Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Accidental Viewing

CaveGirl

This post is about when you accidentally watch a movie that you had no plans to watch or any interest in previously, and then were glad you did watch even though it was all an accident.

This happened to me yesterday when a movie started on TCM and the credits intriqued me. I saw a hand and then a magnifying glass, and it was focused over the title card, which said "Tom Thumb" and then the name "Russ Tamblyn". I never had anything against this film but always seemed to miss the beginning and I have a rule not to watch films unless I see it from inception.

The credits were so cute I decided to watch, particularly since I saw the partipation of George Pal and I'm glad I did. The movie was great, very entertaining and Tamblyn's acrobatics were out of this world, as was the stop-action animation. So this is what I call "accidental viewing" and often it works out that what one never really wanted to see is better than what they do want to see.

Have you had any "accidental viewing" of a film that surprised you with its style or grace or other merits?

• Like 4

This post is about when you accidentally watch a movie that you had no plans to watch or any interest in previously, and then were glad you did watch even though it was all an accident.

This happened to me yesterday when a movie started on TCM and the credits intriqued me. I saw a hand and then a magnifying glass, and it was focused over the title card, which said "Tom Thumb" and then the name "Russ Tamblyn". I never had anything against this film but always seemed to miss the beginning and I have a rule not to watch films unless I see it from inception.

The credits were so cute I decided to watch, particularly since I saw the partipation of George Pal and I'm glad I did. The movie was great, very entertaining and Tamblyn's acrobatics were out of this world, as was the stop-action animation. So this is what I call "accidental viewing" and often it works out that what one never really wanted to see is better than what they do want to see.

Have you had any "accidental viewing" of a film that surprised you with its style or grace or other merits?

I love both Russ Tamblyn and "Tom Thumb" and I'm glad that you finally got to enjoy it.

Accidental viewing, yes, just recently, too.

"Honeymoon Hotel" on TCM in the afternoon, the cast list intrigued me - Robert Morse, Robert Goulet and Nancy Kwan.  Also, Jill St. John and Keenan Wynne.

On the surface, the film seems a rather generic comedy about two guys who want "some" and can't get "any".

But, underneath, it's really about two guys who won't get "any", because they already have each other.

Anyway, the film has such high production values and the cast couldn't be more ingratiating.

• Like 2

I love both Russ Tamblyn and "Tom Thumb" and I'm glad that you finally got to enjoy it.

Accidental viewing, yes, just recently, too.

"Honeymoon Hotel" on TCM in the afternoon, the cast list intrigued me - Robert Morse, Robert Goulet and Nancy Kwan.  Also, Jill St. John and Keenan Wynne.

On the surface, the film seems a rather generic comedy about two guys who want "some" and can't get "any".

But, underneath, it's really about two guys who won't get "any", because they already have each other.

Anyway, the film has such high production values and the cast couldn't be more ingratiating.

I think I've only seen bits of that film, but I do like anything Robert Morse is in, so appreciate your take. Often these throwaway type films will have some really worthwhile bits.

• Like 2

"The Outlaw Josey Wales" (1976) scanning though the guide, thought I watch it a couple of years ago.  Didn't know it was that funny, poor dog. The "losing his touch" Indian added to it. :lol:

It's been a long time since I've seen TOJW. I agree though, sometimes a film gets a take by others, who do not appreciate its innate charm. 

CG, what you describe is a happy phenomenon. To be confronted with something not anticipated. And then to allow yourself to whisked along. That happened with My Dream is Yours just the other day. I had seen it before but I deem it possible that I would have never thought to view it again. Even those first few minutes I was ever so near giving it up but the young fresh-faced image of Doris Day singing those "boring" zippy, ever so over-the-top corny songs held me, temporarily I thought. Don't know exactly when I got hooked but I ended up watching the whole thing. It's nice being caught unawares like that. I didn't have to grapple with whether or not I really wanted to watch, I was ambushed and the decision was made for me. And I can spend entirely too much time scanning page after page of Netflix without being able to make a firm decision on anything. TCM should have time slots where the movie is not announced. Just tune in and take a chance. Decide to watch the first 20 minutes, no matter what. If you don't like it. then go back to the dreaded Netflix page. Argh.

• Like 3

CG, what you describe is a happy phenomenon. To be confronted with something not anticipated. And then to allow yourself to whisked along. That happened with My Dream is Yours just the other day. I had seen it before but I deem it possible that I would have never thought to view it again. Even those first few minutes I was ever so near giving it up but the young fresh-faced image of Doris Day singing those "boring" zippy, ever so over-the-top corny songs held me, temporarily I thought. Don't know exactly when I got hooked but I ended up watching the whole thing. It's nice being caught unawares like that. I didn't have to grapple with whether or not I really wanted to watch, I was ambushed and the decision was made for me. And I can spend entirely too much time scanning page after page of Netflix without being able to make a firm decision on anything. TCM should have time slots where the movie is not announced. Just tune in and take a chance. Decide to watch the first 20 minutes, no matter what. If you don't like it. then go back to the dreaded Netflix page. Argh.

Yes, I know just what you mean, Laffite.

You don't mean to watch something but then serendipitously it often becomes quite interesting.

An unknown quantity can be more fulfilling often than what one wanted originally.

• Like 1

Wow, laffite, that's a great idea ! I don't know if you were serious, but I am.I think it would be a lot of fun for TCM to have a "surprise of the week"; just as you say, nobody (except, obviously, the programmers) would know what was airing on TCM at, say, 8 pm on a Wednesday night (for example - - could be any time slot). So we'd turn on TCM and be (hopefully) blown away by whatever mystery movie they were showing. 

The more I think about it, the more I like this idea !

ps: nice to see you posting again. Maybe I've just been on different threads than you, but I hadn't seen you around for a while.

• Like 1

This happened just today with the film The Last Wave starring Richard Chamberlain and Gulpilil. I'm not a big RC fan although a couple of his movies are quite good. The Last Wave, where has it been? I'm a big sci-fi/fantasy/paranormal movie fan (well everything) but I was quite please that I was able to record the entire film as it had already been on for 15 min or so and I hadn't seen the very beginning. Pleased, quite pleased.

TCM should have time slots where the movie is not announced. Just tune in and take a chance. Decide to watch the first 20 minutes, no matter what. If you don't like it. then go back to the dreaded Netflix page. Argh.

I like this idea, too.  If I want my son to watch something with me, I ask him to just watch the first ten minutes, pretty often he's hooked by then.  His short attention span generation tends to think they aren't going to like something that's black and white or without much action, or the title throws him off.  I recently got him to watch, "Wuthering Heights," that way.  He's in love with Merle Oberon now.

If I'm channel surfing and a movie is about to start I always watch the first few minutes, at least.  There's something about the  very start of a film -- particularly if it's MGM -- that still gives me that thrill I had as a kid going to the show.  If I only had some Necco wafers to open.

Today(or tonight I think) TCM is showing a late '60's British sci-fi thriller FIVE MILLION YEARS TO EARTH  which I now understand to be a film that's actually a sequel to a couple of earlier Hammer releases, based on some sort of television serial.  I'm not really all that sure...

But, one day back in late 1971, while after arriving home from the afternoon shift at the Cadilac plant, and when normally nothing was on the "Late, Late Show" but old CHARLIE CHAN flicks, or BLONDIE movies, THIS one was on, and I caught it halfway through.

I thought it a bizarre concept and really dug it.  (no pun intended)

Saw it from beginning to end a few times since then, and always enjoyed seeing it.  Not sure if it's because of my thinking it's really all that good of a movie, or it invokes memories of a pleasant time of my life, or which.

The same thing surrounds my first viewing of ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST, a few months earlier!  You know, surfing through the only four channels available, and catching it 'bout midway through.

Sepiatone

Today(or tonight I think) TCM is showing a late '60's British sci-fi thriller FIVE MILLION YEARS TO EARTH  which I now understand to be a film that's actually a sequel to a couple of earlier Hammer releases, based on some sort of television serial.  I'm not really all that sure...

But, one day back in late 1971, while after arriving home from the afternoon shift at the Cadilac plant, and when normally nothing was on the "Late, Late Show" but old CHARLIE CHAN flicks, or BLONDIE movies, THIS one was on, and I caught it halfway through.

I thought it a bizarre concept and really dug it.  (no pun intended)

Saw it from beginning to end a few times since then, and always enjoyed seeing it.  Not sure if it's because of my thinking it's really all that good of a movie, or it invokes memories of a pleasant time of my life, or which.

The same thing surrounds my first viewing of ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST, a few months earlier!  You know, surfing through the only four channels available, and catching it 'bout midway through.

Sepiatone

Yes, I saw that years ago not knowing it was connected to the Quartermass stuff. It is a great movie, Sepia!

Well I have stumbled onto the Crime Doctor movies with Warner Baxter that Get-TV has been showing.  These 'doctor plays detective' films made by Columbia from 43 - 47 are only average on the entertainment scale but the 40s settings are nice.   Warner Baxter is a little on the slow \ dull side, say compared to the Lone Wolf character played by Warren William (a very similar 40s Columbia crime \ detective series),   but many of the Dr. films were directed by William Castle and one can find some of his directing style in these films.

There were 10 Crime Doctor films made and I have now seen 6.    Now I'm on a mission to see all 10.  Why?  Well because there are 10 and I have only seen 6!

• Like 2

Noticed last night on the Directv guide "Frozen" was playing, thought I give it a shot.  Movie was fair but the music STINKS! No rhythm or beat - simply dreary.  No wonder parents wanted to throw themselves off a 3rd story balcony

SHUT UP!!

200_s.gif

• Like 1

Noticed last night on the Directv guide "Frozen" was playing, thought I give it a shot.  Movie was fair but the music STINKS! No rhythm or beat - simply dreary.  No wonder parents wanted to throw themselves off a 3rd story balcony

SHUT UP!!

200_s.gif

Really stinks eh?

I've never seen it but I shall take your astute review to heart and keep not seeing it, Hamradio!

Back when the networks had Monday (Tuesday, Wednesday, etc.) Night at the Movies, I turned the TV on one evening, probably to avoid studying, heard the announcer say, "And now, MIRAGE." Got hooked very quickly and loved the film. One of the best thrillers of the 1960s. Much better than studying.

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings