories and taking care of the household found out they were expected to return to the kitchen, fix the dinner, raise the kids and let hubby pay the bills and take care of everything because, after all, all those numbers in the checking and savings accounts were too much for the little woman to handle.

America was a very different country fifty and sixty years ago. She had some growing to do and it hasn't all been pleasant and it hasn't always been easy to experience or watch. But America had to grow up, just as we had to grow up.

The good ole days are always better looking back then when you are actually living them because the truth is, everyday life is full of pain, laughter, heartache, anger, sadness and all the other emotions that make us human.

The good ole days are filled with fondness, a little sadness for the people that are not with us any longer, a longing for a simplier time and place and lots of love and joy.

And those are two very different things.

After reading this thread, I hope that what some of you are saying about TCM slowly becoming AMC is not true.

After seven and a half years of calling, writing, and emailing, my cable company is finally adding Turner Classic Movies to their channel lineup at the end of this month. How sad, if down the road, this long wait turns out to be for nothing.

MovieGal53

lzcutter:

Of course you're right about all you say, but remember my opening lines:

pinpoint dates for the good old days. I'll try from my own memories, at 61.

I was writing from my own memories, I was a young wife in the 60's and by 1966 I had four little kids, I didn't have time or the inclination to read or watch the news, so the fight for civil rights came to me later in historical reading. To get kids from 2 months old to 4 years old bathed, fed, and in bed left me little time to see the news, I generally passed out on the couch by 9:00. So my memories of the good old days are as I described them. I have a lot of compassion for the people who struggled through everything that went on, but for me, it was a good, sweet time.

(except for the memory of the a**h**e, I married.)

Anne

[nobr]Fear not and keep the faith and all will be well, MovieGal.[/nobr]

[nobr]And most of all: ignore the neurotic postings of the ChickenLittle Brigade 522.gif[/nobr]

[nobr]Do not enable them by giving any attention nor lending any credence to their 'The End Is Near' signboards. Ignore them as one does such loons on the street.[/nobr]

All they care to post is nay-saying, fear-mongering pseudo-concerns which are utterly counterproductive to commending and expressing their supposed valuing of TCM

Doom&gloom'ers are dime-a-dozen wannabe's just dying to say "I told you so" even at the expense of the loss of the very thing they profess to hold dear. In their heart of hearts, they want TCM to fail so they can feel smug self-satsfaction, the dysfunctional SadSacks.

TCM personnel here on the boards have repeatedly assured we true fans and devotees that all is well. And there is nothing indicating otherwise - the programming is as consistently high-quality and diverse as it has ever been.

Don't let the delightful treat you've now been afforded be soured by dimwits.

[nobr]TCM is constant as the Northern Star1417.gif[/nobr]

~Peace~

S A M

[nobr]527.gif[/nobr]

TCM fans:

None of my posts were meant to be attacks. They were honest points of debate. I think I offered some fairly good points, questions and positions that could have been addressed by you. I hope they will still. I am very interested in hearing what you have to say.

I respect your opinions. But when I challenge them, that shouldn't be dismissed as a personal attack. It should be a request that you pony up and either argue your points further or whittle down mine. Afterall, I could be wrong.

Maybe.

//But when I challenge them, that shouldn't be dismissed as a personal attack.//

Saliently eloquent as ever, Bb.

I myself never denigrate any individual nor make personal attacks.

I do, on the other hand, never hesitate to discount ideas and attitudes which I find incorrect and potentially harmful, such as defaming TCM.

If such expos?s offend those who are evidencing such ideas or attitudes - oh well, them's the breaks. Maybe they should take a moment and reflect on the contradiction of their argument.

Indeed, I do not even know exactly who the naysayers were whose posts were causing Gal potential distress (I haven't the time to devote to reading every post in a thread - I am after all, usually watching TCM), but I noticed hers (the most recent) and inferred that some folks were, apparently, once again, blathering on about how the end is near for TCM (instead of actually being off watching TCM), and such misguided posts must be invalidated, and so came I, riding across the desert on a fine Arab Charger.

?The tattooed mini-skirted woman featured in a TCM commercial which ran Saturday morning at 10 a.m. was disturbing, disgusting and completely inappropriate for the TCM channel.?

I?ve seen the promo a few times now, and I?ve been able to study it a little. Basically they are mixing some modern type color stuff of the chick with the tattoos with some stark scenes from old B&W drama movies. I think the editor on this was just great. But the chick with the tattoos seems a little weird to me. At first she looks like she is in her early 20s, but after studying the promo a few times, I?d say she?s about 35 years old or more.

I don?t know why she goes out on the balcony with her top off and only her skirt on, and she looks like she?s thinking about jumping off. I?m not sure what that has to do with classic old movies. I think maybe the producer of the promo is a young person who always wanted to make classic French or Italian avant-guard movies in the 1950s, but do them in modern style in color with women in tattoos, but it?s too late for that so he/she makes avant-guard promos for TCM.

"Bitter ..party of one..Bitter?? "

Wow, your personal attacks on the model in that last thread seem to show us all your lack of class, taste and may I mention ...vocabulary. Stunning..truly you are. Maybe you need a hug? yes? Maybe not breast feed long enough as a child. Need someone to pat you on the head and tell you that your special? Angry little thing aren't you. Lets try to keep this thread on an adult level. Voice your opinion, yes..but maybe in a grown up way. Who are you people? I saw the commercial and couldn't take my eyes off the tv. I am a huge fan of T.C.M.. I believe (thank god) I have the ability to appreciate ART in all it's forms. This piece was "ART"fully done. I found nothing "offensive" in this ad. I thought it was highly creative and stunning. You don't have to be young to apprecaite it. What you need is an eye for talent. Good job T.C.M.

You find it offensive(?) two words...follow me here....."REMOTE CONTROL"

Message was edited by:

dancer76

Well said Fred:

Bbunny:

I believe if you look at my posts, each time I answered you, I did it primarily point by point. My main problem is not to gloat or say I told you so, but I've seen it happen time and time again.

AMC - Non Commercial - within one year became commercial

TNT - Same as above

Country Music - played a few cross-overs - today I heard Bon Jovie on 99.5 FM

RocknRoll - to heavy rock, to heavy metal, to punk rock, to rap

Movies - from everyday occurrences to sex and violence

Movie channels e.g. HBO, MAX - now have about 40% station-made movies and weekly programs

Cars - 15 years ago, buy small gas economic - now SUV's, and mini vans

I know things change, usually for the better, but not always. I've seen changes from one little concession to a whole new conception.

If you watch old movies with fashion shows in them, the clothes were geared to women, now because designers are designing for youngsters, even the movies are overrun with 17 to 30's. I know there are still movies made for older sets, but the majority are aimed at teens.

That's all I'm saying, I've seen a lot of change in my time but the unfavorable one's (to me) happen very slowly and creep in until you don't realize what's happened to your way of life. Good Lord, I can't imagine how the people born early in the 1900's felt through the 1960's.

Anne

Anne,

I did not mean for my post to sound like I was attacking you. I meant it for all of us who tend to look back at the good ole days with fondness and love.

Everyone's good ole day is somebody's bad ole day and we have to be willing to acknowledge that otherwise, what was all the growth for. Without the growth, there would be no Stonewall and gays rights, without the growth the South might still be in the clinches of Jim Crow, without the growth, we would not be where we are in the 21st century: A country with a ways to go but at least evolving and growing.

I meant no disrespect. All of our memories have value. Just as how we (the universal we) feel about films have value.

I loved the commercial, keep up the good work TCM. The use of alternative rock music for a soundtrack is refreshing. I've been a fan of TCM since the beginning and appreciate the creative promotions, more importantly the inclusion of spotlight features such as the Janus Films on this month are LONG overdue. Classic films are by no means made only in the USA. TCM has shown many great foreign films on their World Cinema slot, but rarely in prime time which makes this month very special indeed. Bravo

At the heart of the commercial is the 50th Anniversary salute to Janus Films. Because of Janus Films, we have seen some of the best foreign films, cutting edge New Wave films from the 1950s and 1960s and experimental films.

They may not be everybody's cup of tea but Janus would not have stayed in business this long if no one was leasing/renting/watching the films that they distributed.

I think the commercial is at its heart, a valentine to Janus Films for bringing us films that we might never have seen but many that have become beloved classics.

O.K. Folks - We're all agreed - some of us love the new commercial, and some of us don't.

Some of us are afraid the new element coming in means a change in TCM, - some of us don't.

Let's all go to the bar and have a drinkiepoo - Coffee, Tea, Bailey's?

lzcutter - Luv Ya :x

Bbunny - New friends, huh? :D

Stoney - I get second dibs on that pillow ;-)

SamTherapy - Read my post to you on the Rob Zombie thread. :0

Anne

> My comment was in response to "sweetbabykmd"...

> obviously.

>

> Message was edited by:

> dancer76

I have no idea what you are talking about. I never said anything about finding it offensive, nor did I make spelling or grammatical errors. I think you have your posters mixed up. I did quote someone who made errors, maybe that confused you? Are you the **** from the video?

I finally got to see this commercial! Finally. I know I could watch it on YouTube, but it's just not the same.

As always, it's a very cohesive, professional and artsy promo. I'm not crazy about it, simply because I've seen them do better promos (March's Divorce Remorse promo with "I Will Survive" and the December 2005, "Make it Home" promo ring a bell), but it's not horrible by any stretch of the imagination. To me it just lacks excitement. Does anyone remember the January promo with Robert Montgomery and the anime films? That was an exciting promo! This one is just...I think a lot of it has to do with the song. I'm not against "hard" rock by any means, but there are so many great bands out there and I'm just not crazy about this one. It's not catchy enough for me to remember it. I was singing the Goldfrapp song for days on end.

I do like the idea of the woman looking through the telescope and seeing all the different images from the films TCM is showing this month. That was a neat idea, very well-executed! But I don't see how it's disgusting or offensive. Disgusting or offensive would be her being completely naked or killing people or something truly horrible. This was just a short, artsy promo and hopefully, next month the ad dept. will step it up for October. Everyone's entitled to an off month now and then.

March's Divorce Remorse promo with "I Will Survive" and the December 2005, "Make it Home" promo ring a bell

Are these available here? I looked under 'Videos' and don't see them, or, I could not be searching correctly.

Thanks.

sweetbabykmd "...What does a butt ugly tattooed woman have to do with the classic movies from the golden era? If they think they are getting a bunch of younger folks to watch TCM just because of this type of commercial they are all wrong. They may sit and watch it, but as soon as a classic movie starts they will change the channel anyways."

I think your comment above was seen as a rather emotional response evoked from being offended. "Butt ugly tattooed woman" doesn't come across as being an objective comment on the commercial but more of a personal indication of being bothered or offended by the female depicted in the spot.

If there was no offense, then why respond in such a derrogetory and somewhat emotional way?

I think we need to remember that these message boards are place for tactful conversation. I dont mean everyone has to agree (of course not, what would be the fun in that?) but let's remember where we are.

I liked the spot quite a bit, and I actually think it's a perfect metaphor for the way people treat boards like this. We all "interact" in a very cut-off and distanced way (just like the woman in the TCM spot) when we're in online forums, and it can become easy to forget that people are involved in these things. Androids with no human emotion don't create these spots...people with ideas for what they think TCM can represent (to all people, not just one age group) are the ones creating these commercials. If you didn't like the spot, it doesn't mean TCM is falling down and will only be catering to MTV addicts, it means you didn't like this one. You'll probably like the next one. Why do they all have to be the same, or focused on the same group? It was most likely someone's vision of an artful way to represent what this month's films embody.

And if, by some chance, it does make someone in the "younger crowd" sit down and watch a classic film, then I think it was doubly successful.