Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM commercial

disgusted

Boy, did you take the words right off my fingers! I agree with everything you wrote, including paying the creators a LOT MORE money to keep them there. And I, too, absolutely love every TCM montage. I have been whistling that "even now" tune since March 2005, not knowing what it's called nor who sings it. And did I go out and buy Imogen Heap's album, "Speak For Yourself" after I heard "Daylight Robbery" on TCM? You bet!

I have always been a Beck fan and I am now a The Muse fan thanks to TCM. What a great promo! It brings back film noir all in two minutes. If Bogie was still making movies, that tattooed chick would be in one of them.

What a shame not to put these on the TCM website! If TCM is trying to target a younger audience, you can bet that's where the kids will be. I have emailed this month's promo to all three of my kids because I know they will love it.

I hate to see these great little films go the way of the silents...shelved away and forgotten with a mere handful available for viewing. They are an art all by themselves and shouldn't be hidden away and forgotten. Why, the debate about this month's alone has tickled me considerably! Like it or don't like it, you can't say it's not extremely creative!

These films aren't some celluloid memory closets, they're vital, living works of art that should challenge us no matter how old they are. The promos make viewers reassess what it is they're watching and when you catch a bit of a movie you know, you're forced to change the context and your perception of that context.

Kudos, Jason Els, on this observation. That's EXACTLY the point those of us who are more paranoid about TCM turning into AMC are trying to get across. The films from the past are ART and not money-producing media that some corporate suit should be trifling with. They are HISTORY and as such should be given landmark status.

bobncase, go to the Raygun website (I have had luck there) and replay to your heart's content. tcmprogammr guy said it was a rights issue, but yes, they would get a gazillion 'eyeballs' if they put those excellent videos on this website. I can't get enough of Muse's Time Is Running Out.

I'll be hard pressed to complain about TCM in the future after this executive decision. I'd be interested to know if a suit hired Raygun or whether it was some cool kid from the mail room.

tcmprogrammr, inquiring cynical minds want to know! :)

dolores

I have to admit, I don't know what the heck you people are all talking about. When a commercial, preview, short or whatever you call it comes on, that's when I get up and dust, or wash a couple of dishes, or anything else that has to be done. The montages are just 'commercials' to me, I couldn't tell you one from another. I like the old 'beginning' for the morning movies when the guy sings The Sunny Side of the Street, because I'm usually still in bed. When I'm watching network T.V. and a commercial comes on, that's my cue to go do something, same as when a movie ends on TCM, I walk away for a few minutes. The only reason I noticed the new one, with the tattooed lady, was out of the corner of my eye I spotted her, and wondered why such a yuk looking 'girl' was on TCM, then I heard the 'music' and said, "What the He**? Next I knew, everybody was talking about it like it was a movie or something. I didn't like it that first time, and I still don't like it today, and I dread the thought that it will be on all through September, and possibly October. EEGAD! For the first time, in all my years of watching TCM, I won't let my little granddaughter sit in the living room when I'm not there to draw her attention away from the T.V. because I don't want to expose her to that kind of junk when she's at my house. Maybe I'll get lucky and the disc will get scratched. C'mon TCM technicians, get careless, will you please?!!!

Geez, I never realized the commercials had names.

So, that's my opinion.

Anne

LOL, mrsl, hey I'm the first to do a Chicken Little on TCM and commercials, but since I'm into techno music (or whatever the heck MUSE is) and MTV videos, I'm enjoying these. So, am I a hypocrite since these are commercials? Or are they not commercials, since they're self promotion, which even PBS does?

I don't know anymore, I'm so confused lately on these boards.

To my mind, mrsl, a commercial is something wherein a sponsor has paid for advertising time and is trying to make you believe you need a BRAND NEW cell phone, because the perfectly good cell phone you have is outdated or ugly or has cooties or something. In other words, create a need and fulfill it aka conspicuous consumption.

These videos that Raygun created, imo, are the best that the medium of video has to offer. Again, IN MY OPINION. I like loud music and erratic images and a cohesive theme, IF done well.

In addition, I just realized what MUSE's Time Is Running Out reminds me of, at least the beginning chords. It reminds me of Twin Peaks, another whacko show from years ago that I loved.

At the same time, I also love Chet Baker's Sunny Side Of The Street, so you can't go by me.

dolores

To me, this promo-commercial that has decorated so many lives on this board (bored?) sounds like a whining teenage angst Radiohead rip-off. For those that rely on the Turner Classic Movie promotion department to determine your musical tastes for you, then maybe you need to get out more. There are actually other tv stations that play this stuff on a regular basis. I have to turn it down when it comes on. If I want to listen to that crap I can always turn on the radio. Hopefully next month, TCM can do a polka music video and convert you all to Lawrence Welk for a month. And ahh woneah and ahh twooah.

I wonder if there is a whining teen-angst (read sounds like yowling cats or are they mewling?) music video forum where we could go discuss old movies?

Probably not.

TCM has already done Radiohead. Twice, I recall

once in Sept 2001 (Robert Taylor star of month) and for the big westerns festival

and I think the technical term is promo, since it's promoting an event on the channel

it's not selling something

it's not a commercial or an advertisment

sincerely,

a whiny teenager ;)

No, I wasn't challenging you, I was just wondering so I could seek out Radiohead. I am still enjoying Time Is Running Out.

Re Charlie Chaplin, it's usually I who is bashing him, and posters who counter me. So on this 'commercial' thingy, I find myself in the unique position of defending something that is not loved by the majority here.

No, NortBanba, we're trying not to persecute here anymore. There's been too much of that lately and we've lost too many good people.

LOL, yup you've trumped me!

dolores

Calm Down Dolores:

Now I know, They're POMOS! I seriously didn't know what you guys were talking about, I have no idea what Muse is, or Radiohead, or Time is running out, are they the songs that are played behind the montages? You were referring to them by those names, and you think YOU'RE confused, think about us who are not familiar with these 'bands names' or 'songs names'. That's all I meant. As I've said before, if you don't get what I'm saying, just ask me, because I realize sometimes I ramble and may undermine my point. I understand I was misunderstood last night when I was trying to be helpful when asked a question, and I don't want that to happen again. I am a person who does not mind being asked what I mean, I will try to explain better, just so long as the question is asked nicely and not hidden in a snide, or insulting remark. Some people on these boards can teasingly call to mind a mistake, and that makes me laugh, but others are downright nasty and only leads to hurt feelings.

Got it???. . . . . O.K.

Anne

Muse does, in fact, sound a lot like Radiohead, especially RH's second two albums ("The Bends" and "OK Computer"). Matt Bellamy, the lead singer for Muse, is pretty up front about Radiohead's influence on him -- high falsetto singing, big anthemic rock songs, etc. In fact, Radiohead almost chose "Muse" as their band name back in the late 80s. Also, coincidentally, all of the members of Muse grew up around Exeter, which is where Thom Yorke went to university about a decade earlier.

By the way, I don't really think that this particular promo is quite the work of genius that so many posters seem to say it is. Basically, it's just an example of carefully choosing and editing a few clips (of already beautifully filmed movies) to a pre-existing rock song. As a "music video," it's very pleasing, and as I mentioned before, the real interest is just in seeing well-known film clips taken out of context and juxtaposed with an unusual medium (rock music). Frankly, I don't think that the "story" that the promo tells (the woman with the telescope) is very well conceived or thought out. TCM has certainly had better promos.

Message was edited by:

Quiller

Quiller,

I think what we are seeing here with the posters that really like the promo is that, for them, it is a great meld of images and music.

Never underestimate the use of music. It can make all the difference between an okay promo and a great promo.

Those that don't like the promo as much seem to be the ones asking the questions about who is the girl, why does she have tatooes, what's with the telescope.

So, is it a good promo or a great promo. Depends what you are looking at for.

I think it's a good promo. A little too arty and cold for my tastes and the music used is not to my taste. I think it does a very good job of putting the spotlight on the Janus Films Anniversary and in that regard it does its job well.

But, I think there have been some great promos on TCM since they changed their graphics package and there are those that feel this is a great promo.

All film, whether its promos, commercials, television, movies, video, whatever is subjective and there is no right or wrong. Only how it makes it us feel.

lzcutter,

I think you're right. It is a well-done promo, so I'd agree and call it "good." But as a work of art in its own right, it's a little too vague to be "great." But that's OK, because it doesn't have to be.

I guess that one of the things I find really amusing about it -- and this whole thread -- is that I've known and liked Muse for about five years and never in a million more would have expected to hear their music turn up on TCM. Much less discover that so many people are wild about the marriage between TCM and Muse.

As surprised as I was, Quiller, to find I liked 'techno' music (I didn't know it had a name). I'm sure you can tell me the name of the song that was used in a Volkswagen commercial a few years ago, wherein the girl was dancing in ways that didn't seem physically possible? I remember reading at the time that she really could move her upper body that way, that the film wasn't altered.

At any rate, my fondness for songs like this...does I'm In Love With A Strict Machine also qualify?...just goes to show that you can teach an old dog new tricks!

:)

dolores

I'm still trying to figure out why she smears lipstick on her face, and why does she go out on the balcony and take her top off? Like Fred asked in another thread, is she going to jump?>>

She's sad. She'll never be as pretty as the actresses and her live will never be as glamourous or exciting as in the movies.

Something we all feel, at time or another, no doubt.

I get the impression that she is weary of everything, including the lump of pretty boy on her bed. She seems to get more enjoyment from looking through the telescope into other people's lives...maybe her S/O won't get her cable and she can't see TCM!...than she does in her own life. And a decadent life it seems, considering the view from that apartment.

However, money can't buy happiness or so they say and as the song says Time Is Running Out for her.

I imagine her need for the tattoos was to prove to herself that she could still feel and was alive, and I get the same impression from her taking her top off on the balcony, she wants to be free and unencumbered and feel the air on her skin.

Maybe.

dolores

I just had to get on here to say that I agree with the original thought here. This commercial is pure junk.

If I wanted to watch disgusting punks with tatoos (yes, punks are disgusting), listen to noise that sounds like it's demons rising out of hell (what some have deemed "music" here), and see the rest of the "intellectual artistry" (aka: garbage) in this commercial, I'd watch modern movies and MTV etc..

Play some Sinatra, for crying out loud.

The producers of the promo were probably constrained by a budget.

Could you imagine how much it would cost to license a Sinatra tune?

And what does any Sinatra tune have to do with William Holden? Or Janus Films? Or movie shorts?

That being said, I love Sinatra.

"what some have deemed "music" here"

Hmmm.... What else can one "deem" a sequence of mathematically related tones set to a consistently identifiable rhythm? It deserves to be called "music" as much as Tibetan hymns, traditional Armenian folk songs, one of Alban Berg's operas, or a song sung by Sinatra. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not music. (And I happen to like Sinatra, too.)

Have any of these promos ever set anything to "Mack the Knife." Now there's a song with great potential!

Archived